Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Going round a roundabout this morning and passing the last exit before mine and the car started to pull out, I let a shout, nothing abrasive, just STOP and WATCH OUT. Needless to stay, driver followed me down the road, flashing lights, beeping the horn etc. I pulle din at the next bus stop, window came down and the abuse started about it being a two lane roundabout. I just used some unparlimentary language and told them they should learn how to drive, signal and pay attention. Regretted not having my camera on, it started as poor attention, but the follow on was completely unnecessary. All it woudl have taken was a wave of the hand to acknowledge an error, job done, we have all learned, lets move on. Instead it was followed up with intimidation, more bad driving verbal assault (admittedly you could argue this went both ways). They will have gone into work in a rage, I on the other hand, thanks to the wonder of excercise, was calm in a minute or so, and got into work a tiny bit quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Some near misses, some hits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that chap who cycled into the side of the luas must feel like a right twonk.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

that chap who cycled into the side of the luas must feel like a right twonk.

The auld guy in the background who did a legger when the Audi crashed into the Luas made me chuckle.

Fcuking Usain Bolt.

Lets be honest, none of these are surprising, many of will have seen similar done on our cycles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my brother only recently told me (he knew not to tell me at the time - this was probably the early to mid 90s) that he once took my prized muddy fox courier comp when he was going to meet some ladies he wanted to appear cool for. so he decided to arrive in style, and pulled an endo as he got to them in the car park they'd arranged to meet.
    except the brakes on my bike were much better than the brakes on his, which he hadn't accounted for, so he certainly made a strong first impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hurrache wrote: »
    Some near misses, some hits.

Great demo of the effectiveness of airbags there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It looked to me like if the cyclists and some of the pedestrians had kept going instead of pulling back they would have been safer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,222 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

It looked to me like if the cyclists an
    d some of the pedestrians had kept going instead of pulling back they would have been safer

Agreed, but in each case, the tram had a green light.

It looked to me like if the cyclists and some of the pedestrians had kept going instead of pulling back they would have been safer

True but they really should not have been in that position in the 1st place. Nearly all of them increased the risk by stopping but it doesn't mitigate the fact that it was their own stupidity or lack of situational awareness that put them there in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

But its natural to freeze when you hear something beeping at you

Speaking of incorrect beeping, this asshole pulled right up behind me when i was stopped at the lights here. Nearly touching my back tyre.

He tried to bully up inside me then in his bloody rush.

Apologies for the expletives in the audio. I was not all that pleased.

I need a rear camera.

https://streamable.com/l59eu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭micar

Hence why you should never beep at a pedestrian crossing the road........slow down and let them cross... .much better than them stopping and you knocking them down.

Speaking of incorrect beeping, this asshole pulled right up behind me when i was stopped at the lights here. Nearly touching my back tyre.

He tried to bully up inside me then in his bloody rush.

Apologies for the expletives in the audio. I was not all that pleased.

I need a rear camera.

https://streamable.com/l59eu

What a gob****e, he doesn't even take the bus lane then nor had he any reason to.

What a gob****e, he doesn't even take the bus lane then nor had he any reason to.

He was going left up ahead but I think he was trying to get ahead of the traffic by using the bus lane.

I'm embarrassed about my reaction, but I'm fed up with that type of behaviour.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

micar wrote: »
    Hence why you should never beep at a pedestrian crossing the road........slow down and let them cross... .much better than them stopping and you knocking them down.

Or in Dublin in my experience....speed up and beep.
    Very different to my experience down the country where people tend to slow down at least

micar wrote: »

Sometimes idiots need a good wake up call!! Takes alot to make me beep at someone, but if I do, they know about it

He was going left up ahead but I think he was trying to get ahead of the traffic by using the bus lane.

Wouldnt worry about your reaction, imagine what he is saying in his car :)

Wouldnt worry about your reaction, imagine what he is saying in his car :)

That's the annoying thing. It's pure ignorance and impatience.

When he was going by me he sheepishly pointed at the cycle lane inside. I don't think he expected me to react like i did. My facial expression was not exactly radiating happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭buffalo

When he was going by me he sheepishly pointed at the cycle lane inside.

Which is contra-flow anyway and no use to you heading south-bound.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

buffalo wrote: »
    Which is contra-flow anyway and no use to you heading south-bound.
    Are you sure about that or has it changed since the StreetView images were taken?
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3483487,-6.251573,3a,75y,314.9h,85.81t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZ-w-_o9am4AUUeIFRhZwMw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1

I'd be fairly sure it is contraflow. I've gone up it once and there's only room for one cyclist on it (as i met someone coming the other way).

Plus, as you can see in the video, there's a big bicycle drawn on the road in the lane that i am occupying.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't know.
    I don't see any contra flow signs and at the bridge end of the cycle lane, "Look Left" is painted on the footpath for pedestrians (see my Google maps link).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭buffalo

I don't know.
    I don't see any contra flow signs and at the bridge end of the cycle lane, "Look Left" is painted on the footpath for pedestrians (see my Google maps link).

"Look left" as that's where the majority of the traffic is coming from. :) It's not marked very clearly I agree, but it's designed as a continuation of the lane on the bridge, through the crossing, and on to the island where the eternal flame is. The orientation of the bike symbol in the lane is about the only clue though.

I encountered some severe road rage there one day - I was in the middle lane so I could head onto George's Quay, but the guy was apoplectic and screaming out the window that I was an asshole for not using the bike lane. It's about the only time I can recall that I left the road out of fear that he would genuinely run me over, he was absolutely convulsed with rage. I pointed out that it was contra-flow, but he was beyond listening.

Your instinct probably served you well there buffalo in that situation. Really is best to get away from that type of person asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

I don't know.

Its contra flow, designed for a left turn for cyclists coming off the quays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 mistermaster

droidus wrote: »
    Its contra flow, designed for a left turn for cyclists coming off the quays.

You sure? I sometimes cycle along there, and sometimes use that lane when travelling in the same direction as in the video. There's nothing at that end of it (the end where the video starts) to say that you shouldn't enter it there.
    If it IS a contraflow, where are cyclists travelling in the opposite direction supposed to go when they get to that point? Is that not just an abrupt end for them?
    Am confused!

I was expecting language like a dockers but that was quite mild, I greet co workers with more uncivilised tones first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

You sure? I sometimes cycle along there, and sometimes use that lane when travelling in the same direction as in the video. There's nothing at that end of it (the end where the video starts) to say that you shouldn't enter it there.
    If it IS a contraflow, where are cyclists travelling in the opposite direction supposed to go when they get to that point? Is that not just an abrupt end for them?
    Am confused!

It's contraflow continued from the bridge, check Google maps for the toucan crossing

It gets you to the cycle lane at the fire sculpture and you can go across to busaras and out amiens St then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

omri wrote: »
    Smirk all you want. I cant be bothered when Im in 2 tonnes car. I wish it was a requirement for every driver to have a week of cycling as part of drivers licence course. But youre not doing cycling community any favours. Roads are for cars, like it or hate it. Some common sense and mutual respect will save people lives. If you dont care thats your choice. Not the first time people here seem to be very black or white in their views. Which I find strange given that we need to use roads to do this sport.

Roads are for cars? Are you fcukin serious? Where exactly is it that you cycle??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement