Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Chat. (MOD NOTE post# 3949 and post#5279)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    They will be as much use as an ashtray on a motor bike.Already gay Leo&Co are saying they have a "green policy" now that the people gave them a mandate.[to tax the fuk out of us!:mad:] Watch FF/FG steal every GP policy now and integrate it into their national election manifesto as if it was original thinking on their part. Why vote GPI when the "responsible parties" have all these great green ideas?
    No one wants the GP,because rmember what their pirority was when in 2008 the arse was falling out of the country.GP's big concern was banning the Ward Union stag hunting requiring much Dail time.

Yeah this bugs me big time, they tax the living **** out of everything, electricity, fuels of all types, for home heating and transport use, and then say its to encourage the use of "alternative energy and technology". But there are no alternatives.

I think twice before i turn on the welder, or the lathe etc, because it costs so much now, what alternatives can i use ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

oldgit1897 wrote: »
    Yeah this bugs me big time, they tax the living **** out of everything, electricity, fuels of all types, for home heating and transport use, and then say its to encourage the use of "alternative energy and technology". But there are no alternatives.

I think twice before i turn on the welder, or the lathe etc, because it costs so much now, what alternatives can i use ?

I suppose you could go back to a treadle or a pole lathe?:pHave fun machining that 12" by 4" round of 4140.:D Or maybe employ a street urchin/orphan at a penny a day to turn a giant wooden flywheel to offer power to your lathe via belt drive and 17th century technology. Or we must all move to streams and rivers again and harness waterpower via mill wheels? That is the kind of luddite thinking in that party.If it isnt that ,its their sanctiminious,preachy,finger wagging,know it all better "because I have a degree,and you dont,so STFU ignoramus" attitude that makes you want to plant your fist squarely in their long[for better looking down at you] snots.:mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I suppose you could go back to a treadle or a pole lathe?:pHave fun machining that 12" by 4" round of 4140.:D Or maybe employ a street urchin/orphan at a penny a day to turn a giant wooden flywheel to offer power to your lathe via belt drive and 17th century technology. Or we must all move to streams and rivers again and harness waterpower via mill wheels? That is the kind of luddite thinking in that party.If it isnt that ,its their sanctiminious,preachy,finger wagging,know it all better "because I have a degree,and you dont,so STFU ignoramus" attitude that makes you want to plant your fist squarely in their long[for better looking down at you] snots.:mad:

Most of them i have met, greenies that is, are D.4 urban hippies with very good jobs, usually teachers or in a cushy job in the civil service etc. Typical Guardian readers, the sort who would give you trots after 10 mins in a room with them.

Aren't the Germans caught by the short and curlys by the Russians ? The Ivans supply natural gas in huge quantities to western europe, widdle them off and they turn off the taps.

We all are.Esp Ireland!As we are on the wrong end of a very long supply chain.Of course we could have our own gas,if it hadnt been given away for virtually free to the EU and multi nationals,and have Eco Fascists and Water Melons[Green party,Green outside,Communist red inside] yelling about places like Rosport or now the Clare/Kerry g proposed gas plant terminal in the Shannon estury. But now according to them LPG gas is BAD! as it add to global warming,so out with all your gas boilers and heaters,and block up the fireplace and get rid of the wood stove too as according to them ,natural wood is not a renewable carbon neutral friendly fuel.It too is the Devils work and contributes to pollution and "global warming".So now freeze or buy utterly unaffordable ,erraticly supplied,wind and sun created "green electricity" to light up your wooden wattle and mud/cow****e thatched eco friendly 2room hovel that they think is appropriate for sustainable green living out in the country beyond the pale.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Most of them i have met, greenies that is, are D.4 urban hippies with very good jobs, usually teachers or in a cushy job in the civil service etc. Typical Guardian readers, the sort who would give you trots after 10 mins in a room with them.

Is it just me,or does anyone else go to bed every night these days,disappointed that the Zombie apocalypse,ww3,a meteor strike,or a global pandemic of some virus that wipes out the stupid in society, or an EMP bomb /solar pulse didnt happen today? So that stupid like you describe would be wiped out along with their gender confused offspring?:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Probably not asking in the right forum but there’s a good chance someone here knows the answer -
    If you own samurai swords that where made and aquired in the late 90s ,should you dispose of them now due to the changes in legislation in 2009?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Huh?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

scwazrh wrote: »
    If you own samurai swords that where made and aquired in the late 90s
    You were already subject to the 1990 offensive weapons act that deals with swords, knives and other pointed objects and SI 66/1991 which covers basically anything sword, billy club, telescopic baton related.
    ......,should you dispose of them now due to the changes in legislation in 2009?
    You mean S.I. No. 338/2009 - Firearms and offensive Weapons Act 1990 (offensive Weapons) (Amendment) Order 2009

This SI banned ALL Samurai swords (among other offensive weapons such as Machetes) with exceptions made for any custom/hand made one made before 1954 and some exceptions for ones made after 1954.

So in short its illegal to own, possess one of these.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Probably not asking in the right forum but there’s a good chance someone here knows the answer -
    If you own samurai swords that where made and aquired in the late 90s ,should you dispose of them now due to the changes in legislation in 2009?

I don't know for sure but certain Samurai swords are exempt. If they were made before 1954 or if they were made using traditional methods, then they are exempt and therefore allowed.

It all depends on how your sword was manufactured. If it was made by hand, then you are grand.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/si/338/made/en/print

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I don't know for sure but certain Samurai swords are exempt. If they were made before 1954 or if they were made using traditional methods, then they are exempt and therefore allowed.

It all depends on how your sword was manufactured. If it was made by hand, then you are grand.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/si/338/made/en/print

Correct.This was again done to prevent compo claims on these.It was to get rid of the cheapo, flat stock,imports beloved of a certain ethnic community in Ireland as a wedding or funeral accessory.As they were hardly running each other thru with "Hattori Hanzo" blades from the 4th dynasty costing thousands,but the best from Battle Orders UK type companies. So nowadays most of the katanas out there are indeed made by "Japanese sword making techniques" But they arent individual masterpieces hand forged in some master sword makers little works in Seki city.;) Its all how its worded and interperted.Mostly poorly and unenforceable.

• Advertisement

Never heard such crap. Why can't you have something in your own home as a wallhanger ? What makes something made before 1954 or made by hand less dangerous ? What about the contents of the shed ? I have an axe, a couple of hatchets, spades, pitchforks, are they not dangerous ?

Never heard such crap. Why can't you have something in your own home as a wallhanger ?
    In case you take it outside.
    What makes something made before 1954 or made by hand less dangerous ?
    Its not, but generally these are high value, real, swords as opposed to the mass produced crap you bring back from a foreign holiday.

Also the SI does not say/mean made by hand ONLY. It says made by hand in a traditional method. So if you go to Japan and pay up to €100,000 for some Master to produce you a once off then this is fine. Chances are if paid that much and waited a year for it to be made you're not looking to chop up some chavs.

Its aimed at the €25 "specials" bought in most shops (that sell them) that are usually made out of pewter (or similar "robust" metals) and can be used more as a club that a sword.
    What about the contents of the shed ? I have an axe, a couple of hatchets, spades, pitchforks, are they not dangerous ?
    Without reasonable cause, its an offense to have them in public too.

Say a butcher walks from his shop to the bank with his knives on his person. If stopped by AGS he has reasonable cause for having them, albeit silly to do so.

Now picture some guy walking down the street with an axe, large kitchen knife, or even a screwdriver, but he has no job, is not a lumberjack, and doesn't work in a kitchen or butchers. He is guilty of an offense even if he has done nothing because of the threat/possible threat to the public.

Don't forget that under the 1990 Act (not the SI but the Act) brandishing a weapon in public and causing alarm is an offense itself. So if someone feels threatened, you're cooked.

It's why when i'm out hunting i remove any skinning/gutting knives i might be carrying if i go into a shop.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Thought as much .

The ones I have are replicas of swords from a couple of movies.Some are from early 90s and the others from late 90s and certainly wouldn't fall under "made by traditional methods".

What has me checking now is that they are kept in the same room as my firearms safe and as Ive a license renewal in at the moment , its not beyond the realms of possibilites that the garda may want to check my storage and make an un-announced visit to the house.

Knew I'd get an answer here so thanks for that.

What has me checking now is that they are kept in the same room as my firearms safe and as Ive a license renewal in at the moment , its not beyond the realms of possibilites that the garda may want to check my storage and make an un-announced visit to the house.

I don't think they can land out of the blue and demand access to your house. If they could they would be on fishing expeditions all the time looking to catch lads out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I don't think they can land out of the blue and demand access to your house. If they could they would be on fishing expeditions all the time looking to catch lads out.

I think they actually can land out of the blue.

They can land "out of the blue" but it's not as random as you might think. IOW the CPO will generally ring before calling to let you know they s/he is going to be calling and set a time to make sure you are there.

It's also usually not for "no reason". IOW its usually when you've an application in and have not had a check ever, in a while or its needed to confirm an upgrade in security level.

Move your movie props to another part of the house away from the gun safe perhaps?:) All you need to do is show him the safe and the alarm features,not take them on a tour of the castle.
    Also,are they "live blades"?IE do they have or can they take an edge?If they cant cut or be edged,they arent "swords" They are bits of soft metal that look sword like.

Move your movie props to another part of the house away from the gun safe perhaps?:) All you need to do is show him the safe and the alarm features,not take them on a tour of the castle.

Yes Ive done this already just to be safe . My question was more to find the "on paper answer"
    Also,are they "live blades"?IE do they have or can they take an edge?If they cant cut or be edged,they arent "swords" They are bits of soft metal that look sword like.

One of them is a cheap and cheerful but the others are 1095 steel

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

After moving from California to a Free State, I have deCaliforniaised my rifles.

California has an Assault Weapons Ban. It, of course, exists to prevent people (originally) from fire superiority over police, and later, to reduce the ability for someone to commit a spree shooting. When in California, all my rifles were compliant with this ban.

No longer in California, I no longer need to comply with the ban. I videoed the conversion process.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UblBGVNLfZ4

Two minute video, the actual conversion starts at about 55 seconds in.

Thus you can see the effect of a law, in practice, written by people who know not the subject matter. And, of course, in practice, such things have been done before mass shootings (eg San Bernadino)

.......... to reduce the ability for someone to commit a spree shooting...........

This pisses me off everytime i see/hear it.

FBI and CDC stats say 9,200+ shootings occurred with pistols/handguns.

300 with rifles. Not just ARs, AKs, semi auto, etc. ALL RIFLES.

More people are killed each year in America with bare hands, hammers, knives, and that is not even touching on one of the biggest factors that, i believe, contribute to the new trend of mass shootings as a solution to people's "issues", prescription medication which stands at over 150,000+ per year dead.

• Advertisement

Plus...WHO really has lobbying power in DC..It sure isnt the NRA with their chump change in finance.It's tobacco,pharma,oil, and the motor industry.[Witness Obama saving General Motors]They are also the biggest industies whose products kill more Americans than guns every year.

After moving from California to a Free State, I have deCaliforniaised my rifles.

California has an Assault Weapons Ban. It, of course, exists to prevent people (originally) from fire superiority over police, and later, to reduce the ability for someone to commit a spree shooting. When in California, all my rifles were compliant with this ban.

No longer in California, I no longer need to comply with the ban. I videoed the conversion process.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UblBGVNLfZ4

Two minute video, the actual conversion starts at about 55 seconds in.

Thus you can see the effect of a law, in practice, written by people who know not the subject matter. And, of course, in practice, such things have been done before mass shootings (eg San Bernadino)

I really enjoy your Tank videos, the one you done with Lindybeige in Bovingdon was very good.

Cass wrote: »
    This pisses me off everytime i see/hear it.

FBI and CDC stats say 9,200+ shootings occurred with pistols/handguns.

300 with rifles. Not just ARs, AKs, semi auto, etc. ALL RIFLES.

More people are killed each year in America with bare hands, hammers, knives, and that is not even touching on one of the biggest factors that, i believe, contribute to the new trend of mass shootings as a solution to people's "issues", prescription medication which stands at over 150,000+ per year dead.

I heard more Americans die in the bath every year, than by firearms, something crazy like that. Why don't the pinko's worry about that ?

Why don't the pinko's worry about that ?

Because its easier to cry and wail about gun control than to actually get up of their asses and do something to combat the root cause of gun violence.

I've said it before and while it's a slight oversimplification i believe it's apt. They blame the NRA for all their gun violence. Well the NRA is a membership organisation so with it's current membership standing at approx 5 million why don't 5 million +1 join it, then vote to disband it.

The media shows you only what suits the narrative. One of the last shootings in America, Colorado, was committed by a trans person, and the kid of an illegal felon and they used handguns not ARs. The guns were illegal owned/used. None of that fits their [media] narrative about AR15s being the root cause of mass shootings nor do the people involved so it was given 24 to 48 of coverage in minute segments and then disappeared from the news cycle.

Even watching the visit, right now, of President Trump to the UK. They, the reporters, keep referring to him as Mr. Trump. His title is President Trump. Even one American in the crowd that was interviewed said i don't agree with the man, but i'll respect the office he stands for and i'm happy to see him here.

And watc the narraive die very quickly on the Virginia beach shooting die down as well.Because the shoter was BLACK!As well as using two 45ACP handguns... Anyone remember this guy?Zehulum Lael James? no of course not.He is African American too,and that does not fit the MSM narrative.He just targeted randomly 2 white women in 2015.
    Or Vester Lee Flanagan AKA "Bryce Williams" who shot two news reporters live on TV in Virginia in 2015??
    Or the fact in Chicago South Side there is a definition of a "mass shooting",every.single.weekend,of African american gang members.In the city with the strictest gun laws now in the USA.Never mentioned...But if they are white caucasian males,you will know everything about them for weeks on end.:mad:

Something extraordinary happened in Australia today. A paroled convict used a banned shotgun to open fire in downtown Darwin. He killed four people and wounded a fifth.

The firearm he used — a pump action shotgun — was banned in Australia 13 years ago. That’s beside the fact that it’s illegal for a parolee to possess a firearm. All this while wearing an ankle monitor.

So please, PLEASE, someone tell me how gun control works on criminals?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭deezell

Cass wrote: »
    Something extraordinary happened in Australia today. A paroled convict used a banned shotgun to open fire in downtown Darwin. He killed four people and wounded a fifth.

The firearm he used — a pump action shotgun — was banned in Australia 13 years ago. That’s beside the fact that it’s illegal for a parolee to possess a firearm. All this while wearing an ankle monitor.

So please, PLEASE, someone tell me how gun control works on criminals?

Easy. In a society where the visibility of guns is the exception rather than the rule, there's less likelihood of a person thinking of using a gun to go on a violent rampage, and even less opportunity to obtain one from the 'spillage' of legally obtained weapons, through theft or carelessness, into the hands of criminals. Forget about your craving for guns. Get a fishing rod, or a football, or a pool cue.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

deezell wrote: »
    Easy. In a society where the visibility of guns is the exception rather than the rule, there's less likelihood of a person thinking of using a gun to go on a violent rampage, and even less opportunity to obtain one from the 'spillage' of legally obtained weapons, through theft or carelessness, into the hands of criminals. Forget about your craving for guns. Get a fishing rod, or a football, or a pool cue.

Would that be what you term a liberal society? How about we bin our guns and roll a spliff?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭deezell

yubabill wrote: »
    Would that be what you term a liberal society? How about we bin our guns and roll a spliff?
    No, a safer one. And spliffs are illegal drugs, the use of which leads to far greater criminality and misery than ever was caused by guns, in their own right. Alcohol is also the root of a lot of misery, but only to the consumers and their affected circle. There is no criminality in the production and supply, only industry and commerce.
    There's a saying, "Take a man and put a gun in his hand, sooner or later someone gets shot".

• Advertisement

deezell wrote: »
    Easy.
    Glad you think so, perhaps you could call Australia, then the US and impart your wisdom because they cannot seem to get it right.
    In a society where the visibility of guns is the exception rather than the rule,
    Guns in Australia are scarce, and the one used was already banned. So again how does gun control help in this situation?
    there's less likelihood of a person thinking of using a gun to go on a violent rampage,
    You're right because when there are no guns there will be no crime. I mean these would never have occurred without .................................. guns!
    • Nice Truck attack, France - Truck used
    • Bourke Street attack in Australia - Knife used
    • Bali - Bomb
    • Manchester arena - Suicide bomb
    • London Bridge attack - Knife and car used
    • Belgium - bomb
    • Finsbury park - Van used
    • Beheading of Private Lee Rigsby london - knife used
    • Boston Marathon - bomb
    • Saint pertersburg - bomb
    • Toronto car attack - Car
    • Metrojet Flight 9268 - bomb
    • Ataturk airport attack - bomb and gun
    • New York truck attack - Truck
    • Brighton Seige - Shotgun
    • Queanbeyan stabbing attack - knives
    • Minto stabbing attack - Knives
    • 2014 Endeavour Hills stabbings - knives
    • Madrid train attack - bombs
    • London (7/7) - bombs
    and even less opportunity to obtain one from the 'spillage' of legally obtained weapons, through theft or carelessness, into the hands of criminals.
    Spillage! Interesting choice of word.

There is no "spillage" through carelessness. If you had any information on the matter other than perceptions based on TV, and places like Wikipedia you'd know the true silliness of your claim.

If you are referring to guns that were legally held, got stolen and then used in a crime then i'd ask you to cite your sources and data and once again perhaps you can contact An Gardaí as they cannot prove this link nor do they seem to have the data you do.

If we are still referencing this Australian case, then the gun used was illegal to own, FOR ANYONE, and especially a convicted felon. So how do you ban a type of gun AGAIN?
    Forget about your craving for guns
    It's not cake.
    Get a fishing rod, or a football, or a pool cue.
    Have all three, thanks.

You are obviously anti gun, so tell me, why do you dislike firearms? What laws could be enacted here that would prevent the current shooting crimes that occur?

In the case above the person was disentitled to own a gun, used a gun that was banned over a decade ago (actually two), was on parole, etc. So this person broke very rule there is, got hold of an illegal gun, and used it to commit a crime. How did the Australian gun laws fail in stopping it? what gun law could be enacted that would have stopped it?

Advertisement