Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda recruitment 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Whitsundays93

Does anyone know how long it will be till we hear news about our test results and if we move on to the next stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SeanD123

Does anyone know how long it will be till we hear news about our test results and if we move on to the next stage?

Hey, end of may or early June we should hear

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Slic

Do you reckon that’s how it’ll work ? I hope I’m wrong but I’m fairly sure you have to reach a minimum standard in each part of the exam.

Anyone any idea ?[/quote]

From reading everyone's post it wasn't just me but alot of people found it very hard and alot of guessing, some I don't think had a real answer to. If majority of us failed the logic I presume they will take the highest figures I'm hoping anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭GavK

Slic wrote: »
    Do you reckon that’s how it’ll work ? I hope I’m wrong but I’m fairly sure you have to reach a minimum standard in each part of the exam.

Anyone any idea ?

From reading everyone's post it wasn't just me but alot of people found it very hard and alot of guessing, some I don't think had a real answer to. If majority of us failed the logic I presume they will take the highest figures I'm hoping anyway.[/quote]

I found it very hard myself mate and I hope they take everyone’s logical results into consideration too but I just heard somewhere before that pass marks for each of the 3 tasks were set in stone beforehand. Sure we’ll find out when we get our results the start of June I suppose.

I found it very hard myself mate and I hope they take everyone’s logical results into consideration too but I just heard somewhere before that pass marks for each of the 3 tasks were set in stone beforehand. Sure we’ll find out when we get our results the start of June I suppose.[/quote]

Yea they do, you need a pass for each exam I went for the prison service I failed by 2 in the verbal passed everything else so I didn't get through, well I hope so to they take it into consideration if I fail I know why just a waiting game really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 al1990

Did anyone email public jobs about the tests? And how difficult they were by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sazxox

al1990 wrote: »
    Did anyone email public jobs about the tests? And how difficult they were by any chance?

no, gonna wait and see! Did you?

No man, same, I can’t wait to see how many passed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭Macu17ab

I've just come across this thread - I was getting between 80-92% in the verbal reasoning prep tests, and between 72-80% in the hardest difficulty non verbals. Honestly I was pulling my hair out during the real thing, the non verbal in particular. It was ridiculously harder than the prep tests, and I personally did a lot of guessing. Feeling really discouraged after it, and i'm actually worried I got below the minimum scoring mark (47%).

I gave the Garda reruitment lads a ring to see if they could give me a ballpark date to when we'd see our test results, and even though it says late May/early June on the pre-test info, the lad on the phone said it'll likely be mind-June when we get them.

Apparently they use "Adaptive assessment technology" so when you are doing really well they increase the difficulty of the next question, which doesn't make a lot of sense. Regardless, if the average mark is particularly lower this year due to the difficulty being increased, they still recruit based on merit and it will be clear to them that the test was harder than usual.

Basically, 600 people at minimum who did the test have to have scored higher than you for you to not get a call to the 2nd round. This is just my deduction of everything, hopefully it helps.

The qualifying score? Does it state that in the familiarization material? Or did you get that somewhere else?

• Advertisement

It was in the general information in the career services course for stage one. It said that the tests last year, or in previous years (not sure which) were scored out of 800. In the logical reasoning the top category of people who tested scored something like 680+, whereas the minimum qualifying score was 380. Surprisingly the top category was relatively quite lower in the verbal reasoning where the top scores were 65%+, and in the logical reasoning it was 75%+.

Macu17ab wrote: »
    I've just come across this thread - I was getting between 80-92% in the verbal reasoning prep tests, and between 72-80% in the hardest difficulty non verbals. Honestly I was pulling my hair out during the real thing, the non verbal in particular. It was ridiculously harder than the prep tests, and I personally did a lot of guessing. Feeling really discouraged after it, and i'm actually worried I got below the minimum scoring mark (47%).

I gave the Garda reruitment lads a ring to see if they could give me a ballpark date to when we'd see our test results, and even though it says late May/early June on the pre-test info, the lad on the phone said it'll likely be mind-June when we get them.

Apparently they use "Adaptive assessment technology" so when you are doing really well they increase the difficulty of the next question, which doesn't make a lot of sense. Regardless, if the average mark is particularly lower this year due to the difficulty being increased, they still recruit based on merit and it will be clear to them that the test was harder than usual.

Basically, 600 people at minimum who did the test have to have scored higher than you for you to not get a call to the 2nd round. This is just my deduction of everything, hopefully it helps.

Middle of June? Good god!! That's sooooo long away! I would have thought 6th June latest..

I know it's a pain, I'm living abroad at the moment and the sooner I can dispel some of the ambiguity around this process the sooner I can make concrete plans for my homecoming. I imagine they are being conservative when they give out dates, so that is probably the worst case - it could very well be earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Crafty_Veteran

Macu17ab wrote: »
    I know it's a pain, I'm living abroad at the moment and the sooner I can dispel some of the ambiguity around this process the sooner I can make concrete plans for my homecoming. I imagine they are being conservative when they give out dates, so that is probably the worst case - it could very well be earlier.

I am in the same boat as you living abroad. I am very worried that I won't get time off work last minute / the cost of a last minute flight home to sit the tests. I have email Public Jobs to see what my options are but they weren't really sure until the results come out. I am just going to pray that I pass and that the tests are spread over a number of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Crafty_Veteran

Any idea when the result will be released? I heard it could be this Thursday ( 2 weeks after the assessment closed).

Any idea when the result will be released? I heard it could be this Thursday ( 2 weeks after the assessment closed).

No idea, i was thinking next thurs, where did you hear this thurs? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Jamie13

sazxox wrote: »
    No idea, i was thinking next thurs, where did you hear this thurs? :)

“We hope to have results out by the end of this week or early next week. Any candidate who completed the tests will receive correspondence. ”

Did they email that to you? thanks for that :)

sazxox wrote: »
    Did they email that to you? thanks for that :)

Yup! No problem!

Where you here that? It will be between the 1st and 2nd week of this month

• Advertisement

Slic wrote: »
    Where you here that? It will be between the 1st and 2nd week of this month

I emailed them

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Jecz

1K a year OT would be made by a Garda doing sweet f all. It does vary greatly but there is an average. Last year at stage 2 the sergeant told us that we can expect to make between 10-15k a year from OT and allowances, and making less than that would be largely a personal choice. And while some people do make less, there are also people that make considerably more.
    But you're right on the first part, the salary isn't 38k a year, it's starts off at around 30k which doesn't include any allowances or OT. Also, if you have a honours Bachelor degree you skip 3 points on the scale after you complete your probation period, and likewise with other qualifications.

Would a diploma get you any advance on the pay scale?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Stove1234

Anyone have any idea when we are going to get the results of stage 1? Really thought I would know by now! Thanks 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kevin17W

Stove1234 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea when we are going to get the results of stage 1? Really thought I would know by now! Thanks 😊

I rang PAS last Thursday/Friday. They said they were hoping to have them out the end of this week. So hopefully they stick to that

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Stove1234

Kevin17W wrote: »
    I rang PAS last Thursday/Friday. They said they were hoping to have them out the end of this week. So hopefully they stick to that

Hopefully!! I am living abroad so would be great to know ASAP so I can plan what I’m going to do next! Best of luck to you

Stove1234 wrote: »
    Hopefully!! I am living abroad so would be great to know ASAP so I can plan what I’m going to do next! Best of luck to you

Same to you!

I got placed 1899 does that mean I still have a chance??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

I placed 2647, I’m guessing that it’s not likely I’ll progress?

I got low 1000s last time round but I had better results this time, got though to stage 2 but didn’t go for the interview!

Got the placed in the mid 400’s. Just hoping the rest goes as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BuzzMcdonnell

Placed in the low 700’s delighted!

Advertisement