Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda recruitment 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Slic

Phillip k wrote: »
    What is the salary like ? I know it's not as good as it use to be . what would you be looking at before tax ? Im on a very good wage at moment but just wondering if anyone is a guard or knows someone would have a better idea
    Thanks in advance.

The salary is 38k a year, I know someone joined last year and he gets 28k but 10k extra for everything else overtime

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Slic

sazxox wrote: »
    I say the aptitude tests for NASA are not that hard! the logical was ridiculous!

laughing at this haha .. dead right though[/quote]

You prob did better then you think, I bet every one failed logical so it will be all about verbal and questionaire and i bet the voluntary part will be accountable in the % to up the marks cause no one will pass the logical,

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭GavK

Slic wrote: »
    laughing at this haha .. dead right though

You prob did better then you think, I bet every one failed logical so it will be all about verbal and questionaire and i bet the voluntary part will be accountable in the % to up the marks cause no one will pass the logical,[/quote]

Do you reckon that’s how it’ll work ? I hope I’m wrong but I’m fairly sure you have to reach a minimum standard in each part of the exam.

Anyone any idea ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

GavK wrote: »
    Do you reckon that’s how it’ll work ? I hope I’m wrong but I’m fairly sure you have to reach a minimum standard in each part of the exam.

Anyone any idea ?

I thought the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BuzzMcdonnell

Slic wrote: »
    The salary is 38k a year, I know someone joined last year and he gets 28k but 10k extra for everything else overtime

The salary is not 38k a year. I wouldn’t be deciding on a job based on one Garda making 10k overtime. This varies greatly and there are Gardai making as little as 1k a year and less from overtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

The salary is not 38k a year. I wouldn’t be deciding on a job based on one Garda making 10k overtime. This varies greatly and there are Gardai making as little as 1k a year and less from overtime.
    1K a year OT would be made by a Garda doing sweet f all. It does vary greatly but there is an average. Last year at stage 2 the sergeant told us that we can expect to make between 10-15k a year from OT and allowances, and making less than that would be largely a personal choice. And while some people do make less, there are also people that make considerably more.
    But you're right on the first part, the salary isn't 38k a year, it's starts off at around 30k which doesn't include any allowances or OT. Also, if you have a honours Bachelor degree you skip 3 points on the scale after you complete your probation period, and likewise with other qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sazxox

Yeah my Bf is a guard and he’s making about an extra 1k a month when the ‘big cheque ‘ (that’s what they all call it) comes in, but he’s based in Dublin. A friend of mine is based in west of Ireland gets about 6k extra for the whole year! Also that’s my bf saying no sometimes aswell like for example he said no weekend just gone cause we had plans etc! Also, even tho everyone is done for 10 hours on a Sunday, you only work 8 as there trying to cut back on overtime! Full roster can be seen if you download the app Raphaels ! Units a-e so you know exactly what hours your working and when for the whole year! So he’s on unit D and he already knows he’s working xmas day etc so it’s handy like to know in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JackB27

Hey everyone,

I just did my tests there. They were all fine except the logical reasoning one, I had to guess most of them. Last year I had no problem with the logical reasoning tests and passed them all very easily. I was freaking out, it was hard to even make an educated guess this time around. It will be interesting to see the pass rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭SquireD

About to do mine there now...wish me luck! :eek:

Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Phillip k

Can you survive 32 weeks on 180 a week. If you are earning 40k plus stick at what you are doing.

Well I would stick it out as it's not that long and would be only training . I'm just wondering when your in the job is the money decent ? How long would it take to be on a decent wage . ?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kevin17W

Well I would stick it out as it's not that long and would be only training . I'm just wondering when your in the job is the money decent ? How long would it take to be on a decent wage . ?

http://www.gra.ie/documents/PayScales.pdf

Figures include the Rent allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dave143

Garda Trainees attest after 32 weeks and move onto the first point of the Garda incremental pay scale of €30,296. The incremental scale rises to €48,754 per annum after 8 years with two further increments after 13 and 19 years' service which bring the maximum of the pay scale to €52,482 per annum after 19 years (1st January, 2019 rates). Other allowances may also be payable, including for unsocial hours, as may overtime.

2019 notes for candidates

Lads, just did mine but after the Logical tests, it brought me back to the homepage to start the Verbal tests again which i did but it was still there asking me to complete again but this time when i click to complete it, it says to its done and return to the homepage...Anyone else experience this as i don't know what way I'm fixed!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AnnaObama94

SquireD wrote: »
    Lads, just did mine but after the Logical tests, it brought me back to the homepage to start the Verbal tests again which i did but it was still there asking me to complete again but this time when i click to complete it, it says to its done and return to the homepage...Anyone else experience this as i don't know what way I'm fixed!?

I've literally had the same problem tonight and have been so worried as to if it is submitted or not?! So frustrating....

I've literally had the same problem tonight and have been so worried as to if it is submitted or not?! So frustrating....

I've sent them an e-mail to look into it and see what the story is with the application so I'll let you know when i get a response...

Since i was able to do the Verbal Task again, I'm hoping the better of the 2 will go forward! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭irishgirl91

Have you tried closing your browser and logging back into publicjobs.ie and than clicking on the link again to the tests? It would say no tests to complete if they were submitted successfully.

Hopefully it will get sorted for ye both who had technical issues. Screenshot the email and then forward it to public jobs also before the deadline.

Yea i logged out and then back in last night to see if it was still there which it was up to about 15 minutes ago but now it says 'The are no assessments to complete' so I'd imagine that's the application gone through?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭irishgirl91

Yea i logged out and then back in last night to see if it was still there which it was up to about 15 minutes ago but now it says 'The are no assessments to complete' so I'd imagine that's the application gone through?

Yeah if you are getting that message I'd say it's safe to assume is gone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Monkeysgomad

This happened me and I emailed them and they didn’t bother replying, even still they haven’t. I rang them and they said nothing they can do. They were useless

• Advertisement

Seems like this year between has been a bit of a mess between Career Services dropping the ball and the PAS online system not functioning right, it'll be a miracle if any of us get through!

Seems like this year between has been a bit of a mess between Career Services dropping the ball and the PAS online system not functioning right, it'll be a miracle if any of us get through!

how did you find the logical?

Did people do the 5th module career services added to the non verbal? It helped a bit. Still tough though

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mar_mar27

dave143 wrote: »
    Did people do the 5th module career services added to the non verbal? It helped a bit. Still tough though

Yeah I did the practice tests 5 over and over again but I still didn't feel prepared for the test I did. I was guessing towards the end

Mar_mar27 wrote: »
    Yeah I did the practice tests 5 over and over again but I still didn't feel prepared for the test I did. I was guessing towards the end

Ya same as. Without that im not sure i would have got any of them right. So different to anything else covered

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mar_mar27

dave143 wrote: »
    Ya same as. Without that im not sure i would have got any of them right. So different to anything else covered

So happy it wasn't just me. My sis did the test last year and did it again this year and she was shocked at how different it was. Sure they used hpat tests this year and they are far more difficult

how did you find the logical?

Found it so and so really. Wasn't sure what to make if it when i got it done. From reading comments before on here, i was terrified I wouldn't know any of them but I think (hope) i got by alright.

I presume now we just sit and wait for the results is it?
    I didn't even get an e-mail or message on the Public Jobs account acknowledging that i completed Stage 1 either...

Found it so and so really. Wasn't sure what to make if it when i got it done. From reading comments before on here, i was terrified I wouldn't know any of them but I think (hope) i got by alright.

I presume now we just sit and wait for the results is it?
    I didn't even get an e-mail or message on the Public Jobs account acknowledging that i completed Stage 1 either...

Yeah a few tricky ones in there, so hard to tell.

Yeah exactly.. and no, no emails are being sent to say its done etc.. deadline gone now anyways so nothing more we can all do only wait :)

Yeah a few tricky ones in there, so hard to tell.

Yeah exactly.. and no, no emails are being sent to say its done etc.. deadline gone now anyways so nothing more we can all do only wait :)

Yea some i just looked at and went 'f*ck' and had a guess but i think that's the general feeling of what most did so just have to wait and see now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 AnnaObama94

I've sent them an e-mail to look into it and see what the story is with the application so I'll let you know when i get a response...

Since i was able to do the Verbal Task again, I'm hoping the better of the 2 will go forward! :p

I wasn't able to redo the task again, it just kept telling me it was completed.
    I tried to go into it again and got the same message as yourself saying "access is closed".
    So I'm guessing we're just hoping for the best since they weren't much help to anyone who contacted them.

Advertisement