Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiered Championship

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

conor05 wrote: »
    TG4 showed a fair bit of highlights on Kerry v Westmeath tonight ag 8pm.

Atleast it’s a start because the Joe McDonagh is a very good standard of hurling.

That's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

You're talking about division 4 teams for the most part there. As I said, Dublin won one All Ireland in nearly 30 years, now look. How did that happen?

Why can't other counties get the help that Dublin got? That's not how it works, you play at a level long enough and then that is your level. Look at Offaly in hurling.

Offaly, Kildare, Meath(Louth have one of theirs), Westmeath, Laois and Dublin were winning Leinster championships in the 90's and 00's. It was an exciting and open competition. New York and London can't be included so Mayo, Galway, Roscommon, Sligo and even Leitrim have won Connacht titles in the 90's and 00's. In Ulster, Donegal, Derry, Down, Tyrone, Armagh, Monaghan, Cavan have all won Ulsters in the 90's and 00's. Fermanagh have got to an All Ireland semi final and making great strides. We've already discussed the improvements made in Clare and Tipperary despite Clare in 92 been the last to win Munster apart from Cork and Kerry. So that's 21 counties who have won provincial championships from the 90's till now. Louth should have won one, Fermanagh and Limerick went very close and others like Tipperary are putting in huge effort. That's all very recent history.
    No, a tiered championship would kill Gaelic Football in many counties. Player drop outs are already bad, this will increase it ten fold. Players don't want this. It's in no way beneficial to 'weaker' counties.

Let's sort this out and get to the root of the problem. Things have changed big time over the last decade that has left us in this situation and the major player in that change is money. Counties like Mayo, Kerry, Donegal, Tyrone and especially Dublin have pushed ahead with the aid of huge resources. This is the issue that should be tackled. Other counties shouldn't be punished for these counties buying their way ahead.
    This change isnt to punish these other counties its to assist them. What use is the top counties winning by 15-20 points year on year against the smaller/weaker counties.
    These counties were always ahead(in many cases) and money wasnt the reason then and isnt reason they are ahead now
    Offaly won one in the 90s.
    Why would a tiered competition kill the sport in some counties? Because instead of maybe hoping for the odd shock some years or a run in the qualifiers they would get significant number of games in a competitive competition they would have a chance of winning? If that kills the sport then there is a lot more to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Another Mayo poster advocating the tiered championship. It's mostly coming from the so called stronger counties. They want to remove the 'weaker' counties out of their way so they can get their big days out in Croke Park without any hassle. After the weekend you're thinking if only Roscommon were removed from the championship.
    That's the reality of it, why are supporters and officials from these counties being so vocal? What's in it for them? They don't care about the health of Gaelic Football in the 'weaker' counties. They're out for themselves and that's why those not apart of the 'elite' need to stand together and put a stop to this.

Thats bollocks, Roscommon are certainly a top ten team at the least ,of course they would be in any top tier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

This change isnt to punish these other counties its to assist them. What use is the top counties winning by 15-20 points year on year against the smaller/weaker counties.
    These counties were always ahead(in many cases) and money wasnt the reason then and isnt reason they are ahead now
    Why would a tiered competition kill the sport in some counties? Because instead of maybe hoping for the odd shock some years or a run in the qualifiers they would get significant number of games in a competitive competition they would have a chance of winning? If that kills the sport then there is a lot more to worry about

Louth should have won a Leinster title in 2010
    in fact, the GAA robbed them of it through inept officiating and a refusal to grant a replay

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Louth should have won a Leinster title in 2010
    in fact, the GAA robbed them of it through inept officiating and a refusal to grant a replay

What a ridiculous comment, 'the GAA' as if it was one big conspiracy, the officials ****ed up of their own accord

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

You're comparing apples and oranges. The inter county game is one where everyone has competed at the top level and where the huge majority have had some form of success. If we go back to the 90's and 00's, the amount of counties challenging for honours was huge. We had a vibrant competition. That's what we should be aiming for. Let's look at what's changed since then and tackle that problem.
    I wouldn’t agree that it’s apples and oranges. Just because something has always been done a particular way isn’t a good enough reason to continue doing it that way.
    The increasingly professional approach taken by top teams is causing the increased gap in standards. I’m not sure if it’s possible for all 32 teams to copy that.

Let's stick with the evidence we have. These counties were not always ahead. Way back in the bad old days, it was Kerry v Dublin virtually every year. It all changed. From 1987-2010, 10 different counties won the All Ireland. I've already pointed out where 21 counties won provincial championships since the 90's. That all changed and we know why.
    We can also look at the hurling for more evidence. The tiered competitions were promised all sorts. Huge promotion of the competitions, big days out on All Ireland semi final day etc. Top tier counties that were dropped down to a level below have fallen off a cliff. Offaly is a disaster but other counties like Laois and Antrim also went backwards. Like I've said, you play at a level and that becomes your level.
    There's also no way out of it for the teams outside the Liam McCarthy. If Kerry win the Joe McDonagh, they have to beat one of the other Munster teams in a play off to go up a level. In Leinster, a county every year gets to go into the championship proper to take a few beatings and be sent back down. Soon that avenue will be blocked as well. This is the truth of the tired championship, it's a permanent move. Counties kicked out are finished at the top level. There's no way back.
    Now, instead of looking at this nonsense proposal we should be focusing on the real issue. Money has changed the game. Money has caused the massive split in standards. It's time we sorted that out.

Thats bollocks, Roscommon are certainly a top ten team at the least ,of course they would be in any top tier

Like I said, it'd be nice to not have to go through the qualifiers now wouldn't it? Let's cut through the nonsense. The 'stronger' counties couldn't care less about the 'weaker' ones. They just want them out of the way. What other reason is there?

harpsman wrote: »
    I wouldn’t agree that it’s apples and oranges. Just because something has always been done a particular way isn’t a good enough reason to continue doing it that way.
    The increasingly professional approach taken by top teams is causing the increased gap in standards. I’m not sure if it’s possible for all 32 teams to copy that.

That's what we should be tackling! Why let the top teams away with their 'professional approach'? This is an amateur sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I think the only way a tiered championship would work is if they are run off on different days and sold as separate TV deals. Tier 2 runs on Saturday and Tier 1 on Sunday (or alternating weekends). Let Virgin or TG4 get tier 2 and keep it off subscription channels.

People say it will kill football in weaker counties but thats already happening. Look at Longford this year, decent league and now 3 players are off to the US so arent playing championship. They're perfectly entitled to do that and I'd recommend a summer in the US to everyone but would they be doing it if they thought they had any chance of winning or even getting to a Leinster final? I doubt it. In my own county, Westmeath, our captain last year dropped off the panel after the league to head over.
    The same is happening in many weaker counties every year where lads arent committing or dropping out after the league to head off to the US. I dont think comparing the different amount of provincial winners in the 90'/00's is relevant as the game has moved on so much in the last 10 years its completely different game. I still think theres a place for the provincials(and the winners should get to enter the main draw regardless) but they are fairly irrelevant for the most part. 

Senior, Intermediate and Junior works for clubs across the land, why cant it work for county level? If the desire and talent is there then a team can get to senior and have a shot at an all Ireland, if its not then you built it up to try progress bit by bit until they're ready.

• Advertisement

I think the only way a tiered championship would work is if they are run off on different days and sold as separate TV deals. Tier 2 runs on Saturday and Tier 1 on Sunday (or alternating weekends). Let Virgin or TG4 get tier 2 and keep it off subscription channels.

People say it will kill football in weaker counties but thats already happening. Look at Longford this year, decent league and now 3 players are off to the US so arent playing championship. They're perfectly entitled to do that and I'd recommend a summer in the US to everyone but would they be doing it if they thought they had any chance of winning or even getting to a Leinster final? I doubt it. In my own county, Westmeath, our captain last year dropped off the panel after the league to head over.
    The same is happening in many weaker counties every year where lads arent committing or dropping out after the league to head off to the US. I dont think comparing the different amount of provincial winners in the 90'/00's is relevant as the game has moved on so much in the last 10 years its completely different game. I still think theres a place for the provincials(and the winners should get to enter the main draw regardless) but they are fairly irrelevant for the most part. 

Senior, Intermediate and Junior works for clubs across the land, why cant it work for county level? If the desire and talent is there then a team can get to senior and have a shot at an all Ireland, if its not then you built it up to try progress bit by bit until they're ready.

And you think the drop outs will magically stop if there's a tiered championship? They will increase! If thery're not showing up for the real championship, they definitely won't for mickey mouse competitions. Standards will slip year on year and there will be no way back. Westmeath won the Leinster in 04, just one of them means far more than anything in a tiered championship.
    What changed from 04 when Westmeath beat Dublin on the way to winning the title? How are Dublin now destroying every team in Leinster to win every title since 05 bar 1? You answer that question correctly and you will see the real problem in the GAA and the one that needs tackling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

And you think the drop outs will magically stop if there's a tiered championship? They will increase! If thery're not showing up for the real championship, they definitely won't for mickey mouse competitions. Standards will slip year on year and there will be no way back. Westmeath won the Leinster in 04, just one of them means far more than anything in a tiered championship.
    What changed from 04 when Westmeath beat Dublin on the way to winning the title? How are Dublin now destroying every team in Leinster to win every title since 05 bar 1? You answer that question correctly and you will see the real problem in the GAA and the one that needs tackling.

Its certainly not unanimous like you are trying to paint that all teams and players in the lower tier wont like it. Many coaches and players from lower teams have been saying for years that a second tier championship is needed. Yes, there are many voices against it but I don't see any other option now. The gap is too wide and the odd win by a lower team in the early stages of the championship doesnt change the fact the gap exists. You are always going to have the odd surprise when you have a back door second chance. Its not like the old days when you surprised someone and knocked them out and it actually meant something ( and your route further was easier as a result ).

Your notion that somehow we can restrain the so called elite teams methods and resources is not practical. Who is going to police that? We will be back to shady dealings and brown envelopes everywhere. If it was only about money then wealthy counties like Galway, Cork, Kildare and Meath would be winning more.

Like I said, it'd be nice to not have to go through the qualifiers now wouldn't it? Let's cut through the nonsense. The 'stronger' counties couldn't care less about the 'weaker' ones. They just want them out of the way. What other reason is there?

Of curse it would have been much better to have beaten Roscommon, thats nothing to do with it. They would currently be a Tier 1 team anyway.

And why i would want the weaker teams 'out of the way'? Im quite happy that we hopefully will get a weak team in the first qualifier and assuming we get through that, then also in the one after that. Couple of easier games might help us get back on track but it think it would be a fairer system if we were to play teams at roughly our own level, and if that was the case in the qualifiers, id be very worried about our chances right now

Let's stick with the evidence we have. These counties were not always ahead. Way back in the bad old days, it was Kerry v Dublin virtually every year. It all changed. From 1987-2010, 10 different counties won the All Ireland. I've already pointed out where 21 counties won provincial championships since the 90's. That all changed and we know why.
    We can also look at the hurling for more evidence. The tiered competitions were promised all sorts. Huge promotion of the competitions, big days out on All Ireland semi final day etc. Top tier counties that were dropped down to a level below have fallen off a cliff. Offaly is a disaster but other counties like Laois and Antrim also went backwards. Like I've said, you play at a level and that becomes your level.
    There's also no way out of it for the teams outside the Liam McCarthy. If Kerry win the Joe McDonagh, they have to beat one of the other Munster teams in a play off to go up a level. In Leinster, a county every year gets to go into the championship proper to take a few beatings and be sent back down. Soon that avenue will be blocked as well. This is the truth of the tired championship, it's a permanent move. Counties kicked out are finished at the top level. There's no way back.
    Now, instead of looking at this nonsense proposal we should be focusing on the real issue. Money has changed the game. Money has caused the massive split in standards. It's time we sorted that out.

This is the biggest lie you are constantly peddling, because promotion and relegation would be an intrinsic part of any properly structured tiered system. It wouldnt be anything like the hurling, the gap between the elite and the rest
    is not the same

• Registered Users Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

No I'm not saying it will stop but I think less lads will go. Its the same at club level, theres always lads will go but if theres different tiers and teams have more of a chance to win something then less will be tempted to go imo. It's only a mickey mouse comp if counties and the media treat it that way. If a tiered championship is brought it needs to be accepted it will be in for a few years and teams need to look at it as a chance to improve. It will take time but it can work.
    Standards are slipping already, Westmeath/Offaly/Laois are never going to win the all Ireland but could win a few intermediate all Ireland. Isn't it better to have that than winning an odd Division 2 final getting to a few Leinster finals? I still think we should keep the provincials but play them in March/April and give the carrot that if you win it you get into the Senior all Ireland regardless of level. Still gives the weaker counties a shout at the bigger teams and chance to win something.

Westmeath had a once in a generation team who had 2 under age all Irelands and a legendary manager. Dublin have got their act together since and got the funding to help that but that Westmeath team wouldn't win a Leinster now even. Theres just too many good players in Dublin in Dublin now with record numbers playing and clubs struggling to have the facilities to cater for them. They may not keep winning Leinsters forever but they wont slip back like they did in the 00's again anytime soon.

slegs wrote: »
    Its certainly not unanimous like you are trying to paint that all teams and players in the lower tier wont like it. Many coaches and players from lower teams have been saying for years that a second tier championship is needed. Yes, there are many voices against it but I don't see any other option now. The gap is too wide and the odd win by a lower team in the early stages of the championship doesnt change the fact the gap exists. You are always going to have the odd surprise when you have a back door second chance. Its not like the old days when you surprised someone and knocked them out and it actually meant something ( and your route further was easier as a result ).

Your notion that somehow we can restrain the so called elite teams methods and resources is not practical. Who is going to police that? We will be back to shady dealings and brown envelopes everywhere. If it was only about money then wealthy counties like Galway, Cork, Kildare and Meath would be winning more.

It's not unanimous but it's more popular amongst the bottom of division 4 teams. The only major gap is between the top 4-6 and the rest. This gap will remain no matter how many teams are kicked out. Of course we can restrain the elite teams resources, especially when some of their resources are coming from every member of the GAA and taxpayers. You need to do a bit of research in what sort of money the top cointies are investing.

Of curse it would have been much better to have beaten Roscommon, thats nothing to do with it. They would currently be a Tier 1 team anyway.

And why i would want the weaker teams 'out of the way'? Im quite happy that we hopefully will get a weak team in the first qualifier and assuming we get through that, then also in the one after that. Couple of easier games might help us get back on track but it think it would be a fairer system if we were to play teams at roughly our own level, and if that was the case in the qualifiers, id be very worried about our chances right now

If there were no 'weaker' counties left, you would go straight into the glamour ties. Let's face it, that's why you all want this tiered championship. You couldn't give a sh1t if it destroys football in the demoted counties as long as you get to play Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone etc in your elite championship.

This is the biggest lie you are constantly peddling, because promotion and relegation would be an intrinsic part of any properly structured tiered system. It wouldnt be anything like the hurling, the gap between the elite and the rest
    is not the same

The only evidence we have to go on is the hurling. There we can see that promotion and relegation was promised but denied numerous times and there's no way for counties to recover once they've been put down to a lower level. Offaly is proof of this.
    And just think about if you're wrong. What if this does destroy Gaelic Football in many counties, what then?

A tiered competition doesnt mean the lower level sides wont be playing mickey mouse competitions. It would be like clubs competitions. Are the intermediate and junior club championships mickey mouse competitions then? Standards will increase as sides play more games against sides of their own level and they can move up when theyre good and ready
    The only evidence we have to go on is the hurling. There we can see that promotion and relegation was promised but denied numerous times and there's no way for counties to recover once they've been put down to a lower level. Offaly is proof of this.
    And just think about if you're wrong. What if this does destroy Gaelic Football in many counties, what then?
    Hurling is completely different to Gaelic. And go away with the hysterics. Gaelic would never be destroyed at all.

No I'm not saying it will stop but I think less lads will go. Its the same at club level, theres always lads will go but if theres different tiers and teams have more of a chance to win something then less will be tempted to go imo. It's only a mickey mouse comp if counties and the media treat it that way. If a tiered championship is brought it needs to be accepted it will be in for a few years and teams need to look at it as a chance to improve. It will take time but it can work.
    Standards are slipping already, Westmeath/Offaly/Laois are never going to win the all Ireland but could win a few intermediate all Ireland. Isn't it better to have that than winning an odd Division 2 final getting to a few Leinster finals? I still think we should keep the provincials but play them in March/April and give the carrot that if you win it you get into the Senior all Ireland regardless of level. Still gives the weaker counties a shout at the bigger teams and chance to win something.

Westmeath had a once in a generation team who had 2 under age all Irelands and a legendary manager. Dublin have got their act together since and got the funding to help that but that Westmeath team wouldn't win a Leinster now even. Theres just too many good players in Dublin in Dublin now with record numbers playing and clubs struggling to have the facilities to cater for them. They may not keep winning Leinsters forever but they wont slip back like they did in the 00's again anytime soon.

Players will only play for their club. There'll be no point in playing inter county and even if they do, the standard of training will be behind the top tier and the gap will increase year on year. Again, look at the hurling. They promised different but the GAA gave lower tiered counties no respect. They throw finals around different venues instead of the promised Croke Park. Coverage is almost non existant.
    Offaly have won All Ireland's in the past, of course it's possible. As I've mentioned, 21 counties have won provincial championships in the recent past, the gap between the top and bottom has increased in the past few years and it's of no fault of these counties. They shouldn't be punished because others are given financial advantages.
    Dublin will continue to win Leinsters and All Ireland's nearly every year. This will be in any competition people can contrive. That's a major issue people keep ignoring. The funding is not some by the by. It's integral to how Dublin are winning every year and it's integral to counties such as Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone and Donegal. The money these counties are spending is crazy. This is the biggest issue in the GAA. This is the one that needs to be tackled.

• Advertisement

A tiered competition doesnt mean the lower level sides wont be playing mickey mouse competitions. It would be like clubs competitions. Are the intermediate and junior club championships mickey mouse competitions then? Standards will increase as sides play more games against sides of their own level and they can move up when theyre good and ready

Hurling is completely different to Gaelic. And go away with the hysterics. Gaelic would never be destroyed at all.

Apples and oranges again. And look at Offaly in the hurling. No way back. The level of interest in many counties has dwindled as it is. A tiered championship will interest no one.

Players will only play for their club. There'll be no point in playing inter county and even if they do, the standard of training will be behind the top tier and the gap will increase year on year. Again, look at the hurling. They promised different but the GAA gave lower tiered counties no respect. They throw finals around different venues instead of the promised Croke Park. Coverage is almost non existant.
    Offaly have won All Ireland's in the past, of course it's possible. As I've mentioned, 21 counties have won provincial championships in the recent past, the gap between the top and bottom has increased in the past few years and it's of no fault of these counties. They shouldn't be punished because others are given financial advantages.
    Dublin will continue to win Leinsters and All Ireland's nearly every year. This will be in any competition people can contrive. That's a major issue people keep ignoring. The funding is not some by the by. It's integral to how Dublin are winning every year and it's integral to counties such as Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone and Donegal. The money these counties are spending is crazy. This is the biggest issue in the GAA. This is the one that needs to be tackled.
    Players wont just play for their club. Why would standards of training be lower because you are playing division2??
    And if funding changed considerably these counties would still dominate regardless.
    Apples and oranges again. And look at Offaly in the hurling. No way back. The level of interest in many counties has dwindled as it is. A tiered championship will interest no one.
    You keep stating it will interest no one with nothing to back it up.

Players wont just play for their club. Why would standards of training be lower because you are playing division2??
    And if funding changed considerably these counties would still dominate regardless.

You keep stating it will interest no one with nothing to back it up.

Players won't be training to win a provincial or All Ireland championship. Of course standards will slip and of course, players will opt out. They are already and these mickey mouse championships will make it worse. I've already shown that these counties did not dominate. The championship was wide open for almost 2 decades. The funding changed that.

The only evidence we have is hurling. You're the one with nothing to back anything up. You're just hoping for the best. What if you're wrong?

Players won't be training to win a provincial or All Ireland championship. Of course standards will slip and of course, players will opt out. They are already and these mickey mouse championships will make it worse. I've already shown that these counties did not dominate. The championship was wide open for almost 2 decades. The funding changed that.

The only evidence we have is hurling. You're the one with nothing to back anything up. You're just hoping for the best. What if you're wrong?
    Why wont counties be competing for a provincial title. That would still be open to all.
    Changes dont mean standards will slip. Counties playing more teams of their own standard more often and then having a proper ladder of progression will see standards increase in time.
    You're just saying no we only can some how just stop all the money and that will improve things which isnt the answer.

Why wont counties be competing for a provincial title. That would still be open to all.
    Changes dont mean standards will slip. Counties playing more teams of their own standard more often and then having a proper ladder of progression will see standards increase in time.
    You're just saying no we only can some how just stop all the money and that will improve things which isnt the answer.

Offaly hurling.

Not stop all the money, give it to the 'weaker' counties. That's how to improve standards, it's been proven to do so.

Offaly hurling.

Not stop all the money, give it to the 'weaker' counties. That's how to improve standards, it's been proven to do so.
    money isnt going to improve these counties. Playing more games against sides of a similar standard in a tiered competition and sides can improve over time improves standards.

money isnt going to improve these counties. Playing more games against sides of a similar standard in a tiered competition and sides can improve over time improves standards.

Money will improve these counties. This has been proved. Playing counties of a similar or lower standard doesn't improve standards, that has been proved.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,236 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Offaly hurling.

Everything with you comes back to Offalybhur hurling. Offaly hurling sat in a cocoon for a decade. Not good enough to compete in Leinster. Other counties found it hard to progress because Offaly was protected. New structure exposed it's poor performance's.
    The counter is Carlow now in the Leinster championship who is giving better games to teams in Leinster than Offaly has done for a good few years. Offaly has been exposed in the Joe McDonagh cup and will not return to the Leinster championship for another few years. But when it dose it will be a different team. The only thing that is unfair is that when and it is only a matter of when Kerry win the Joe McDonagh cup it will find it virtually impossible to progress as it will not progress automatically into Munster which is unfair.

But Offaly is a good example for a tired championship

Slava Ukrainii

Everything with you comes back to Offalybhur hurling. Offaly hurling sat in a cocoon for a decade. Not good enough to compete in Leinster. Other counties found it hard to progress because Offaly was protected. New structure exposed it's poor performance's.
    The counter is Carlow now in the Leinster championship who is giving better games to teams in Leinster than Offaly has done for a good few years. Offaly has been exposed in the Joe McDonagh cup and will not return to the Leinster championship for another few years. But when it dose it will be a different team. The only thing that is unfair is that when and it is only a matter of when Kerry win the Joe McDonagh cup it will find it virtually impossible to progress as it will not progress automatically into Munster which is unfair.

But Offaly is a good example for a tired championship

Carlow are in this year for their few whippings, it will be someone else next year and eventually some people like those on this thread will come along and say what's the point of one of these minnows getting battered every year, let's do like they do in Munster.
    People are saying that somehow counties playing against other counties at or below their standard will help improve them. This is complete nonsense and goes against any common sense. You get better by playing against better teams and gradually upping your game. Offaly are a great example but you can choose any county from the lower tiers. They will never be able to make the jump from the level they're playing at to the upper level. It just won't happen.
    Next you're going to say wasn't that always the way. Well yes, in hurling. Carlow, Westmeath, Kerry and teams such as these were never competing. Then other counties like Laois and Antrim were on the edges but never made a breakthrough. Has the lower tiered competitions improved them? Have they got any better? The answer is no. A definite no.
    Now, there was a county at the same level as these mentioned above. Dublin. What did they do to move so far ahead of the rest? How can they comepte at the top level when they never could before. We all know the answer and that tells us what needs to be done for other 'weaker' counties in both football and hurling.

• Advertisement

Carlow are in this year for their few whippings, it will be someone else next year and eventually some people like those on this thread will come along and say what's the point of one of these minnows getting battered every year, let's do like they do in Munster.
    People are saying that somehow counties playing against other counties at or below their standard will help improve them. This is complete nonsense and goes against any common sense. You get better by playing against better teams and gradually upping your game. Offaly are a great example but you can choose any county from the lower tiers. They will never be able to make the jump from the level they're playing at to the upper level. It just won't happen.
    Next you're going to say wasn't that always the way. Well yes, in hurling. Carlow, Westmeath, Kerry and teams such as these were never competing. Then other counties like Laois and Antrim were on the edges but never made a breakthrough. Has the lower tiered competitions improved them? Have they got any better? The answer is no. A definite no.
    Now, there was a county at the same level as these mentioned above. Dublin. What did they do to move so far ahead of the rest? How can they comepte at the top level when they never could before. We all know the answer and that tells us what needs to be done for other 'weaker' counties in both football and hurling.
    If the bit in red was true then why have so many counties never ever really challenged at the top end for trophies?

Advertisement