Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tiered Championship

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

So the provincials then just basically replace the pres season FBD, O Byrne Cup etc then? After a few years they become meaningless, ive no issue with that btw, i think they have outlived their purpose, let them die. Re the structure of the cship i think one thing thats paramount is the need to avoid dead rubbers as far as possible which Donaghys system wouldnt do with just the top 2 qualifying. But its easy to come up with a formula once the principle has been agreed

If I remember correctly, the suggestion was to play provicincials in March, so maybe after the league?
    Agree re dead rubber games...would have to be worked out.
    But I also feel with this format, it might be harder to win the All Ireland what with more games against more evenly matched opposition. You might not see so many back to back wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

PressRun wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, the suggestion was to play provicincials in March, so maybe after the league?
    But I also feel with this format, it might be harder to win the All Ireland what with more games against more evenly matched opposition. You might not see so many back to back wins.

Would be the least problem, Depends how many teams we want in each tier, off top of my head, 3 groups of 4, top 2 qualify for quarters and 2 best placed 3rd teams. 2 Groups of 5, winners qualify for semis, 2nd and 3rd in each group play off V each other for the other 2 semi spots. As there would also be relegation the amount of dead rubbers could be absolutely minimised. It's ne of the big flaws with the lopsided Super 8's but will have to see how it pans out this year and next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

PressRun wrote: »

I would assume that the league as we know it is effectively done with, the groups of eight for championship replaces it. College games played in Feb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Waterford have lost by 18 and 20 points in this year's Munster hurling championship and Clare by 13 so regardless how many tiers you introduce you won't have everyone at same level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

What about giving the provincial champions a place in the top division if they are not already in the top 16 with the last placed county not relegated from previous year to drop down. Or give them a playoff? Gives every team a shot at the title at the start of the year, while still having a tiered championship

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

harpsman wrote: »
    What about giving the provincial champions a place in the top division if they are not already in the top 16 with the last placed county not relegated from previous year to drop down. Or give them a playoff? Gives every team a shot at the title at the start of the year, while still having a tiered championship
    Yeah I think the provincials will have to stay and the winners of all 4 are guaranteed entry into the top tier. Gives every team a chance every year and gives the provincials prestige still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

the proposal i would like to see is keep the provincial championships but start the super 8s at the start of the season , run it concurrently with the hurling championship two groups of 4 in each based on where teams finish in division 1 of the football league , ie the two relegated teams will be replaced by the two promoted teams in division 2 and the rest of the teams of division 2,3,4 play the provincial championships

this is how this years championship would look ( Random draws )

top two advance to the all ireland 1/4 final . bottom two teams eliminated , 3rd place teams play off to advance to round 2 of the qualifiers
    group 1 super 8

Dublin
    Donegal
    Galway
    Monaghan

Group 2
    Mayo
    Meath
    tyrone
    Kerry

Ulster Championship teams
    round 1

1.Cavan v armagh
    2.fermanagh v derry

semi final
    antrim v winner 1
    down v winner 2

Final

Connacht Championship

Leitrim v New York

semi finals
    Sligo v London
    Roscommon v Leitrim/New York

final

Munster Championship
    round 1
    Cork v Limerick

semi finals

Clare v Tipperary
    Waterford v Cork/limerick

Leinster Championship
    round 1
    Kildare v Offaly

1/4 finals

1.Louth v Westmeath
    2.Longford v Laois
    3.Wexford v Carlow
    4.Wicklow v Kildare/Offaly

Semi finals

1 v 3
    2 v 4

final

the winners of each provincial final to advance to round 4 of the qualifiers

14 teams excluding NY will take part in the qualifiers round 1 narrowed down to 7 in round 2
    1 losing super 8 from 3rd placed teams play off in the group added into round 2 the
    4 winners of round 2 v the provincial runners up in round 3
    4 winners of round 3 v 4 provincial champions in round 4

all ireland 1/4 finals knockout

semi finals

final

all provincial champions are now fairly open given almost every team a chance to win , the qualifiers probably need a re think but , the super 8s will offer top games between top teams at the start f the championship and one or two big names could be gone after just 3 games like in the hurling

in fairness thats nonsense, how can you have provincials with only some teams in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The whole point of a tiered championship is that teams would be all playing teams of there own level more or less. As well promotion and relegation would allow better teams to develop and teams that are in decline be relegated and try to regroup in a lower division.
    Trying to incorporate a provincial championship into the system is a waste of time In any competition I am aware of the group stages are at the start of the competition to give all teams an equal number of games.
    In hurling it worked as there is virtually equal number of teams in a provincial system. However there is a flaw in that the relegated team is automatically from Leinster. This should be played off at end of the year. Would you lay you house on it being Carlow if that was the case

Slava Ukrainii

in fairness thats nonsense, how can you have provincials with only some teams in it?

what ? the idea of the gaa changing the championship is to even up the games , so its either something like this or a tired championship

kerry dont play in the munster hurling championship if they are in the liam mccarthy cup , same as antrim who will also play in the leinster championship any time they are in the top tier in hurling

i don't see this to be any different , its either going to be something like this or a system in ladies football or hurling , that's what they are proposing and it will most likely go down the ladies football route of junior , intermediate and senior championships

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

what ? the idea of the gaa changing the championship is to even up the games , so its either something like this or a tired championship

kerry dont play in the munster hurling championship if they are in the liam mccarthy cup , same as antrim who will also play in the leinster championship any time they are in the top tier in hurling

i don't see this to be any different , its either going to be something like this or a system in ladies football or hurling , that's what they are proposing and it will most likely go down the ladies football route of junior , intermediate and senior championships

Nothing wrong with change but keeping the provincials while not having the top teams play in them?? Makes no sense whatsoever, why not just scrap them? And using Kerry as en example is ridiculous, traditionally they havent played in Munster, its hardly the same as taking Mayo and Galway out of Connacht

Nothing wrong with change but keeping the provincials while not having the top teams play in them?? Makes no sense whatsoever, why not just scrap them? And using Kerry as en example is ridiculous, traditionally they havent played in Munster, its hardly the same as taking Mayo and Galway out of Connacht

the big problem in the gaa is the top heavy nature of the provincial championships , ie same teams wining all the time , leitrim have won 1 connacht in 50 odd years sligo have won 2 in that time

in munster only clare once 27 years ago have divided cork and kerry in 50 years

in ulster

antrim . over 50 years since last win
    fermanagh : never won one
    derry : 21 years since last win
    cavan : 22 years since last win
    down : 25 years since last win
    armagh : 11 years since last win

leinster championship
    wicklow : never won
    kilkenny : over 50 years ago
    carlow : over 50 years ago
    longford : over 50 years ago
    wexford : over 50 years ago
    louth : over 50 years ago
    kildare : 19 years ago
    offaly : 22 years ago
    westmeath : last win 15 years ago

the major problem is the provincial championships , by taking the stronger teams out of it it opens the door for each team remaining to have a realistic chance of success which would act as afar better spring board then wining an allireland B or C Championship

plus it would also be interesting to see how well the likes of dublin and kerry would do if it was put up to them from the word go , rather then given a free run in the championship up to the last 8

The whole point of a tiered championship is that teams would be all playing teams of there own level more or less. As well promotion and relegation would allow better teams to develop and teams that are in decline be relegated and try to regroup in a lower division.
    Trying to incorporate a provincial championship into the system is a waste of time In any competition I am aware of the group stages are at the start of the competition to give all teams an equal number of games.
    In hurling it worked as there is virtually equal number of teams in a provincial system. However there is a flaw in that the relegated team is automatically from Leinster. This should be played off at end of the year. Would you lay you house on it being Carlow if that was the case

big problem i have is the majority of people wanting to say keep provincial championships have little or no research done ,

there is a real danger if we just keep going the way we are going that top football counties likes of down and derry , kildare offaly ect will get lost for good ,

i cant see how blaming dublin has anything to do with the fact the same 3 teams have dominated connacht for the last 50 years , on 3 occasions in that time did a team outside that bracket win a championship there

in munster its almost 80 years ago bar 1992 with clare that someone outside of cork or kerry won a provincial championship

leinster has had a competitive spell in the early part of the 2000s but is mainly dominated by dublin or meath over the last 50 odd years

ulster is the most competitive championship with 5 counties wining a championship in the last 25 years but given that a trend is starting to develop in both derry and down shows the need for change

what baffles me is why do people want to hang on to this format as it exists , if people want to hang on to the provincial championships well then they will probably need to be watered down or else a full blown change to the championship structure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

The flaw of the tiered championship is the same flaw of the Super 8s...The strong teams get stronger and the weak teams stay weaker.

People may not like the soccer association, but a champions league format is the fairest solution that doesnt cast the Division 4 teams off into the abyss for all eternity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

Carlow got another bad beating in the hurling, that's them done now, back down to their own tier. Then some other county gets the honour of getting thrashed by the big guns. Do you think it will be next year or the year after before they close of the avenue for any tier two team to compete in the real championship? This will also happen in the football. Tiered championships don't work.

Carlow got another bad beating in the hurling, that's them done now, back down to their own tier. Then some other county gets the honour of getting thrashed by the big guns. Do you think it will be next year or the year after before they close of the avenue for any tier two team to compete in the real championship? This will also happen in the football. Tiered championships don't work.
    So club championships in every county in Ireland dont work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

So club championships in every county in Ireland dont work?

Apples and oranges.

Advertisement