Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Sit a two year old on a swing like that and their two little hands will instinctively reach for the rope and grab it .

But if you get the baby drunk and put a bottle in each hand, the toddler would probably meet the same fate. And you might get arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

if she had put the hands up and said, yeah look i made a mistake, she'd still get slagged but it would have taken the wind out of the story.

She should have just stayed quiet. What exactly would she be admitting to? "Yes I deliberately lied and tried to squeeze thousands of euro from an innocent hotel because I injured myself". That explicit confession would be used as a bat against her and Fine Gael for a lifetime.

So will that interview, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I posted the below a few pages back, but I'm going to post it again, because the question is an actual gem!

SOR to MB- "what about people who say you might not be fit to represent FG, as it as party of integrity and doing the right thing"

:pac::D:rolleyes:

Well if FG think that is actually true then they need to boot her first thing in the morning....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

if she had put the hands up and said, yeah look i made a mistake, she'd still get slagged but it would have taken the wind out of the story. but she didnt. she doubled down and made a holy show of herself leaving the other people who followed her on the show, including a party colleague, utterly gobsmacked. i dont like to see anyone kicked while theyre down but she has no one to blame but herself here.

If she put her hands up, she might fall over

if she had put the hands up and said, yeah look i made a mistake, she'd still get slagged but it would have taken the wind out of the story. but she didnt. she doubled down and made a holy show of herself leaving the other people who followed her on the show, including a party colleague, utterly gobsmacked. i dont like to see anyone kicked while theyre down but she has no one to blame but herself here.

She could have made a sort of virtue out if saying she thought better than to proceed, ie to give better example to would-be litigants with injuries on the less severe end of the scale.

She might have said: “Séan, I came to realise that cost of insurance is becoming an issue these days, and felt it my responsibility to cease pursuance of the case. The fact is I was injured, and as a very fit athlete it did curtail the extent to which I could enjoy my activities as I was in pain, but then again I thought better than to go through with it”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

I'll be honest and go slightly against the polished grain.

It seems a daft thing to have in a pub / hotel.

Also - there is a massive difference between a real genuine injury and a fake claim - seems to be lost in story.

Even if the injury is real, the claim can still be fake, if the injury is entirely your own fault. She allegedly injured herself on swing, ffs. It's a child's toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Supposing it went to court and the judge found there was no substance in the claim and ruled in the hotel’s favour, then she could be liable for defendant’s costs, the court fees, the expert witness medical consultants’ fees, and her own lawyer’s time. It may be that the hotel made an undisclosed settlement or that her lawyer, upon seeing an expert witness report that wasn’t in her favour, advised against proceeding further.

It could very be that the hotel's insurers are disappointed she dropped this case. They may well have had all this information in reserve. If it went to court and they won with costs, she would be a handy mark to recover their outlay, with all the positive publicity that would follow

Too often, insurers win their cases, but to follow a penniless claimant for costs is throwing good money after bad

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Has she blamed the backlash on misogyny yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭tinpib

Took my 18 month old niece to the playground! Even she knew to hold onto the swing!!

Get her to hold a full bottle of beer, that you bought but didn't consume, and try again and report back!

To be fair she could of done 100 different version of that interview and it would have been better

First she took no blame
    It was fault of journalist, other parties, member of her own party, keyboard warriors etc etc

Never once said she was in wrong, she was given legal advice that told her to claim. Why would she claim if she didnt?

Never once fully said she was at fault for falling. That was for the judge to decide. She is not legal.

In the end she thought the best option was to try and make it sexist by saying she is a working mother and thats why people are after her?????

In all of these I had no idea if she has kids/married or anything. To be honest I couldn't give a sh*t if she does or doesn't.

It was the worst possible outcome. If Leo doesn't boot her then he might look over at Therese in the UK and get some advice on resignation speechs, because he wont last long....one tip Leo, dont do the stupid little cry at the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

tinpib wrote: »
    Get her to hold a full bottle of beer, that you bought but didn't consume, and try again and report back!

Not only that . Posh hotel on Southside .

Wine beer a good 35 euro round :p

py2006 wrote: »
    Has she blamed the backlash on misogyny yet??

Oh yes that came into it at the end, more or less saying she was picked on because she is a working mother.....

A real fighter for the womens cause this one!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Be right back

tinpib wrote: »

I will! Will have just the one glass of wine before I leave!! I am more the couch and pjs type person!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

It shows what a joke the compensation culture is in this country. It needs to be ripped to pieces root and stem.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,586 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Did I hear right that the affadavit wasn't filed until 3 years after the incident and that's why there were mistakes re: some of the details?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I'd say she is cursing Charlie Flanagan somewhere. His Press advisor is Sean O'Rourkes wife (yeah, they're all intertwined), she has blamed everything/everyone else, he's due some now.

Her father has some form too..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bailey_(Irish_politician)

Quote:

Fake endorsement letter incident

On 23 May 2007, the eve of the general election in Ireland, Bailey circulated a letter purporting to be an official missive from the Fine Gael party, advising party supporters to vote No 1 for Bailey for vote management reasons. The letter was headed with a photo of the party leader, Enda Kenny. This action was subsequently criticised by his running mate, Eugene Regan who called the letter 'entirely dishonest'. Fine Gael's local director of elections, Paddy Hayes, described the letter as a 'serious breach of party discipline and unity'.[1][2]

Missing Golf club planning objection

In 2009, Bailey wrote to constituents in the vicinity of Dun Laoghaire Golf Club to inform them that he had submitted an objection to An Bord Pleanála concerning building development proposed for the Golf club grounds. The appeals body denied receiving an objection from Bailey. Bailey stated it must have gone missing in the post and that his bank was trying to trace the cheque for his submission fee. The Sunday Business Post and Sunday Tribune both reported that Bailey and his daughter had received financial donations towards their election campaigns from the builders and the estate agents of the Golf Club development. Bailey assured the public that the donations had no bearing on his failure to object to the development.[1][2][permanent dead link][3][permanent dead link]

Legal action over candidate selection

Less than two years after the criticism by Eugene Regan of John Bailey, Regan's 25-year-old daughter, Naja, sought to be selected to run as a Fine Gael candidate in the 2009 local elections. The initial selection convention in November 2008 was cancelled at short notice following a letter written by the Fine Gael's three sitting councillors (including John Bailey) to the FG executive council declaring their "unanimous view" that they should be the only candidates selected to run in the ward.[3]

The selection convention was held in February 2009. Naja Regan was prevented from contesting the selection process by order of the national executive council of Fine Gael. She responded by seeking a High Court injunction against Fine Gael for failing to follow its own procedures.[4]

The case was settled out of court when Regan agreed not to contest the election but to be the first substitute candidate for he council in the event of a Fine Gael member ceasing to be a councillor during the term of the council.[5]

Undeclared donations from developers

The Irish Times reported in August, 2010 that Bailey had received donations from a local developer, Devondale Holdings Ltd, that he failed to declare to the Standards in Public Office Commission. Bailey said he would return the donation straight away. “I’ve always declared everything and I’m not ashamed of anything I’ve done. Everything I do is straight on the table. I work 6½ days a week for Dún Laoghaire. Nobody has been stronger against developers,” he said.[6] Subsequently, the Sunday Tribune reported that he had also received undeclared donations in breach of SIPO rules, from Cosgrave Developments Ltd, the developer of the Dun Laoghaire Golf Course scheme.[7]

Fake newspaper endorsement

In 2013, Bailey issued a leaflet designed to look like a local newspaper, the Dun Laoghaire Gazette. The "newspaper" appeared to endorse Bailey, and painted him in a positive light. The Dublin Gazette group denied any involvement in the leaflet, and sought an apology from Bailey. He said that he had "no problem in apologising", but didn't "see what the big deal is". Fine Gael distanced themselves from the leaflet, saying that they would not "condone or support" such literature. This breach of copyright was facilitated by Niall Mescall, managing Director of Reads Design & Print Sandyford & Dun Laoghaire. Mr Mescall instructed staff into editing an article about amgen and the National Rehabilitation Hospital indicating Gazette Group Newspapers had given permission for use in this way. It was reported that John Bailey had delivered approximately 300 of these leaflets to his constituents, however closer to 3000 were actually produced. For this john Bailey paid Niall Mescall C/o Reads Design & Print in Dun Laoghaire approximately €600.[8]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

It shows what a joke the compensation culture is in this country. It needs to be ripped to pieces root and stem.

Start with the judiciary and the legal leeches. In this instance it just happens to be a ministers legal firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0527/1051931-maria-bailey/

She's some crooked cookie.

Zero integrity.

Lies in her affidavit.

No apology to anyone. The hotel, the insurance company, other policy holders, her party, none.

Still thinks she was the one who was hurt: ...'I was hurt...' . Yes but it was all self inflicted.

Essentially she was under the influence of alcohol, she fell off a swing in a hotel and got a few cuts and grazes and maybe needed a bit of physio after it(it;'s hard to believe anything she alludes to tbh). She was at a conccert festival 1 week later and ran a 10k in a good time 3 weeks later. There was nothing really wrong with her.

But she felt she could submit a fraudulent claim for 60k against a hotel bar and lied in her affidavit to seek that compensation for which she felt and (gathering from the interview) still feels entitled.

Fine Gael should throw the book at her and her electorate should never vote for her again. She has zero integrity!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Chatting to someone earlier and he was saying part of the reason people and their solicitors in compo culture land put in for big claims is so as to bully the other side to settle for a lesser sum. So they never expect to get the bigger sum in the first place, it's part of a negotiating trick. If that is true and is what she was at, it's hypocritical of her to be whinging about being bullied herself and also far from her nonsense of it being up to a judge to decide if her game was to never let it near a judge.

• Advertisement

Did I hear right that the affadavit wasn't filed until 3 years after the incident and that's why there were mistakes re: some of the details?

The lies all got too much at that stage

More or less she is trying to say now it was filed but it is up till the court case she has to change her mind about what happened

Strangest thing is normally your memory is best after the event, not 3-4 years later when in court. So all legal companies will get as much down as possible of what really happened before you forget it.

So reading between the lines. She filled a story full of lies into her affadavit. The hope was that the hotel would just settle out of court and she would get a big whack so she would never have togo to court and say a pile of lies.

The issue is it came out and now she is back peddling saying that the legal company made a "mistake" when they interviewed her and got the story wrong so she has now changed it. But because she is such a good person she has decided to withdraw the complaint now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Yurt! wrote: »
    Coveney ... makes an excellent Foreign Minister ... this government would be a hell of a lot more palatable if he was Taoiseach;

Thankfully he's in the key position for this Brexit business, Leo would be completely out of his depth.
    JeffKenna wrote: »
    What exactly have they done that anyone else couldn't do?

Nothing, I'm just saying that it'd be no harm if the current crowd stayed where they are for continuity during Brexit.
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Tis time for us to move on from parties such as ff & fg

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Laois_Man wrote: »
    could SOR have pressed Maira Bailey on the wrong dates in the affidavit more...

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Chatting to someone earlier and he was saying part of the reason people and their solicitors in compo culture land put in for big claims is so as to bully the other side to settle for a lesser sum. So they never expect to get the bigger sum in the first place, it's part of a negotiating trick. If that is true and is what she was at, it's hypocritical of her to be whinging about being bullied herself and also far from her nonsense of it being up to a judge to decide if her game was to never let it near a judge.

That is standard and as mentioned she probably expected to get a lump outside of court as most insurance companies now prefer to just settle. They will get no proper hearing in court. It only goes to court when the greedy f**k on the other side thinks they can get more from a judge....

If settled outside of court then none of her bulls**t lies would have come out, which more or less she admitted in the interview saying all the documents should have been sealed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

The follow up podcast is worth a listen, a few people commenting on it including the terrier Fionnan Sheehan (Indo editor) plus Regina Doherty's interview

Alison O'Connor was "clutching her pearls" and imagines from "Leo down there's FGers in the recovery position going O M G"

GUBU! :)

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/today-with-sean-o-rourke/#103123141

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    The follow up podcast is hilarious, a few people commenting on it including the terrier Fionnan Sheehan (Indo editor) plus Regina Doherty's interview

To rehash the cliché, the main reason that Regina Doherty opens her mouth is so she can switch foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    The follow up podcast is hilarious, a few people commenting on it including the terrier Fionnan Sheehan (Indo editor) plus Regina Doherty's interview

Alison O'Connor was "clutching her pearls" and imagines from "Leo down there's FGers in the recovery position going O M G"

So glad they were there in studio to comment on it because their comments were hilarious.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The lies all got too much at that stage

More or less she is trying to say now it was filed but it is up till the court case she has to change her mind about what happened

Strangest thing is normally your memory is best after the event, not 3-4 years later when in court. So all legal companies will get as much down as possible of what really happened before you forget it.

So reading between the lines. She filled a story full of lies into her affadavit. The hope was that the hotel would just settle out of court and she would get a big whack so she would never have togo to court and say a pile of lies.

The issue is it came out and now she is back peddling saying that the legal company made a "mistake" when they interviewed her and got the story wrong so she has now changed it. But because she is such a good person she has decided to withdraw the complaint now.....

She will now probably sue Madigans solicitors for their errors, affording her loss of face in the public eye and loss of income.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

maria bailey is an anagram of ...... i may be a liar

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Be right back

Anyone know much about her aer lingus case?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement