Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I think people may have forgiven the insurance claim incident possibly until the interview.

But the interview was astounding...

- Zero self awareness
    - Clearly not clever enough to realise that she would be out of her depth
    - No anticipation of any of the questions - SOR didn't even have to ask any unpredictable questions
    - Caused further damage to Josepha Madigan & Madigan solicitors
    - Blamed absolutely everybody else
    - Didn't seek the opinions of FG HQ
    - Takes a cut at both Michael McDowell & Michael Martin too
    - Caught lying about her running times (see balls.ie article)
    - played both the bullying and the female card

Despite her back injury, she still had no difficulty putting her foot in her mouth or digging a hole for herself. :-)

In terms of political car crash interviews, I think it even tops P O'Flynn "houses" interview.

At least when applying for her new job, she should have no difficulties with the "what are your weaknesses?" question......balance, public speaking,

The whole thing is unbelievable!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

VinLieger wrote: »
    Indeed she maintained her average time going of the records people have found which after an "injury" and 3 weeks of not running she would have been unlikely able to do.

With the limited experience I have of running there's very little chance she did no training for 3 or more weeks before the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

while holding a bottle of beer and reaching for her friend's bottle of wine she slipped to the ground.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0527/1051931-maria-bailey/

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

Gawd she came out of that interview looking worse than when she went in. Which is hard to imagine. Fair play to Simon Harris(he is related to her right?) for slating her after the interview. What i noticed mainly was how it was all about her and her being the victim. She did not come across as a person I would like to know personally. I don't think she realises yet that her reputation and her political career have been damaged extensively as a result of her lies/actions etc. Her blaming of everybody else came across as quite childlike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    The follow up podcast is worth a listen, a few people commenting on it including the terrier Fionnan Sheehan (Indo editor) plus Regina Doherty's interview

Alison O'Connor was "clutching her pearls" and imagines from "Leo down there's FGers in the recovery position going O M G"

GUBU! :)

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/today-with-sean-o-rourke/#103123141

She's toast. Quite clear where Regina's thought process is at.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I would love to know what her best 10k time is, as she said the 53 mins wasn't good 'for her'. Just to know if she was bs'ing about that too.

Well she has gotten worse since. She finished a munte slower again in 2017

https://www.myrunresults.com/events/dlr_bay_10k/2147/results/bib61?fbclid=IwAR0BIc1ul3utpiNJ5wH9vQWSqZdQREiLPtIMfQZcrYC1-0FSzkbDur8-Duo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Transcript of the interview is here - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/transcript-of-maria-bailey-interview-on-sean-o-rourke-show-1.3905867
    I'm stumped at a few things she says, but this:
    SOR: Did you come under pressure from the Taoiseach or anybody in the party?

MB: Absolutely not, it was a private matter. This happened long before I was a TD. I was a councillor at the time.

Was she not with FG when she was a councillor, and why would something happening as a councillor be less public/relevant than as a TD?

I get that councillors are local, but surely it would still be relevant that a public figure is attempting insurance fraud?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So in the space of one interview of about twenty minutes she managed to annoy the FG Top brass, got her colleague Regina Doherty to comment on something she never expected to, has possibly made it very uncomfortable with Josepha madigan by what she implied, and got other ministers to preform the disco stu move of getting as far away from her as possible. In fairness that's some doing in one interview.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    The follow up podcast is worth a listen, a few people commenting on it including the terrier Fionnan Sheehan (Indo editor) plus Regina Doherty's interview

Alison O'Connor was "clutching her pearls" and imagines from "Leo down there's FGers in the recovery position going O M G"

GUBU! :)

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/today-with-sean-o-rourke/#103123141
    Alison O'Connor is a gem (a clutch of pearls, if you like).

Thought she was extremely fair in her commentary. Obviously reeling, like the rest of us, but still questioned whether the story merited daily headlines in a national 'broadsheet'.

Can't understand why AO'C hasn't been given her own slot on radio or TV. I can only assume she doesn't want one.

One of the most balanced and talented journalists at work on this island.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    She's toast. Quite clear where Regina's thought process is at.
    Yeah Regina Doherty was going on to talk about the election results and probably a bog standard post election interview which she's probably done many times. Instead she was first up to try and make some sense of that mess people had just heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

SOR: Just clarify one thing, did you have something in each hand when this happened?

MB: That would have been a case for the judge to adjudicate on ...

SOR: What is your recollection?

MB: Sean, I am not opening a trial here.

SOR: It’s a legitimate question to ask you because you came here to talk about this whole case and why you’ve dropped it - now for you not to be able to tell me, and you’ve dropped the case, so the question of a judge doesn’t actually arise ... I’m just asking you to tell me what happened.

MB: It actually does, Sean and I’ll tell you why it does matter, because I believe in our judicial system in this country and I believe the proper place for that is the Four Courts ...

SOR: But you’re not going there now ...

MB: Sean, let me tell you why I’m not going there. Due to the unbelievable abuse I wasn’t able to go home for three days last week because journalists were sitting outside my home. That is an invasion of my privacy and humanity has been crossed.

pmsl

How is that not answerable?? :D

Gawd she came out of that interview looking worse than when she went in. Which is hard to imagine. Fair play to Simon Harris(he is related to her right?)

Yep. Says a lot, doesn't it?

If my cousin had shat herself in public (metaphorically speaking) I like to think I'd try to defend her. Harris pretty much hung her out to dry in that doorstep. That took guts, in fairness to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Suckit wrote: »
    pmsl

because if she answer that then the hotel could potentially sue her.

At least that was the one bit she knew not the f**k up.....

Yep. Says a lot, doesn't it?

If my cousin had shat herself in public (metaphorically speaking) I like to think I'd try to defend her. Harris pretty much hung her out to dry in that doorstep. That took guts, in fairness to him.

It's made the next family gathering a bit awkward though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Fair play to Simon Harris(he is related to her right?) for slating her after the interview.

Slated?

He says it was 'unfortunate'. Luck was not on her side, or that she didn't quite get across what she wanted to say.
    That's hardly slating her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Best one so far

hb-bailey-swings-lb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Just listened to her interview - she's completely unrepentant and sees herself as a victim of 'the mob'. I'd say she's a nasty piece of work.

Suckit wrote: »
    pmsl

Jesus Nadia Comaneci would be impressed with those mental gymnastics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

Speaking from the RDS where local and European election votes are being counted, Minister Harris said: “I think it was an unfortunate interview.

“I think when you withdraw a claim, I think that is in itself an acknowledgement of the fact that perhaps that claim shouldn’t have been proceeded.

“The interview seemed very much to be in the space of blaming lots of other people.”

Yes, I d call that a slating. Also pulled her up on not mentioning to fine gael that she going on radio
    Slated?

He says it was 'unfortunate'. Luck was not on her side, or that she didn't quite get across what she wanted to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Slated?

He also said she she never should have made a case against the hotel and she was now “blaming lots of other people.”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

She was a disgrace in her interview with Sean O'Rourke this morning.Theres definitely nothing wrong with her hard neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,990 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

She was unfortunate in the sense there wasnt a power failure in RTE forcing cancellation of her interview... and saving her from herself.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

I smell a rat tbh.

Josepha is inextricably involved now either way, it is inconceivable that she wasn't fully aware of this case.

Bailey has said she was informed by Madigans that the case was open and shut.

Granted, she (Bailey) could be lying about her legal advise, or equally plausible is that Madigans informed her that it was an open and cut cafe on the back of lies being told to them, but either way, Josepha and her family's law firm have become entangled in this chancers web of greed and deceit.

It will all come out in the end though, that's for sure.

The solicitors involved here and in other bogey cases are every bit as culpable as those that seek to make claims in the first place. As much as MB made a tit of herself Madigans firm are left with a massive bloody nose here.

They are the ones that advise the claimants.

They are the ones that tell the claimants what to say.

They are the ones that are creaming 20 to 30% on top of any awards in fees.

They put themselves forward as some bastion of moral guidance but their snouts are as deep in the troughs as the claimants.

A great result overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

All she had to say was 'I got bad advice that I followed and I'm deeply sorry for taking this course of action'.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Just listened to her interview - she's completely unrepentant and sees herself as a victim of 'the mob'. I'd say she's a nasty piece of work.

Couldn't agree more. Is she deluded or just arrogant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

beno619 wrote: »

Paul Allen, PR expert, joining her now in the dole queue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

The solicitors involved here and in other bogey cases are every bit as culpable as those that seek to make claims in the first place. As much as MB made a tit of herself Madigans firm are left with a massive bloody nose here.

They are the ones that advise the claimants.

They are the ones that tell the claimants what to say.

They are the ones that are creaming 20 to 30% on top of any awards in fees.

They put themselves forward as some bastion of moral guidance but their snouts are as deep in the troughs as the claimants.

A great result overall.

There's no such thing as bad publicity....

tbh I'd say they'll do well out of this cos every other sponger will be beating a path to their door knowing that they take on these type of fantasy cases....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Has there been any photos of the swing that assaulted her?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement