Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MORE crap on the way.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,955 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

yubabill wrote: »
    While I personally would have no problem with that, I'm pretty sure it would be hard to get even 1% of shooters to sign up, given the infighting that's a historical feature of our sport.

Just 1% of Irish shooters would be an overwhelming number to knock this party's current membership by a factor of 2 to 1

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm not a massive fan of the NRA, but we could certainly take a lesson from them on how to influence politicians.

In the short term, perhaps we can quickly put a list together of who is likely to try and do us not harm, if nothing else.

Thanks.

Know how the NRA does it?They have a dedicated hard core bunch of grassroots activists who email,phone ,write and above all LOBBY their repersentatives on ever issue that occurs state or in DC immediately and right away! Nothing to do with money,NRA is compared to big Pharma,Tobacco, Oil and the auto industry in the USA in the peanuts and chump change leauge on donations. Because of this dedicated grassroots level activitism they get heard,alot,and have even been grudgingly admired by the anti gun lobby and the other activit groups as being utterly effective,and wishing they had people as dedicated.
    Now,compare that to us over here.... In this case, I have to admire our anti friend down in Callan,he might be a one man band,recycling his letters as the seasons go.But I have to admire his dedication to his cause.On the positive side over here Irish apathy afflicts the antis as much as it afflicts us.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

Hi,

No doubt that thee idea of us all lobbying politicians, voting as a block etc. is a good one., but we aren't organised for this election.

Maybe start a thread with some suggestions, start organising people for the next election?

I'm not a massive fan of the NRA, but we could certainly take a lesson from them on how to influence politicians.

In the meantime, we've elections on Friday. I've not had opportunity to speak with one single European candidate (only councillors), but for those who have, have you raised questions about our sport and if so, with who, and what was the response please?

In the short term, perhaps we can quickly put a list together of who is likely to try and do us not harm, if nothing else.

Thanks.
    I’ve been watching threads on Facebook for the last few weeks, on the Nargc and Federation of Cork gunclubs page. There are a few candidates who have given positive feedback in writing but there has been no definitive list announced by the Nargc, which I had hoped would be the case. Just going on the comments I will be voting for Liadh Ni Riadha. I messaged her too to say that the reason I and many thousands of others ( not that I could prove but you would hope) will be voting for her is because of her positive view on fieldsports.
    It’s a pity that the Nargc haven’t put a list of supported candidates on their website for all to see, especially the candidates themselves so they would see that we are a big united group that could possibly sway things there way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Know how the NRA does it?They have a dedicated hard core bunch of grassroots activists who email,phone ,write and above all LOBBY their repersentatives on ever issue that occurs state or in DC immediately and right away! Nothing to do with money,NRA is compared to big Pharma,Tobacco, Oil and the auto industry in the USA in the peanuts and chump change leauge on donations. Because of this dedicated grassroots level activitism they get heard,alot,and have even been grudgingly admired by the anti gun lobby and the other activit groups as being utterly effective,and wishing they had people as dedicated.
    Now,compare that to us over here.... In this case, I have to admire our anti friend down in Callan,he might be a one man band,recycling his letters as the seasons go.But I have to admire his dedication to his cause.On the positive side over here Irish apathy afflicts the antis as much as it afflicts us.:rolleyes:

Most of the American shooting channels on Youtube, actively advocate NRA membership. Hickok45 says it at the start of all his videos "If you're not in the NRA, be sure and join today".

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

The Nargc Facebook page has a list of candidates that have shown support for our sport but it’s buried in the comments. I suggested that they put the list on the website before Friday for non Facebook users, which I imagine is huge as most people I know are not bothered with it any more. I also suggested that it be left there and updated before every election so the candidates themself might come across it( they won’t if it’s buried in Facebook comments). It should be titled “The Nargc recommends these candidates in the upcoming election to its 100,000 members ( guessing that figure). If a party could see a block of votes like this could be swayed their way then I’m sure they would take notice.

• Advertisement

There are so many serious issues and problems going on in this little island, shooting must be second from bottom in terms of importance. As for td's, councellors etc supporting us, so did that bloated lump Biffo when he was taoiseach, until it suited him and the northern hob-goblin to stitch us up.

At that stage that fat drunken oaf was so full of his own ****e and too busy telling Merkel[of all people!] how to solve Germanys economic problems by ponzi property schemes,that he had proably forgotten that he was ever for shooting,and who his justice minister actually was.:rolleyes:
    Without a doubt it is...But any party or canditate with any sort of shrewdness,could pick up a huge vote by just for once nailing their colours to the mast on this issue.

At that stage that fat drunken oaf was so full of his own ****e and too busy telling Merkel[of all people!] how to solve Germanys economic problems by ponzi property schemes,that he had proably forgotten that he was ever for shooting,and who his justice minister actually was.:rolleyes:
    Without a doubt it is...But any party or canditate with any sort of shrewdness,could pick up a huge vote by just for once nailing their colours to the mast on this issue.

Well thank god we will never do that again ! Says he who has just seen a run down council house sold for nearly 600k :rolleyes:. The Irish, we really don't learn lessons do we ?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

Hi,

No doubt that thee idea of us all lobbying politicians, voting as a block etc. is a good one., but we aren't organised for this election.

Maybe start a thread with some suggestions, start organising people for the next election?

In the meantime, we've elections on Friday. I've not had opportunity to speak with one single European candidate (only councillors), but for those who have, have you raised questions about our sport and if so, with who, and what was the response please?

Thanks.

Was hoping someone else would answer.

From memory, from extensive phone calls.emails with the politicians mentioned, during the EU gun ban directive in 2017(?) our main ally was Marian Harkin MEP, from the ALDE group in the EU parliament. Unfortunately, she is not seeking re-election.

Our main adversary was Mairead McGuinness, Vice-something big in the EU Parliament, from FG and the EPP group. Initially supportive, but changed sides following a consultation with FRANCES FITZGERALD (now seeking an EU seat in Dublin).

Ming Flanagan came down on our side, but like Marian Harkin, was hamstrung by Juncker in the vote.

Leaning towards us were Sinn Fein MEP's, who were neither a help nor a hindrance, but who probably thought they were helping by abstaining - my main contact was Matt Carthy.

The FF guy in the wheelchair from Cork gave us his full support, but he is not standing this time.

Brian Hayes FG (not standing) played us off from both sides.

Marian is a big loss to us alright.The jury is still out whether those that "supported" the EU gun ban did us a favour or not too. All down to perspective I guess.The East bloc lads in Firearms United Network wanted the whole directive collapsed .Which IMO was an impossibility,and could have been restructured with something much worse.We had diluted the proposals of the bans by something like 80% in the directive,so this is what our MEPs voted for,and are claimed to be anti and selling out because of it... Kind of reminds me of the Irish civil war and the treaty signing with the UK.Dammed if you do ,dammed if you dont.

TBH,we have in the big picture,so few MEPS from Ireland,that even if they voted with both hands up on an issue,they will be a minority against the big four on any issues...On an aside ,this is why the US has this thing called the Electoral College,which works pretty well for the last 235 years,and prevents little pouplation states from being squeezed out of decision making,by massive pouplation East&West coast states.

• Advertisement

Marian is a big loss to us alright.The jury is still out whether those that "supported" the EU gun ban did us a favour or not too. All down to perspective I guess.The East bloc lads in Firearms United Network wanted the whole directive collapsed .Which IMO was an impossibility,and could have been restructured with something much worse.We had diluted the proposals of the bans by something like 80% in the directive,so this is what our MEPs voted for,and are claimed to be anti and selling out because of it... Kind of reminds me of the Irish civil war and the treaty signing with the UK.Dammed if you do ,dammed if you dont.

TBH,we have in the big picture,so few MEPS from Ireland,that even if they voted with both hands up on an issue,they will be a minority against the big four on any issues...On an aside ,this is why the US has this thing called the Electoral College,which works pretty well for the last 235 years,and prevents little pouplation states from being squeezed out of decision making,by massive pouplation East&West coast states.

I get the impression that if the eu commission want something, gun ban or otherwise, they get it and don't let that pesky democracy stuff get in the way. The eu parliament isn't really much of an obstacle. Hence the widespread rise of people not being happy with the eu as a whole.

Gunsweek article on the Swiss referendum.Looks like its possible that every five years the EU could come back for further gun bans,until there is nothing left Eu wide.:(
    https://www.gunsweek.com/en/culture/articles/swiss-gun-control-referendum?fbclid=IwAR1e1bvRjn-OIDHgq36CqDywiz4lH6zWwz36D8ChzGUY4DLUp_HFf

Gunsweek article on the Swiss referendum.Looks like its possible that every five years the EU could come back for further gun bans,until there is nothing left Eu wide.:(
    https://www.gunsweek.com/en/culture/articles/swiss-gun-control-referendum?fbclid=IwAR1e1bvRjn-OIDHgq36CqDywiz4lH6zWwz36D8ChzGUY4DLUp_HFf

And i would imagine they will keep coming back. They are playing the long game, like a shark eating a whale, they won't try to swallow it in one go, just keep nibbling away at all sides until there is little left.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

The EU will always leave themselves a back door to ultimately get their own way in the long term. Swiss firearms were never an issue because they were not an EU member so the rules didn't apply.
    But in true EU fashion apparently its now a condition of being a Schengan country that you now have to obey the EU overlords laws that only apply to the member states.
    Switzerland keep your guns sure its no problem your not a member state, but oh hang on if you would still like to trade and have free movement of people with us then get out your angle grinders no exceptions.
    Whether a country is a member or not is irrelevant if the EU want it they get it, I mean for god sake how many times have they made us vote on the same treaties until they get the answer they want.
    How our so called representatives in the Dail dont see this as a dictatorship is beyond me, or maybe they do but just couldn't care less. Because in a few years they will still get their same wages for reading out todays EU news we all must obey (oh wait they already do), until such time as germany decide we no longer need local government and sure it will be just easier if they do it from there.
    Oh its the long game alright.
    Rant over.

solarwinds wrote: »
    The EU will always leave themselves a back door to ultimately get their own way in the long term. Swiss firearms were never an issue because they were not an EU member so the rules didn't apply.
    But in true EU fashion apparently its now a condition of being a Schengan country that you now have to obey the EU overlords laws that only apply to the member states.
    Switzerland keep your guns sure its no problem your not a member state, but oh hang on if you would still like to trade and have free movement of people with us then get out your angle grinders no exceptions.
    Whether a country is a member or not is irrelevant if the EU want it they get it, I mean for god sake how many times have they made us vote on the same treaties until they get the answer they want.
    How our so called representatives in the Dail dont see this as a dictatorship is beyond me, or maybe they do but just couldn't care less. Because in a few years they will still get their same wages for reading out todays EU news we all must obey (oh wait they already do), until such time as germany decide we no longer need local government and sure it will be just easier if they do it from there.
    Rant over.

The Irish government are complicit in selling us out. Remember Bertie with the nice or lisbon treaties, i forget which. "Don't read it, just vote yes, i don't understand it, i didn't read, it but we need to vote for it".

Plus i don't think the irish care so long as they can get cheap loans to buy vastly overvalued houses, and 60k audi's and bmw's. Wait until the lisbon treaty kicks in next year, it means the eu will be able to set tax rates and they are itching to get at Irelands corporate tax rate, which attracts the big US companies. There will be a lot of head scratching after that.

[QUOTE=solarwinds;
    How our so-called representatives in the Dail dont see this as a dictatorship is beyond me, or maybe they do but just couldn't care less. Because in a few years they will still get their same wages for reading out today's EU news we all must obey (oh wait they already do), until such time as germany decide we no longer need local government and sure it will be just easier if they do it from there.
    Rant over.[/QUOTE]

It has been a long standing Irish govt policy to let "the big boys" decide things in Brussels since about 1976.Have you ever watched them,body langaugewise in the news reports?They are docile little lambs, who realise they are playing with the big boys and are sooo far out of their depths that their glorified county councillor tactics that got them to the Dail are useless when you are dealing people with REAL power.Just for an aside,but kind of critical for anyone dealing in diplomacy and the like.How many of our Euro MEPS or govt can actually speak fluently a EU langauge?[gaelic excluded] Rason I'm saying this is vitally important,is simply because translators cannot translate the nuances and gestures of a langauge.I refer to BIFFO telling Merkel how to sort out german economy by ponzi schemes in property buying in the Celtic Tiger era..If that oaf from Offaly had known some Germanand the German mindset of speech.He would have wilted down to 2inches with a top hat on at the utter disguised dagger looks Merkel was firing at him.:eek::eek:

So if our lot dont even have a fluency in another lingothat they can dispense with translators...What hope have they in negoiating?? But shure why bother?With 150K worth of unvouched expenses PA... Its a race for a "who wants to be an Irish milionare MEP"seat in the long run. Look at how much Brian Crowley trouserd and he was hardly in the place due to his ill health.

How can we ever forget the little pat on the head for Enda Kenny, that is all we are to them obedient little children. You dont do that to an equal or someone you respect it was extremely condescending to him and us as a nation to see our leader being treated like that.
    Says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

BIFFO telling Merkel how to sort out german economy by ponzi schemes in property buying in the Celtic Tiger era..If that oaf from Offaly had known some Germanand the German mindset of speech.He would have wilted down to 2inches with a top hat on at the utter disguised dagger looks Merkel was firing at him.:eek::eek:

WE digress, but didn't the German banks climb deep into the Irish property Ponzi scheme that was the last Celtic Tiger with unsecured bonds?

ECB insisted they got their cash back from the Irish Taxpayers (which does prove the cowtowing point being made)

solarwinds wrote: »
    How can we ever forget the little pat on the head for Enda Kenny, that is all we are to them obedient little children. You dont do that to an equal or someone you respect it was extremely condescending to him and us as a nation to see our leader being treated like that.
    Says it all really.

If Kenny had a ball to his name he would have chinned that slimy frog :mad:

BryanL wrote: »
    WE digress, but didn't the German banks climb deep into the Irish property Ponzi scheme that was the last Celtic Tiger with unsecured bonds?

ECB insisted they got their cash back from the Irish Taxpayers (which does prove the cowtowing point being made)

Remember tho,banks are there to make themselves&shareholders money... Ireland was a ripe market for the German banks.Lets face it the average German is the most frugal fecker going.Esp the older generation of post war years.They live to work,[us Irish work to live,or did back then].A big spend for Germans would be buying a car or washing machine,and well within affordable payments,avoiding bank loans if at all possible.So the market for money loaning to the natives was saited,we OTOH were a ripe target for loans and cheap money,and in fairness "we[and thats a qualified we] partied".Seriously,some of the excesse here was ridicilous.Even on boards here.Remember posts of lads paying over a grand for Glocks in Irish gun dealers??:eek:And being considerd cheap skates...So yeah,it was no surprise then that the German banks wanted their money back in 08,and it was less of a surprise to me that the Irish govt nationalised essentially private banking debt.Why?Simply because the politicans are in bed with the bankers,builders and barristers. If the Govt had said to the banks,"not our problem lads".The banks reply would have been"Remember that at the next local and general elections when you need a loan to run an election campaign!And BTW we are foreclosing on your loan for your other projects and mortages."
    They all meet,drink,play golf and screw in the same social circles,so it was never going to happen that we would see Madoff style arrests of Anglo bankers being frogmarched into squad cars and driven off at top speed to the local nick.

The whole thing is rotten to the core here.You would literally need a Trump like figure here to break the wheel.Someone with lots of their own money,not moving in the Dublin power circle or of the D4 set,not beholden to any political set or caste,and who loves their country genuinely,not paying lip service to patriotism.IOW an Irish unicorn...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭garrettod

yubabill wrote: »

Our main adversary was Mairead McGuinness, Vice-something big in the EU Parliament, from FG and the EPP group. Initially supportive, but changed sides following a consultation with FRANCES FITZGERALD (now seeking an EU seat in Dublin). ....

No voting for the oul blue shirt FG crowd, that's a given :)

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭JohnFitz2332

Greens are feckin cleaning up

Greens are feckin cleaning up

I despair of this dreary kip of a country :mad:

WAIT Until they all have to start paying for this sht that they want Their financial plan looks like it was written by a bunch of 12 year olds.But seemingly they refer to 16 year old Swedish girls for all their enviromental policies,maybe this is possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Croohur

I saw a tweet from a journo who said that Green candidates who did minimal canvassing with little thought of being elected are now having to confront the possibility of themselves actually getting elected and doing something. Journo talked to one who seemed terrified of the thought. Join the club me bucko.

Ah well you know the old saying,
    Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

I reckon a lot of people have despaired of the tweedle dum-tweedle dee, fg/ff pantomime. Could not stomach voting for the marxist/leninists, people before washing, richboy communist lot, and were left with the greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Feisar

oldgit1897 wrote: »
    I reckon a lot of people have despaired of the tweedle dum-tweedle dee, fg/ff pantomime. Could not stomach voting for the marxist/leninists, people before washing, richboy communist lot, and were left with the greens.

That was me so I chose not to vote. People will say I won't be able to complain and that's fair enough. I'll shrug my shoulders and nod my head at whatever crap comes along. The system won't be changed from the inside IMO, all voting does is prop up the status quo.

First they came for the socialists...

Feisar wrote: »
    That was me so I chose not to vote. People will say I won't be able to complain and that's fair enough. I'll shrug my shoulders and nod my head at whatever crap comes along. The system won't be changed from the inside IMO, all voting does is prop up the status quo.

I fail to see how if you don't vote for the usual twits. Anyway, with the melons heading to europe in droves, it will be interesting to see what green student union-esq rubbish they will be introducing :confused:

Bigger taxes on petrol/diesel etc ? They are none to fond of the shooting community, intensive farming, you name it.

• Advertisement

Dont think they will be much of a threat to us in Europe.It isnt that much of a massive gain for them and the big 3,have also got new Right wing/skeptics to balance out this lot.The centreists have virtually collapsed in Brussels,so it will be intresting.
    Back home, their more wackadoodle taxation policies will be gobbled up bu FG/FF and used to tax us,as we "all voted green"and want climate change action":mad: Local elections and this lot sitting on councils ,well let them the majority are Dubs anyway,and once they turn Rathdown Dunlaghorie into a Brighton /Hove Green utopia of city management...Read[ Mogadishu on Sea in the UK] and people start seeing their property value start to fall,they will be out just as quicj in the next locals.

Advertisement