Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 6 "The Iron Throne" - Spoilers post 2 forw

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Of course Drogon didn't burn Jon, he's his first cousin!
    Just like Jon wouldn't kill his Aunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

“What unites people? Gold? No. Armies? No! It’s stories.....”

Oh just f**k off with this sh*t writing!!!!

“What unites people? Gold? No. Armies? No! It’s stories.....”

Oh just f**k off with this sh*t writing!!!!

"love is duty" - "duty is love" :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

HBO, who stumped up the money, dropped the ball on this.
    GOT was their crown jewel. Creative differences should have come into force.
    D&D turning in those scripts for a six part final season ought to have been ringing alarm bells.
    The final season should have been 10 episodes which HBO wanted and should have demanded.
    If D&D refused then their contracts should have been paid off with competent writing staff employed to give it the respect it had earned. GOT is of a literary source and thus the writing is paramount but it wasn't up to standard.

You have to feel for the production staff who worked their asses off to produce excellent work for Season 8.
    I was just reminded of Revenge of the Sith and Anakin Skywalker going from a frustrated Jedi who is not trusted, gets manipulated with the idea he can save his wife from dying in childbirth, that he can only save her by being a Sith and in the space of a few weeks he is readily committing massacres and murdering young Jedi's. All of it playing out with top notch production and by an actor who can only do the best with what they've been given. That was the product of poor writing from a creative in Lucas who was actually a poor screenwriter (Episodes 1 and 2 being proof positive of that) and who should have had the common sense to leave his ego at the door and employ proper screenwriters to give audiences and their intelligence some respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I actually think Dany's transformation was perfectly fine. In previous seasons Jorah held her back, Ser Barristan persuaded her to offer fair trial to Sons of the Harpy, Tyrion persuaded her not to burn Meereen and and every so often she did kill people not because of what they did but because of who they were. In 7th season Tyrion didn't manage to stop her and when she lost loved ones and started to distrust everyone around there wasn't much to hold her back.

Thinking back I think most of viewers (me included) were uncomfortable with either some of her actions or some of her intentions but we forgot about them because her cause was 'just' and because she was reined back when she wanted to follow her worst impulses. In season 8 there just wasn't anyone left to stop her. I think the writting in the second part of last episode was a bit silly and corny but I thought 5th episode made perfect sense. And I think Dany's meltdown was surprising only because in our mind good guys kill bad guys as she did before, nobody paused to think there could be good among those she crucified for example. She didn't really distinguish.

I have absolutely no objection to where the story ended but the writing around Bran's coronation and how they got there really wasn't great. Plus Arya sailing into the sunset was a little bit daft. She didn't show any interest to explore before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

valoren wrote: »
    That was the product of poor writing from a creative in Lucas who was actually a poor screenwriter (Episdoes 1 and 2 being proof positive of that) and who should have had the common sense to employ proper screenwriters to show audiences and their intelligence some respect.

Entirely agree, this desperately needed a writing staff and more team-led creative-input to bring the perfectly sound creative vision to credible life.

I was actually drawing comparisons between Lucas and his insistence on ultimate autonomy over the prequels, and Benioff and Weiss, in another thread just yesterday.

The results are almost identical.

Entirely agree, this desperately needed a writing staff and more team-led creative-input to bring the perfectly sound creative vision to credible life.

I was actually drawing comparisons between Lucas and his insistence on ultimate autonomy over the prequels, and Benioff and Weiss, in another thread just yesterday.

The results are almost identical.

yeah motivated by $$$$$$$$$ - sad but true - prequels weren't the only crap thing about star wars though - return of the jedi - complete tosh.

It should be the end of the careers of the two writers..they should never work again..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

turbbo wrote: »
    Sardonicat wrote: »
    Of course Drogon didn't burn Jon, he's his first cousin!
    Just like Jon wouldn't kill his Aunt.
    I'm more impressed with Drogon's fine motor skills picking up Dany like that. I'm surprised he didn't eat his food with a knife and fork (once he'd toasted it to perfection, of course )

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

So the big takeaway from this is, if you're electing a ruler for life, might want to check what their lifespan is. :pac:

• Advertisement

It should be the end of the careers of the two writers..they should never work again..

This is just daft. It's just entertainment, I'm starting to think too many people have unhealthy obsession with the show.

meeeeh wrote: »
    This is just daft. It's just entertainment, I'm starting to think too many people have unhealthy obsession with the show.

Lots of people did..
    That's the sad reality..It was a piece of art that had entered the public consciousness..It had become culturally relevant.. Northern Ireland's bloody tourist industry is based on it at this stage for God's sake..
    For them to take it and just drive it into the ground was criminal..

(Not me personally, btw..it was good for a while..got sh1te season 6ish..I just like to whinge about it on the internet..)

Lots of people did..
    That's the sad reality..It was a piece of art that had entered the public consciousness..It had become culturally relevant.. Northern Ireland's bloody tourist industry is based on it at this stage for God's sake..
    For them to take it and just drive it into the ground was criminal..

:eek:

:eek:

Exactly..

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

This. Some utter utter drivel been written about the last season and genuinely think that no matter the ending it would have been the same. Some people just wanted to have a moan and value their own opinion too much.

Mightn’t have been perfect in places, rushed elsewhere but some would have it up there with Fair City!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

NuMarvel wrote: »
    Greyworm: I'm gonna kill all my queen's enemies!

Also Greyworm: Except the murderer of my queen, of course.

:confused::confused:

This just sums it up for me. Plot holes everywhere.
    Greyworm had just slaughtered a bunch of defenseless soldiers who had surrendered, in the name of Dany, and now we're expected to believe that he'd spare Jon & Tyrion for betraying/murdering his Queen?
    Or that he'd have any respect for the authority of the new King? Greyworm is a blood lusting war solider, why would he give a monkeys what a new King commanded? He was only loyal to Dany.
    Not true to his character AT ALL.

The dragon melting the throne was beyond cringe. I would have expected it to either Dracarys Jon, for killing his mother, or becoming loyal to Jon, because he's a Targaryan.
    But no, we're expected to believe the dragon has the faculty to forgive Jon because he's a Targaryan, and off he sails into the sunset.

Bran being chosen as King because he has a great story was ridiculous.
    I can think of about 10 characters off the top of my head who had better, more interesting, stories than Bran.
    Hell I'd have even preferred to see Gendry get it, because having the series start & end with a Baratheon on the throne would have been poetic.
    Love how the whole thing was decided & neatly tied up in about 45 seconds as well, by none other than Tyrion (prisoner of war).

8 seasons and it was all squared off with zero objection (apart from Sansa) in a jiffy. Unbelievable.

The only positives were Tyrion finding Cersei & Jaime, there was genuine emotion there & it was really well done, and Jon killing Dany after she gets to touch (but not sit) on the throne, thus ending her dream.

I've followed all episode threads since the start of season 8 and this is my first time posting, mainly because I had such mixed views on previous episodes.
    I thanked posts both supporting & criticising, because I could see good and bad in all of them.
    But this really fell flat for me.

Fwiw, my ideal ending would have been Sansa as Queen, & Jon as King of the North. Bran could have fecked off back to the forest for all I cared.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

walshb wrote: »
    I honestly think I could give as good an acting performance as any of these numpties in this show...

Sure you could.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

"love is duty" - "duty is love" :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

It was actually "Love is the death of duty" and "Duty is the death of love" wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I actually think Dany's transformation was perfectly fine. In previous seasons Jorah held her back, Ser Barristan persuaded her to offer fair trial to Sons of the Harpy, Tyrion persuaded her not to burn Meereen and and every so often she did kill people not because of what they did but because of who they were. In 7th season Tyrion didn't manage to stop her and when she lost loved ones and started to distrust everyone around there wasn't much to hold her back.

Thinking back I think most of viewers (me included) were uncomfortable with either some of her actions or some of her intentions but we forgot about them because her cause was 'just' and because she was reined back when she wanted to follow her worst impulses. In season 8 there just wasn't anyone left to stop her. I think the writting in the second part of last episode was a bit silly and corny but I thought 5th episode made perfect sense. And I think Dany's meltdown was surprising only because in our mind good guys kill bad guys as she did before, nobody paused to think there could be good among those she crucified for example. She didn't really distinguish.

Agreed, and I think Tyrion's speech to Jon summed it all up perfectly and demonstrated the clear cause and effect of it all through her whole journey. Her advisors always helped control her worst impulses, but those impulses were always there. Then her victories were always cheered because she defeated bad people, but it all created a God complex for her and she believed herself to be the absolute judge of right and wrong. Without anyone she trusted to ask her to reconsider and with absolute belief this was her destiny, she came to believe anything she chose to do was right, because she decides what it right.

I thought Jon's conversations with Tyrion and Dany herself gave as good an explanation and examination of who Dany had become as was possible. Possibly a bit late at that stage and would have preferred to see Jon come to some of those conclusions a bit earlier though, rather than just parroting "She is our Queen" to everyone.

I'm confused to why people think Bran planned all this. I thought he could see everything in the past, not the future? He couldn't have known for sure that Dany would destory King's Landing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

walshb wrote: »
    I honestly think I could give as good an acting performance as any of these numpties in this show...

Snow, Sansa, Arya, Davos, Blondie particularly Sh1t...

Only Varys for me stood out as quality...
    Don't be silly.

bigslice wrote: »
    This. Some utter utter drivel been written about the last season and genuinely think that no matter the ending it would have been the same. Some people just wanted to have a moan and value their own opinion too much.

Mightn’t have been perfect in places, rushed elsewhere but some would have it up there with Fair City!

This season's dialogue was on a par with Fair City for the majority of it.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It was actually "Love is the death of duty" and "Duty is the death of love" wasn't it?

Still Pish!

This season's dialogue was on a par with Fair City for the majority of it.

Dude.. have you watched fair city lately?
    It's way more sophisticated than this last season of GOT..

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Still Pish!

Accurate pish now at least. :D

Still Pish!

I thought it was Tyrion telling him it's his duty to kill Dany. That's how I understood the quote and though it was fairly obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I'm confused to why people think Bran planned all this. I thought he could see everything in the past, not the future? He couldn't have known for sure that Dany would destory King's Landing.

Why do you think I came?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Wow, so much butthurt in this thread. Like somebody took their last rolo or their rice crispies were soggier than usual this morning. It's like an echo chamber. Is it hip to hate the show now?

There's a lot of people who are not capable of formulating their own opinions and go with whatever reddit says. At least provide an alternative instead of just whinging and crying about it. It's perfectly fine to dislike something, but this thread is a train wreck of copied opinions. Dexter is comparable to GOT? Not even close, they are not even remotely similar.

People are not able to see past the opinions which they are told to have on reddit, facebook, twitter etc.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Why do you think I came?

Zch2AWw.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Honestly I thought Jaime's run was the only thing Benioff and Weiss managed to stay nail while being dedicated to remaining character-true against expectations. It's probably the main reason I'm sort of hesitantly OK with the final two episodes.

SaKZMzl.jpg

Watch you don't dislocate your shoulder :D

Advertisement