Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 6 "The Iron Throne" - Spoilers post 2 forw

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The meeting to elect Bran as King is just moronic and makes a mockery of the entire series. 8 seasons of the game of thrones with political manoeuvring, scheming and bloodshed from all the protagonists fighting for the throne. And then in 5 minutes they decide the creepy lad in the wheelchair with the "best story" should be king, just like that. Just silly really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Mokuba wrote: »
    One final thing that is really bugging me - why didn't Dany and Jon just get married. Why wouldn't either of them suggest that, or Tyrion after he learns the truth and still supports Dany? Tyrion was literally in a marriage of convenience! If he or Varys were still smart they would (Well I know why, it solves literally everything). Varys even mentions that Jon wouldn't be able to be with her because he wasn't comfortable with incest - Varys knows of tons of cases where two married people don't have sex?
    Tyrion and Varys discussed it and they came to the same conclusion Jon did - it's completely icky to have sex with your Aunt. You could see that after Jon found out his real heritage, he was still in love with and attracted to Dany but he was just repulsed by the thought of having sex with his Aunt. Targaryens have being marrying brother and sister for years but like Varys said, Jon was raised in the North where that's a no no. Even if Jon could bring himself to do it, it would never have been accepted by the people.

The inbreeding is what lead to the Targaryen madness. The saying goes that when a Targaryen is born, it's the toss of a coin if their sane. GRRM took a lot of inspiration from real life for his books and in ancient Egypt they used to wed brother and sister which lead to a whole host of genetic problems. There was also the case of the mad King George who had blue blood because of genetics. In Westeros they had to deal with Joffrey who was a result of brother and sister.

I have a lot of gripes with this season but Jon deciding it's not a good idea to marry/have a sexual relationship with his Aunt, is not one of them. No good ever comes from inbreeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I liked this episode bizarrely for me it worked for what we had.

As someone who generally disliked this season immensely, I have to agree, this was the best possible outcome given what we'd been offered previously.

As an ending to GOT, in respect of the entire franchise, and keeping in mind everything that was so carefully crafted in S1-6? 2/10.

As an ending given what we'd been offered in S8 thus far? 6/10.

Was expecting Dexter/Lost level catastrophic bad.

Not getting that is hardly a ringing endorsement but I genuinely thought it could've been a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

lawred2 wrote: »
    When you think of scenes like the red wedding, hardhome or the mountain and the viper versus that childish stuff, it's like two different shows entirely.

Just watching Thronecast for the second time only, and they did a montage of the dead characters. It brought back such great memories of Ed, Joffrey, Tywin, Olenna, Ramsey, Margery (swoon) and reminded me of how fantastic it had been at times.

The characters, the shocks, the humour, it was all amazing. It ground to a halt in the end but I hope I don't forget the good times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

no.8 wrote: »
    Some amount of moans on here. It wasn't perfect but honestly what did you record expect... Everyone dead?

I felt the first third was rather strong, weaker middle but fitting ending for the Stark characters (specifically Jon).

Like the social media witch-hunts if today, its cool to criticize all that is GoT atm

You can't be serious? Look at what the show gave in its first 5 seasons? Even season 6 and 7 were streets ahead of this cheesy full of holes rushed rubbish?

There's always a small few that think they're cooler again by fooling themselves to believe it was ok.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The meeting to elect Bran as King is just moronic and makes a mockery of the entire series. 8 seasons of the game of thrones with political manoeuvring, scheming and bloodshed from all the protagonists fighting for the throne. And then in 5 minutes they decide the creepy lad in the wheelchair with the "best story" should be king, just like that. Just silly really.
    OMG you just don't understand this was subverting our expectations!

I don't have a problem with Bran being the start of democracy, which in a way is what Dany wanted to do by breaking the wheel but it was done in such a silly way. All the Lords and Ladies are present and someone who is a prisoner brokers peace? :rolleyes: Tyrion has always had a way with words but this was just ridiculous in how easy he swayed them. Yara goes from one minute saying she follows Dany who offered her independence, to agreeing to a Stark she doesn't know ruling over her?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Although it wasn't meant to be funny I'd to pause while laughing after Arya said to Jon

"I know a killer when I see one"

Just as well she pointed it out because Dany had been quare sneaky in her murderous ways

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Paddy Cow wrote:
    I have a lot of gripes with this season but Jon deciding it's not a good idea to marry/have a sexual relationship with his Aunt, is not one of them. No good ever comes from inbreeding.

To be fair tho if I had an aunt that looked as good ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜....well nuf said

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭garyscargo

In summary:
    Imperial storm troopers. Darth Dany. Et tu Brute/Jon Snow? Dail in session. Dail still in session. Dail still in f***ing session. Let the lad in the wheelchair be king/MEP then as it would be rude not to. Whoa, stop giving away kingdoms so quickly, bud!  More Dail stuff, discussing the usual fare: money, building contracts and hookers. And send the guy who should be sitting in your spot to the Wall/Europe for good measure to keep him well out of the way (ya sly who-farted?-faced little hoor ya!). Big sister can play queen somewhere once she stays well out of my way/room too. And ninja sister can go...err......west? Yes, waaaaay west as...yeah, we have no idea either.

Meh, unfortunately :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Warp speed ravens
    My Favorite line today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

garyscargo wrote:
    In summary: Imperial storm troopers. Darth Dany. Et tu Brute/Jon Snow? Dail in session. Dail still in session. Dail still in f***ing session. Let the lad in the wheelchair be king/MEP then as it would be rude not to. Whoa, stop giving away kingdoms so quickly, bud! More Dail stuff, discussing the usual fare: money, building contracts and hookers. And send the guy who should be sitting in your spot to the Wall/Europe for good measure to keep him well out of the way (ya sly who-farted?-faced little hoor ya!). Big sister can play queen somewhere once she stays well out of my way/room too. And ninja sister can go...err......west? Yes, waaaaay west as...yeah, we have no idea either.

garyscargo wrote:
    In summary: Imperial storm troopers. Darth Dany. Et tu Brute/Jon Snow? Dail in session. Dail still in session. Dail still in f***ing session. Let the lad in the wheelchair be king/MEP then as it would be rude not to. Whoa, stop giving away kingdoms so quickly, bud! More Dail stuff, discussing the usual fare: money, building contracts and hookers. And send the guy who should be sitting in your spot to the Wall/Europe for good measure to keep him well out of the way (ya sly who-farted?-faced little hoor ya!). Big sister can play queen somewhere once she stays well out of my way/room too. And ninja sister can go...err......west? Yes, waaaaay west as...yeah, we have no idea either.

Sooo like Irish politics!! Not even funny as how similar it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Man, that dragon sure did have a great sense of poetic symbolism. "Argh, I'm so angry imma gonna burn this throne what everyone was fighting over."

Absolute horsesh1t of an episode and a series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Some amount of moans on here. It wasn't perfect but honestly what did you record expect... Everyone dead?

I felt the first third was rather strong, weaker middle but fitting ending for the Stark characters (specifically Jon).

Like the social media witch-hunts if today, its cool to criticize all that is GoT atm

I can put up with bad writing and hammy acting, but I draw the line when the story is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

More or less?

Dany ruling Westeros with an iron fist due to her huge army and nuke, Drogon, would've felt more grounded in the GoT reality we're used to than the A Whole New World ending we got. The first 40 minutes did a wonderful job of setting that tone but as soon Dany died it all became a bit Disney.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I've just finished watching. I'm actually fairly satisfied with the outcome but the manner of choosing Bran was just daft. The dialogue in this episode was just appalling! " There must be a better way!"

And who knew that dragons had opposable thumbs and the buildings of Kings Landing could regenerate?

Delighted to see Jon reunited with a battle worn Ghost and heading beyond the Wall with The Ginger Nut to, I presume, live a free life with the Wildlings.

The whole thing was just too rushed. There was a half a season shoe-horned into that episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

That was ****ing appalling. The writers should have their arms cut off. In 60 minutes they completely ruined an entire show. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

My thoughts on the episode :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Normally, after years of emotional investment and when that TV show finishes, I feel an emptiness for a while. Almost a sadness. Not this time. Just not how I expected it to be presented.

Can't fault the filmimg crew etc. though. they've done amazing work. Some of the best visuals I've ever seen. If only they had a better story to bring to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Agree, the writers were the only ones to shít the bed.

Well, maybe the editors and continuity people as well this season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Lor11

Have had a few hours to stew and am So conflicted with this finale.
    We all knew it was ending and all major characters have an ending but I can't help feel deflated.
    I feel they missed a trick with Bran. I think the writers missed the point of the three eyed raven, A truly mystical character capable of anything!
    Yet no development of this since he left the wall, only to deny any titles bestowed on him now he's king of the 6 kingdoms? I really thought the ware tree he kept staring at would have some relevance in the story.
    Daenerys had to go, it was getting very third Reich . Drogan destroying the iron throne instead of jon was brilliant as that was what truly killed her. I still can't understand how Jon survived the unsullied and dorthoki after he was captured, surely they would just killed him not wait for the great lords and ladies to decide.
    Bran's "punishment" to Jon was a reward, there's no nights watch, Jon is free to live the life he always wanted. I thought when Jon didn't say goodbye to ghost was him not wanting to say goodbye to the North/Stark in himself so I was glad he got back there.

There is plenty issues that have already being pointed by other posters, like thormund and the wildlings being still at the wall. But for me the episode lacked the fantasy element, the magic was gone ..faceless men, lord of light, the prince that was promised.. what happened to all that??

It was grand. My expectations were on the ground so it's hard to be disappointed. I'm glad it's over. That episode felt far too long.

The Three-Eyed Raven is what, souls? and memories, created by the Children of the Forest, who hated man. Hated man so much they created the Night King. If Bran remembers all, I'm sure he has spent plenty of time seeing by whom he was created.

I can only enjoy this episode at all if I believe that the 3ER let all of this play out in the only timeline where he could take power. That includes Dany burning KL etc.

If GRRM intends to have Bran on the throne, I guess the book will flesh that out more. Bran is a way bigger character in the books.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

As some recall, I decided to hold out after E4 and watch E5 and E6 together. Well, I managed to stay clear of spoilers and have just watched both. I have to say I'm very satisfied. I expected a slow E5 to roll into an all action E6, but as it turns out it was the other way around. Either way I enjoyed the watch all coming together, the risk was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,062 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Why could it not have ended with a very dramatic confrontation between D and J, himself killing her and that was the end of it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

unkel wrote: »
    Why could it not have ended with a very dramatic confrontation between D and J, himself killing her and that was the end of it?

For closure on what happens next.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Earleybird wrote: »
    That was ****ing appalling. The writers should have their arms cut off. In 60 minutes they completely ruined an entire show. Shocking.

Lol...

"Completely ruined"

Internet outrage never gets old.

The writing was ok, it was a decent ending but I agree with a lot of people on here that are saying that this episode was very rushed. The whole 6 episodes felt rushed but especially this one. Overall though, decent season, decent ending.

I don't know what people expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Mousewar wrote: »
    Man, that dragon sure did have a great sense of poetic symbolism. "Argh, I'm so angry imma gonna burn this throne what everyone was fighting over."

Absolute horsesh1t of an episode and a series.

How unrealistic.

A dragon would never do that in real life.

delly wrote: »
    As some recall, I decided to hold out after E4 and watch E5 and E6 together. Well, I managed to stay clear of spoilers and have just watched both. I have to say I'm very satisfied. I expected a slow E5 to roll into an all action E6, but as it turns out it was the other way around. Either way I enjoyed the watch all coming together, the risk was worth it.
    I remember you posting that and people praying to the spoiler Gods that it wasn't ruined for you lol.

I was one of those who was up in arms about ep 4 but made peace with the new pace and direction of the show and I really enjoyed the final episode. It was a bit Disney-esq in how it tied up loose ends after Dany died about but it was always where the characters should've ended up. I'm happy with the ending and I don't think the Oracle GRRM will do any better, if he actually gets his arse in gear and writes any on the remaining books.

• Advertisement

munster87 wrote: »
    ‘I know a killer when I see one’
    Really, you spotted it after she killed almost the entire city!?

Yeah, that kind of foresight has to make Arya the Four-Eyed Raven or something. That was bad alright, but it wasn't even the worst line of that exchange between Arya and Jon for me. The first thing she said to him was a dirty lie...

Jon: "What are you doing here?"

Arya: "I came to kill Cersei, but your Queen beat me to it."

Eh no, that's not what happened at all. Arya could have proceeded with The Hound and met Cersei on those steps along with The Mountain, reaching Cersei before Dany, but Arya had an epiphany or something and abandoned her quest to kill Cersei.

So, why did she say that to Jon? If I was still in the mood for analysing themes and arcs in the show, I might suggest that's a call back to the very first episode of the show where Arya is trying to impress her big brother Jon in the Winterfell courtyard. Now in KL's courtyard in the finale, she is attempting the same and is too proud to admit to Jon that she got scared or had a change of heart about killing Cersei.

However, I feel that's giving the show too much credit. "I came to kill Cersei but your queen beat me to it"...Arya said that because it's all the scene required to move the action on towards Jon/Dany's climax. 'Damn...Jon will be surprised to see Arya in KL, we need something brief and edgy to enlighten Jon on a decision Arya made 2 episodes ago without taking much time out of this episode. We need this scene to hype Jon v Dany and her Stormtroopers' UnSullied, rather than Jon and Arya have a discussion which a brother and sister would actually have while reuniting in the aftermath of Westeros' worst massacre.'

There's nothing from Arya to follow the change she apparently had in the last episode, abandoning her list, nothing about all the killing she had seen over the years, all the killing she had done, nothing about her wiping out the 8,000 year old threat of the Whitewalkers. Nothing about her not wanting to end up bitter and vengeful for the rest of her life just like the parting scene with The Hound implied, no conclusion from that or the PTSD she was clearly suffering in the last episode's events which happened just 5 minutes ago in the show's timeline. Nope, Arya don't play like that anymore, she's a stone-cold killing machine (except when we need to get her out of a suicide mission with The Hound, then she's a scared girl for 10 minutes) and all she does now is say cool, direct shít like "You talk about killing my brother again and I'll slit your throat"..."What's west of Westeros?...Exactly!"..."I know a killer when I see one."

She finishes the series as a cross between Christopher Columbus and that mate who's 'sick of dis shíthole and de gubbermint' and fúcks off to Australia for a year. Disappointing.

Advertisement