Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 6 "The Iron Throne" - Spoilers post 2 forw

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

How unrealistic.

A dragon would never do that in real life.

In the first season, it was mentioned that the breath of the greatest dragon forged the throne and in the last episode, this one destroyed it.

tony1980 wrote: »
    In the first season, it was mentioned that the breath of the greatest dragon forged the throne and in the last episode, this one destroyed it.

Foreshadowing!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Was there any explanation as to why/where Bran warged to when the Night King was in front of him?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Was there any explanation as to why/where Bran warged to when the Night King was in front of him?

I’m pretty sure he didn’t warg at all in that moment? He did look down at the night kings stomach apparently. Where Arya stuck him shortly after

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

walshb wrote: »
    Is it just me or is this Kit Harrington lad one desperately bland actor?

Tbf the actors of a few other prominent characters on the show can't act either & the ones that can have been killed off or in recent seasons tended to phone it in like they are doing Hamlet one time too many.

I just thought of another thing had it been Rhaegal & not Drogon who spared Jon for killing Danaerys it would have made a teeny bit more sense aa they had a prior relationship. But a dragon empathising with Jon to the point of destroying the iron throne that his mother figure desired to the point of committing mass genocide of an entire city - by dragon fire I might add makes about as much sense as the rest of the season.
    I'm not going to think about this season anymore when I do I just think of things that made no sense. The first few episodes of this season were utterly meaningless & then everything got messy fast and rushed over at the end like doing a college assignment in the last 48 hours. They got an extra year to produce this season, you'd be forgiven for thinking it was half the time & not twice the time

• Advertisement

I’m pretty sure he didn’t warg at all in that moment? He did look down at the night kings stomach apparently. Where Arya stuck him shortly after

He warged at some point in the forest though, that's what I mean. Maybe not the exact moment the NK stood in front of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Lucky Tyrion and Bran had that offscreen and seemingly inconsequential and forgotten talk before the Battle of Winterfell.

He warged at some point in the forest though, that's what I mean. Maybe not the exact moment the NK stood in front of him.

Oh yeah. He wargs when Theon is protecting him.
    It cuts to the ravens then.
    I’ve read it’s to taunt the night king and draw him in. It’s part of their plan to get him to the godswood. NK can sense him when he’s warging I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Oh yeah. He wargs when Theon is protecting him.
    It cuts to the ravens then.
    I’ve read it’s to taunt the night king and draw him in. It’s part of their plan to get him to the godswood. NK can sense him when he’s warging I believe.

Which was all part of three eyed ravens plan to end up on the Iron Throne.

This plan also involved having knowledge of an upcoming genocide and doing nothing and allowing the slaughter of many many people along the way

All so three eyed Bran could sit on the Throne, destroy mankind and usher in a new era dominated by the children of the forest.

Chaos is a Ladder

That’s a reach
    I don’t think Bran is able to see the future. And I don’t think it’s all a cunning plan for him to get the throne.
    That’s kind of silly.

*chaos is a wheelchair accessible ramp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Now the dust has settled on my watching, I'm satisfied. I do think all the right notes were played, although I think they might have been played too fast and maybe in the wrong order.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Lor11

So Bran was made King because he is the ultimate story teller, who knows all, yet Grand Maester whatever his name is and Sam write the complete history of events after King Roberts death?? Made no sense.
    Also how the hell did Davos and the North men make it out of KL alive after Jon killed Dany?

That’s a reach
    I don’t think Bran is able to see the future. And I don’t think it’s all a cunning plan for him to get the throne.
    That’s kind of silly.

*chaos is a wheelchair accessible ramp

Of course it is

Just like a lad who has done nothing but sit down for years becomes king.

Or a guy who has failed at almost everything becoming grand maester

Or a hand who has utterly failed at bring a hand multiple times getting another chance

Or all the other lords not asking for independence

To be honest a shot of Bran with the NK eyes would have turned this episode around for me! Classic B Movie Hollywood

I'd also fiercely, fiercely debate Tyrion's "who has a better story than Bran?" argument.

I'd also fiercely, fiercely debate Tyrion's "who has a better story than Bran?" argument.
    Everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I guess the pictures of Kit Harrington crying at the end of the final read through make sense now. He knew how badly they'd ****ed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

It's a shame they didnt show the scene where drogon gently carried off Dany's body and brought it to Greyworm and told them what Jon did ..... or was it a case of Jon telling Greyworm and then Greyworn scolding Jon for being bold and locking him up to reflect on his actions?

All in all, pitiful stuff.

Will we get an 8 season spin off of Arya, aka 'Dora the explora' , spinning off around the globe getting up to all kinds of skullduggery ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I thought it was pretty excellent up until Drogon melted the throne, ad the shot of him spreading his winds behind Dany was fantastic, but every subsequent scene after that was absolutely AWFUL.*

*Apart from Jon petting Ghost, cause he's a good boi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭SteM

osarusan wrote: »

The third was just a horrible horrible scene. The small council meeting, the bit after Bran leaves and the desperately bad banter commences, with good-natured squabbles over spending and Tyrion reminiscing about how he once brought a donkey and a honeycomb to a brothel. That one line suggests that rather than making an earnest effort to do things right and redeem himself, Tyrion is going to revert to his previous self as a glib purveyor of witty stories. I cannot imagine how the writers thought their audience would want to see that scene.

I might be wrong but that is at least the 3rd time that he's tried to tell that joke during the series. He never gets to tell the punchline (or we never get to hear it), so I guess that's just a callback to previous episodes that the writers put in there. Not a big deal imo, plenty of other things bugged me more than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Lor11 wrote: »
    So Bran was made King because he is the ultimate story teller, who knows all, yet Grand Maester whatever his name is and Sam write the complete history of events after King Roberts death?? Made no sense.
    Also how the hell did Davos and the North men make it out of KL alive after Jon killed Dany?

The Unsullied and the Dothraki kind of forgot about Davos and the Northern Army. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i actually thought it was a good episode until after jon killed Dany then it became a **** show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

PhuckHugh wrote: »

Will we get an 8 season spin off of Arya, aka 'Dora the explora' , spinning off around the globe getting up to all kinds of skullduggery ?

Reminds me of this...

d36.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 54,971 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I honestly think I could give as good an acting performance as any of these numpties in this show...

Snow, Sansa, Arya, Davos, Blondie particularly Sh1t...

Only Varys for me stood out as quality...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

RickBlaine wrote: »
    A few thoughts:

- I liked that Tyrion had a major role to play. Probably the most meaningful stuff he has had since the end of season 4. As usual, Dinklage is fantastic. Tyrion ended up in the role that best suited his skill set - I like that.

- I don't understand how Jon could possibly be conflicted about Dany. He witnessed her massacre an entire city ffs.

- I thought Dany's death was too rushed and cliched. Surprise stab by her lover in an embrace. We've seen that before. I wish her downfall was a little more complex than a sudden stab.

- I don't really mind the scenes after Dany's death, although Greyworm suddenly becoming the de facto leader of King's Landing was very rushed and a bit jarring, even if he was made head of Dany's armies.

- I also don't really mind Bran becoming ruler. But I think it would have been a bit more palatable if some of the lords required more persuading. Also, it would have been better if Bran was still Bran and not ThreeEyedRavan.exe upgraded with a King mod.

- Maybe I'm a romantic, but I would have liked to have seen Gendry joining Arya on the deck of her ship.

- The episode had some great shots, notably Dany with Drogon's wings behind her, and a sleeping Drogon awakening underneath the ash.

- Overall, not the ideal finale to the whole show but probably the best way season 8 could have ended given the 5 episodes that proceeded it.

Summmarizes word for word exactly how I felt abut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭fits

We set up a projector and watched the final two episodes last night. The cinematography was unreal. Im happy enough with how it ended. The only thing that bugs me is Jaime's end really. Dany was always headed in this direction looking back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Honestly I thought Jaime's run was the only thing Benioff and Weiss managed to stay nail while being dedicated to remaining character-true against expectations. It's probably the main reason I'm sort of hesitantly OK with the final two episodes.
    At this point I'd almost hedge bets on Brienne survive, if only to keep the memory of the righteous Kingslayer alive against what the history books will record.

SaKZMzl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Lor11 wrote: »

Bran's "punishment" to Jon was a reward, there's no nights watch, Jon is free to live the life he always wanted. I thought when Jon didn't say goodbye to ghost was him not wanting to say goodbye to the North/Stark in himself so I was glad he got back there.

So many people going 'OMG Jon got so shafted getting sent to the nights watch!!!11one!eleven!'

FFS, they pulled a con job on the Unsullied to get them to fcuk off back home without causing a fuss and Jon got to be live free and happy with his doggo beyond the wall. Sure we know he's got a kink for wildling wimmin'

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

This, apart from the painful council scene, and the characteristically season 8ish handling of the response to Jon's murder of Dany, was actually a much better episode than I was expecting. I found myself thinking a lot of the resolutions would have been great if they hadn't completely screwed up the delivery of the entire season before it.

Bran and Tyrion ruling strikes me as being very Martin, and seeing Dany as the villain would have been amazing if they had done the transformation properly. Assuming the outcomes are broadly in line with what GRRM laid out, I found myself thinking what brilliant vision for character arcs he has. It's just a shame the show butchered the execution so badly in the end.

Anyway, it's over now. Pity it went out the way it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ERG89 wrote: »
    Tbf the actors of a few other prominent characters on the show can't act either & the ones that can have been killed off or in recent seasons tended to phone it in like they are doing Hamlet one time too many.

I just thought of another thing had it been Rhaegal & not Drogon who spared Jon for killing Danaerys it would have made a teeny bit more sense aa they had a prior relationship. But a dragon empathising with Jon to the point of destroying the iron throne that his mother figure desired to the point of committing mass genocide of an entire city - by dragon fire I might add makes about as much sense as the rest of the season.
    I'm not going to think about this season anymore when I do I just think of things that made no sense. The first few episodes of this season were utterly meaningless & then everything got messy fast and rushed over at the end like doing a college assignment in the last 48 hours. They got an extra year to produce this season, you'd be forgiven for thinking it was half the time & not twice the time

The Drogon melting the throne bit was explained in a previous season.
    In the second episode of Season 6, Tyrion said that: "Dragons are intelligent, more intelligent than men according to some Maesters. They have affection for their friends and fury for their enemies."
    The throne and Dany's obsession with it ultimately led to her death,kinda fitting that Drogon melted it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Of course Drogon didn't burn Jon, he's his first cousin!

Advertisement