Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 6 "The Iron Throne" - Spoilers post 2 forw

Options

Comments

I guess you were worried about your reaction being hip enough? You, like so many others, had already written the last episode off before it even aired. Looking for plot holes and inconsistencies to be angry about. I couldn't imagine wasting my time on anything with that kind of attitude. Why bother?

People saying they can't make sense of X Y or Z, lack imagination... severely.

You are complaining about people complaining about the show you are not even discussing the actual show, you are also not engaging with anyone directly in conversation just making wide blanket statements and putting everyone who had a problem with the show under that umbrella.

Its quite ignorant to put it mildly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Drogon had the intelligence to melt the Throne in the finale,

I assumed he was just venting his anguish and the throne happened to be in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the Night's Watch still exists because within a generation or two, any affinity the wildlings had for Jon & the Night's Watch and people south of the wall will be gone, and they'll be back to fighting each other, the Night's Watch, and sending raiding parties over the wall to attack Northern villages. It wouldn't take much for some of them to point out how many Wildlings died fighting in Jon's battles and they should have been given more etc. They'll be back to their pre-Season 1 wildling ways in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,017 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Actors were on x per episode so instead of 10 40 minute episodes we git the same 400 minutes over 6 episodes saving a huge amount. HBO will have sold it and its ad revenue for the same amount.

What adds? HBO is a proper paid subscription unlike Sky where it does not have adverts during the program. Sky here added the breaks into GOT if you watched it at 2am

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Might be a bit of a reach...but check out who's on the Iron Throne with Ned in the season one poster
    337?cb=20110406150536

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,707 ✭✭✭✭walshb

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Plus sequel with Arya? Bran as King.. Er I guess! :rolleyes:

Please, pleases, please god......no!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

meeeeh wrote: »
    This is just daft. It's just entertainment, I'm starting to think too many people have unhealthy obsession with the show.
    bigslice wrote: »
    This. Some utter utter drivel been written about the last season and genuinely think that no matter the ending it would have been the same. Some people just wanted to have a moan and value their own opinion too much.

Mightn’t have been perfect in places, rushed elsewhere but some would have it up there with Fair City!

I'm starting to think some people are incapable of basic critical thinking.
    Or else they're just stuck in fanboi land and take every criticism as something personal.
    If somebody enjoyed the last season, great, good luck to them glad they enjoyed it.

But there's nothing wrong with pointing out the massive failures, lack of internal consistency, and general poor writing that's been prevalent.
    There's a lot of people who are not capable of formulating their own opinions and go with whatever reddit says. At least provide an alternative instead of just whinging and crying about it. It's perfectly fine to dislike something, but this thread is a train wreck of copied opinions. Dexter is comparable to GOT? Not even close, they are not even remotely similar.

People are not able to see past the opinions which they are told to have on reddit, facebook, twitter etc.

I avoided reddit, FB, twitter etc before expressing my own opinion: which is that this season has been a total train wreck.

And as for Dexter, sure it literally ended the same way.
    Dany's body carried off into a storm, and Jon heading off to be a lumberjack. Only difference is Dany is the killer

The finale was actually hilarious. Some great visuals, would have made a superb rock video. But all style, no substance. At least it had some genuine laugh out loud moments, unfortunately not intentionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I must be the only one to take it that the Nightswatch doesn't still exist and it was just a ploy to get him out of Kings Landing alive, and he goes to live happily ever after north of the wall. iirc he was the only crow there...

fwiw I don't think the ending was that bad - the damage has been the rush job rather than the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Yermande

Game of Thrones has been an enjoyable romp and I tip my hat to everyone that made it happen. I remember the bad old days of medieval fantasy on Sky One on Saturday afternoons. We've come a long way since then. Even when it faltered, as it frequently did, it was compelling viewing, particularly for genre nerds like myself.

However the writing and performances dropped through the the floor in recent years. Last night's episode was so poorly written and paced it's actually quite hard to accept. The writers and producers just wanted to get it wrapped up. That's quite obvious. It's a shame it ran out of steam but eight seasons is still a good run.

I know I'm comparing apples and oranges here, but it's not a patch on the likes of The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad and Mad Men. Well written characters portrayed by top quality actors is the common denominator there. Game of Thrones didn't have enough of either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭facehugger99

On the upside, I had a big bowl of All Bran to celebrate last night and have been as regular as clockwork today.

• Advertisement

My brother has finally caved and said he's gonna watch the entire series because he likes Sean Bean. Good luck with that bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Still shaking my head over Bronn as Master of Coin today.

How could an illiterate soldier with no experience or, prior to his final scene, interest in governance deal with the Iron Bank? And the Crown would have a lot of work to do with the IB after years of warfare and devastation.

Why would Bronn, who by his own admission wanted a quiet life at this stage, accept probably the most stressful Small Council position? He already had more gold than he could spend in a lifetime with his acquisition of Highgarden and overlordship of the Reach.

Tyrion knows better than anyone that he is an extremely greedy, amoral and unserious individual, so why would he be insane enough to trust him with the country’s finances at that crucial time?

It’s a minor plot point but such a lazy, contrived, silly ending for a fan favorite that it bugs me.

DeadHand wrote: »

How could an illiterate soldier with no experience or, prior to his final scene, interest in governance deal with the Iron Bank? And the Crown would have a lot of work to do with the IB after years of warfare and devastation.

Why would Bronn, who by his own admission wanted a quiet life at this stage, accept probably the most stressful Small Council position? He already had more gold than he could spend in a lifetime with his acquisition of Highgarden and overlordship of the Reach.

Tyrion knows better than anyone that he is an extremely greedy, amoral and unserious individual, so why would he be insane enough to trust him with the country’s finances at that crucial time?

It’s a minor plot point but such a lazy, contrived, silly ending for a fan favorite that it bugs me.

It's really quite simple. Bronn was made Master of Coin because the writers wanted to place him in one final goodbye scene and that's the best they could come up with.

If anything I would have thought Bronn would be more suited to Master of War given his expertise in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Yermande wrote: »
    My brother has finally caved and said he's gonna watch the entire series because he likes Sean Bean. Good luck with that bro.

When he gets to the end of the first series, he's going to lose his head!

DeadHand wrote: »

We could also ask why Bronn was given Highgarden at all? He extracted a promise from Tyrion, under heavy duress, and now Brann is going to honour it? Why?

Then again Tyrion is clearly an influential figure. Despite being a failed Hand to three different monarchs he still has enough authority to successfully argue that the entire system of rule be radically and fundamentally changed forevermore, and nobody even raised their hand to ask a question.

I'm actually going to stop writing. I've already given this piece of glorious nonsense too much of my time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Well I dunno about this.

BREAKING: Game of Thrones TV show lore-master & writer Bryan Cogman now leading Amazon’s LOTR series.

He is known as the “third head” alongside Benioff & Weiss whose job was to maintain book fidelity across the GoT TV series. He is also responsible for “Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken” an episode that broke many fans with a storyline not in the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I know I'm comparing apples and oranges here, but it's not a patch on the likes of The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad and Mad Men. Well written characters portrayed by top quality actors is the common denominator there. Game of Thrones didn't have enough of either.

Did you watch the last season of The Wire? It's my favourite tv show but you last season was dire. So were last two or so seasons if Mad Men.

As for actors, most who are criticised were selected as kids or just out of drama school. It's a lot harder to know what they are like than someone with years of experience behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

lawlolawl wrote: »
    But they already lived North of the Wall so they are well used to winter, that's literally where it comes from.

They took a break that was conviently long enough for Jon to leave Winterfell, assist in taking Kings Landing, commit treason,be imprisoned for weeks (months?) for treason, be partially exonerated and banished and finally make his way to castle black just in time?

Nonsense. It's just more of the "this thing has to happen despite being utterly ridiculous" thinking that the hacks writing this garbage have been doing all season.

Children mashing their action figures together.

"Wouldn't it be cool if........?!?" is a terrible way of writing a TV show or movie.

On horseback in good weather it is supposed to take at least 3 weeks to get from Winterfell to The Wall, while the wildlings are making the trip during deep winter, had few if any horses, have many children in their group that would be even slower and requiring more rest and shelter, are carrying many supplies to survive the trip slowing them even further, and are in absolutely no rush to get to The Wall.

Look there are plenty of flaws in this season, but all this pedantic crap is crazy. If you put the show from season 1 onwards under the same sort of microscope, you’d find most episodes riddled with the exact same sort of ‘utterly ridiculous’ pedantic lists of issues that people are wasting their time putting together now to justify their feelings. Once people start to dislike a show, they appear to have lose all imagination and ability to suspend disbelief. Rather than going along with the story they go out of their way to try to turn everything into a plot hole or bad writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭DeadHand

It's really quite simple. Bronn was made Master of Coin because the writers wanted to place him in one final goodbye scene and that's the best they could come up with.

Of course, I agree.

It’s just shameful that they didn’t care enough to give it a little thought and make him Master of War or some such so they could have shoehorned into the final scene in a more logical way.

• Advertisement

Did you watch the last season of The Wire? It's my favourite tv show but you last season was dire. So were last two or so seasons if Mad Men.

As for actors, most who are criticised were selected as kids or just out of drama school. It's a lot harder to know what they are like than someone with years of experience behind them.

I knew this to not be true but had to double check anyway. There's no dip in the reviews on imdb. Its consistent throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

We could also ask why Bronn was given Highgarden at all? He extracted a promise from Tyrion, under heavy duress, and now Brann is going to honour it? Why?

Because a Lannister always pays his debts and as he is the hand of the king, he can make the payment happen.
    Then again Tyrion is clearly an influential figure. Despite being a failed Hand to three different monarchs he still has enough authority to successfully argue that the entire system of rule be radically and fundamentally changed forevermore, and nobody even raised their hand to ask a question.

Being a Hand three times over makes him pretty successful I would say. He is also wise and an eloquent speaker, is held in high regard to those he was speaking to etc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

McNulty inventing a serial killer is up there in stupidity with bringing a wight back from beyond the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Did you watch the last season of The Wire? It's my favourite tv show but you last season was dire.
    again because HBO wouldn't give them a full seasons shows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

the last season of The Wire was far from dire, it just wasn't as good as the previous seasons. It had a bit of a silly main plot-line but generally closed out most of the strands and character arcs from throughout the series really well. GoT on the other hand was an enormous drop-off in writing quality, with endless plot holes, and they butchered most of the show's primary characters. It's almost incomparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

again because HBO wouldn't give them a full seasons shows

No extra time would improve serial killer/newspaper storyline.

Anytime I think back on The Wire it's always with a little asterisk in mind because of how poorly realised the serial killer device was in season 5. And yet like you it's still one of my favourite shows of all time because, on the whole, the writing and performances are on a different level. I'm not saying it's perfect. I watched it again last year and certain aspects have dated and there are a number of dud performances, but only in small roles thankfully.

As for Mad Men's final two seasons being 'dire'. Well, different stokes I guess. Personally, I think Don's gradual 'change', culminating in that final, deeply ambiguous (and I think cynical) smile is one of the all time great TV character arcs and it required those final seasons to make it pay off. It wouldn't have worked coming off the back of season 5. Whatever it is, it's earned.

With regard to GoT's kid actors. I'm not criticising the show for something the producers couldn't have prevented. They picked plenty of young talent at the time but not all of them came through by the end. That's just how it goes. The same goes for AJ in The Sopranos. He was out of his depth by the end. I personally don't think it's a 'failure' of a show however it's hard to completely ignore it when looking back and forming your final thoughts on what you've just watched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Foxtrol wrote: »
    On horseback in good weather it is supposed to take at least 3 weeks to get from Winterfell to The Wall, while the wildlings are making the trip during deep winter, had few if any horses, have many children in their group that would be even slower and requiring more rest and shelter, are carrying many supplies to survive the trip slowing them even further, and are in absolutely no rush to get to The Wall.

Travel time ceased to matter a few seasons ago when the writers just wanted the characters to teleport around the map having "cool" interactions with each other.

This was another prime example of this. There was no logic behind the Wildings still being there waiting for Jon at Castle Black.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Because a Lannister always pays his debts and as he is the hand of the king, he can make the payment happen.

So the All-Knowing Brann, who must surely realise the calibre and character of Bronn the Sellsword, must now let him sit on his King's Council because a Lannister always pays his debts?

There's not a doubt in my mind that that's exactly how the writers explained it to themselves.

• Advertisement

lawlolawl wrote: »
    This was another prime example of this. There was no logic behind the Wildings still being there waiting for Jon at Castle Black.

When Thormund was saying goodbye to Jon at Winterfell, he said they were going to wait at Castle Black for some storms or something to pass before going North of the Wall. Presumably they were just still there when Jon got there, and there was probably still some time between Jon arriving at Castle Black and them heading North of the Wall.

They weren't waiting for Jon, they were just waiting anyway.

Advertisement