Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Stark wrote: »
    It's possible but extremely unsafe.

I still think a tunnel / elevator / train combo is the way to go.

Air conditioned of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

jasper100 wrote: »
    I still think a tunnel / elevator / train combo is the way to go.

Air conditioned of course.

Old fashioned comedy cannon, with confetti for me. Parachute back down with a tiny umbrella.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Notfattypatty

Not sure if this link on his movements has previously been posted..
    https://eur-share.inreach.garmin.com/IrelandOnEverestShay

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Not sure if this link was previously posted..
    https://eur-share.inreach.garmin.com/IrelandOnEverestShay

I didnt know what i was clicking on there, sad to think that tracks his last known movements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I didnt know what i was clicking on there, sad to think that tracks his last known movements

I don't believe it does. It tracks as far as him getting to camp 4 but not setting off and reaching the summit. He never got the chance to end the tracking for that day so the map never updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Notfattypatty

Apologies I posted too quick. Just edited my post now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Or it is a possibility that that is where his body fell to. Very sad regardless. RIP poor man - he seems much loved by many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Or it is a possibility that that is where his body fell to. Very sad regardless. RIP poor man - he seems much loved by many.

It's not possible because the last activity tracked was the 15th of May.
    All the data lines up with the reports except the 16th of May is missing, the day he left camp 4 to head for the summit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Didn't know that Irishman has died up there already.

John Delaney, 42, from Kilcock, Co Kildare, is understood to have collapsed less than 50 metres from reaching the top and realising his ultimate dream. He is the first Irish man to die on the world's highest mountain.

The climber, a managing director of an online market prediction company, died on Saturday but because his team was out of contact with base camp during the final stage of the trek it has only just been confirmed.

Mr Delaney - who also had two young sons, Caspar, three, and two-year-old Alexander - died without knowing his wife Orla, 39, gave birth to a girl last Wednesday. She is to be called Hope.

Didn't know that Irishman has died up there already.

John Delaney, 42, from Kilcock, Co Kildare, is understood to have collapsed less than 50 metres from reaching the top and realising his ultimate dream. He is the first Irish man to die on the world's highest mountain.

The climber, a managing director of an online market prediction company, died on Saturday but because his team was out of contact with base camp during the final stage of the trek it has only just been confirmed.

Mr Delaney - who also had two young sons, Caspar, three, and two-year-old Alexander - died without knowing his wife Orla, 39, gave birth to a girl last Wednesday. She is to be called Hope.

Eh.....what ? John Delaney died on Everest in May 2011 - 8 years ago, Hope his daughter is now 8 years of age!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Western Lowland Gorilla

Eh.....what ? John Delaney died on Everest in May 2011 - 8 years ago, Hope his daughter is now 8 years of age!

Obviously he has copied text from an article at the time. Be better if he had it in italics or quote font however, to make it even more obvious!

Squatter wrote: »
    Before heading off they should contact Simon Coveney to quantify the amount of taxpayers money that he'll be giving to their next of kin should things go tits up.

Please explain your meaning?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,695 ✭✭✭✭josip

While 45 Sherpa lives won't be put at risk in a recovery search, some will be, mainly those who have to carry through the icefall.
    The additional employment is hard to say no to at a local level though, so nobody there will pour water on the fire.

Why are the Irish climbing community allowing this to continue?
    Why did Pat Falvey say in that article,

"...As time passes the more difficult it will be for everyone in the group and for rescuers to locate Mr Lawless"

instead of "to locate Mr Lawless' body' ?

Seamus Lawless is no longer on Everest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

jasper100 wrote: »
    Its a pity they dont call it what t is "a body recovery operation"

In any case its a disgrace to put 45 lives at ris.

Because its just a BIT insensitive to the family of the missing person?

These lads are willing to search for a climber, because they will be paid for it! They are not being forced to go, the Sherpas are paid to go up and down mountains, and for search/recovery missions also.
    Is it similar to Search and rescue going out in storms to find people missing at sea?
    Medics helping wounded on the battlefields? Police officers tacking armed thugs ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Someone's included him as dead on Wikipedia.

Unlikely hes alive, but a bit early no?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_died_climbing_Mount_Everest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Snip

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

tuxy wrote: »
    Apparently Seamus did some of this training in VR, I like the sound of that don't even have to leave my sofa.
    https://extra.ie/2019/05/20/news/irish-news/seamus-lawless-search-resuming

Seamus had extensive history in mountain climbing, he gave a presentation to our group regarding the preparation that he undertook. It seemed exhaustive and not just playing on a vr machine. But if it suits your narrative to believe otherwise, fill your boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

antix80 wrote: »
    <snip>

Cop on that's completely moronic. Grow up

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Some of the posts here are outrageously harsh and lacking any respect.

People don't know anything about the guy or his relationship with his family.

The very reason his wife or family loved him could be because what is inside him to follow his dream.

Living a life less ordinary undoubtedly transferred into many other aspects of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Some of the posts here are outrageously harsh and lacking any respect.

People don't know anything about the guy or his relationship with his family.

The very reason his wife or family loved him could be because what is inside him to follow his dream.

Living a life less ordinary undoubtedly transferred into many other aspects of his life.

His choices have left his child and the one on the way without a father.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

That helicopter video is amazing. I'd there's only a few days in the year that that is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

lazygal wrote: »

What about firemen ?
    Is their choice of job disrepectful to this family? :confused::confused:

Some people on here ! :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

But maybe there would be no children if he didn't live the life he lived

Maybe he would be single
    Suicidal

Love is about respect for the person, pros , cons, the amazing aspects of them

Crazy talk on thread and should be moderated

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Maybe he would be single
    Suicidal

He had a child and his wife is pregnant and he chose to go on a charity holiday with a not insignificant risk of death. That's a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

greenspurs wrote: »
    What about firemen ?

Firemen serve a purpose, a bloody good one.

Going to the top of Everest serves none

Stupid post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

Maybe he would be single
    Suicidal

Should've been from the get go. Too late now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,695 ✭✭✭✭josip

Because its just a BIT insensitive to the family of the missing person?

These lads are willing to search for a climber, because they will be paid for it! They are not being forced to go, the Sherpas are paid to go up and down mountains, and for search/recovery missions also.
    Is it similar to Search and rescue going out in storms to find people missing at sea?
    Medics helping wounded on the battlefields? Police officers tacking armed thugs ?

No it's not similar.
    In nearly all rescue scenarios, once the possibility of a successful rescue is gone, then the risk appetite is considerably diminished.

The problem I have with this search is with the icefall.
    Risk mitigation will be effective on most other parts of the mountain, eg. waiting for a weather window, experienced team, etc.
    But the icefall is a lottery, whether the porters make it through or not.
    Climbers can go early in the morning, but porters continue to carry in the more dangerous parts of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

What about firemen ?

The difference is firemen work to save others. This man took risks for enjoyment. I don't but the charity thing.

He had a child and his wife is pregnant and he chose to go on a charity holiday with a not insignificant risk of death. That's a fact.

Hope you haven't gone for a cycle
    A swim in sea
    Or played any sport

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Hope you haven't gone for a cycle
    A swim in sea
    Or played any sport

Ridiculous comment. Comparing climbing a mountain with a non insignificant chance of dying on with going for a cycle.

Advertisement