Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

I am curious. €750k seems an awful lot to search for a body and transport it home. Why do they need so much?

Hopefully they can find the body for the family to get some closure.
    The 750 figure was a limit placed by go fund me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Interesting that no mention of European Alpine experience which would have been/ be the conventional route in terms of gaining climbing experience - Ireland/ Scotland... Alps... Greater Ranges. I suppose that's just an approach now - skip the Alps and onto the bigger stuff. Of above, Island Peak & Mera are considered 'trekking peaks' AFAIK, but Denali in North America is said to be a serious proposition - high, exposed to bad weather, lot of hauling and long routes on ice & snow. So a lot of experience would have been gained there.

So he had really gone on only one reasonably serious climb before this. Hardly "extensive climbing experience" so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

Thread should be closed I think. Take the oxygen away from those who are clearly enjoying sticking the boot into a dead man and his suffering relatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

tuxy wrote: »
    They needed that much because it was the maximum you can raise on gofundme. If gofundme had a higher cap then they would have needed more.

Fair enough. Still though it seems an excessive amount to ask for to send a search up and transport home. Probably i just dont know the true cost of these things so it seems high to me.

Anyway thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

jasper100 wrote: »
    So he had really gone on only one reasonably serious climb before this. Hardly "extensive climbing experience" so.

He was asked about this in an interview and he explained he didn't think much experience was necessary even if it was recommended. He also said he didn't have enough time to gain the recommened amount of experience

• Advertisement

Fair enough. Still though it seems an excessive amount to ask for to send a search up and transport home. Probably i just dont know the true cost of these things so it seems high to me.

Anyway thanks for the info.

Well these body rescue missions can cost anywhere up to €80,000.

But this being Ireland and to be fair things cost way more. Look at the national childrens hospital and the rural broadband rollout.

Ok ya that sounds a bit more in line with what i would have thought..
    Why do they need 10 times the amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They don't, not for a recovery.

But sure if people are just going to give them money then may as well get as much as they can...

Something tells me somebody is going to do very well out of this accident.

That is the question being asked on here and perhaps the motivation for a lot of the posts on this thread. It is also being asked why RTE ramped this campaign for 750K without asking any questions about what all the money is needed for.

• Advertisement

That is the question being asked on here and perhaps the motivation for a lot of the posts on this thread. It is also being asked why RTE ramped this campaign for 750K without asking any questions about what all the money is needed for.

Ok sorry i just skimmed over a lot of pages.

I hope they find him as i said. But tbh i hope the people who donate get their money back from the change or else it goes to a worthy charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

They don't need that amount, the 750 is a limit place by GoFundMe if you don't put a limit.

Any amount that exceeds the cost in a recovery mission (successful or not) will probably go to the nominated charity. And even if you were to believe the theories proposed here that it will be kept by the wife, these same people are very concerned about the child's future as they are stating how selfish he was to leave them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

He was asked about this in an interview and he explained he didn't think much experience was necessary even if it was recommended.

Mt. Everest : lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Its almost impossible to recover a body from Everest, that's why there's circa 300 of them still up there as their final resting place.

Whoever takes on this mission will do so at great risk of injury or death. People have died climbing it hands free, without the struggle of carrying any equipment or bags.
    This person/people will be trying to manouver down a frozen solid dead body.

I hope it doesn't go ahead, because it will undoubtedly result in more unnecessary deaths.
    But that's probably why the target was set so high, because it would be an extremely expensive recovery operation. You'd want to be insane to do it.

Thread should be closed I think. Take the oxygen away from those who are clearly enjoying sticking the boot into a dead man and his suffering relatives.

It’s not so much about this particular man, may he Rest In Peace, and his relatives, but the whole notion of a person with dependents venturing on an extreme tourism expedition with an extremely high risk of mortality. And of people getting sponsorship to do foolhardy things to raise limited amounts for charity.

It’s not so much about this particular man, may he Rest In Peace, and his relatives, but the whole notion of a person with dependents venturing on an extreme tourism expedition with an extremely high risk of mortality. And of people getting sponsorship to do foolhardy things to raise limited amounts for charity.

Doing it in the name of charity is BS for starters. The whole concept of climbing Everest needs to be rethought.

As I said earlier, maybe its time to ban summit attempts and allow more people to camp 4 and spread the tourism product a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

theballz wrote: »
    I have climbed Everest. The death zone is an unforgiving place, I haven’t been really keeping up on this but I believe he fell. God bless him and his family.

interesting the theballz hasnt been back on to defend his record after being called out

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Notfattypatty

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Interesting that no mention of European Alpine experience which would have been/ be the conventional route in terms of gaining climbing experience - Ireland/ Scotland... Alps... Greater Ranges. I suppose that's just an approach now - skip the Alps and onto the bigger stuff. Of above, Island Peak & Mera are considered 'trekking peaks' AFAIK, but Denali in North America is said to be a serious proposition - high, exposed to bad weather, lot of hauling and long routes on ice & snow. So a lot of experience would have been gained there.

Full training undertaken was mentioned in his interview. I screenshot that specific bit

• Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

As was pointed out many pages back RTE were just reporting the news about this.
    Not editorializing on the funding campaign.

Also RTE have been very quiet on this in recent days.
    Obviously there is no news from the location worth reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

who set up the gofundme page and where will the funds be going to?

• Advertisement

One thing about a parent dying during such an expedition, and whose body is likely to have to be left where they fell, is that the child has no grave to visit other than likely in later life a yearning to follow same route to retrace same dangerous steps of said parent. The mountaineering museum in Pokhara which has memorials to climbers who lost their lives is the nearest safe bet to pay homage to their late parent, along with maybe the helicopter trip to Base Camp plus a morning airplane flight to view the mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭Allinall

Bowlardo wrote: »

If you’re not donating, then it’s none of your business.

Bowlardo wrote: »

Olivia Waters who works in Trinity set it up on behalf of Pamela. [snipped]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭KaneToad

greenspurs wrote: »
    What about firemen ?
    Is their choice of job disrepectful to this family? :confused::confused:

Some people on here ! :rolleyes:

A firefighter is not a dangerous/risky job. No comparison!

That's all fair enough but is this the thread to do it? And some are clearly having a go at this man and his family. There was even a post mocking his death!

I have no time for trolls at all, but if this page can respectfully bring to light this very subject, quite aside from this particular gentleman and his family in particular, then it is a place to start the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The Youtube clip someone posted here from Bryant Gumbel’s show where Sherpas are interviewed really upset me. The widow breaking down over her husband’s death and that poor young lad losing all his fingers because he was saddled with a woefully unprepared client and felt he couldn’t say no.

And the doctor interviewed kind of annoyed me because her hand-wringing about whether climbing Everest was ethical just came across as lip service seeing as she went back three times despite seeing tragedy and death in her first two visits. She still wanted to summit after witnessing the dangers Sherpas are exposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

And if he died he died doing what he loved.

I wonder how many people who died 'doing what they loved' and had time to realize they were probably going to die thought that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Been following this thread for a while. I believe that the Go fund me page should never have been set up in an effort to rescue Seamus Lawless. Seamus was never going to be brought home immediately be it alive or dead. However some of the posts here are obnoxious. Whatever happened to having a bit of respect for those gone before us. Does it occur to people that friends and family of Seamus could be following this thread.

Moderators have done very little to suppress the countless obnoxious posts here.

Advertisement