Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

Dipankar ghosh is on a completely different mountain, Makalu. Not the same team. 2 dead from the seven summit trek group. I don't think any sherpa died.

There was another guy killed on Lhotse, again another team. Lhotse is right beside Everest. I think his team mates are now having a cut at everest. That would suggest they're serious climbers, not clients.

Explorersweb is a fairly reliable source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'd be surprised if there isn't an increase in Irish people wishing to take on Everest after this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

2 out of 8 then, is that it?

recedite wrote: »

Correct and may be the only deaths on the mountain this year if the bad weather continues.

Officially €250,000 well done everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭holliehobbie

Dipankar ghosh is on a completely different mountain, Makalu. Not the same team. 2 dead from the seven summit trek group. I don't think any sherpa died.

There was another guy killed on Lhotse, again another team. Lhotse is right beside Everest. I think his team mates are now having a cut at everest. That would suggest they're serious climbers, not clients.

Explorersweb is a fairly reliable source.

Article is a bit confusing alright. Still it shows just how dangerous extreme mountaineering is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

tuxy wrote: »
    Correct and may be the only deaths on the mountain this year if the bad weather continues.
    Only 25% mortality then.
    I doubt they will be the last though. If weather improves from now on, so does the chance of avalanche/ice slide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

I'd be surprised if there isn't an increase in Irish people wishing to take on Everest after this.

Before heading off they should contact Simon Coveney to quantify the amount of taxpayers money that he'll be giving to their next of kin should things go tits up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Article is a bit confusing alright. Still it shows just how dangerous extreme mountaineering is.

Is it extreme if yer on a lead though ?

https://imgur.com/w0fUcFa

gctest50 wrote: »

For those people It's a test to see how you body reacts with very low air pressure, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭prunudo

Wow, that looks like hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

Of course, you need to read and educate yourself on the extremes of it, mental and physical that the vast majority of people would not be able for many reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭irishgeo

jvan wrote: »
    Wow, that looks like hell.

especially if you are a serious mountaineer. being held up by extra slowing moving tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

For those people It's a test to see how you body reacts with very low air pressure, nothing more.

Tis yeah ..... more about get their picture taken at the top, while letting on they made their own climbing rope out of mountain goat hair

https://imgur.com/BiLWsTV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

It's called the death zone ffs. So yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,281 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If you are able to network enough to get people to donate for you to go off and do something like this, why not?

Because your little girl is only 4 and your wife is 8 months pregnant. Isn't that obvious?

No kids, do what you want. Kids grown up, do what you want.

But when your kids are 4 and soon to be newborn, then be a real man and make sure you are there for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Death rate average is 2-3%. Not sure renouned Irish climber Noel Richard Hanna will be overly happy with the 25% death rate on his expedition.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

It's called the death zone ffs. So yes.

The Sherpas are breaking their backs carrying oxygen tanks that are being used at full flow rate by the self obsessed clients which effectively lowers the height of the mountain in terms of its effects on the body.

OwlsZat wrote: »
    I read the average death rate is 10%. Not sure renouned irish climber Noel Richard Hanna will be overly happy with the 25% dearth rate on his expedition.

The death rate is 2-3% die for everyone who mates it, this does not include people who abandon, if it did it would be well under 1%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

The more I read about it, and see crap and rubbish strewn all over, plus people dying trying to climb it or to help others climb it, the more I think it should just be shut down and left untouched by humans. We’re ****ing up the planet enough as it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Fcuk it lads I have a plan. Lets setup a go fund me page to build an oxygen pipeline to the top. We can fleece the bastards by flogging them oxygen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Fotish

Blaizes wrote: »
    If it bothers you that much why don't you contact the page and go and ask them.

So there are now two Go Fund Me pages for Séamus Lawless.

One to help his costs in going to Everest and one to bring him home ,
    Fools and their money .....

screamer wrote: »
    The more I read about it, and see crap and rubbish strewn all over, plus people dying trying to climb it or to help others climb it, the more I think it should just be shut down and left untouched by humans. We’re ****ing up the planet enough as it is

Agree 100%.

Ban summit attempts. Allow guided tours to base camp 4 so people can see it close up.

That way far more people can visit and Nepal will be no worse off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

The top of that mountain just sums up humanity! Tons of rubbish up there .

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

Who's next then?

"If you want to experience what it feels like to be on the highest point on the planet and have strong economic background to compensate for your old age, weak physical condition or your fear of risks, you can sign up for the VVIP Mount Everest Expedition Service offered by Seven Summit Treks and Expeditions."

I assumed this was a pisstake until reading the link

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭josip

Or do like the Swiss would do and put a train tunnel up through the middle of it and a station at the top.

jasper100 wrote: »
    screamer wrote: »

Agree 100%.

Ban summit attempts. Allow guided tours to base camp 4 so people can see it close up.

That way far more people can visit and Nepal will be no worse off.
    You cannot go above base camp without being a climber. So no guided tours for more people.

You cannot go above base camp without being a climber. So no guided tours for more people.

Change the rules so that non climbers can go to camp 4. More tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

The death rate is 2-3% die for everyone who mates it, this does not include people who abandon, if it did it would be well under 1%

I was surprised to read today that around 60% of people above base camp reach the summit.

josip wrote: »
    Or do like the Swiss would do and put a train tunnel up through the middle of it and a station at the top.

Another good idea. An elevator to the top. Tourists all year.

• Advertisement

jasper100 wrote: »

Change the rules so that non climbers can go to camp 4. More tourists.
    Jesus christ. You have to climb to get there. You have to go on ladders across huge cracks in the mountains. Yeah let's all go.

Advertisement