Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

lazygal wrote: »
    He had a child and his wife is pregnant and he chose to go on a charity holiday with a not insignificant risk of death. That's a fact.

Hope you haven't gone for a cycle
    A swim in sea
    Or played any sport
    That's a ludicrous comparison set.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

lazygal wrote: »
    That's a ludicrous comparison set.

same as a lot of your posts.....

Why are you taking it so hard ? :rolleyes: Relax will ya.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Hoboo

This thread has got drunk all of a sudden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

redmgar wrote: »
    Seamus had extensive history in mountain climbing, he gave a presentation to our group regarding the preparation that he undertook. It seemed exhaustive and not just playing on a vr machine. But if it suits your narrative to believe otherwise, fill your boots.

What experience did he have exactly?

Did your group pay money to hear his story?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Hope you haven't gone for a cycle A swim in sea Or played any sport

Chances of dying climbing everest is 1 in 60. If you manage to summit it your chances of dying drop to 1 in 27.

In comparison your chances of dying skydiving is 1 in 100,000. 1 in 50,000 playing football.

Lets call a spade a spade here. You can live a sufficiently exciting risk taking life without climbing Mt Everest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Lets call a spade a spade here. You can live a sufficiently exciting risk taking life without climbing Mt Everest.

Ah here...……..

Im out.
    All these snowflakes , that will end up not allowing their kid called Fergal play hurling in case he gets a splinter in his hand, have taken over....
    Enjoy.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

greenspurs wrote: »
    Ah here...……..

Im out.
    All these snowflakes , that will end up not allowing their kid called Fergal play hurling in case he gets a splinter in his hand, have taken over....
    Enjoy.

Yes anyone unwilling to pay tens of thousands to gamble their life on a 27/1 shot is a snowflake..

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

jasper100 wrote: »
    What experience did he have exactly?

Did your group pay money to hear his story?
    Nope my group is a children's youth group and volunteered 2 hours of his free time on a Friday evening. Try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭banie01

A swim in sea
    Or played any sport

Do those activities come with a 1 in 50 chance of death along with voiding Life Assurance and Mortgage protection policies?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,107 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Ah here...……..

Im out.
    Enjoy.

Ah yes , sure there is no real difference between a game of hurling and climbing Mount Everest .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Nope my group is a children's youth group and volunteered 2 hours of his free time on a Friday evening. Try again.

Nice to see him thinking of the children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

A swim in sea
    Or played any sport

Reading cretinous posts like that helps me to understand why Irish voters persist in electing complete gobsh1tes to the Dail.

It's because they like seeing people like themselves in our national parliament!

And his extensive climbing experience is?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭Crusty Jocks

And his extensive climbing experience is?

https://scss.tcd.ie/news/item.php?id=225

“We have been preparing over the past four years. We train on an ongoing basis here in Ireland, both out in the hills and in the gym. In addition, we complete winter skills training in Scotland every year. We have also had a series of preparatory expeditions - we have climbed two 6500m peaks (Mera and Island Peak) in the Himalayas in 2016, and last summer we climbed Denali in Alaska (the tallest mountain in North America and the tallest in the world if measured base to summit).”

Going by that he's been up three 6000+ meters peaks. I wouldn't call it totally inexperienced but I wouldn't call it 'extensive' either. Probably had more experience than some going up Everest and less than others.

Krakauer wrote in his book that he saw clients at base camp undergoing crampon training from guides, how to put them on and use them. Crazy stuff. I don't think he was quite in that category.

“We have been preparing over the past four years. We train on an ongoing basis here in Ireland, both out in the hills and in the gym. In addition, we complete winter skills training in Scotland every year. We have also had a series of preparatory expeditions - we have climbed two 6500m peaks (Mera and Island Peak) in the Himalayas in 2016, and last summer we climbed Denali in Alaska (the tallest mountain in North America and the tallest in the world if measured base to summit).”

Going by that he's been up three 6000+ meters peaks. I wouldn't call it totally inexperienced but I wouldn't call it 'extensive' either. Probably had more experience than some going up Everest and less than others.

Krakauer wrote in his book that he saw clients at base camp undergoing crampon training from guides, how to put them on and use them. Crazy stuff. I don't think he was quite in that category.

Pre 8000m experience is considered to be prudent. But shay didnt bother, he just wanted to buy his way to the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Because its just a BIT insensitive to the family of the missing person?

These lads are willing to search for a climber, because they will be paid for it! They are not being forced to go, the Sherpas are paid to go up and down mountains, and for search/recovery missions also.
    Is it similar to Search and rescue going out in storms to find people missing at sea?
    Medics helping wounded on the battlefields? Police officers tacking armed thugs ?

There’s no comparison to the choices available when it comes to how we vs the Sherpas make money.
    It’s in no way similar
    I already posted links to the stories of the Sherpas you should have a read.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭Crusty Jocks

Hoboo wrote: »
    Someone's included him as dead on Wikipedia.

Unlikely hes alive, but a bit early no?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_died_climbing_Mount_Everest

You need to click on this link and donate, you're just what they are after.

https://ie.gofundme.com/seamus-lawless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

The stink of judgement on this thread is pungent

I doubt this guy just one day decided hey i'm gonna climb Everest out of the blue as was said earlier.

His wife married him no doubt knowing the story before hand.

Some people are born to sit on the couch there whole lives and some people are driven to more.

Posting condemnation on an internet forum is not the zenith of human existence

Pre 8000m experience is considered to be prudent.
    You're obviously an expert and that quick google search has informed you that his experience was inadequate, so I will leave you to it. How about you don't donate to the GoFundMe page at leave it there?

I doubt this guy just one day decided hey i'm gonna climb Everest out of the blue as was said earlier.

Some people are born to sit on the couch there whole lives and some people are driven to more.

Its "THEIR" whole lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

You don't have to climb Everest to avoid sitting on your couch your whole life.

This sanctimonious bull**** about living your best life is also not the zenith of human existence.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Has it been confirmed if his climbing partner Jenny Copeland made camp 4? https://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/05/17/4174228-jenny-copeland-reaches-everest-summit/

You're obviously an expert and that quick google search has informed you that his experience was inadequate, so I will leave you to it. How about you don't donate to the GoFundMe page at leave it there?

You are the one claiming he had extensive climbing experience, any chance you can tell us what it is please.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

You don't have to climb Everest to avoid sitting on your couch your whole life.

This sanctimonious bull**** about living your best life is also not the zenith of human existence.

I dunno, the gleeful slating of a man and his family who has just died strikes me as another new low for AH.

Tributes have been paid by former students and colleagues as to this man's excellence as an educator, academic and general character. I'd lean towards those reference points rather than the caustic, speculative and mean-spirited contributions here.

I'll take a man who spent his time pushing himself (in all facets of his life it appears) than those who give over their time to slamming the deceased anonymously.

And to those who say climbing Everest is dangerous. We're aware, you may as well spare us and post "water is wet."

Where’s your donation then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yurt! wrote: »
    I dunno, the gleeful slating of a man and his family who has just died strikes me as another new low for AH.

Tributes have been paid by former students and colleagues as to this man's excellence as an educator, academic and general character. I'd lean towards those reference points rather than the caustic, speculative and mean-spirited contributions here.

I'll take a man who spent his time pushing himself (in all facets of his life it appears) than those who give over their time to slamming the deceased anonymously.

And to those who say climbing Everest is dangerous. We're aware, you may as well spare us and post "water is wet."

Yeah, fair enough, some of it is a bit gleeful which is unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

I am curious. €750k seems an awful lot to search for a body and transport it home. Why do they need so much?

Hopefully they can find the body for the family to get some closure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Interesting that no mention of European Alpine experience which would have been/ be the conventional route in terms of gaining climbing experience - Ireland/ Scotland... Alps... Greater Ranges. I suppose that's just an approach now - skip the Alps and onto the bigger stuff. Of above, Island Peak & Mera are considered 'trekking peaks' AFAIK, but Denali in North America is said to be a serious proposition - high, exposed to bad weather, lot of hauling and long routes on ice & snow. So a lot of experience would have been gained there.

Its "THEIR" whole lives.
    It's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I am curious. €750k seems an awful lot to search for a body and transport it home. Why do they need so much?

Hopefully they can find the body for the family to get some closure.

They needed that much because it was the maximum you can raise on gofundme. If gofundme had a higher cap then they would have needed more.

Advertisement