Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

tuxy wrote: »
    Some good news at least. What about Ravi Thakar who was also part of the team? I can't find any info on him and if he had a family.

I've nothing more on Ravi beyond the limited information already posted

What exactly is the source for this ?

A drone at C4 on Everest ?
    Doesn't sound very plausible given the lack of air and the weather conditions.

Garmin support not available over the weekend ?
    A multi billion dollar company can't offer support over the weekend ?

Again does not sound very plausible.

Doesn't matter who the source is, I'm providing an update, you can take it at face value or call BS, doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Have a read about the use of a drone and mountaineering

https://www.redbull.com/ie-en/drone-mountaineering-rescue

Blaizes wrote: »
    Thank you for giving this update. Tentatively it could be good news and some measure of comfort to his family but early days I guess.

On a separate note you mentioned AS is this altitude sickness?

Yes altitude sickness

There's an awful lot of your post which is pure unconfirmed bolloc...speculation but you don't want to divulge this little bit, was it by any chance a very heroic and selfless act by Seamus to save poor old Mr. Sherpa? Keep us posted when you have your next update from deep throat on Twitter, am on the edge of my seat here. Nothing like a bit of attention.

Drones, garmin...for f*ck sake. I seriously hope some Nepalese lads are running the show with this around a laptop having a few pints in some shack pissing themselves laughing and take every cent of that GoFundMe.

As I said to another poster, take it at face value or call it BS, makes no odds to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Doesn't matter who the source is, I'm providing an update, you can take it at face value or call BS, doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Have a read about the use of a drone and mountaineering

https://www.redbull.com/ie-en/drone-mountaineering-rescue

Thanks

I'll call it BS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Some people here seem to be dismayed at the working conditions of the local people. I've never been to the greater ranges but I do know a little of how things work there. The lads carrying the huge loads are not 'Sherpas' per se, they are porters. These mountainous regions often have little or no road infrastructure and since as long as people have been living there, they've portered everything in, that they haven't been able to obtain from local natural materials. Carrying loads is a way of life, so pointless to view that through the prism of comfy Irish society where you only need to lift stuff in and out the boot of your car. These people get paid for carrying loads. Now you can say it's exploitative to have them toting in beer, tents and ropes etc., but do understand that they'd be doing it anyway for their own people. Just a bit of extra cash income when the westerners come. Some porters carry stuff higher, the 'high altitude porters'. The climbing Sherpas are effectively professional mountain guides, paid to guide & assist climbers, fix ropes and bridges, liaise with teams etc. They're much further up the food chain than the porters.

Apart from that, I don't think anyone should really be commenting on the wisdom, commitments, finances of the missing man. Most certainly not those who've never set foot on anything higher than the Sugarloaf if that. Who are we to judge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

lazygal wrote: »
    Of course he was. He had a wife and child at home and a baby on the way. That's enough thrill seeking. He's a selfish man to have embarked on a so called charity holiday when he knew he could die. My husband loves adventure sports. He doesn't do them now he has a family who need him at home more than he needs to have a hobby. Motorbiking is also something he wouldn't go near.

It's quite easy to be judgemental and put your values onto other peoples situation that you don't really know anything about

I mean I could say your husband is probably a weak man under your thumb quite the opposite of the strength and character of seamus lawless

• Registered Users Posts: 33,347 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have tried to be as understanding of the man's reason for doing the climb, and his willingness to do it and risk leaving his wife a widow and his kids without a father.

Many are saying he was mad and stupid, others would take the "you have to live life on the edge" motto, but for example I know a guy who used to be big into his motorbikes, but quit riding one once he became a father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

BarryD2 wrote: »

Apart from that, I don't think anyone should really be commenting on the wisdom, commitments, finances of the missing man. Most certainly not those who've never set foot on anything higher than the Sugarloaf if that. Who are we to judge?

Is it fair for a pubic fund raiser to lead people to believe he may be still alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭holliehobbie

Ravi Thakar, 28, was found dead inside his tent at Camp IV on Mount Everest early Friday while Narayan Singh died at Camp IV on Thursday night when he was climbing down from the 8,485-meter Mount Makalu summit, world's fifth highest mountain.

Dipankar Ghos, 52, from Kolkata went missing from above Camp IV while returning from the Mount Makalu summit, said Mingma Sherpa, Chairman at Seven Summit Treks.

A search team, which reached the area from where the climber is suspected to have gone missing, however, failed to trace him, Sherpa said.

Ghos climbed Mount Everest in 2011 and has also scaled Mount Kanchenjunga, Mount Lhotse, Mount Manaslu and Mount Dhaulagiri among other peaks.

Thakar died after he suffered from high altitude sickness.

"Fellow climbers found him dead inside the tent," Sherpa was quoted as saying by The Himalayan Times.

Ravi was part of an eight-member expedition led by renowned Irish climber Noel Richard Hanna.

He along with other members made it to the summit of Mount Everest on Thursday morning.

Another member of the same expedition - Seamus Sean Lawless from Ireland - slipped from the balcony area while descending from the summit point.

So is that four men now dead from the same climbing team? Did anyone see in the clip where it said that due to climate change the remains were thawing out and threatening the water supply for 1.3 billion people? Scary stuff. I think all the money in the fund now should be donated to the Nepalese people who have no other means of income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Hoboo

McCrack wrote: »
    It's quite easy to be judgemental and put your values onto other peoples situation that you don't really know anything about

I mean I could say your husband is probably a weak man under your thumb quite the opposite of the strength and character of seamus lawless

Yeah he was a real man, didn't give a fook for his wife or kids, he made his own decisions and no one, especially some woman, could stop him.

Thats some character alright.

Turned out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Of course he was. He had a wife and child at home and a baby on the way. That's enough thrill seeking. He's a selfish man to have embarked on a so called charity holiday when he knew he could die. My husband loves adventure sports. He doesn't do them now he has a family who need him at home more than he needs to have a hobby. Motorbiking is also something he wouldn't go near.

My husband has enough cop on himself not to go on a life threatening holiday under the guise of charity fundraising. Most men are the same when they've a family at home. As are most women.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Ravi Thakar, 28, was found dead inside his tent at Camp IV on Mount Everest early Friday while Narayan Singh died at Camp IV on Thursday night when he was climbing down from the 8,485-meter Mount Makalu summit, world's fifth highest mountain.

Dipankar Ghos, 52, from Kolkata went missing from above Camp IV while returning from the Mount Makalu summit, said Mingma Sherpa, Chairman at Seven Summit Treks.

A search team, which reached the area from where the climber is suspected to have gone missing, however, failed to trace him, Sherpa said.

Ghos climbed Mount Everest in 2011 and has also scaled Mount Kanchenjunga, Mount Lhotse, Mount Manaslu and Mount Dhaulagiri among other peaks.

Thakar died after he suffered from high altitude sickness.

"Fellow climbers found him dead inside the tent," Sherpa was quoted as saying by The Himalayan Times.

Ravi was part of an eight-member expedition led by renowned Irish climber Noel Richard Hanna.

He along with other members made it to the summit of Mount Everest on Thursday morning.

Another member of the same expedition - Seamus Sean Lawless from Ireland - slipped from the balcony area while descending from the summit point.

So is that four men now dead from the same climbing team? Did anyone see in the clip where it said that due to climate change the remains were thawing out and threatening the water supply for 1.3 billion people? Scary stuff. I think all the money in the fund now should be donated to the Nepalese people who have no other means of income.
    There is also tonnes of **** up there. It contaiminates the water of the glaciers which melts into rivers.

The most beautiful places in the world **** all over.

Even the summit is covered in rubbish of old flags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Is it fair for a pubic fund raiser to lead people to believe he may be still alive?

To be absolutely fair about that it might have been meant in the context of there only being a very short window of time in which to attempt a recovery mission as this window closes (from what has been said by people here) at the end of May. Balance and perspective needed imo .As regards supporting the mission itself and offering a donation do people not have free will to decide themselves This is not like a Sunday mass collection where the basket is passed round and there is pressure to donate, people can and did make their own choice as to whether to donate or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Blaizes wrote: »
    To be absolutely fair about that it might have been meant in the context of there only being a very short window of time in which to attempt a recovery mission as this window closes (from what has been said by people here) at the end of May.

But why remove comments that confirm he is dead while offering words of support for his family and not edit the description which is still described as a search and rescue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Would ya fe*k off out of that. So a father who stays to work on a marriage and raise a family without putting himself or his needs first is under the thumb ? Yet a father who goes to summit an incredibly dangerous mountain and risks his life is a man of strength and character? I'm sure Seamus was a great guy, but go away with yourself and that ridiculous comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

But why remove comments that confirm he is dead while offering words of support for his family and not edit the description which is still described as a search and rescue?

If it bothers you that much why don't you contact the page and go and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

My husband has enough cop on himself not to go on a life threatening holiday under the guise of charity fundraising. Most men are the same when they've a family at home. As are most women.
    Obviously he is under the thumb if he cares about his kids. I mean no man could make that decision himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,803 ✭✭✭✭josip

From an aircraft...

See where it says 21 on that photo ?
    I was there in Nov 1999 :)

whooopeeedooodaaaphuckingday

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Rologyro

I would be absolutely furious if my husband even thought about doing something as stupid as an adventure dressed up as charity when he has a young family. And then to ask for hundreds of thousands of euro when it goes wrong is even more fury inducing. Can't understand these types of people.

Agree. If I had a four year old and was pregnant with another child, and my husband said he was going to climb Everest, I’d tell him to expect a divorce IF he comes back.

Even the stress of worrying about him while pregnant could surely increase the risk of a miscarriage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

On second captains podcast they mentioned how they got a message in from one of their listeners last Thursday who was about to summit Everest. That man was Sean Lawless. He was just a guy, maybe he wanted to make his kids proud of him. If you are able to network enough to get people to donate for you to go off and do something like this, why not? People can decide to donate or not

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

On second captains podcast they mentioned how they got a message in from one of their listeners last Thursday who was about to summit Everest. That man was Sean Lawless. He was just a guy, maybe he wanted to make his kids proud of him. If you are able to network enough to get people to donate for you to go off and do something like this, why not? People can decide to donate or not

Our kids are very proud of their Dad who gave his time to be with them and put them first always .He didn't need to climb Everest to be their hero

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭Crusty Jocks

How did Sean get on, the other Irish lad fell off the mountain and died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I make it 3 out of 8, so the stats are not quite that bad.
    Maybe not the fittest or the smartest in the world, but every one an economic powerhouse in his own right.

Who's next then?

"If you want to experience what it feels like to be on the highest point on the planet and have strong economic background to compensate for your old age, weak physical condition or your fear of risks, you can sign up for the VVIP Mount Everest Expedition Service offered by Seven Summit Treks and Expeditions."

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

NIMAN wrote: »
    This is a very interesting programme, about the 33 yr old Canadian woman who climbed Everest but who died on the return from the summit.
    She was very inexperienced but managed to do it, against the advice of the sherpas, but it cost her her life.
    A lot of her own video footage is in the piece.

Thanks, that's a powerful exposé on how climbing Everest seems to have become the ultimate tourist trip.
    Really shocking to see the line of 100+, queuing just outside the camp, at start of the summit attempt day.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭holliehobbie

recedite wrote: »
    I make it 3 out of 8, so the stats are not quite that bad.
    Maybe not the fittest or the smartest in the world, but every one an economic powerhouse in his own right.

Who's next then?

"If you want to experience what it feels like to be on the highest point on the planet and have strong economic background to compensate for your old age, weak physical condition or your fear of risks, you can sign up for the VVIP Mount Everest Expedition Service offered by Seven Summit Treks and Expeditions."

I counted four different names in that article.

Ravi Thakar, Dipankar Ghos and Seamus Lawless. Are there any others?
    I think they are confusing the issue by using the name Ravi and then talking about Thakar, but they are the same person AFAIK.

Yes you are right, Narayan Singh too. So four separate incidents.
    50% mortality.
    Yikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Rologyro wrote: »
    Agree. If I had a four year old and was pregnant with another child, and my husband said he was going to climb Everest, I’d tell him to expect a divorce IF he comes back.

Even the stress of worrying about him while pregnant could surely increase the risk of a miscarriage.

+1. Lots of real men would like to be going around the world on adventures but are trapped by work, family commitments, mortgage and wanting to be there to feed and educate their kids as best they can.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

recedite wrote: »
    Yes you are right, Narayan Singh too. So four separate incidents.
    50% mortality.
    Yikes.

Were they not from 2 different expeditions? One to Everest a nd one to Makulu?

Advertisement