Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

jasper100 wrote: »
    Fcuk it lads I have a plan. Lets setup a go fund me page to build an oxygen pipeline to the top. We can fleece the bastards by flogging them oxygen.

Build a crematorium up there

Didn't survive ? in you go and can post you home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Jesus christ. You have to climb to get there. You have to go on ladders across huge cracks in the mountains. Yeah let's all go.

You do know that a lot of people have 0 experience of climbing when they get there and are thought the basics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Jesus christ. You have to climb to get there. You have to go on ladders across huge cracks in the mountains. Yeah let's all go.

Complete amateurs with no climbing experience are allowed try climb everest once they have enough money to buy a permit. You are not tested for skill level.

Close the top, allow more people to go to camp 4 to compensate financial loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

You do know that a lot of people have 0 experience of climbing when they get there and are thought the basics?
    Yes. Very few though. It's a bit of a myth that they are dragged up by sherpas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nobelium wrote: »
    What's the maximum height/altitude bodies have been successfully retrieved from with acceptable risk ?
    In the Alps there's signs warning you not to go further unless you have already paid for helicopter insurance. Because it's about €90 a minute if you don't. But helicopters can only go so high.

It's called the death zone because you are already dying up there.

Even if you remove all the risks from cold and falls and avalanches and wind and sipping on ice you will still die if you stay too long.

And then you've got to climb Carrauntoohil to get to the balcony. And you've no control on the queues of tourists delaying you. And there's about 700 of them and it's a short season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Another good idea. An elevator to the top. Tourists all year.

And a visitor centre/cafe :D

Complete amateurs with no climbing experience are allowed try climb everest once they have enough money to buy a permit. You are not tested for skill level.

Close the top, allow more people to go to camp 4 to compensate financial loss.
    You are actually serious.

He is mistaking climbers with permit holders.

Out of 1000 people who attempt Everest. What % of them could do it without any assistance from Sherpas

Out of 1000 people who attempt Everest. What % of them could do it without any assistance from Sherpas
    Hang on I will just conduct a survey on that and get straight back.

• Advertisement

Money talks when trying to climb everest. Any wealthy fool can try it. Your climbing skillset is not questioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Interview with Seamus from earlier this year.
    https://irishsevensummits.com/everest-2019-interview/

You are pretending to know but you don’t. Anyone and everyone can attempt Everest as long as you have a permit. Experience has no relevance in getting a permit.

Money talks when trying to climb everest. Any wealthy fool can try it. Your climbing skillset is not questioned.

Should we post the video again about the Canadian woman who didn't like walking but made the summit anyway but then failed to return to camp.

Hang on I will just conduct a survey on that and get straight back.

He is mistaking climbers with permit holders.
    Are you referring to me here?

I am not mistaking anything. You need to climb above base camp. You cannot have guided tours to camp four. I actually can't believe this conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

You can't generalise. Nobody goes up with zero experience. The typical "client" climber has climbed (with a guide) 2 or 3 of the seven summits (and very little else at high altitude) before the attempt. That's insufficient experience to do anything self sufficient and virtually all of those would fail early days due to rookie screw ups or fear.

Stronger climbers with extensive independent climbing experience (who make up a small but variable proportion from year to year) would stand a better chance, but many of those will get sherpa assistance too.

Are you referring to me here?

I am not mistaking anything. You need to climb above base camp. You cannot have guided tours to camp four. I actually can't believe this conversation.

You could always take a helicopter to the top, saves messing around with ropes and those clippy things

You are pretending to know but you don’t. Anyone and everyone can attempt Everest as long as you have a permit. Experience has no relevance in getting a permit.
    Of course I don't know what percentage of climbers can climb without sherpas. How would I know that. Why would I pretend to know that.

I am saying you cannot have guided tours to camp 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

You can't generalise. Nobody goes up with zero experience. The typical "client" climber has climbed (with a guide) 2 or 3 of the seven summits (and very little else at high altitude) before the attempt. That's insufficient experience to do anything self sufficient and virtually all of those would fail early days due to rookie screw ups or fear.

Stronger climbers with extensive independent climbing experience (who make up a small but variable proportion from year to year) would stand a better chance, but many of those will get sherpa assistance too.

Sorry this was a reply to : "Out of 1000 people who attempt Everest. What % of them could do it without any assistance from Sherpas"

Of course I don't know what percentage of climbers can climb without sherpas. How would I know that. Why would I pretend to know that.

You also need 0 experience in climbing to be allowed to go to any of the camps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,280 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I get what you are trying to say, but technically every time a climber is accompanied to the summit they have just had a guided tour through all the camps...

Apparently Seamus did some of this training in VR, I like the sound of that don't even have to leave my sofa.

d03ca8baca004badeb5474dfa6c2daab.png

And in other news it's now confirmed money will be spent on sending sherpas into danger searching for a body.

https://extra.ie/2019/05/20/news/irish-news/seamus-lawless-search-resuming

In those photos above they're getting a guided tour to the very top

Why can you not have guided tours to camp 4 when most people get a guided tour to the summit?

"Hero" Shay had a 1:1 personal guide ratio ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭holliehobbie

So it's OK to risk the lives of 45 other men? To try and find Seamus body? Just because they are poor men. What kind of a crazy ****ed up world do we live in?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

gctest50 wrote: »
    You could always take a helicopter to the top, saves messing around with ropes and those clippy things

but helicopters can't go to that height

Someone forgot to tell this French pilot!

So it's OK to risk the lives of 45 other men? To try and find Seamus body? Just because they are poor men. What kind of a crazy ****ed up world do we live in?!!!

Its a pity they dont call it what t is "a body recovery operation"

In any case its a disgrace to put 45 lives at ris.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

tuxy wrote: »

Someone forgot to tell this French pilot!

It's possible but extremely unsafe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭holliehobbie

Stark wrote: »
    It's possible but extremely unsafe.

Couldn't he set off an avalanche too?

Advertisement