Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiered Championship

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

For that stat to make any sense, it would have to be the same Division 4 teams for the period of time those games took place in. Plenty of teams from Division 4 have climbed through the divisions over the years, potentially gaining valuable experience from playing higher ranked teams in the championship along the way.

And those counties who improved their standards wouldn't have been able to if they were thrown out of the real championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Its about the GAA making more money by having Dublin play Mayo and Kerry more frequently during the summer months.

I'm not opposed to some sort of restructure, I think Jim McGuinness's idea a few years ago was workable, gave every team at least one chance at the top prize, gave the National League the standing it deserves, but also lower tier teams a chance at a big day out at the end of the year

But lets not kid ourselves, the motivation is money and nothing else, same as the Super 8's

Without a doubt and as someone that loves and has given a lot my life to this sport i am fairly sickened by this carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,090 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

For that stat to make any sense, it would have to be the same Division 4 teams for the period of time those games took place in. Plenty of teams from Division 4 have climbed through the divisions over the years, potentially gaining valuable experience from playing higher ranked teams in the championship along the way.

I really don't know where he came up with that stat

But I did my own bit of research

I started at 2009 when Div 4 teams were readmitted to the qualifiers and went up to 2018

From 2009 to 2018 inclusive Div4 teams beat Div 1 or Div 2 teams on a whopping 8 occasions.

They were
    Antrim (1st Div 4) v Donegal (7th in Div 1) (UC)
    Wicklow (5th Div 4) v Fermanagh (8th Div 2) (Q)

Lonfgord (7th Div 4) v Mayo (5th Div 1) (Q)

Tipp (1st Div 4) v Laois (5th Div 2) (Q)

Antrim (3rd Div 4) v Laois (6th Div 2) (Q)

Carlow (2nd Div 4) v Louth (8th Div 2) (LC)
    Carlow (2nd Div 4) v Kildare (8th Div 1) (LC)
    Leitrim (5th Div 4) v Louth (8th Div 2) (Q)

Now I did not count the number of games that Div 4 teams played but if you assume that each of the 8 teams played a minimum of 2 a year over the 10 season that would be about 160 games.

8 out of 160 is a 5% success rate.

And look at the type of teams they were beating

Carlow beat Louth in 2018, but Carlow were promoted to Div 3 and Louth were relegated to Div 3..

In 2009 Antrim win Div 4 and beat the team relegated from Div 1.
    Wicklow (under Micko) beat the team relegated from Div 2.

The only real standout is the Longford win v Mayo in 2010. Mid table v Div 4 beating mid table Div 1.

Now the numbers for Div 3 teams v Div 1 and Div 2 teams does look better (approx 32 in the same period) but I have not had time to break that down any further

But the argument that lower ranked teams can improve by playing, and are improving because they are consistently playing, higher ranked teams is folly.

I really don't know where he came up with that stat

But I did my own bit of research

I started at 2009 when Div 4 teams were readmitted to the qualifiers and went up to 2018

From 2009 to 2018 inclusive Div4 teams beat Div 1 or Div 2 teams on a whopping 8 occasions.

They were
    Antrim (1st Div 4) v Donegal (7th in Div 1) (UC)
    Wicklow (5th Div 4) v Fermanagh (8th Div 2) (Q)

Lonfgord (7th Div 4) v Mayo (5th Div 1) (Q)

Tipp (1st Div 4) v Laois (5th Div 2) (Q)

Antrim (3rd Div 4) v Laois (6th Div 2) (Q)

Carlow (2nd Div 4) v Louth (8th Div 2) (LC)
    Carlow (2nd Div 4) v Kildare (8th Div 1) (LC)
    Leitrim (5th Div 4) v Louth (8th Div 2) (Q)

Now I did not count the number of games that Div 4 teams played but if you assume that each of the 8 teams played a minimum of 2 a year over the 10 season that would be about 160 games.

8 out of 160 is a 5% success rate.

And look at the type of teams they were beating

Carlow beat Louth in 2018, but Carlow were promoted to Div 3 and Louth were relegated to Div 3..

In 2009 Antrim win Div 4 and beat the team relegated from Div 1.
    Wicklow (under Micko) beat the team relegated from Div 2.

The only real standout is the Longford win v Mayo in 2010. Mid table v Div 4 beating mid table Div 1.

Now the numbers for Div 3 teams v Div 1 and Div 2 teams does look better (approx 32 in the same period) but I have not had time to break that down any further

But the argument that lower ranked teams can improve by playing, and are improving because they are consistently playing, higher ranked teams is folly.

You didn't understand his point. The same teams are not in division 4 all the time. Teams move up! For example, Derry were in their this year, first time in years. Westmeath and Laois were there, they are now in division 2, both of them have been Leinster finalists the past few years. Louth have been there, went up to division 2. Same with Longford, Tipperary were there in 2014, do you remember them in the All Ireland semi final? Clare were down there the same year. Roscommon were there this decade.
    You're talking about the counties who are always in division 4. London, Wicklow, Waterford and the like. How many counties do you want to bin?

You didn't understand his point. The same teams are not in division 4 all the time. Teams move up! For example, Derry were in their this year, first time in years. Westmeath and Laois were there, they are now in division 2, both of them have been Leinster finalists the past few years. Louth have been there, went up to division 2. Same with Longford, Tipperary were there in 2014, do you remember them in the All Ireland semi final? Clare were down there the same year. Roscommon were there this decade.
    You're talking about the counties who are always in division 4. London, Wicklow, Waterford and the like. How many counties do you want to bin?

I don't what to "bin" any counties as you put it.
    I want to see an attempt at restructuring the football championship.

Right now it's not fit for purpose for a high level multi million euro competition.

It's based on structures a century old

Why do Tyrone have to play twice as many games as Kerry to reach the same point ?

Why is it possible that for example Louth who beat Wexford at the weekend could end up in Round 1 of the qualifiers along with Wexford.

What reward do they get for actually winning a game ?

It needs a massive overhaul

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Right now it's not fit for purpose for a high level multi million euro competition.

Why do Tyrone have to play twice as many games as Kerry to reach the same point ?

Why is it possible that for example Louth who beat Wexford at the weekend could end up in Round 1 of the qualifiers along with Wexford.

Provinces have got to go. There's no other way around it than that but it's also the biggest stumbling block to proper change. That's why they'll continue to faff about with back doors and quarter final groups and it'll still only be a half arsed structure.

Kicking teams out of the proper championship will not solve any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Kicking teams out of the proper championship will not solve any of that.

Actually yes it will, every team should have to play the same amount of games against roughly similar opposition in the early stages of the cship. This can't happen under the present system

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Fair chunk of the managers of the Division 4 teams seem to be fairly open to the idea.

These are the guys who are dealing with the players day-in-day-out and know the reality of the situation. These are the guys who are getting the thanks but no thanks from lads who have no interest in committing to playing inter-county football with the current structures. These are the guys who know it's odds on that their season will be one provincial game and one qualifier game. They know the current system isn't working.

London manager is in favour

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0505/1047700-im-a-huge-supporter-of-a-tier-two-championship/

Leitrim Manager is in favour

https://www.leitrimobserver.ie/news/national-sports/373715/leitrim-back-tier-2-championship.html

Wicklow Manager is in Favour

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/football-needs-a-tier-2-evans-38094086.html

Limerick manager is in favour (even after the Tipp result)

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/limerick-boss-lee-supports-second-tier-championship-871449.html
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaelic-football/gaelic-football-news/limerick-boss-billy-lee-not-15671446

Antrim manager in favour

http://www.irishnews.com/paywall/tsb/irishnews/irishnews/irishnews//sport/gaafootball/2019/02/14/news/alarm-bells-must-be-ringing-among-the-gaa-s-top-brass-antrim-boss-lenny-harbinson-1551867/content.html

Waterford manager not averse

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/new-deise-boss-whelan-open-to-secondary-competition-872104.html

The fact that so many of the managers of those counties who will be affected are in favour surely has to count for a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,243 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

First off counties are not being thrown out of the All Ireland Championship. Rather it would be reconfigured to be similar to most County championships. You would have an Senior, Intermediate and Junior county championship. Depending on set up either one or two teams could be promoted or relegated. So no team is consigned to a certain tier of the championship forever.

There are huge advantages teams will have much the same amount of games regardless of the tier that they are in. At present about 16 teams only get 2 championship games a year. Take Limerick it was 5-6 years since they won a championship game. In a tiered structure it would allow round robin competitions in all tiers. So every team would get a minimum 4-5 games every year. Teams that had to pay relegation playoffs and teams that got to tier final would get 6-8 games a year. Would TnaG and TV3 be interested in showing the the junior and interested division games if not I am sure that an internet TV GAA channel could be set up.
    It would mean the end of provincal championship's but the Leinster and Munster are meaningless at present. However on the counter balance every team would be playing against teams more or less at there own level with the reward of a final and promotion to a higher tier for reaching it

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

First off counties are not being thrown out of the All Ireland Championship. Rather it would be reconfigured to be similar to most County championships. You would have an Senior, Intermediate and Junior county championship. Depending on set up either one or two teams could be promoted or relegated. So no team is consigned to a certain tier of the championship forever.

There are huge advantages teams will have much the same amount of games regardless of the tier that they are in. At present about 16 teams only get 2 championship games a year. Take Limerick it was 5-6 years since they won a championship game. In a tiered structure it would allow round robin competitions in all tiers. So every team would get a minimum 4-5 games every year. Teams that had to pay relegation playoffs and teams that got to tier final would get 6-8 games a year. Would TnaG and TV3 be interested in showing the the junior and interested division games if not I am sure that an internet TV GAA channel could be set up.
    It would mean the end of provincal championship's but the Leinster and Munster are meaningless at present. However on the counter balance every team would be playing against teams more or less at there own level with the reward of a final and promotion to a higher tier for reaching it

Can't see what the fuss is about tbh. A tiered structure is the norm in the GAA as a whole. National leagues in both codes, club championships in both codes, the hurling championship competitions and finally the ladies in both codes. The footballing fraternity needs to ditch its irrational thinking tbh. If plummeting attendances aren't a significant enough sign that change is warranted then certain people quite frankly have their heads stuck in the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gaatheformat

I have been working on a proposal for the previous 3 years and i think we are finally getting close to a system that works for everyone

Key factors in any format re-boot

Scheduling

Must be a fair
    Players must be given rest between games and 6 day turnarounds must be limited
    No impact on the promotion of the Hurling Championship
    Schedule must be attractive to broadcasters

Finance

With intercounty costs spiralling out of control a shorter season is a necessity
    A defined close season period with heavy penalties for breaches
    A pooling of resources for all intercounty teams led by HQ which should lead to significant savings

Tiered System

All counties should be in with a chance to win Sam Maguire but there should also be other silverware up for grabs for other counties

All counties guaranteed 3 games - A maximum of 6 teams will NOT win a game all summer

The NFL to be semi-connected to the main championship

Teams seeded by NFL position with a new seeding trophy up for grabs each summer

A proposal to put the Provincial tournaments on a "Hiatus" for a short period until more teams are on an equal footing then re-introducing them into our fixture calender

A brand new secondary ALL IRELAND with all counties included

Clubs/Colleges

A defined club season that starts with club league with access for county players for the first 3/4 weeks -County players return exclusively to the county team until they are eliminated

No Winter training for intercounty teams so clubs/colleges will have full access

U20/Minor

A new tiered system for both resulting in more chance for ALL counties to be successful

The problem with a round robin system is that it would remove any chance of a surprise team making it to a semi-final for example, like Fermanagh in 2004, Wexford in 2008, Tipp in 2016, even Down in 2010

The All Ireland Senior Football Championship Group Stages are already reducing the likes of the above happening and it you had a league structure for the whole championship it would be reduced further.

The more games the big teams play in the league/group/division the less chance that one bad result will hurt them.

Now it could also be argued of course the Kildare's three games in The All Ireland Senior Football Championship Group Stages 2018 were of much more benefit than the 25 drubbing they got in one game in the quarter finals in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gaatheformat

The problem with a round robin system is that it would remove any chance of a surprise team making it to a semi-final for example, like Fermanagh in 2004, Wexford in 2008, Tipp in 2016, even Down in 2010

The All Ireland Senior Football Championship Group Stages are already reducing the likes of the above happening and it you had a league structure for the whole championship it would be reduced further.

The more games the big teams play in the league/group/division the less chance that one bad result will hurt them.

Now it could also be argued of course the Kildare's three games in The All Ireland Senior Football Championship Group Stages 2018 were of much more benefit than the 25 drubbing they got in one game in the quarter finals in 2015.

Problem with round-robin is eventually attendances will significantly drop,Supporters are ruthless and want big knock out games - Whatever format is trialled will need to reduce the amount of dead rubbers as possible and try and keep games as important as possible.

Actually yes it will, every team should have to play the same amount of games against roughly similar opposition in the early stages of the cship. This can't happen under the present system

If some counties want to make a break away championship, they should come out and say it. Feigning interest in the health of football in the 'weaker' counties is not being bought.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Fair chunk of the managers of the Division 4 teams seem to be fairly open to the idea.

These are the guys who are dealing with the players day-in-day-out and know the reality of the situation. These are the guys who are getting the thanks but no thanks from lads who have no interest in committing to playing inter-county football with the current structures. These are the guys who know it's odds on that their season will be one provincial game and one qualifier game. They know the current system isn't working.

London manager is in favour

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0505/1047700-im-a-huge-supporter-of-a-tier-two-championship/

Leitrim Manager is in favour

https://www.leitrimobserver.ie/news/national-sports/373715/leitrim-back-tier-2-championship.html

Wicklow Manager is in Favour

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/football-needs-a-tier-2-evans-38094086.html

Limerick manager is in favour (even after the Tipp result)

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/limerick-boss-lee-supports-second-tier-championship-871449.html
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaelic-football/gaelic-football-news/limerick-boss-billy-lee-not-15671446

Antrim manager in favour

http://www.irishnews.com/paywall/tsb/irishnews/irishnews/irishnews//sport/gaafootball/2019/02/14/news/alarm-bells-must-be-ringing-among-the-gaa-s-top-brass-antrim-boss-lenny-harbinson-1551867/content.html

Waterford manager not averse

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/new-deise-boss-whelan-open-to-secondary-competition-872104.html

The fact that so many of the managers of those counties who will be affected are in favour surely has to count for a lot.

Again, how will kicking 8 counties out make a difference?

Counties will not recover from this and they are getting kicked out of the championship proper, that's the truth of it no matter how it's tried to be dressed up.
    Let's look at the hurling. Since been put into the second tier, Offaly have not been able to recover. They've been dragged down to the level they are playing and now Westmeath have battered them. Same with Antrim and Laois, this tiered idea is disastrous for the counties that get binned.

Can't see what the fuss is about tbh. A tiered structure is the norm in the GAA as a whole. National leagues in both codes, club championships in both codes, the hurling championship competitions and finally the ladies in both codes. The footballing fraternity needs to ditch its irrational thinking tbh. If plummeting attendances aren't a significant enough sign that change is warranted then certain people quite frankly have their heads stuck in the sand.

Falling attendances is the fault of the 'weaker' counties! I've heard it all now. I assume all these posters favouring this cull are from 'stronger' counties?

Falling attendances is the fault of the 'weaker' counties! I've heard it all now. I assume all these posters favouring this cull are from 'stronger' counties?

I haven't blamed any county, whether 'strong' or 'weak'. The remaining Leinster championship games before the final (regardless of Dublin being present or not) are all double headers this year. Why do you think that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I haven't blamed any county, whether 'strong' or 'weak'. The remaining Leinster championship games before the final (regardless of Dublin being present or not) are all double headers this year. Why do you think that is?

Because the financial doping of Dublin over a period of 15 years has made the Leinster championship so uncompetitive that no one, including Dublin fans, wants to watch it anymore?

• Advertisement

Because the financial doping of Dublin over a period of 15 years has made the Leinster championship so uncompetitive that no one, including Dublin fans, wants to watch it anymore?

A combination of Dublin being good and everyone else not bothering abd turning to rubbish.

The Leinster championship is dead. Why that is has been well documented at this stage. Maybe that's what should be tackled instead of punishing the 'weaker' counties.

Sadly, you speak the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,243 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The Leinster championship is dead. Why that is has been well documented at this stage. Maybe that's what should be tackled instead of punishing the 'weaker' counties.

What is happening at present is punishing weaker counties. They get 2-3 championship games a year and then that is it. Many weaker counties considered DIV 3 or 4 title now more important than championship. Most are struggling to get players to play for them. Last year something like 50 players that were approached by the Limerick football management refused to make themselves available to play for the county. One the main reasons is that playersknow taht they have to train for 8-10 months of the years for to arrive in a mismatched competitions.

This year we will see few football games on TV until after the hurling round robin is completed. Again because TV has no interest in mismatched games that mean nothing until the Super 8's starts. I was not in favor of the S8's but we have them now and have to get on with it. But we need to find a solution for counties that cannot compete in the super eights.

As can be seen more and more lower division managers also are of the opinion that change is needed. It makes no difference to the stronger counties they will continue to have the S8's Teams that win All Ireland do not come from nowhere. Tyrone, Armagh and Donegal were winning Ulster titles and getting to semi finals before they won there titles.

If a team is promoted from Tier2 to Tier1 they will have the winter to prepare themselves for T1 championship and the same with T3 going into T2. Under the present structure a weaker team getting to S8's like Kildare and Roscommon last year will always struggle. Tipperary making the semi final a few years ago is also an example a weaker county under the present system can only advance so far before being beaten.

If there was 10 team in the top tier it would give those teams that are promoted a chance to consolidate. Where round robin is played in County championship promoted teams are seldom relegated straight away again. You see team going from Junior grade to senior grade in 2-4 years and often being competitive at senior level. In counties that play either knock out or 2nd chance teams find it hard to progress as survival becomes more important.

Slava Ukrainii

What is happening at present is punishing weaker counties. They get 2-3 championship games a year and then that is it. Many weaker counties considered DIV 3 or 4 title now more important than championship. Most are struggling to get players to play for them. Last year something like 50 players that were approached by the Limerick football management refused to make themselves available to play for the county. One the main reasons is that playersknow taht they have to train for 8-10 months of the years for to arrive in a mismatched competitions.

This year we will see few football games on TV until after the hurling round robin is completed. Again because TV has no interest in mismatched games that mean nothing until the Super 8's starts. I was not in favor of the S8's but we have them now and have to get on with it. But we need to find a solution for counties that cannot compete in the super eights.

As can be seen more and more lower division managers also are of the opinion that change is needed. It makes no difference to the stronger counties they will continue to have the S8's Teams that win All Ireland do not come from nowhere. Tyrone, Armagh and Donegal were winning Ulster titles and getting to semi finals before they won there titles.

If a team is promoted from Tier2 to Tier1 they will have the winter to prepare themselves for T1 championship and the same with T3 going into T2. Under the present structure a weaker team getting to S8's like Kildare and Roscommon last year will always struggle. Tipperary making the semi final a few years ago is also an example a weaker county under the present system can only advance so far before being beaten.

If there was 10 team in the top tier it would give those teams that are promoted a chance to consolidate. Where round robin is played in County championship promoted teams are seldom relegated straight away again. You see team going from Junior grade to senior grade in 2-4 years and often being competitive at senior level. In counties that play either knock out or 2nd chance teams find it hard to progress as survival becomes more important.

What's your angle here? Are you really interested in the health of football in the 'weaker' counties? Are you from one of them or a 'stronger' county?

Again you are just talking about division 4 teams, do you just want the 8 of them demoted? Using Limerick as an example isn't wise after they just destroyed Tipperary. There is no preparing over the winter to get ready for tier 1, why aren't they doing it now if it was so easy? The truth is, you knock a team down a level, that becomes their level. Look at Offaly in the hurling.

You mention player dropouts but if this travesty is introduced, watch players from counties just outside this 'top 10' leave in huge numbers.

Regarding the lack of exposure for the lower tier Hurling cships, and the obvious fear that this would happen too in a tiered football cship, this is surely largely the GAA's fault. Apart from doing their own promotion and marketing they could insist on a certain level of coverage from the TV companies when negotiating the deals for the big games. The FAI used to insist RTE show so many LOI games as part of their package for the internationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

This is because the current TV deal is not fit for purpose and RTE have always had a hurling fetish. If there is football on the TV, people watch it. I have no interest in watching Dublin games early on as there's no point, but the rest of the Leinster championship tends to be good, Connacht tends to have 3 strong teams and Ulster is great entertainment even if the spread of winners has been narrow for a long time now.

If RTE are to continue to have the main rights, the argument about them looking to maximise viewership is nonsense. People in Ireland pay an extortionate sum for a TV licence, people in the counties with the bottom sixteen should have the right to see their county in action. This simply will not happen with a tiered championship. The only thing both RTE and John Horan care about is money

This is because the current TV deal is not fit for purpose and RTE have always had a hurling fetish. If there is football on the TV, people watch it. I have no interest in watching Dublin games early on as there's no point, but the rest of the Leinster championship tends to be good, Connacht tends to have 3 strong teams and Ulster is great entertainment even if the spread of winners has been narrow for a long time now.

If RTE are to continue to have the main rights, the argument about them looking to maximise viewership is nonsense. People in Ireland pay an extortionate sum for a TV licence, people in the counties with the bottom sixteen should have the right to see their county in action. This simply will not happen with a tiered championship. The only thing both RTE and John Horan care about is money

No they dont have any 'right' as such. Thats a ridiculous notion. Most of these counties will rarely be seen live under the current system anyway.

And our licence fee isnt really extortionate in comparison with other European countries but thats off topic i suppose

People from the bottom 16 counties, or any others, could always get up off their holes and actually go to the games if they want to see them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

All it would take for Leitrim to become successful is for 20 Dublin players to move there, stranger things have happened

Advertisement