Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Ham wars

Options
  • 11-05-2019 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭

I dont think Ive ever seen any food product advertised so widely and consistently on tv/radio as you do ham. Between Bradys Family ham, Dennys Deli style Crumbled Ham, Shaws Hand Carved ham, Carrolls Traditional Ham, O'Heliheys Cooked SLiced Ham, it goes on and on. Rarely a day goes by you dont hear an advertisement for ham but you rarely hear much for chicken, pork, beef, lamb etc.

I cant even remember the last time I bought any kind of sliced ham. Maybe I'm missing something here, is the rest of the nation completely obsessed with ham or something? The amount of advertising certainly seems to suggest so.

Just saw that the company behind Carrolls Ham in Tullamore sold in 2015 for €40m. Is ham some kind of black gold for the Irish? And ultimately who comes out top in the Irish Ham wars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

how many potatoes does it take to kill an Irishman?

None.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

If you ever saw how that “ham” was made, you’d think twice about eating it. Complete shjte

• Registered Users Posts: 20,515 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    If you ever saw how that “ham” was made, you’d think twice about eating it. Complete shjte

I believe it's made from pigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don’t think you’re missing anything OP, you’ve probably just become more attuned to the advertising because you started to take notice.

In saying that though, ham sandwiches are fairly traditional Irish food anyway. I just thought about it there and I’d often have ham sandwiches for lunch, had bacon for dinner yesterday, and pork chops for dinner the previous day.

Now I think of it, I also had two beef steaks for supper the previous night. I don’t plan on becoming vegan any time soon, but maybe that’s why there’s an increasing amount of advertising around promoting meat in our diets, to compete with the constant barrage of nonsense about “adopting a vegan lifestyle” :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

19fe47b0da5e02839db09c7268755234--funny-jokes-too-funny.jpg

• Advertisement

Leave that near me and I assure you it will be missing pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

Stopped eating ham a long time ago. The smell from it when you would first open a packet would turn your stomach. Fried bacon on the other hand i don't think I could ever stop

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Anyone who’s eating that muck thinking it’s some sort of “gourmet” product is deluded. That stuff is sprayed off the pig carcass, swept off the floor and hammered into ham slices. The idea it’s sliced from a pig is laughable.

Some of those competitors are probably getting the processed ham from the same factories and just stamping their logo on it. Brady’s doesn’t run their business out of the grandfather’s shed.

Those lads in factories are smart, they don’t waste anything. The only part of the pig that’s left is the bung, the arsehole. Don’t think there’s a market for it here but places in the States have been getting away with selling it on as imitation calamari but not labelling it as imitation.

The tide is turning…

A family member of mine does occasional work in a pig abbatoir doing veterinary inspections.

The Irish pork crisis of 2008 was caused by industrial oil getting into pig-feed, and it wasn't detected for months. My relative has relayed awful stories about pig carcasses not being properly tested for salmonella, and the test for a kind of parasite (trichinella, which lives under your skin, if contracted and cannot be removed) being routinely ignored.

There's only so much veterinary inspectors can do, because it isn't their job to supervise the lab staff. Thats the role of the QA manager who is an employee of an abbatoir.

Bad practices are an open secret in the pork farming and slaughtering sectors, I can't understand why it hasn't been picked up on by the likes of Prime Time Investigates, or even any young journalist with a bit of curiosity in them.

It's an industry with a disproportionate amount of chancers in it. Maybe due to the intensive nature of the farming, and the fact that its run by a very small number of farmers and processors.

Dodgy AF

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's always some prick with a beard and check shirt or people going to GAA matches in the ads. I always thought the same, this country is obsessed with the stuff. That packet ham is all disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

No it all isnt. Like everything there's ****e and there's good stuff. And there's also stuff in between, whatever you're trying to peddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I believe it's made from pigs.

May contain nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

A family member of mine does occasional work in a pig abbatoir doing veterinary inspections.

The Irish pork crisis of 2008 was caused by industrial oil getting into pig-feed, and it wasn't detected for months. My relative has relayed awful stories about pig carcasses not being properly tested for salmonella, and the test for a kind of parasite (trichinella, which lives under your skin, if contracted and cannot be removed) being routinely ignored.

There's only so much veterinary inspectors can do, because it isn't their job to supervise the lab staff. Thats the role of the QA manager who is an employee of an abbatoir.

Bad practices are an open secret in the pork farming and slaughtering sectors, I can't understand why it hasn't been picked up on by the likes of Prime Time Investigates, or even any young journalist with a bit of curiosity in them.

It's an industry with a disproportionate amount of chancers in it. Maybe due to the intensive nature of the farming, and the fact that its run by a very small number of farmers and processors.

Dodgy AF

I bet you're a beef farmer!?

Tried some Pork Scratchings a few weeks ago. Smell of pig out of the bag and they tasted like shoite, weren't even all crispy but soft like fat.
    Need to be drunk I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

kneemos wrote: »
    Tried some Pork Scratchings a few weeks ago. Smell of pig out of the bag and they tasted like shoite, weren't even all crispy but soft like fat.
    Need to be drunk I imagine.

I thought Pork Scratchings were dog treats. Are you sure they're sold for human consumption ?

I bet you're a beef farmer!?
    ha! I come from a farm but I'm not a farmer. Beef abbatoirs have their own share of scandals, and they've been reported regularly.

Pig farming is different to other types of farming. There are only about 400 farmers in the country, some with thousands of pigs. So when something goes wrong in one of them, it turns into a wildfire.

And as far as I know there are only about 5 pig abbatoirs in the country. So again, if anything goes wrong (and it does), the repercussions are massive.

Combine that with a few dodgy characters / farmers... Well, be careful where you source your pork.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I wouldn’t be a fussy eater at all, but I’ve pretty much given up eating pig meat. And if I do eat it then I buy proper fancy free range and slow breed stuff. Gubeen and the likes. They are lovely animals and I get a small bit depressed thinking about the intensive farming methods used so we can have cheap ham and sausages

• Registered Users Posts: 30,201 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I adore ham cant get enough of it but I prefer the stuff you cook yourself.
    The packet stuff isn't great tough.
    You've to search through packets and packets of it to get a packet that might be okay for a toasted sandwich.
    I never got much good out of Denny or Carroll's tough.

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    I thought Pork Scratchings were dog treats. Are you sure they're sold for human consumption ?

Now!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I wouldn’t be a fussy eater at all, but I’ve pretty much given up eating pig meat. And if I do eat it then I buy proper fancy free range and slow breed stuff. Gubeen and the likes. They are lovely animals and I get a small bit depressed thinking about the intensive farming methods used so we can have cheap ham and sausages

Same here, I saw some piglets playing with each other a few years ago, they're just like puppies. Haven't eaten pork in a few years, I get sad even thinking about their existences :(
    I've never seen free range pork in Ireland mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Denny Fire & Smoke is the only ham I buy. I can't stand the ham that has loads of fat running through it.

pork is the most consumed meat in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

kneemos wrote: »
    May contain nuts.

They wouldn’t be wasting succulent testicle meat on nasty packet ham. Scrotum and perineum, certainly, but the balls would be used for better products.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

fussyonion wrote: »
    Denny Fire & Smoke is the only ham I buy. I can't stand the ham that has loads of fat running through it.

I know some people dont like fat running through it but wouldnt that be a sign that it was sliced off a single piece of the pig like the leg rather than being some kind of factory pressed reformed ham made from all the innards and entrails?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

how many potatoes does it take to kill an Irishman?

None.

How offensive to the memories of those who died during the famine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

ha! I come from a farm but I'm not a farmer. Beef abbatoirs have their own share of scandals, and they've been reported regularly.

Pig farming is different to other types of farming. There are only about 400 farmers in the country, some with thousands of pigs. So when something goes wrong in one of them, it turns into a wildfire.

And as far as I know there are only about 5 pig abbatoirs in the country. So again, if anything goes wrong (and it does), the repercussions are massive.

Combine that with a few dodgy characters / farmers... Well, be careful where you source your pork.

There are loads of approved abbatoirs for the slaughter of pigs all over the country. There's probably 5 alone within an hours drive from my house.

I've bought piglets from one pig farm near Kilgarvan on more than a few occasions over the years and the conditions there are more hygienic than some houses I've worked in.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I know some people dont like fat running through it but wouldnt that be a sign that it was sliced off a single piece of the pig like the leg rather than being some kind of factory pressed reformed ham made from all the innards and entrails?

Once it's all pressed and cooked you'd never know though. Grand stuff.

How offensive to the memories of those who died during the famine

yep thats the idea

• Registered Users Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Muahahaha wrote: »

You'd have to have wonder about someone if they can't tell the difference between a single piece of pig and a Billy Roll.

• Advertisement

yep thats the idea

It's ok, we're the only ones who are fair game these days.

Advertisement