Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIS people returning thread - no Lisa Smith talk (21/12/19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    “Irish authorities are being helped by Danish counterparts to repatriate Isil bride Lisa Smith in a series of high-level discussions between the two governments, the Irish Independent can reveal.“

Why are the Irish authorities so desperate to bring this loon back? Surely she must face justice in Syria first of all?

Because Leo is desperate to one up his idol Justin Trudeau ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

mad muffin wrote: »
    Because Leo is desperate to one up his idol Justin Trudeau ;)

These ISIS wife’s would love to “hang out” with Leo alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

“Irish authorities are being helped by Danish counterparts to repatriate Isil bride Lisa Smith in a series of high-level discussions between the two governments, the Irish Independent can reveal.“

Why are the Irish authorities so desperate to bring this loon back? Surely she must face justice in Syria first of all?
    My thoughts too, should be held by Syrian authorities until full facts of her activities in Syria are determined. But if you read the link below even the Kosovo Jihadi-NATO statelet are jailing the returning veterans for a month.

On that - there's a load of Jihadi and their hangers on bound for NATO statelet in the Balkans, Kosovo.
    https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/04/23/world/crime-legal-world/kosovo-police-quiz-several-women-returned-syria-jailing-jihadis/#.XL8pquhKi00
    NATO just love jihadi's.

The kind of guys NATO likes to enable:
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/isis-fighters-return-to-kosovo-with-a-new-mission-v75gx0hs9

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

presumably the syrian authorities have decided they have bigger priorities?

My thoughts too, should be held by Syrian authorities until full facts of her activities in Syria are determined. But if you read the link below even the Kosovo Jihadi-NATO statelet are jailing the returning veterans for a month.

On that - there's a load of Jihadi and their hangers on bound for NATO statelet in the Balkans, Kosovo.
    https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/04/23/world/crime-legal-world/kosovo-police-quiz-several-women-returned-syria-jailing-jihadis/#.XL8pquhKi00
    NATO just love jihadi's.

The kind of guys NATO likes to enable:
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/isis-fighters-return-to-kosovo-with-a-new-mission-v75gx0hs9

unless the syrian authorities wish to prosecute people, it's not their job to hold foreign terrorists. foreign terrorists are the problem of the countries of origin to deal with.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

unless the syrian authorities wish to prosecute people, it's not their job to hold foreign terrorists. foreign terrorists are the problem of the countries of origin to deal with.
    That's like saying if an Irish person got drunk in Riyadh and bet the ****e out of someone or done a few ould beheadings the Saudi authorities should pack him on to the first Ryanair flight to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

The Syrian authorities should line them up and shoot them.

presumably the syrian authorities have decided they have bigger priorities?

I imagine they broke laws in Syria and Iraq. Why are they then not being prosecuted there? Why should we be paying for the trial and possible prison time?

I imagine they broke laws in Syria and Iraq. Why are they then not being prosecuted there?

you would be best to ask the syrian or other authorities that question. but i'd imagine they just do not have the facilities to do it.

Why should we be paying for the trial and possible prison time?

ultimately because they are western citizens and the syrians and others have the right to deport them the same as we have the right to deport foreign criminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

I imagine they broke laws in Syria and Iraq. Why are they then not being prosecuted there? Why should we be paying for the trial and possible prison time?

We don't have to. But neither do they. They've chosen to deport them instead. So we can either prosecute them or let them go about their lives. Which would you prefer?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,342 ✭✭✭jmreire

There is 9'000 foreign ex.isis prisoners in Al- Hawl camp in Hasakeh. The are from allover the globe. There are many other ex isis fighters in Hassakeh too, but these would largely be Iraq-Iranian- Syrian-Middle East. So if any of these ex-isis fighters have been identified as having carried out atrocities in the caliphate, you can be damn sure that they have already faced justice. But for the remainer of the "foreign" ex isis, without proof of wrong doing, they just want them gone back to their home Countries....Syria does not have either the facilities or the will to do anything other than deport them ASAP. They are no longer Syria's problem after they leave.

• Advertisement

you would be best to ask the syrian or other authorities that question. but i'd imagine they just do not have the facilities to do it.

ultimately because they are western citizens and the syrians and others have the right to deport them the same as we have the right to deport foreign criminals.

If they aren’t capable of bringing members of ISIS to justice, why do our elected representatives have complete faith in them conducting background checks on the refugees and asylum seekers we are taking from there?

If they are incapable of bringing ISIS members to justice, then its madness to expect them to be able to give us background checks on their citizens when they arrive here.

That's like saying if an Irish person got drunk in Riyadh and bet the ****e out of someone or done a few ould beheadings the Saudi authorities should pack him on to the first Ryanair flight to Dublin.

If you commit a crime in Saudi ( and I would not advise it...pick another Country, if you are in that frame of mind !! ) You will face the full rigor's of Sharia Law, as many tourists and traveler's have found out to their cost. Saudi Arabia is fully functioning society, with plenty of prison space always available. Compare this with Syria...the War started in 2011, so has been running now 8 years ( and not finished yet either ), Infrastructure pretty much destroyed,,and about as far away from "normal" as you can get. And that's the reason why all the ex isis fighters will be transferred back to their Countries of origin.

If they aren’t capable of bringing members of ISIS to justice, why do our elected representatives have complete faith in them conducting background checks on the refugees and asylum seekers we are taking from there?

If they are incapable of bringing ISIS members to justice, then its madness to expect them to be able to give us background checks on their citizens when they arrive here.

it's certainly something you should ask the government about. however i would think that perhapse it would be easier to do back ground checks on syrian citizens then it would be to find absolute proof of someone being involved in killing and the rest as part of isis unless there were witnesses. but ultimately i do not know the answer to your question.

From what I understand of the Syrian Refugees that were ( and are ) being accepted by the Irish Government, they have all come from long established refugee camps, as opposed to " Straight from the Libyan Coast ", and they would be able to do some kind of back ground checks on them...also, I think that they prefer family's rather then single people, ( but I'm not 100% certain on this ) I would imagine also that they have been in the camps a long time, some of them for years, so they would have some kind of history. But again....it's a matter for the Government. What complicates it is that it's the 1st time we ( the Country ) have ever been in this kind of situation,,,, and it's still evolving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

jmreire wrote: »
    From what I understand of the Syrian Refugees that were ( and are ) being accepted by the Irish Government, they have all come from long established refugee camps, as opposed to " Straight from the Libyan Coast ", and they would be able to do some kind of back ground checks on them...also, I think that they prefer family's rather then single people, ( but I'm not 100% certain on this ) I would imagine also that they have been in the camps a long time, some of them for years, so they would have some kind of history. But again....it's a matter for the Government. What complicates it is that it's the 1st time we ( the Country ) have ever been in this kind of situation,,,, and it's still evolving.
    You have a lot to learn. There is no vetting going on, and the migrants in question typically got into the EU (eg Greece) but failed to get to their preferred destination (eg Germany) but as neither of those countries wants them, we get landed with them (because our leaders want to be seen as model EU politicians)
    It's the 1st time we ( the Country ) have ever been in this kind of situation
    What situation are we in?
    The Syrians were in a bad situation, but their war is more or less over now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭malinheader

Anyone who thinks background checks are available for these people from wherever they are coming from should ask themselves are these countries capable or even bothered about keeping these kind of records. I think not.
    And anyone who thinks that our government is seriously carrying out checks think again. Was there not a certain Nigerian lady running for an elected post who was then found out to be here illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,730 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There is no "Syrian Authorities", she is in a camp in an area ran basically by the Kurds.

Even if the Kurds were to someone prosecute her they have gone down the path of leniency, she probably wouldn't serve that long if anything at all.

Also our terrorism laws have a double jeopardy clause, if she gets convicted abroad no charges can be brought against her if she returns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

There is a reception center for "underage" refugees from Syria and Iraq just outside roundwood village in wicklow.

they constantly go missing from there and there is not information as to where they go.

some are dropped to clonskeagh mosque and vanish for a few days before returning for a change of clothes and some more money .
    others just tell staff hey are going to england or where ever and are never seen again

these are true facts and reinforce the fears that a lot of people have about these people being brought into this country

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/gardai-appeal-for-help-to-find-missing-wicklow-teenager-892708.html

https://www.thejournal.ie/wicklow-teen-missing-3274093-Mar2017/

http://wicklownews.net/2019/03/appeal-for-missing-teenager/

recedite wrote: »
    You have a lot to learn. There is no vetting going on, and the migrants in question typically got into the EU (eg Greece) but failed to get to their preferred destination (eg Germany) but as neither of those countries wants them, we get landed with them (because our leaders want to be seen as model EU politicians)
    What situation are we in?
    The Syrians were in a bad situation, but their war is more or less over now.

We are speaking about two different situation's here.
    (1) The Syrian Refugees in places like Roscommon. All of these People were taken from camps, and vetted by the UN Refugee Program, before being brought to Ireland.
    (2) People who come here "under their own steam" as it were, and present themselves for Asylum at Airports etc. These people were not vetted on arrival. Maybe after they had applied for Citizenship, some kind of vetting was carried out...I certainly hope so. But it appears that 7/8/9 or 10 years in Direct Provision seem's to do. I just don't know.

The situation we are in is regarding an Irish Citizen who voluntarily left the Country to join an army who have committed atrocities in another Country, and we have no precedent on how to handle this. Unlike other Countries, who do have laws forbidding it's Citizens from joining and fighting with other Army's /Groups in another Country, we do not have these Law's.

The Syrian's are still in a bad situation, The major fighting there between isis, SFA etc. has stopped, but now the fighting over the spoil's begins. Last week serious fighting broke out between Iranian Hesbollah and Russian Soldier's over who controlled a road checkpoint, small arm's were used and rockets also were fired. You can add to the mix Turkey and the Kurds, Israel versus Iran. Assad has given "management " of the oil field's to Russia, Iran is to get huge reconstruction contract's, Israel and Russia both want Iran out of Syria, Iran wants to stay in Syria....So, no, I don't think that the war in Syria is over.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    There is a reception center for "underage" refugees from Syria and Iraq just outside roundwood village in wicklow.

they constantly go missing from there and there is not information as to where they go.

some are dropped to clonskeagh mosque and vanish for a few days before returning for a change of clothes and some more money .
    others just tell staff hey are going to england or where ever and are never seen again

these are true facts and reinforce the fears that a lot of people have about these people being brought into this country

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/gardai-appeal-for-help-to-find-missing-wicklow-teenager-892708.html

https://www.thejournal.ie/wicklow-teen-missing-3274093-Mar2017/

http://wicklownews.net/2019/03/appeal-for-missing-teenager/

Have you any evidence of these true facts? And exactly what fears are you talking about?

• Advertisement

MrFresh wrote: »
    Have you any evidence of these true facts? And exactly what fears are you talking about?

first hand eye witness evidence

the fear that people are accessing Ireland through deception for unknown reasons
    the fear that some of these persons maybe committed terrorists who are using the asylum system to travel and live undetected for their previous crimes in the IS. the fear that they would carry out attacks either here or in the uk using Ireland as a base.

Is that clear enough Mr Fresh ?

first hand eye witness evidence

From who?

the fear that people are accessing Ireland through deception for unknown reasons
    the fear that some of these persons maybe committed terrorists who are using the asylum system to travel and live undetected for their previous crimes in the IS. the fear that they would carry out attacks either here or in the uk using Ireland as a base.

Is that clear enough Mr Fresh ?

Yeah, thanks.

MrFresh wrote: »
    From who?

Yeah, thanks.

well first hand as it would suggest means from me .........

and glad i could help you understand :cool:

well first hand as it would suggest means from me .........

and glad i could help you understand :cool:
    Come on, do you believe your own lying eyes or Mrfresh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

(1) The Syrian Refugees in places like Roscommon. All of these People were taken from camps, and vetted by the UN Refugee Program, before being brought to Ireland.
    In example (1) What does the UN refugee program know about somebody who arrives onto a Greek island with no passport? How can they possibly be vetted when the staff don't even know their real names? Let alone anything about their past. Was this guy adequately vetted before he arrived in Germany?
    Amri was able to register in several places under several different identities, complicating the lives of investigators..
    (2) People who come here "under their own steam" as it were, and present themselves for Asylum at Airports etc. These people were not vetted on arrival. Maybe after they had applied for Citizenship, some kind of vetting was carried out...I certainly hope so. But it appears that 7/8/9 or 10 years in Direct Provision seem's to do. I just don't know.
    In your example (2) here, this is the typical scenario for Africans, not for Syrians.
    The Syrian's are still in a bad situation, The major fighting there between isis, SFA etc. has stopped, but now the fighting over the spoil's begins. Last week serious fighting broke out between Iranian Hesbollah and Russian Soldier's over who controlled a road checkpoint, ...So, no, I don't think that the war in Syria is over.
    A fight between allies does not constitute a war.
    During WW2 numerous fights broke out between American GI's and British or Australian troops, but only when these troops found themselves thrown together far from the actual fighting. So this kind of fighting is a sure sign that the war is over, or else is very far away.

recedite wrote: »
    In example (1) What does the UN refugee program know about somebody who arrives onto a Greek island with no passport? How can they possibly be vetted when the staff don't even know their real names? Let alone anything about their past.

The people I am speaking about ( in Roscommon for example ) are all Syrian, and identified as such. For your info, most Syrian Refugees are in the surrounding Countries... Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, Iraq etc. and the UN are involved in running all of these camps. So how do you know which camp they are from? When a person arrives in a camp, they are registered, and for sure in the camps that I have mentioned above, they will have documentation.So they will have been identified for registration purposes. You will not move outside your own front door in these Countries without Documentation.
    In fact, all of the people who arrived in Greece etc. Had documentation from their country pf origin, but destroyed it when they found out that they could not be returned, if they did not have Citizenship Documentation on them. But the same does not hold true for Syrians in Camps in the surrounding Countries.

Was this guy adequately vetted before he arrived in Germany?

I think I remember reading about this one ( link not working, so I can't be sure) He ( and he is not the only one ) was one of the million who accepted Frau Merkels invitation to come to Germany, no strings attached etc.
    And not to be confused with the Syrians here in Ireland, or in the refugee camps.

In your example (2) here, this is the typical scenario for Africans, not for Syrians.
    Long before the war in Syria... we have had people turning up here in Ireland, claiming asylum. These people were put in Direct Provision center's pending resolution on their claims. Are you suggesting that there is only Africans in those centers?

A fight between allies does not constitute a war.
    During WW2 numerous fights broke out between American GI's and British or Australian troops, but only when these troops found themselves thrown together far from the actual fighting. So this kind of fighting is a sure sign that the war is over, or else is very far away.

Yes I can understand friction between "allies" if only because it is only the circumstances that they were fighting on the same side, under different circumstances ( and especially in Syria or other middle east Country's) they might be at each other's throats, which just underlines the point I am trying to make...but friction is one thing...when it escalates from argument to small arms fire to rockets and mortars....that's war, by any definition. Even if it was short lived...but I doubt very much that it will be the last "confrontation". Syria is swimming in munitions... no shortage of them, and there are load's of local Militia's, armed to the teeth, each controlling their own "territories's".
    The war in Syria might be finished as far as you are concerned, but believe me, the peace has not arrived yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Several of the people in Sri Lanka who died for Islam, were Isis returnees.

Military brains and experience. Contacts for resources and admired by locals for fighting jihad.

Helped build a network, it will not be the last of its kind.

The return of Jihadis after Afghanistan beat the Russians had implications across the world that are still playing out.

One could reasonably argue Isis is part of that.

Danzy wrote: »

Military brains and experience. Contacts for resources and admired by locals for fighting jihad.

The return of Jihadis after Afghanistan beat the Russians had implications across the world that are still playing out.

In one sense.. when the main part of isis were corralled in Syria and had their HQ ( Caliphate) there...they were more interested in having Muslim's from all over the world come and join them. Now that has been destroyed, and they are scattered like seed's all over the World. They are well backed financially ( years of Syrian Oil-kidnapping-antique's-drug's- money) So we have not heard the last of them ( unfortunately ) When I heard about Sri Lanka, my first thought was "ISIS" and they were involved too. When Sri Lankan police and military attacked the hide out of the planners of the attack....they found isis flags and video's, including one showing the leaders of the bombing swearing allegiance to the isis leader, Baghdadi. So no, as you say...they have not gone away, and in fact , they are now in Afghanistan as well...on the positive side,,,, they are fighting against the Taliban LOL Its a strange world......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

In one sense.. when the main part of isis were corralled in Syria and had their HQ ( Caliphate) there...they were more interested in having Muslim's from all over the world come and join them. Now that has been destroyed, and they are scattered like seed's all over the World. They are well backed financially ( years of Syrian Oil-kidnapping-antique's-drug's- money) So we have not heard the last of them ( unfortunately ) When I heard about Sri Lanka, my first thought was "ISIS" and they were involved too. When Sri Lankan police and military attacked the hide out of the planners of the attack....they found isis flags and video's, including one showing the leaders of the bombing swearing allegiance to the isis leader, Baghdadi. So no, as you say...they have not gone away, and in fact , they are now in Afghanistan as well...on the positive side,,,, they are fighting against the Taliban LOL Its a strange world......

One analyst was saying that Isis commanders for years were busy fighting in Syria or running their State, now they can focus on international attacks rather than on people smoking or the sewerage work in Al Jamr being broken again.

Ramadan starts in 2 weeks afaik, that's always an prick month in violence.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »

If ( and it's big IF.. wishfull thinking ) the US had minded it's own business when the Russians were in Afghanistan,,, the whole world would be in a different place. But...after the drubbing the US got in Vietnam ( which Russia helped to inflict ) the opportunity to even the score was too much to pass up on. So as Russia had helped the Vietnamese, so the US helped the Muhajideen ( not Taliban at this point ) via Pakistan ( playing the same game as Russia did in Vietnam ) The result was Russia had to leave Afghanistan.....and mayhem ensued....different factions fought each other for control, and this continued until the arrival of the Taliban from the Pakistani Madrassa's. In the beginning, they were welcomed with open arms, as they stopped the fighting. But then they started to show their true colours with a very fundamentalist version of Islam...and the rest is History......but Imagine, if the Russians had been left in Afghanistan, what the world would have looked like now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement