Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIS people returning thread - no Lisa Smith talk (21/12/19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭jmreire

Does anyone really think that these scum will ever cease to become a threat. I for one think they will always pose a serious and deadly threat to innocent citizens of which ever country are gullible enough to take them back.

I think that maybe 99% of the population would have the opinion that she made her bed, now let her lie on it. But the problem is as an Irish Citizen, and as the law stands, the Govt has to take her back and the other one too, Bekmirsaev from Belarus, who is a naturalized Irish citizen.
    So it's not about choice is it? We are where we are, and until they make new laws with serious jail time, making it an offence to travel abroad and join terrorist organizations, we are stuck with what we have ( unfortunately )

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

jmreire wrote: »
    I think that maybe 99% of the population would have the opinion that she made her bed, now let her lie on it. But the problem is as an Irish Citizen, and as the law stands, the Govt has to take her back and the other one too, Bekmirsaev from Belarus, who is a naturalized Irish citizen.
    So it's not about choice is it? We are where we are, and until they make new laws with serious jail time, making it an offence to travel abroad and join terrorist organizations, we are stuck with what we have ( unfortunately )

we actually can refuse to take back the chap from Belarus because Belarusian is his primary citizenship. Belarus on the other hand will have to take him if the irish government decided to remove his irish citizenship.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

we actually can refuse to take back the chap from Belarus because Belarusian is his primary citizenship. Belarus on the other hand will have to take him if the irish government decided to remove his irish citizenship.

In the case of the British jihadi, Begum, she has Bangladeshi Heritage via her parents, but Bangladesh are not accepting her, so what will happen the Irish jihadi from Belarus, I don't know. Leo has already said the we will take back ALL Irish citizens, either natural born, or naturalized citizenship.The only hope may be that if either of them are accused of any actions which affected American forces, then maybe they could be extradited to face charges in America. More information is becoming available all the time,,seems now that Begum was a member of the religious police, and has been recognized as such. While isis was at the height of it's power,,some local people were keeping accounts of who was doing what....and it's coming to light now. She ( like Lisa) was claiming to be only your average housewife.....just like Bekmirsaev was only doing "ordinary" work like driving.According to themselves...they never were arms carriers..

In the case of the British jihadi, Begum, she has Bangladeshi Heritage via her parents, but Bangladesh are not accepting her, so what will happen the Irish jihadi from Belarus, I don't know. Leo has already said the we will take back ALL Irish citizens, either natural born, or naturalized citizenship.The only hope may be that if either of them are accused of any actions which affected American forces, then maybe they could be extradited to face charges in America.

in the case of the british gihadi, as i understand it, herritage wouldn't be enough to force bangladesh to take her, so bangladesh do seem to be well within their rights to refuse to take her as it seems she wasn't born in the country. i do think in time she will be returned to britain whether britain want it or not as the syrians are not going to keepp her.
    for the Belarusian chap, as i understand it he is an actual Belarusian citizen by birth so Belarus would have to take him if we removed his irish citizenship.
    More information is becoming available all the time,,seems now that Begum was a member of the religious police, and has been recognized as such. While isis was at the height of it's power,,some local people were keeping accounts of who was doing what....and it's coming to light now. She ( like Lisa) was claiming to be only your average housewife.....just like Bekmirsaev was only doing "ordinary" work like driving.According to themselves...they never were arms carriers..

yes i saw the post about her a few posts back there. certainly horific stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 AbyssofPus

Let her return. Then remove her from the plane, and have her executed in a field beside Dublin Airport for high treason. The child then has its identity scrubbed and given up for adoption.

There, everyone happy.

• Advertisement

AbyssofPus wrote: »
    Let her return. Then remove her from the plane, and have her executed in a field beside Dublin Airport for high treason. The child then has its identity scrubbed and given up for adoption.

There, everyone happy.
    firstly, treason is redundant so nobody is going to be charged with it. it belongs in the 1700s.
    secondly, simply executing someone in a field breaches our own laws and quite likely international law as well as it would effectively be murder, and we don't have the death penalty in ireland as it is illegal under EU rules i believe. so she is not going to be executed legally or illegally i'm afraid.

firstly, treason is redundant so nobody is going to be charged with it. it belongs in the 1700s.
    secondly, simply executing someone in a field breaches our own laws and quite likely international law as well as it would effectively be murder, and we don't have the death penalty in ireland as it is illegal under EU rules i believe. so she is not going to be executed legally or illegally i'm afraid.

I think that AbyssofPus was more wish full thinking ( in extreme mode. ) of flying her home, and then executing her in a field ( at least I hope he was..:confused: )
    but such a course would make us no better than isis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

People were charged with treason and executed a lot more recently than that, (but you are right she will not be charged with treason)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_convicted_of_treason

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

https://twitter.com/HaraldDoornbos/status/1117726132323876864
    @jenanmoussa& I have got content VD phone from top #IS-widowed Aiman Abdi from Hamburg!

1000s Pics: Inaima bears weapon, arms own child & marries #ISer Deso Dogg.

That was tweet 1 of 4 (so far)

Tweet 2:
    2/The contents of The Abdi's phone consists of more than 36 GB. A total Of 24,634 files.

Most files are pictures. Those photos were largely made by Aima himself when she was in pro-ISIS scene in Germany (Hamburg/Frankfurt) and when she was sitting at ISIS in Syria.

Tweet 3
    3/Why is this important?

#IS' in interviews, they only tell them what they want to do. "I didn't do anything, I don't know anything" etc. Super Tricky as a journalist to check the real story.

The content of this phone now gives uncensored look into life of top IS-widow.

Tweet nr 4 reads
    4/There is a special website created by @akhbar Hundreds of photos of the content VD #IS phone. Once It is online, I tweet the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

We are where we are, and until they make new laws with serious jail time, making it an offence to travel abroad and join terrorist organizations, we are stuck with what we have ( unfortunately )
    Personally I would not support that, because is think it has been useful to Europe that so many European-born jihadis went to Syria and died there. And even if a few return (mostly widows and orphans) it is still a net benefit IMO.
    In general you can't prosecute people for what they do abroad. I could go to Amsterdam and smoke pot there legally, and then return here. It would be wrong for the Gardai to prosecute me unless I carried some back in my pocket.

Its more important IMO for this state to ensure that returning widows and orphans (if they are citizens) are watched, and that they are re-integrated into Irish society.

In this regard, I'd have a few questions to ask. Did the mother renounce Irish citizenship and take on Islamic state citizenship instead?
    Where is her passport, did she publicly burn it in Syra as part of a citizenship ceremony?
    Does she now have to re-apply for Irish citizenship?
    What is the current citizenship of her child, who has never been to Ireland?
    What school would the child attend? I think we could reasonably put a condition on her return that the child would not attend the Muslim school in Clonskeagh or a similar school, given the particular circumstances.

If the child is to be brought up in Ireland, and welcomed here as an Irish citizen, then it should receive an Irish upbringing, and be brought up as such, and not hailed as the offspring of a martyred father who died fighting a heroic cause in Syria. Because that could lead to further trouble in 20 years time.
    We are only at the start of this, but the French, British and Belgians are into their 3rd and 4th generations of it. It gets worse, unfortunately.

• Advertisement

recedite wrote: »
    Personally I would not support that, because is think it has been useful to Europe that so many European-born jihadis went to Syria and died there. And even if a few return (mostly widows and orphans) it is still a net benefit IMO.
    In general you can't prosecute people for what they do abroad. I could go to Amsterdam and smoke pot there legally, and then return here. It would be wrong for the Gardai to prosecute me unless I carried some back in my pocket.

Its more important IMO for this state to ensure that returning widows and orphans (if they are citizens) are watched, and that they are re-integrated into Irish society.

In this regard, I'd have a few questions to ask. Did the mother renounce Irish citizenship and take on Islamic state citizenship instead?
    Where is her passport, did she publicly burn it in Syra as part of a citizenship ceremony?
    What school would the child attend? I think we could reasonably put a condition on her return that the child would not attend the Muslim school in Clonskeagh or a similar school, given the particular circumstances.

If the child is to be brought up in Ireland, and welcomed here as an Irish citizen, then it should receive an Irish upbringing, and be brought up as such, and not hailed as the offspring of a martyred father who died fighting a heroic cause in Syria. Because that could lead to further trouble in 20 years time.
    We are only at the start of this, but the French, British and Belgians are into their 3rd and 4th generations of it. It gets worse, unfortunately.

I have made the same point many many post's ago...how can you convict anyone here in Ireland on the basis of crimes they may or may not have committed in an other Country ( and a war torn Country at that !!! ) As to what will happen herself, her Child,and Bekmirsaev when ( if ) they return to Ireland I don't know to be honest. For sure though, it will not be a return just to step back into her former Life,,,,,,that's gone, at least for the foreseeable future. And possibly the rest of her life....as such now, she is no longer much use to isis...she is toxic for them, and I can't see her former Irish Muslim friends ( not the isis ones) being exactly overjoyed to see her either....she has blackened the name of Islam in their eyes. Plus she will be watched and her actions monitored, like wise her friends. As for any isis members who got killed in Syria...good riddence. But the main leaders are still alive and well ( Baghdadi especially ) and unfortunately...the recruitment networks are still active, and still recruiting. Losing the caliphate was a major blow to them as a focal point.....but that has not destroyed them, just spread them out world wide, so they will continue to make war. Until isis can be destroyed as a belief system...it will continue. It has to be tracked down in the Mosques and isis Imams identified and removed at that level.

i would be shocked and surprised if she had to re-apply for irish citizenship, as even if she did renounce it, she didn't take on the citizenship of a legally recognized state. she couldn't take on islamic state citizenship as there is no islamic state. islamic state is just a terrorist group so it cannot have citizens or any of the elements of a state.
    i suspect that the child would have irish citizenship via the mother, and citizenship of the country of origin of the father. + possibly syrian citizenship as well?
    i don't know what school the child would attend, i presume it would be whatever school around the area has a place. unless the muslim school is involved in preaching extremism, then there would be no point in preventing the child from attending.

i would be shocked and surprised if she had to re-apply for irish citizenship, as even if she did renounce it, she didn't take on the citizenship of a legally recognized state. she couldn't take on islamic state citizenship as there is no islamic state. islamic state is just a terrorist group so it cannot have citizens or any of the elements of a state.
    i suspect that the child would have irish citizenship via the mother, and citizenship of the country of origin of the father. + possibly syrian citizenship as well?
    i don't know what school the child would attend, i presume it would be whatever school around the area has a place. unless the muslim school is involved in preaching extremism, then there would be no point in preventing the child from attending.
    I agree with you on the citizenship of the child, there would probably be a choice of 3 citizenships available there.
    I don't expect this state to make any difficulties there, indeed they have already decided to pull out all the stops to retrieve her and the child at the taxpayers expense.

There are Palestinians who don't recognise Israel as a state. Its not in the same league as IS in terms of atrocities, but the Jewish State has some parallels to the Islamic State. The main difference IMO is that one has survived, and the other has not.

As for the Muslim school in Clonskeagh, well we don't really know what they are preaching there, do we?
    Dept. of education inspectors went in there and were critical of some things (too much Arabic and not enough English) but they did not attend the religion classes, which are taught by foreign Imams. They only inspected the classes that are subject to the national curriculum, which are taught by teachers on the state payroll.

I agree with you on the citizenship of the child, there would probably be a choice of 3 citizenships available there.
    I don't expect this state to make any difficulties there, indeed they have already decided to pull out all the stops to retrieve her and the child at the taxpayers expense.

There are Palestinians who don't recognise Israel as a state. Its not in the same league as IS in terms of atrocities, but the Jewish State has some parallels to the Islamic State. The main difference IMO is that one has survived, and the other has not.

As for the Muslim school in Clonskeagh, well we don't really know what they are preaching there, do we?
    Dept. of education inspectors went in there and were critical of some things (too much Arabic and not enough English) but they did not attend the religion classes, which are taught by foreign Imams. They only inspected the classes that are subject to the national curriculum, which are taught by teachers on the state payroll.

i see where you are coming from, but israel is recognized by the majority of the world, whereas isis is generally only recognised by their members and sympathisers but not the world. in fact, while they were supported, funded, armed and trained originally by america and possibly other countries, i don't believe they were ever recognized as a state but simply a rebel group.
    it's certainly worrying that inspectors from the department of education can only inspect classes subject to the national curriculum, and i believe that does need to change. however i do think that if there is any extremism being preached in this or any muslim school then we would have some idea about it happening from sources. certainly if any school is preaching extremism regardless of religion or ethos then it should be dealt with and the problem stamped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Am, we kind of do, there is a clue in "Muslim School". :confused:
    Dept. of education inspectors went in there and were critical of some things (too much Arabic and not enough English)

It's hardly surprising nor is it nefarious. There is over 20 nationalities attending the school, around 75% don't have English as their first language.

The Dept. sanctioned 5 more posts to help with the deficiencies.
    but they did not attend the religion classes,

Really?
    The stated key aims of the school include fostering the Islamic way of life, enabling the pupils to develop English language competence as well as accessing the primary school curriculum. The Islamic ethos is clearly manifest in the organisation of the school day and the school
    year.

School holidays are determined by the Islamic calendar of celebrations and festivals and the school day has been extended by 10 minutes. The school timetable provides significant time each day (50 minutes) for the teaching of Arabic, the Qur’an and Religious Education (RE) to all classes.

In addition pupils from third to sixth classes attend prayer in the Mosque on a daily basis and pupils in the senior classes also attend Jumah prayer on
    Fridays.

Seems like they are well aware of the religious education..
    They only inspected the classes that are subject to the national curriculum, which are taught by teachers on the state payroll.

In a full school inspection, the whole school gets inspected not just what is on or what isn't on the curriculum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

AbyssofPus wrote: »

There, everyone happy.
    Let her return to live in Dundalk. Surely that would be punishment enough

Boggles wrote: »
    Seems like they are well aware of the religious education..
    I'm "aware of it" too, but I don't know exactly what they are preaching.
    Dept. of education does not get involved with the religious indoctrination aspect of religious schools. The same goes for all religions.
    What are they saying about homosexuals, jews, atheists, womens rights, jihad?

What are they saying about homosexuals, jews, atheists, womens rights, jihad?

You think the school is teaching kids Jihad? :pac:

Have you any actual tangible proof for your concerns or is it just based on loose ignorance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Have you any actual tangible proof for your concerns or is it just based on loose ignorance?

Love how you ignore the other points and focus on Jihad.

declan2693 wrote: »
    Love how you ignore the other points and focus on Jihad.

Yeah, teaching kids jihad kind of jumps out at you though.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Do you know what jihad means? It is not simply about violence, and there is disagreement within Islam about that and exactly what it means in practice. But even if Islamic schools aren't teaching violence, they are teaching that Islam is superior and will be the dominant religion one day.

I know some moderate Muslims, and the best way I can describe it is as a kind of confidence, a superiority complex. Sure, Islam will naturally rule the world one day because it's just better, they say. It's the religion to end all other religions, and if we heathens don't see that, well, we're heathens, meaning we're stupid, but don't worry, there will be a place for us, below the true believers (dhimmi status). Working towards the ultimate dominance of Islam is jihad, which doesn't necessarily require violence.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    Do you know what jihad means? It is not simply about violence, and there is disagreement within Islam about that and exactly what it means in practice. But even if Islamic schools aren't teaching violence, they are teaching that Islam is superior and will be the dominant religion one day.

I know some moderate Muslims, and the best way I can describe it is as a kind of confidence, a superiority complex. Sure, Islam will naturally rule the world one day because it's just better, they say. It's the religion to end all other religions, and if we heathens don't see that, well, we're heathens, meaning we're stupid, but don't worry, there will be a place for us, below the true believers (dhimmi status). Working towards the ultimate dominance of Islam is jihad, which doesn't necessarily require violence.

I'm pretty she he meant the murdering rampage type. ;)

But I'm failing to see how you are surprised that one religion thinks it is above all others. :confused:

You have heard of Hell haven't you?

bnt wrote: »

The definition of "Jihad" is "Effort", and that applies to any endeavor. Want to stop smoking? Declare Jihad on cigarettes !! Fight the Crusaders, declare Jihad against them. But it's also a name, as in "Jihad Al-Masur". You get the idea, but here in the west, it's normally associated with terrorism or war.
    The superiority angle comes from the belief that the very fact you are a Muslim, that in itself automatically makes you superior to non-Muslim's. And therefore, automatically puts you at an advantage. You, as a Muslim are better than a non-Muslim,and as such they are sub-serviant to you.

As pointed out above by others, the Islamic concept of jihad is nuanced and open to considerable interpretation. As such I'd be very surprised if the Clonskeagh Mosque school did not devote time to covering their own interpretation of it, whatever that might be. Martyrdom in the context of jihad is another contentious one.

Claire Byrne show on RTE Monday night, interview with a journalist ( I think that is what she was ) who went to the camp in Al-Hawl and interviewed Lisa. According to her ( journalist) Lisa regrets joining isis.. was a mistake she said. Want's to come home with her child, and not only wants but expects to be coming home. She seems not to realize the situation that she is in... and how serious it is, and while the entry in to Syria was relatively simple, getting out is anything but. According to the journalist, she wont be coming home for a long time, and a very long time at that, according to the info given to her by the authorities.
    She say's that health-wise, both Lisa and the child seem to be doing OK...the humanitarian pipeline into the camp is now starting to become operational. Given that the camp was expected to cater for max 8-10'000, and now holds closer to 80'000 people... that's not surprising. Infant mortality is very high there and the Journalist, said that there is at least one other child there, who can claim Irish Citizenship, but there may be more. This other child is in a bad way. The program can be watched on the RTE player, if anyone is interested.

Claire Byrne show on RTE Monday night, interview with a journalist ( I think that is what she was ) who went to the camp in Al-Hawl and interviewed Lisa. According to her ( journalist) Lisa regrets joining isis.. was a mistake she said. Want's to come home with her child, and not only wants but expects to be coming home. She seems not to realize the situation that she is in... and how serious it is, and while the entry in to Syria was relatively simple, getting out is anything but. According to the journalist, she wont be coming home for a long time, and a very long time at that, according to the info given to her by the authorities.
    She say's that health-wise, both Lisa and the child seem to be doing OK...the humanitarian pipeline into the camp is now starting to become operational. Given that the camp was expected to cater for max 8-10'000, and now holds closer to 80'000 people... that's not surprising. Infant mortality is very high there and the Journalist, said that there is at least one other child there, who can claim Irish Citizenship, but there may be more. This other child is in a bad way. The program can be watched on the RTE player, if anyone is interested.
    Interesting. With infastructure improving in the camp, there is a possibility it could morph into something as "temporary" as Guantanamo. Being located on disputed territory is useful for the countries funding these kind of operations, because their own domestic laws do not apply.
    A lot depends on Assad's attitude in the longer term, but he does not seem to be in any hurry to liberate this part of Syria. I think he has enough problems elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭Field east

Does anyone really think that these scum will ever cease to become a threat. I for one think they will always pose a serious and deadly threat to innocent citizens of which ever country are gullible enough to take them back.
    (1 ) how will one know if and when Lisa Smith will be de-radicalised? To the ‘experts in deradicalisation’ she will not be a threat to the general public when they are finished wilt her. BUT knowing her life to date, what she was prepared to do and have done , the extremes of that and she is no spring chicken, I, FOR ONE, would be looking over my shoulder , if ever in her presence , to make sure that I do not get attacked by a knife or at worst get my head lopped off.
    (1) Before leaving Ireland, she must have been fairly immersed in the Islamic way of life , what was going on in the Calipate re very strict ‘moral way of life’ - including the beheading of for Eg infedals. Etc, etc. She apparently made no effort to leave the Calipate up to the point when the area she was living in was over run and she was arrested. So WHY DOES SHE OPT TO RETURN TO IRELAND AND INSTEAD OPT FOR ANOTHER ISLAMIC COUNTRY. There are plenty of them. Or maybe she is going to denounce Islam when she returns. ? She has a very wide choice in relation to what she wants re strictness, interpretation, etc if she wants to continue in the Islamic tradition.
    I , for one, would not thrust her the proverbial inch, EVER. It’s nothing personal but given her lifestyle to date it could be too late when one finds out that the deradicalisation did not work

To put the Lisa case in perspective, back in 2017, ( at the height of isis caliphate ) the BBC ran a very good series called " The State". It was about isis recruiting members, and gives a good insight into how they operated. Check it out on google, and you will get the link's to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Field east wrote: »
    (1 ) how will one know if and when Lisa Smith will be de-radicalised? To the ‘experts in deradicalisation’ she will not be a threat to the general public when they are finished wilt her. BUT knowing her life to date, what she was prepared to do and have done , the extremes of that and she is no spring chicken, I, FOR ONE, would be looking over my shoulder , if ever in her presence , to make sure that I do not get attacked by a knife or at worst get my head lopped off.
    (1) Before leaving Ireland, she must have been fairly immersed in the Islamic way of life , what was going on in the Calipate re very strict ‘moral way of life’ - including the beheading of for Eg infedals. Etc, etc. She apparently made no effort to leave the Calipate up to the point when the area she was living in was over run and she was arrested. So WHY DOES SHE OPT TO RETURN TO IRELAND AND INSTEAD OPT FOR ANOTHER ISLAMIC COUNTRY. There are plenty of them. Or maybe she is going to denounce Islam when she returns. ? She has a very wide choice in relation to what she wants re strictness, interpretation, etc if she wants to continue in the Islamic tradition.
    I , for one, would not thrust her the proverbial inch, EVER. It’s nothing personal but given her lifestyle to date it could be too late when one finds out that the deradicalisation did not work

We will soon see what retribution or sentences these murderers get if and when they return, but going on past stupid, soft and weak stances taken by the west I don't think it will be to long before there back out among innocent citizens. There will be plenty of people to feel sorry for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

“Irish authorities are being helped by Danish counterparts to repatriate Isil bride Lisa Smith in a series of high-level discussions between the two governments, the Irish Independent can reveal.“

Why are the Irish authorities so desperate to bring this loon back? Surely she must face justice in Syria first of all?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement