Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saoradh dissident republican march in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

Tomas81 wrote: »
    Any proof to say otherwise?

When you ask for proof:

b6d0nk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

bilston wrote: »
    I had this conversation with a Dublin taxi driver recently. He said he took a fare all the way up to Belfast and got lost and ended up in a Loyalist estate and was very nervous.

The reality is people with southern accents would be absolutely fine in Loyalist areas and people from Loyalist areas will be absolutely fine in Republican areas.

I'm sure there are places where the PSNI still have to tread carefully. The Creggan being a prime example.

I imagine Northern Ireland is a much safer place to be than London

We spend allot of time on he north through sport, most weekends.

Just in the last year I was stopped at traffic lights in a small town, a guy made his way over to my open window and said with southern reg car I wouldn’t be welcome staying about tue town and should move on, man in his 40’s not some yobbo.

More recently our car was parked along a street overnight, only southern car in a row and it was vandalised.

A friend stopped for lunch with his wife and two kids, stopped a man in the street and asked to a bar showing the soccer and serving food, he was told he’d be better go back to the free state and eat there.

If you think everything in the north is antlything but simmering just under a shallow surface appearance of peace then your being very foolish.

Interacting with individuals across all areas and you see the subtle tells, they won’t ask your religion but there are conversational queues they use be that football, Irish dancing, among others. It’s something they want to know about others.

Peace in the north is fragile, very fragile.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tomas81

When you ask for proof:

b6d0nk.jpg

I asked for proof 2 pages ago, poster admitted he had exaggerated I am waiting for proof that the provisional IRA is still operating.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/25th-IMC-Rpt

According to the IMC reports they are commited to peace, have broken down their rank and file structures.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Unionists just targetted civilians, they were terrorists. The British security forces also targetted civilians but occasionally fought the PIRA, the PIRA mostly stuck with military targets. That's the difference set out for you.
    The loyalists were terrorists.
    The British army at times were terrorists.
    The IRA were terrorists.
    Why are you trying to pretend it was something else when everyone knows what it was?

_Brian wrote: »
    We spend allot of time on he north through sport, most weekends.

Just in the last year I was stopped at traffic lights in a small town, a guy made his way over to my open window and said with southern reg car I wouldn’t be welcome staying about tue town and should move on, man in his 40’s not some yobbo.

More recently our car was parked along a street overnight, only southern car in a row and it was vandalised.

If you think everything in the north is antlything but simmering just under a shallow surface appearance of peace then your being very foolish.

Interacting with individuals across all areas and you see the subtle tells, they won’t ask your religion but there are conversational queues they use be that football, Irish dancing, among others. It’s something they want to know about others.

Peace in the north is fragile, very fragile.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/loyalist-attack-on-catholic-actor-filming-in-belfast-1.442557%3fmode=amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/dup-mans-tv-claim-attack-on-catholics-house-not-sectarian-while-camera-pans-past-sectarian-graffiti-was-bid-to-deescalate-situation-37171062.html

Take your pick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

The bottom line here is,if Mary Lou or any political party that is in the Dáil at the moment said every night on TV that if reelected they'd rise defense spending by a few billion,buy tanks and jet fighter planes,bomb the crap out of psni stations and GB army barracks and blockade loyalist areas until all agreed to go back to Britain, what do you think would be the result?
    They'd lose all their seats

That simple fact or any respect for democracy hasn't been absorbed by the groups marching O'Connell street at Easter sympathetic to the 'new' IRA

The funniest thing I saw was how beer bellied and frankly out of shape a lot of the marchers were,Army how are ya

In fact a caption under one of the photos on Twitter summed it up "The men behind the FRYER" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Mortelaro wrote: »
    The bottom line here is,if Mary Lou or any political party that is in the Dáil at the moment said every night on TV that if reelected they'd rise defense spending by a few billion,buy tanks and jet fighter planes,bomb the crap out of psni stations and GB army barracks and blockade loyalist areas until all agreed to go back to Britain, what do you think would be the result?

That simple fact or any respect for democracy hasn't been absorbed by the groups marching O'Connell street at Easter sympathetic to the 'new' IRA

The funniest thing I saw was how beer bellied and frankly out of shape a lot of the marchers were,Army how are ya

In fact a caption under one of the photos on Twitter summed it up "The men behind the FRYER" :D

They're an absolute embarrassment, along with the rest of the barstool 'Brits out' brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,169 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mortelaro wrote: »

Why would they (SF) advocate that? They have gotten the British to say that they have no strategic interest in Ireland and that it is for the people of Ireland to decide it's future.
    If the last 20 years says anything, it is that the IRA have gotten sufficient for them to cease operations.
    It was never the IRA's or indeed the SF's intention to cleanse Ireland of unionists or loyalists as far as I know, but I may have missed that. Do you have a link/proof?

The loyalists were terrorists.
    The British army at times were terrorists.
    The IRA were terrorists.
    Why are you trying to pretend it was something else when everyone knows what it was?

The stats back up what I'm saying.

Unionists - 85% of those they killed were civilians.
    British army - 51% of those they killed were civilians
    PIRA - 31% of those they killed were civilians

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The stats back up what I'm saying.

Unionists - 85% of those they killed were civilians.
    British army - 51% of those they killed were civilians
    PIRA - 31% of those they killed were civilians
    Oh I'm sorry - so that 31% choose to be murdered?
    Did relations of mine ask for the IRA to threaten their property unless they gave money to the IRA?
    Would you go and ****e with your attempt to say that the IRA weren't terrorists? How many innocent civilians that didn't choose to be involved in your campaign are behind those statistics?

Did relations of mine ask for the IRA to threaten their property unless they gave money to the IRA?
    Would you go and ****e with your attempt to say that the IRA weren't terrorists? How many innocent civilians that didn't choose to be involved in your campaign are behind those statistics?

Your relations were asked for money by the IRA?

I never said that the PIRA were angels. They did some horrible things. What I'm saying is that they mostly stuck with military targets, the stats back that up.
    The stats also show that the British side were the terrorists. They targetted innocent people. They killed over 1,000 civilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

blanch152 wrote: »
    That is so last century thinking.

There are so many more important things in life and in the world than whether this country is 26 or 32 counties big.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/local_and_regional_government/local_authorities.html

Given that we now have 31 local authorities, would splitting Tipperary again make you happy?

The current county boundaries were drawn by the British. Something nationalists tend to forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

I asked for proof 2 pages ago, poster admitted he had exaggerated I am waiting for proof that the provisional IRA is still operating.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/25th-IMC-Rpt

According to the IMC reports they are commited to peace, have broken down their rank and file structures.

That link dates back to 2010. However, as recently as 2015 the killing of ex-PIRA member Kevin McGuigan was linked to the PIRA by the PSNI.

They have decommissioned but they have never dissolved and there is no proof their basic structures have been stood down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Bad as their views are i think they have a right to march, unless i'm mistaken they are not designated as a terrorist organization?

Unless they are carrying illegal firearms or engaging in some other illegal activity i don't see a legal basis to stop somebody marching down a public road wearing some military style clothes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭mosstin

Bad as their views are i think they have a right to march, unless i'm mistaken they are not designated as a terrorist organization?

Unless they are carrying illegal firearms or engaging in some other illegal activity i don't see a legal basis to stop somebody marching down a public road wearing some military style clothes

Whatever the entitlement to march, most of those lads looked like they needed a brisk walk or two anyway, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,576 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I find a lot of this “online” support baffling.

I mean, what sort of person, in this day and age, would defend and support groups such as these??

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Yermande

I mean, what sort of person, in this day and age, would defend and support groups such as these??

Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭mosstin

Ben Dunne Gyms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Someone or something like this one would imagine, Emmet.

478514.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

There’s an element out there wearing tin foil hats and waiting for every group that come along to “stick it to the man”.

They don’t care if it’s water charges, repossessions, unionists, nationalists, doctors nurses or guards. They just want to be seen to be anti something organised.

These are the people falling over themselves to support this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

If you take on a uniform of police force or armed forces in a partitioned country you need to be aware you will be attacked. It is inevitable.

So it would have been ok to open fire on the idiots marching down oconnell st last week as they were in "uniform"?

Yermande wrote: »
    Idiots.

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking too, Y.
    mosstin wrote: »
    Ben Dunne Gyms?

Not following, M. Is it something to do with criminality and people getting shot outside those type of gyms?
    Someone or something like this one would imagine, Emmet.

478514.jpeg

Jesus, Johnny, that made me laugh out loud here. Proper belly laugh. From being on here that’s exactly the type I’d picture. Very good.
    There’s an element out there wearing tin foil hats and waiting for every group that come along to “stick it to the man”.

They don’t care if it’s water charges, repossessions, unionists, nationalists, doctors nurses or guards. They just want to be seen to be anti something organised.

That’s just sad, Brian. Just professional protesters with nothing better to do with their time. Losers.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 67,169 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's all very easy to dismiss support for these groups.

But I was suprised to hear a security expert on radio this morning say that they have support in Derry in the 1000 people range. Admittedly Derry is at centre of this as it was in 69 but if that is even gotten close to across the province that is support that can do damage.
    For those of us along the border who clearly remember the conflict/war these are worrying times.

The British army presence is a problem. They are stoking the tensions. Knowing how they behaved in the past, not only the murders but the intimidation and beatings they handed out, they are not looked upon favourably by any Nationalist but especially by those in Derry. Them throwing their weight around will only increase support for these groups like the New IRA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Why would they (SF) advocate that? They have gotten the British to say that they have no strategic interest in Ireland and that it is for the people of Ireland to decide it's future.
    You miss my point
    I'm not saying they'd be stupid to advocate that
    I said any party
    My point is the only voters they'd have left is a few hundred of the 'new' IRA crowd because they'd love it
    They haven't got the memo on democracy yet
    If the last 20 years says anything, it is that the IRA have gotten sufficient for them to cease operations.
    It was never the IRA's or indeed the SF's intention to cleanse Ireland of unionists or loyalists as far as I know, but I may have missed that. Do you have a link/proof?
    Sigh,there are about 1 million Brits in NI,so I'd imagine you know,they take offense at the Brits out and enemy forces lingo used by anyone really
    Its a by the by anyway as my example was to say putting shooting psni to the vote wouldn't win many votes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me. You're dismissing genuine people with genuine issues because you may not agree with them.
    I think shooting some young journalist dead, even by mistake, wouldn't be filled under 'sticking it to the man'.

Creol1 wrote: »
    That link dates back to 2010. However, as recently as 2015 the killing of ex-PIRA member Kevin McGuigan was linked to the PIRA by the PSNI.

They have decommissioned but they have never dissolved and there is no proof their basic structures have been stood down.

Then where is the proof their basic structures havent been stood down

• Advertisement

genuine people with genuine issues

Genuine issues?? Jesus wept.

Have they also got “genuine” aims of bringing back daily bombings, punishment beatings and hundreds of civilians deaths?

Or have they “genuine” concerns over who controls the drug trade and other criminal rackets?

Advertisement