Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saoradh dissident republican march in Dublin

Options
1242526272830»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

They did anyhow.

They did what anyhow?

The Special Branch and Heavy Gang 'upheld the law'??? You are having a laugh now.
    Oh look, another bit of whataboutery...

Are you another who thinks the forces of a state can do what they like (as the British did on the northern side) and should not be held to a higher moral code?

I'll tell you once you tell me of your support or non-support of the Good Friday Agreement.

3 times I have asked now, it appears that you do not support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,906 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

markodaly wrote: »
    They did what anyhow?

They robbed banks and attacked at will across the border.
    The impossibility of policing/securing the border was as impossible then as it is now (thankfully FG has divested themselves of the Conor Crusie types and now fully accept that)
    We invest millions securing a British border that was pointless.

Oh look, another bit of whataboutery...

Whataboutery??? This is what I am talking about, the Irish state colluding in the suppression of nationalist and border dwelling communities.

I'll tell you once you tell me of your support or non-support of the Good Friday Agreement.

3 times I have asked now, it appears that you do not support it.

I fully support the GFA. Always have. You claim to know my posting history, you should know that.

They robbed banks and attacked at will across the border.
    The impossibility of policing/securing the border was as impossible then as it is now (thankfully FG has divested themselves of the Conor Crusie types and now fully accept that)
    We invest millions securing a British border that was pointless.

So I guess because the border was difficult to police we, the Irish State should have let criminals and paramilitaries do what they wanted. Nice logic.

Whataboutery??? This is what I am talking about, the Irish state colluding in the suppression of nationalist and border dwelling communities.

The fact you have to bring in the 'Heavy Gang' into this debate shows us the desperation of the argument.

You do not even know the meaning of the word collusion.

I fully support the GFA. Always have. You claim to know my posting history, you should know that.

Good, therefore you support partition and you yourself are a partitionist.

So I guess because the border was difficult to police we, the Irish State should have let criminals and paramilitaries do what they wanted. Nice logic.
    nobody except yourself has posited that theory.

The fact you have to bring in the 'Heavy Gang' into this debate shows us the desperation of the argument.

You do not even know the meaning of the word collusion.

Yes I do. You can 'collude' in many ways.

The Heavy Gang and Special Branch were an arm of the state...you do know this?

Good, therefore you support partition and you yourself are a partitionist.

I am forever grateful that my right to aspire to a UI is enshrined in the GFA. I will not block that in any way. The very definition of being anti-'partitionist'.

*Glad you have acknowledged the existence of partitionism though.

nobody except yourself has posited that theory.

In your own words, the State enforced the border. That is collusion in your eyes.

Yes I do. You can 'collude' in many ways.

The Heavy Gang and Special Branch were an arm of the state...you do know this?

Yes, but do you have actual evidence that the State colluded with the British? Or are you making stuff up again.

I am forever grateful that my right to aspire to a UI is enshrined in the GFA. I will not block that in any way. The very definition of being anti-'partitionist'.

Yet, partition is a reality until the people will it not to be.
    This seems the issue you cannot get your head around.

• Advertisement

In your own words, the State enforced the border. That is collusion in your eyes.

They went beyond 'enforcing' a border and made life difficult for their own citizens to the extent that they enflamed the situation and added to, rather than lessened the problems/conflict.

Yes, but do you have actual evidence that the State colluded with the British? Or are you making stuff up again.

You can collude by just doing the same thing as the other side is doing, in this case, suppression of nationalist/republican communities. It doesn't have to have an evidential trail.

Yet, partition is a reality until the people will it not to be.
    This seems the issue you cannot get your head around.
    Partition was the reality before the GFA...not sure what your point is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

They went beyond 'enforcing' a border and made life difficult for their own citizens to the extent that they enflamed the situation and added to, rather than lessened the problems/conflict.

It was your heroes in the "armed struggle" who made life difficult for people with border security checks. If there was no Pira armed struggle campaign to drive the British out, there would not have been a need for Garda security. Do not forget a number of Gardai and a fine Gael politician (protestant of course) were murdered by Republicans. Most Gardai acted properly, only a small number colluded with the Pira as shown by the Smithwick tribunal.

janfebmar wrote: »
    It was your heroes in the "armed struggle" who made life difficult for people with border security checks. If there was no Pira armed struggle campaign to drive the British out, there would not have been a need for Garda security. Do not forget a number of Gardai and a fine Gael politician (protestant of course) were murdered by Republicans. Most Gardai acted properly, only a small number colluded with the Pira as shown by the Smithwick tribunal.

So it was all because of PIRA?

That must be why Loyalists with the aid of the British got through to kill and bomb in Monaghan and Dublin and Belturbet etc.

And then the FG government shut down the inquiry into that. You'd have to wonder why, a 'caring' government would do that...could it be evidence of collusion with those who didn't want to be found out?

So it was all because of PIRA?
    The border campaign (late fifties / early sixties ) was because of the Republicans. In the subsequent troubles the Republicans killed more than anyone else, and done the vast majority of the 10,000 or whatever bombings too
    .The other side were not blameless either.

The border campaign (late fifties / early sixties ) was because of the Republicans. In the subsequent troubles the Republicans killed more than anyone else, and done the vast majority of the 10,000 or whatever bombings too

..and there was nobody else involved? They were just killers who sprung up out of nowhere, operated on their own, and then just went away again and we all lived happily ever after?

Jane...nobody but you seems to live in this surreal world, do you ever ask yourself about that?

• Advertisement

..and there was nobody else involved? They were just killers who sprung up out of nowhere, operated on their own, and then just went away again and we all lived happily ever after?

I never claimed they sprung up out of nowhere, or went away fully etc. The new IRA only do what your heroes the Pira did.

I never claimed they sprung up out of nowhere, or went away fully etc. The new IRA only do what your heroes the Pira did.

The British Army do what PIRA did, so do the American Army, random people on the street, ISIS, Muslim extremists, etc etc etc - they kill people to get what they want and then they stop.

Have you any other nuggets of insight to offer?

The British Army do what PIRA did
    You are scraping the bottom of the barrel now to come up with excuses for your heroes the Pira now , and it is like something the new IRA would say too.
    Over 300,000 British army served in N. Ireland, the vast majority did not behave like the Pira or there would have been a lot more people killed. And bombs set off. It was generally the Pira who set off the bombs, it was the army who generally had to try to defuse them or see the pieces of civilians or others afterwards.

Over 300,000 British army served in N. Ireland,

They were there to kill if they had to and they did, and they killed when they didn't have to as well. They are still killing and threatening to kill around the world if they don't get what their master want.

That is reality. Not an excuse for PIRA's existence, who did the same thing.

They were there to kill if they had to and they did, and they killed when they didn't have to as well.

All 300,000 plus ? The British military was responsible for about 10% of all deaths in the conflict. According to one study, the British military killed 306 people during Operation Banner, approximately half of whom were armed. You really think the 300,000 went on a murder and bombing spree to the same extent as the PIRA?

All 300,000 plus ? The British military was responsible for about 10% of all deaths in the conflict. According to one study, the British military killed 306 people during Operation Banner, approximately half of whom were armed. You really think the 300,000 went on a murder and bombing spree to the same extent as the PIRA?

You do know what an army is trained to do Jane? They were there to enforce the will of Westminister and would kill if necessary. And they did do that and they also killed unnecessarily. And they are still doing it, or threatening to do it around the world. What do you think the new aircraft carriers are for? Cruisin' the med?

You do know what an army is trained to do Jane?
    A proper army you mean, an army paid for and answerable to a government?

Not a bunch of terrorists who bomb hotels or pubs?

A proper army you mean, an army paid for and answerable to a government?

Not a bunch of terrorists who bomb hotels or pubs?

Answerable - after 40 years and counting....

And still hiding files on their possible involvement in the deaths of countless innocents in Irish towns and cities. We still don't know the full depth of their collusion.

We still don't know the full depth of their collusion.

Or indeed collusion between other public servants and republicans. Or the Gardai and Republicans (as shown in the smithwick report). We will never know it all.

Have the terrorists shone any light on their many unsolved murders?

Or indeed collusion between other public servants and republicans. Or the Gardai and Republicans (as shown in the smithwick report). We will never know it all.

We didn't shy away from it when it came to light, or try to cover it up and run from it for 40 years.

• Advertisement

We didn't shy away from it when it came to light
    lol

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Feckin eejits egos got the better of them and they allowed MTV to film them in the saoradh offices and then in the same clothes but masked orchestrating the riot, including hijacking and petrol bombing..
    https://www.itv.com/news/2019-05-11/judge-refuses-bail-for-men-charged-with-rioting-on-night-journalist-was-killed/

Advertisement