Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saoradh dissident republican march in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

It's a pity those who pour scorn on saoradh aren't as consistent in their contemnation of their bedfellows in the middle east.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/dissident-party-saoradh-opens-office-in-belfast-35077888.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

Seems fairly clear reading to me.

Success.

6 counties were left behind - Failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

We've a state free from Britain. They succeeded for me anyway.

Me too!....happy to be a citizen of the republic of Ireland and member of the EU:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Tomas81 wrote: »
    All Oglachs are sworn in off the greenbook.

Why do you think this current batch of dissidents would follow the rules set out previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,254 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »

Christ almighty, blaming the PSNI for the journalist's death? Why don't you blame MTV as well?

The person who pulled the trigger had a choice not to. S/he exercised the choice to pull the trigger.

The person who gave them a gun had a choice, so did the people who organised the operation, so do the internet posters who speak out of the sides of their mouths defending and excusing these people and trying to blame others for these despicable actions.

Giving a 'reason' is neither an excuse or condoning.

There is a reason why a British paratrooper opens fire on civilians and stating it would not be condoning it or excusing or talking out of the side of my mouth, would it?

So less of the indignant ranting please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,871 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The PIRA had huge levels of support. Sinn Féin and the PIRA are not the same thing despite the independent telling you otherwise. There's no chance they could have successfully fought a 30 year war without the support. It's why this new IRA will fail.

They didn't successfully fight a 30 year war.

I think by any yardstick, success in a war would be the surrender or destruction of an enemy and the gain or regain of territory and assets. Even as we speak none of that has changed. The Stormont assembly (when its convened) came out of a background of peace and a political process, but you couldn't even describe it as joint authority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

BBFAN wrote: »
    I'm torn on this. Whilst I can't understand why more people didn't stand up to them in the streets of Dublin and Cork at the same time maybe it's better they're just ignored.

If they were attacked it would just feed their agenda.

I'd largely suspect they don't because they feel very intimidated by them. I know I would be fairly concerned about protesting a march an armed organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tomas81

Statement released this morning by the NIRA claiming responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Statement released this morning by the NIRA claiming responsibility.

And dropped like a lead balloon

And dropped like a lead balloon

Yeah ridiculous statement didn't really get into it. Just their volunteers engaged enemy and she was hit. Pretty **** statement didn't explain why the leadership felt it was needed for a young man to go out and fire up a street the width of a lane.

• Advertisement

Yeah ridiculous statement didn't really get into it. Just their volunteers engaged enemy and she was hit. Pretty **** statement didn't explain why the leadership felt it was needed for a young man to go out and fire up a street the width of a lane.

The language seems so bygone "she was standing beside the enemy" etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

I blame those who indoctrinated him, who brainwashed him in to believing it was commendable to attack "crown forces" etc. It was wrong several days ago, it was wrong several decades ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

janfebmar wrote: »
    I blame those who indoctrinated him, who brainwashed him in to believing it was commendable to attack "crown forces" etc. It was wrong several days ago, it was wrong several decades ago.

Yes i agree it was wrong seven days ago, but several decades ago it was the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's victim blaming. That her murder is justifiable because she was standing beside the real target.

They're nothing but scum. Criminals playing at soldiers.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    They didn't successfully fight a 30 year war.

I think by any yardstick, success in a war would be the surrender or destruction of an enemy and the gain or regain of territory and assets. Even as we speak none of that has changed. The Stormont assembly (when its convened) came out of a background of peace and a political process, but you couldn't even describe it as joint authority.

Before the war, Nationalists were living in an apartheid state. Unionists were burning them out of their homes, the British armed forces were shooting innocents dead on our streets. The PIRA slaughtering over 1,000 of them softened their cough. You have to remember the PIRA were fighting the British armed forces, the ruc, various extreme unionist murder gangs etc. Without support, they'd never have been able to successfully take them on.

Pissartist wrote: »
    Yes i agree it was wrong seven days ago, but several decades ago it was the only option.

Several decades ago the ballot box was the answer, not bombing children, shoppers, people in pubs and reztaurants, shooting people in churches. Do not forget the extremist republicans also killed gardai here, killed a politiician here in the Republic, kidnapped etc

Several decades ago the ballot box was the answer, not bombing children, shoppers, people in pubs and reztaurants, shooting people in churches. Do not forget the extremist republicans also killed gardai here, killed a politiician here in the Republic, kidnapped etc

No 20 years ago the ballot box became relevant. Until then the only thing the Brits understood was engagement. Now is not a viable arena for Rned struggle

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Violence is never an answer, but it was understandable, at the very least.

It's one thing to talk about the ballot box, but when the state refuses to allow you to cast a vote, when peaceful protests are met with state-authorised violence and murder, when you are denied the right to work & the right to live peacefully because of your heritage, when your women are raped, your children are beaten, and your friends are murdered, just because they belong to a certain ethnicity...then it's incredibly difficult for the average human being to contain their rage.

There's a reason Mahatma Ghandi is so revered. Because his style of peaceful non-compliance is most definitely the exception, and not the rule. An example of the head conquering the heart and achieving a better outcome.

For most of the rest of humanity, the heart conquers the head when they're being oppressed and brutalised, and we lash out with violence and anger.

Violence and anger are never justifiable. But they are understandable.

These latest idiots though, have nothing. A bunch of scumbags reared on old anti-British stories by scumbag parents, grandparents, uncles & parents. I wouldn't be surprised if half of them are Americans who've been radicalised and come over to fight for something they don't even understand.

Not quite, when you are a second class citizen there is no ballot box. What I believe happened was there was a need for armed protection and it served its purpose until the ira became established and then they effectively became a pain in the hole to everyone, pushing their weight around acting the hard man.

You've basically described the actions of the British side during the war, only they did more of it.

• Advertisement

Any confirmation on whether the British army were involved in raiding houses in Derry?

Any confirmation on whether the British army were involved in raiding houses in Derry?

They have been since 2017. The forensic and Bomb disposal are B.A, they have been on the ground since August 2017

does it matter?

You've basically described the actions of the British side during the war, only they did more of it.
    Wrong again, the security services (north and south) only killed 10% of those killed during the troubles. The 90% were killed by the terrorists.

Aegir wrote: »
    does it matter?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Not sure. I can confirm for you that it was Irish republicans that murdered that young lady journalist though. But hey in your own words a few posts ago these bold republican actions will “soften somebody or others cough”

What happened was a disgrace to the city.

The only people trying to deflect are the branch of republicans r us that murdered the poor girl themselves and the usual suspects on here who might say the murder is wrong,...... but British army, yadda yadda, partition etc etc.

If the BA bomb disposal were there so what... I suggest republicans stop playing with bombs. Because as the whole country knows they have murdered or maimed people in recent times and if you go back to omagh they furthered the cause by blowing up half a town including a few Spanish schoolgirls for good measure.

Maybe they should amend their green book with a few paragraphs about lady journalists and Spanish school girls.....

Not quite, when you are a second class citizen there is no ballot box. .

A few decades ago (when we were talking about) there was a ballot box. There also was a ballot box available to everyone in the border poll in 1973, one vote per adult. Did not matter in that vote if you were rich or poor, Catholic or protestant.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Fcuking utter braindead twats.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You're entitled to your opinion. I don't believe the free state army is equipped for a defence force. Our military presence is shambolic.
    1. where is this "free state" that you mention?
    2. The Irish Defence Forces may have been underfunded but have shown themselves to be an excellent force at peacekeeping, unlike the pond scum of IRA variants over the last forty or so years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

paw patrol wrote: »
    I worry that a member of government who sits at cabinet describes this march as frightening. He shouldn't be frightened , he is a leader of the country and should show leadership, fortitude and all that good stuff.
    Harris is out of his depth.

Also it worries me that government sources are seeking to ban these marches as per todays media. We have free assembly and any dilution of this brings us into the territory of banning people we don't like.
    That will be used on these jackasses (about 150 people) today but others down the line. I always thought Leo was a wannabe dictator and this is evident now.

Which leads me to a final point, the indo said about 150 people march. We shouldn't really lose our minds over 150 people.
    It is frightening that some of our citizens will do whatever they can to try and end an existing peace process through violent means. Do you not think that's frightening?

Advertisement