Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saoradh dissident republican march in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tomas81

Larbre34 wrote: »
    And you'd be wrong. Apart from having no legitimacy in this Republic, they never had anything bar tiny pockets of support. And much of that tiny support was achieved through intimidation, racketeering, extorsion, kidnapping, torture and murder and they perpetrated any number of other completely non-political crimes such as smuggling, money and fuel laundering and despite their statements, drugs.

They were criminal scum, just like this current crowd are criminal scum for which their 'political aims' are just a red herring, only their support now could probably fit on a basketball court and as we've seen, no one is buying what they're selling, nor are they afraid of them.

I can't really take your Irish history lesson serious since you didn't know what Oglaigh na hEireann meant , but anyway I'll combat what I know to be untrue. The provisional IRA had huge support both north and south. If you're a blue shirt it's understandable you'd not of acknowledged support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

Of course they weren't legitimate and they had little support in a divided City and Country at the time, many of whom relied on the Queen's shilling coming back from the Western Front or the pension from their dead sons and brothers. They were spat upon by a divided City and only changed things through their martyrdom. The execution of the leaders was the biggest strategic mistake the Crown made in the previous 150 years of their rule in Ireland.

I mean Jesus, dont come in here pontificating when clearly you've either read or understood very little history.

Just showed up your theory to be nonsense. And I got you to prove it with the above post. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Is this new IRA the ones doing the ATM's to tool up?

Most likely. And they've already said they see Gardaí as legitimate targets in their campaign.

Bambi wrote: »
    Yeah, because the old IRA was all Tom Barry ambushing Tans in country lanes, they weren't shooting off duty cops and civil servants in cold blood or robbing banks and throwing bombs around on busy streets. :confused:

The Old IRA were every bit like the provos, They were just white washed afterwards.

Along with what you've said above, the old IRA disappeared over 100 people, some of the old IRA strapped men to landmines and blew them to smithereens.

MrFresh wrote: »
    Most likely. And they've already said they see Gardaí as legitimate targets in their campaign.

Where? It is in the GB that to engage Free state forces is against army ruling. You'd be court martialled. Can you direct me to where it's said?

• Advertisement

Tomas81 wrote: »
    Where? It is in the GB that to engage Free state forces is against army ruling. You'd be court martialled. Can you direct me to where it's said?

Reported in the Sunday World on the 14th.

??? Please tell me your joking.

So cause the Sunday world said they are targeting police, you believe it.
    I detest the NIRA but Jesus Christ I'm not stupid. What age are you?

Seems like many around here are getting their information from the Sunday world, the independent and the likes! Tells it all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    Another shower of sjws dressed up as soldiers.
    What social justice are they after, exactly?

Why would you think they are following the Green Book?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

janfebmar wrote: »
    During the worst years of the troubles, 1969-1982, their political wing could not get a single MP or TD elected. First SF MP elected during the troubles was 82 or 83, first SF TD elected since the troubles started was not until 1997. So no, the provos did not have "enormous amount of support in the north and in the border counties."

Prior to the hunger strikes the focus was not on the ballot box.

To claim that the IRA did not have a Hugh level of support within their communities betrays an ignorance of the situation. Granted a lot of the initial support came from the fact that the IRA defended areas from marauding unionists intent on burning their Catholic neighbours from their houses. The nasty sectarian state set up for Protestant ascendency had reached it's pinnacle with the RUC content with the development and in a lot of cases facilitating the pogroms against Catholics. Is it any wonder the IRA received widespread support in nationalist areas

Why would you think they are following the Green Book?

All Oglachs are sworn in off the greenbook.

zapitastas wrote: »
    Prior to the hunger strikes the focus was not on the ballot box.

To claim that the IRA did not have a Hugh level of support within their communities betrays an ignorance of the situation. Granted a lot of the initial support came from the fact that the IRA defended areas from marauding unionists intent on burning their Catholic neighbours from their houses. The nasty sectarian state set up for Protestant ascendency had reached it's pinnacle with the RUC content with the development and in a lot of cases facilitating the pogroms against Catholics. Is it any wonder the IRA received widespread support in nationalist areas

2 candidates ran in elections in 81, both succeeded Kieran Doherty TD, Peoples own MP Bobby sands. 30 thousand can't be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

If the Old IRA had failed 100 years ago,Ireland would have left the EU on 29th march as part of the Uk.
    I am thankful to the Old IRA

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Along with what you've said above, the old IRA disappeared over 100 people, some of the old IRA strapped men to landmines and blew them to smithereens.

The guys who did that were probably never in the IRA. The National Army were mostly new recruits or ex British Army. The commander of the Free State Forces in Kerry when Ballyseedy happened was a British Army officer not IRA.

It's kind of funny that with all the huffing and puffing about legitimacy that people forget that the Defence Forces have as little legitimacy to the old IRA as the assorted other flavours of IRA that existed through the decades :o

upupup wrote: »
    If the Old IRA had failed 100 years ago,Ireland would have left the EU on 29th march as part of the Uk.
    I am thankful to the Old IRA

They did fail. The aim was a 32 county republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

They did fail. The aim was a 32 county republic.

We've a state free from Britain. They succeeded for me anyway.

Bambi wrote: »
    The guys who did that were probably never in the IRA. The National Army were mostly new recruits or ex British Army. The commander of the Free State Forces in Kerry when Ballyseedy happened was a British Army officer not IRA.

It's kind of funny that with all the huffing and puffing about legitimacy that people forget that the Defence Forces have as little legitimacy to the old IRA as the assorted other flavours of IRA that existed through the decades :o

Well the free state forces were armed by the British, makes sense that they had British army officers amongst their ranks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

2 candidates ran in elections in 81, both succeeded Kieran Doherty TD, Peoples own MP Bobby sands. 30 thousand can't be wrong.

I know Kieran Doherty was elected in cavan/monaghan but was he a SF candidate or an independent

We've a state free from Britain. They succeeded for me anyway.

They failed in their aims and they left nationalists to suffer in a protestant state which eventually led to a 30 year war.

• Advertisement

I like this going around FB

• Registered Users Posts: 23,871 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I can't really take your Irish history lesson serious since you didn't know what Oglaigh na hEireann meant , but anyway I'll combat what I know to be untrue. The provisional IRA had huge support both north and south. If you're a blue shirt it's understandable you'd not of acknowledged support.

First, I'm well aware 'Defence Forces' is not a translation of Óglaigh na hÉireann, its not meant to be, I'm quoting the officially adopted terminology in both languages since 1924 so let's park that.

What you "know to be untrue" is a matter for your own mind, I'm happy enough to rely on facts. In general elections in the Free State / Republic from 1927 to 2007, Sinn Féin's number of seats never exceeded 5 and in fact averaged just 2. (The Dáil had variously 144,147,153 and 166 seats in that time)

They failed in their aims and they left nationalists to suffer in a protestant state which eventually led to a 30 year war.

Not here though. Ireland isn't part of the UK - success.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,286 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I would believe the Sunday World ahead of some random internet poster who doesn't seem to have much of a clue about anything. And that is a very low bar that you have failed.

First, I'm well aware 'Defence Forces' is not a translation of Óglaigh na hÉireann, its not meant to be, I'm quoting the officially adopted terminology in both languages since 1924 so let's park that.

What you "know to be untrue" is a matter for your own mind, I'm happy enough to rely on facts. In general elections in the Free State / Republic from 1927 to 2007, Sinn Féin's number of seats never exceeded 5 and in fact averaged just 2. (The Dáil had variously 144,147,153 and 166 seats in that time)

Hang on a second you were referring to the IRA, now you've switched to a party who was abstentionist hahaha. Abstentionist was dropped in 1986 leading to the split for RSF. Support throughout the 70s and 80s for the RM was huge I was in jail in Long Kesh and seen the support firsthand within the jail of letters then on release the growth. Large districts completely under the command of RM. So maybe part your "Facts" as they are BS.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I would believe the Sunday World ahead of some random internet poster who doesn't seem to have much of a clue about anything. And that is a very low bar that you have failed.

Hahahaha really. That's good what do I not have much a clue about?

The PIRA had huge levels of support. Sinn Féin and the PIRA are not the same thing despite the independent telling you otherwise. There's no chance they could have successfully fought a 30 year war without the support. It's why this new IRA will fail.

Not here though. Ireland isn't part of the UK - success.

Part of Ireland is still part of the UK - failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,286 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

And the acts of the crown forces (who these 'lads' object to) had nothing to do with this?

The GFA didn't get the agreement of all. We all know this, why the surprise? You were told this would happen.

Christ almighty, blaming the PSNI for the journalist's death? Why don't you blame MTV as well?

The person who pulled the trigger had a choice not to. S/he exercised the choice to pull the trigger.

The person who gave them a gun had a choice, so did the people who organised the operation, so do the internet posters who speak out of the sides of their mouths defending and excusing these people and trying to blame others for these despicable actions.

• Advertisement

Part of Ireland is still part of the UK - failure.

The State

article 4
    The name of the state is Éire, or, in the english
    language, Ireland.

article 5
    ireland is a sovereign, independent, democratic state.

Seems fairly clear reading to me.

Success.

Advertisement