Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What practice/beliefs make you instantly lose respect for someone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

People who dislike people for disliking things that they don't particularly dislike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Grayson wrote: »
    There have been people saying "people who are into politics, religion, football and loads of stuff.

I think the thing is when they try and make their interest into your interest. If they're the kind of person who can't have a conversation without mentioning football, politics etc. If they're the kind of person who can turn any topic into a discussion about their topic. That's where it gets annoying.

I agree. You might have to tease it out a bit to see what someone is interested in but it should be pretty clear after a while if they have no interest whatsoever and you should then drop that topic. That said there are plenty out there who clearly don't have an interest in anything at all and that is bloody tough to deal with too. A bit like your man Stone in Fr. Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Sorry not checking 35 pages to see if been mentioned, but more American pharses:

* reach out - seeing this more and more, on here too
    * holler - knew a guy how said that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,802 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mayo instead of mayonnaise.

'slaw instead of coleslaw.
    CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Can't stand that. You always get it in hipsterish BBQ joints.

"Hey Broseph, you want slaw with that?" - as if they just got in from Baton Rouge, Louisiana with this new invention we'd never heard of and everyone in Ireland hasn't been munching culchie caviar since time began.

I hate the expression Mayo for anything other than the county.

But coleslaw, in my world, means, specificall,y shredded white cabbage and grated carrots bound with mayonnaise.
    I regularly make "grated raw vegetable salads" that, in my book, are not coleslaw. I refer to these as "slaw" but not coleslaw.
    What should I be calling these?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

lawred2 wrote: »
    never heard one single person say that

Lucky you.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Suckler

Sorry not checking 35 pages to see if been mentioned, but more American pharses:

* reach out - seeing this more and more, on here too
    * holler - knew a guy how said that

Haven't hear 'holler' yet but "reach out' has been around a while.
    One creeping in more and more is "Calling people out on.." or "They called him out on his behaviour". P1ss off.

Yes and commonly used word in everyday language in the British Isles along with Boutique, Souvenir, Fiancé, Brunette, Depot, Petite etc etc.

Creche is also in the Collins English dictionary.

& how do you think it got into everyday use?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Anyone who parrots anything Gemma O'Doherty says, they are clearly hard of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Suckler wrote: »
    Haven't hear 'holler' yet but "reach out' has been around a while.
    One creeping in more and more is "Calling people out on.." or "They called him out on his behaviour". P1ss off.

Yeah forgot that one too. I think these deserve more annoyance - I'd upgrade from P off level to F off level!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I hate the expression Mayo for anything other than the county.

But coleslaw, in my world, means, specificall,y shredded white cabbage and grated carrots bound with mayonnaise.
    I regularly make "grated raw vegetable salads" that, in my book, are not coleslaw. I refer to these as "slaw" but not coleslaw.
    What should I be calling these?

I would probably call them.... salads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

RCK1 wrote: »
    -Any type of racism or discrimination particularly -"I'm noy racist but...."still racism

I hear that a lot, but i am hearing it more so from people trying to have a genuine conversation about Pedophile Rings in the UK made up primarily of Asian Muslims.

Yet they are called racist form stating facts, and wanting to know why those type of criminal groups are predominantly Asian Muslims.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/grooming-gangs-asian-muslim-across-country-uk-girls-children-women-bradford-rotherham-newcastle-a7987381.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-45980210

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-45918845

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3526531/rochdale-grooming-gang-men-guilty-sex-abuse/

bubblypop wrote: »
    & how do you think it got into everyday use?

I suppose it was coined from the French at some stage.
    That doesn't mean we need to copy the full vocabulary from the US/ Canada. For all the words I initially mentioned that I annoyed to hear people use everyday like they have being around forever we have perfectly good alternative words that have being used on the British Isles for many years. In keeping with the ask of the thread it is a practice that somewhat makes me loose respect for someone on a certain level and hence I pointed it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I hear that a lot, but i am hearing it more so from people trying to have a genuine conversation about Pedophile Rings in the UK made up primarily of Asian Muslims.

Yet they are called racist form stating facts, and wanting to know why those type of criminal groups are predominantly Asian Muslims.

Being concerned about child abuse rings is understandable. Wondering why the perpetrators are a particular race or religion... nah, that actually is racism/Islamophobia. We had many pedophile rings in the past in Ireland and Britain (and Australia, and the US, and...) but the perpetrators weren't Asian or Muslim. They are in the news still for trying to cover it up, though. Aren't your friends concerned about that at all?

Being concerned about child abuse rings is understandable. Wondering why the perpetrators are a particular race or religion... nah, that actually is racism/Islamophobia. We had many pedophile rings in the past in Ireland and Britain (and Australia, and the US, and...) but the perpetrators weren't Asian or Muslim. They are in the news still for trying to cover it up, though. Aren't your friends concerned about that at all?

Those rings had the Catholic church involved. But those more recent rings in the UK are predominantly Asian Muslims(that's a fact) also these particular style of rings seem to be unique to Asian Muslims in the UK (again another fact) but being called a racist for trying to figure why this community is afflicted by such groups needs to be discussed. The same way it's getting discussed by the west about the Roman Catholic Church abuse.

But sure you can't be racist or a catholicphobic against white wrstern's

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Any journalist using the phrase "travelling crime gang" instead of calling it what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/grooming-gangs-asian-muslim-across-country-uk-girls-children-women-bradford-rotherham-newcastle-a7987381.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-45980210

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-45918845

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3526531/rochdale-grooming-gang-men-guilty-sex-abuse/

Add in people who decide to grind their racist axe in an unrelated threat. It's obsessive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Spelling/punctuation mistakes.

Grayson wrote: »
    Add in people who decide to grind their racist axe in an unrelated threat. It's obsessive

Fair enough, close your eyes and put your fingers in your ears if you don't wish to have an actual conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Undividual

Belching loudly for attention. You know the ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

People who only use the word 'super' as a descriptor. No other adjective, adverb or superlative in their vocabulary. It's a North American thing that's beginning it's inevitable drift this way.
    E.G.: "The airport was super busy. The flight wasn't super long but there was a super long queue for the taxis. My bags were super heavy but the driver was super helpful. I was super hungry when I got home so had a super big meal then had a super hot shower and went to bed. I was super refreshed when I woke up'.

Fcuk Off and get a super large thesaurus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Sardonicat wrote: »
    People who only use the word 'super' as a descriptor. No other adjective, adverb or superlative in their vocabulary. It's a North American thing that's beginning it's inevitable drift this way.
    E.G.: "The airport was super busy. The flight wasn't super long but there was a super long queue for the taxis. My bags were super heavy but the driver was super helpful. I was super hungry when I got home so had a super big meal then had a super hot shower and went to bed. I was super refreshed when I woke up'.

Fcuk Off and get a super large thesaurus!

Another Americanism that's creeping in here that boils my p!ss!

It's super annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

People who spell lose as loose

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭pgj2015

people who leave really stupid youtube comments, examples would be countless people wrote "proud to be Irish" under that damo and ivor drinking song from a few years back, why would that video make you proud to be Irish.

people who post lines from youtube videos in the comments section, yes we know what they have just said in the video, why are you posting it in the youtube comments section?

People who eat lots of meat and who consciously eat a low-carb high-protein diet, even though if we all wanted to do that their either wouldn't be enough animals to go around or more would need to be brought into existence to be killed for the vanity of these people. Although if somebody did this before 2011 or so it doesn't bother me because at least such people were rarer then and therefore before their time.

People who flush the toilet after peeing, take long showers, leave the water running while brushing their teeth, or otherwise show no concern for the fact clean water is limited and requires energy to make clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭pgj2015

people who spend all day, every day in the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Idiots who think they are American.

No its not "day care". Your Irish and live in Ireland.... its a creche.
    No its not a "shopping kart". Your Irish and live in Ireland... its a shopping trolley.
    No its not "Fall". Your Irish and live in Ireland... its Autumn.
    No its not "the trunk". Your Irish and live in Ireland... its the boot.
    No your not a "jerk". Your Irish and live in Ireland...your a bollix.
    Whether we like it or not, we are heavily influenced by Americanisms because of the sheer volume of tv shows and films they produce, which we watch. I grew up using "dude" because I was brainwashed by the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :p I get lift/elevator mixed up all the time. I can understand their sayings slowly creeping into our vocabulary but if any Irish person ever calls St Patrick's day, "St Patty's day" they should immediately be shot with a ball of their own sh!te for treason :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

People who eat lots of meat and who consciously eat a low-carb high-protein diet, even though if we all wanted to do that their either wouldn't be enough animals to go around or more would need to be brought into existence to be killed for the vanity of these people. Although if somebody did this before 2011 or so it doesn't bother me because at least such people were rarer then and therefore before their time.

People who flush the toilet after peeing, take long showers, leave the water running while brushing their teeth, or otherwise show no concern for the fact clean water is limited and requires energy to make clean.

People who flush the toilet after peeing is a hell of a lot of us.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Whether we like it or not, we are heavily influenced by Americanisms because of the sheer volume of tv shows and films they produce, which we watch. I grew up using "dude" because I was brainwashed by the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :p I get lift/elevator mixed up all the time. I can understand their sayings slowly creeping into our vocabulary but if any Irish person ever calls St Patrick's day, "St Patty's day" they should immediately be shot with a ball of their own sh!te for treason :pac:

To be quite honest the likes of "dude" wouldn't be inclined to bother me so much as you might argue that there is no directly equivalent word for it. Elevator moreso would but not to the same extent as the words I originally provided for, for some reason. The likes of "Day care" on the other hand is one you would really need to think about to come up with if you weren't from North America as its just simply never used here and the obvious choice of creche is so apparent. Hence why it annoys me so much.

I haven't heard anyone using St. Patty's day here.....yet. On a side note "Paddy's day" is another practice that helps make me loose a certain element of respect for someone. It was always Patricks Day up until a few years back it seemed "Paddy's day" came into force and that was hip all of a sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

People are apparently now having parties for their non-religious children around the time when children are having their first communion because they do not want their child to miss out on having a party of their own.

Keeping up with the Jones's = the fastest growing religion in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Leftist assholes..they’re so busy being modern that they don’t realize they’re going backwards!! If one accuses a person of something without foundation... it doesn’t matter... all their pc friends are ready to vilify and destroy that person cause their open minded friend says so!!!! Hypocrisy!

Advertisement