Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What practice/beliefs make you instantly lose respect for someone?

Options

Comments

conspiracy theorists
    anti paying for anything pbp crew
    freemen
    catholicism as anything but a personal/private individual belief system
    nationalism of pretty much any sort

i do get a lil f*cked off at extremely right-on lefties but im probably ok with their beliefs as opposed to the traits often exhibited in expressing them

edit: anything incel or mra related and I have an instant reaction of pity/horror

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Anyone who can easily throw in a personal hurtful dig during a bit of banther.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

chelsea supporter

As Gandhi would say 'I don't like Arsenal since I'm a Spurs supporter. I don't like Chelsea because I'm a human being.'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

People are apparently now having parties for their non-religious children around the time when children are having their first communion because they do not want their child to miss out on having a party of their own.

Keeping up with the Jones's = the fastest growing religion in the world.

How is that any different from the huge percentage of kids who make their communion just because it's the done thing?

If anything it's less hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Being concerned about child abuse rings is understandable. Wondering why the perpetrators are a particular race or religion... nah, that actually is racism/Islamophobia. We had many pedophile rings in the past in Ireland and Britain (and Australia, and the US, and...) but the perpetrators weren't Asian or Muslim. They are in the news still for trying to cover it up, though. Aren't your friends concerned about that at all?

What an absolute pile of shíte!

There has been mountains of coverage, scandal, investigation and so on into catholic abuse of kids. You don't think people wondered what is it about the lives of catholic priests that seems to spark vile behaviour? Racism or just normal common or garden reasoning?

Nobody is picking on the poor Asians or Muslims.

Stop abusing kids and most people don't give a rats arse where you're from, the colour of your skin, or what your imaginary friend is called!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Yermande

People who put their bags on train/bus seats and won’t move until someone has to ask can they sit there
    Ditto people who sit o the outside of the row when the inside is vacant

I have a lot of train issues

They're very different things in fairness. Some people prefer an aisle seat which is absolutely fine in my book, whereas someone needlessly occupying a vacant seat is being a selfish dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Open borders advocates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

conspiracy theorists
    anti paying for anything pbp crew
    freemen
    nationalism of pretty much any sort

i do get a lil f*cked off at extremely right-on lefties but im probably ok with their beliefs as opposed to the traits often exhibited in expressing them

edit: anything incel or mra related and I have an instant reaction of pity/horror
    Yeah those incels and MRA lads are literally exactly the same :rolleyes:

Damn any men looking for decent visitation rights to his own children.
    Oh the pity! the horror!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

conspiracy theorists

Except when the conspiracy theory is itself dangerous (anti vac) I don’t see the problem here. If only most people believed 9/11 was an inside job in 2003 there might be 1 million more people alive in Iraq. Instead 50% believed that Iraq did it.

Just Catholicism?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Gaa fans who let out a roar before the end of the national anthem at matches; so disrespectful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Anyone whos a Donald Trump supporter. Im no lefty , but all the crap/ lies that come out of his mouth, you'd have to be a bit of a mongo to support him

• Registered Users Posts: 21,826 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

People who don't wipe their feet on the mat coming into the house . Just traipse all the dirt and muck all over the place .... *********

• Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

People are apparently now having parties for their non-religious children around the time when children are having their first communion because they do not want their child to miss out on having a party of their own.

People having their children receive Communion and Confirmation yet haven’t seen the inside of a church since their Baptism. Hypocrites.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Brexiters.

Irexiters are even worse.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Grayson wrote: »
    There have been people saying "people who are into politics, religion, football and loads of stuff.

I think the thing is when they try and make their interest into your interest. If they're the kind of person who can't have a conversation without mentioning football, politics etc. If they're the kind of person who can turn any topic into a discussion about their topic. That's where it gets annoying.

that's me with the band killing joke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Might say more about me than them, but if I see someone checking social media, news, etc. on their phone while driving, I assume they've no attention span and are probably a bit thick. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Gun nuts. Esp the fetishism over guns that exists in the US.
    Not far off of actually humping the things.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Gun nuts. Esp the fetishism over guns that exists in the US.
    Not far off of actually humping the things.
    John Oliver did a show about the NRA pretty scary, they have serious clout.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEcbagW4O-s
    NRA TV....looks utterly crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭micks_address

Last year a colleague at work who was from a different country was campaigning for a no vote in the abortion referendum. They didn't even have a vote and their reasoning was girls would be getting pregnant every night in coppers without a care in the world as they'd be able to get a free abortion a few weeks later.. kinda haven't respected them the same since

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

Religious beliefs especially islam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

gmisk wrote: »
    John Oliver did a show about the NRA pretty scary, they have serious clout.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEcbagW4O-s
    NRA TV....looks utterly crazy

The NRA advocates for gun training and safety. There are ZERO members of the NRA or gun nuts as you call the guilty of school shootings or similar mass attacks.

But you watch John Oliver so I'm guessing you're a Trump hating, MSM watching drone.

How did that Russian conspiracy theory work out for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

The NRA advocates for gun training and safety.

Yes, yes they do.

And advocates against any form of gun control, up to an including restricting people with mental illness from owning guns.

Don't forget that bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

People who are rude to waiting staff or cleaners. Speaks volumes about them imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Believe it or not, it was the organised religions who robbed the concept of 'having parties' for children at particular stages of their development. Pagan peoples all over the world have had ceremonies to mark when children enter adulthood since time immemorial.

Fair dues to the atheists for robbing the concept back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

spurious wrote: »
    People who are rude to waiting staff or cleaners. Speaks volumes about them imo.

I think John Major said that he could always judge a person's character from the way they treated the waiting staff at a restaurant.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good" - Samuel Johnson.

Anyone rude or dismissive to waiting staff, or who ignores the checkout person, or who doesn't say thank you when receiving a courtesy has revealed the measure of themselves. People with no manners do not get my respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Middle aged men arguing about English football

I was having a quiet pint in my local and there was a funeral afters on. One chap left in a huff as he was getting cheek due to his team losing at the weekend. His team that if he ever visits he’ll be a tourist

Others kissing badges and calling others Manc scum or scouser

Ye are from Athlone lads

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Middle aged men arguing about English football

I was having a quiet pint in my local and there was a funeral afters on. One chap left in a huff as he was getting cheek due to his team losing at the weekend. His team that if he ever visits he’ll be a tourist

Others kissing badges and calling others Manc scum or scouser

Ye are from Athlone lads

Yeah- pity their not as passionate or supportive of the League of Ireland.

Pissed me right off 25 years ago when our local soccer team started. The local GAA Taliban did all they could to stop it ("foreign game bull****"). These same fcukers were glued to Sky Sports every weekend and lifelong ManU/Liverpool etc supporters. They even went to games in England several times a season.

You couldnt make it up.

Actually I find the whole love in Irish football supporters have for English football teams just downright embarrassing. I really do.

My wife is English and I really do cringe when I am back home in a pub/bar etc its just wall to wall English football. I mean if I was her I'd be thinking what's the effing difference between here and England? And if it is not football it's effing Coronation Street or Eastenders or at Christmas bloody darts from London.

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good" - Samuel Johnson.

Anyone rude or dismissive to waiting staff, or who ignores the checkout person, or who doesn't say thank you when receiving a courtesy has revealed the measure of themselves. People with no manners do not get my respect.

I agree with you 100% but funnily enough I have heard foreigners commenting on how the Irish will thank the bus driver when alighting and how strange that is.

I used to go out with a Spanish girl and in bars I would say out of habit: "Can I have a Guinness please".

Her initial response would be: "Well yes you certainly can. Would you like a Guinness?"

She found that strange that I would ask as opposed to "Get me a Guinness please" or "I will have a Guinness" which is what they would say in Spain.

Advertisement