Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madeleine McCann

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Wasn’t it tested months later, after they’d had their hair cut?

Tested September, five months after the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Something Else
    cnocbui wrote: »
    What evidence do you have that allows you to objectively assess the quality of training of the Portuguese SAR and sniffer dogs vs the training of the UK dogs and conclude that the training of the Portuguese dogs is inferior?

It doesn't strike you as odd that the Portuguese have trained sniffer and SAR dogs that never find anything and have never proved beneficial because they are poorly trained, and yet they haven't copped on?

If the Portuguese police engaged dogs who had never found anything or proved beneficial, that would certainly be strange, but I don't see anyone on this thread suggesting that.

What exact motive are you imputing to the Portuguese police in enlisting these dogs from the UK? They brought them in to frame Madeleine's parents? If so, they must have either known in advance that the dogs would have reacted the way they did, which is impossible, or else they were in collaboration with the British authorities to frame the McCanns, which seems utterly implausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

She wandered out herself, something happened (car accident/paedo)
    The cadaver and blood dogs aren’t being considered evidence??

I think the dog handler himself said that you wouldn't treat it as evidence in itself, but it should be used to point investigators in a particular direction to look for evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,956 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The cadaver and blood dogs aren’t being considered evidence??

Of course not. The purpose of such dogs is to specifically indicate places where investigators should look for forensic evidence like blood or bodily tissues, bones or fluids that might contain DNA, or perhaps where to find an entire body.

The dogs are an aid to finding evidence - they don't provide the evidence.

Phoebas wrote: »
    I think the dog handler himself said that you wouldn't treat it as evidence in itself, but it should be used to point investigators in a particular direction to look for evidence.

I can't find anything to confirm this, but a site claims Grimes said such:
    Finally I would like to draw your attention to a report by retired police officer / dog handler “Martin Grimes” in respect of the cadaver dogs used in the search for Madeleine McCann he CLEARLY states that there was “No proof of death or any certainty of cadaver scent having been detected by the dogs ‘Eddie and Keela’.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

id say people should think ignoring all the netflix pr crap or youtube nonsense consiracy theories, does anyone believe that those two without any sense or brains could actually pulled of somehow killing their own child, covering it up, making a pact, hiding the body and making it to the restaurant in matter of 3-4 hours at most as if nothing had happened.

they were negligent on many accounts to the point where if it was any other family they would prob face jail time and kids taken away in likes of UK. For creating such a loose situation where anyone could walked into apartment within minutes or seconds robbed it or kidnap child and be gone to never be found.

a lot of wrongs were done but all of which was due to parents being reckless.

as all theories aside its way to small window to fabricate kidnap, distances would been minimal and scouted many times for evidence, yet none of it ever proved any results.

sure thing that they created perfect scenario for disaster - and are only ones to blame really is themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Tested September, five months after the event.

Four months actually. Even if it was five months, that is well within the timeframe for drug testing: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1570315/Madeleine-McCanns-mother-takes-drug-test.html

Edward Smethurst, the lawyer coordinating the McCanns' defence, said: "Hair grows by about a centimetre a month so if you have eight centimetres of hair, you can test for drugs going back eight months.
    "With the appropriate, fully-accredited experts, hair samples were taken from Sean, Amelie and Kate and the conclusion was no evidence of sedatives or drugs were found.

cnocbui wrote:
    I can't find anything to confirm this, but a site claims Grimes said such:

What site would that be?

What site would that be?

https://andrearlesmanashay.wordpress.com/2014/10/04/are-cadaver-dogs-reliable/

As I said, I can't confirm that Grimes actually said that since no source is given.

cnocbui wrote: »
    https://andrearlesmanashay.wordpress.com/2014/10/04/are-cadaver-dogs-reliable/

As I said, I can't confirm that Grimes actually said that since no source is given.

I'm almost sure he mentions in it in the Netflix Documentary too. He says the dogs in themselves cannot be relied upon as evidence, but they can give investigators a lead in where to look....or something similar.

In this case, they took DNA from where the dogs indicated and nothing conclusive was found at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Can the dna evidence be retested given we probably have better science and techniques available now?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

cnocbui wrote:

Seems it is a blogger making the claim with no back up .

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Something Else
    scamalert wrote: »
    does anyone believe that those two without any sense or brains could actually pulled of somehow killing their own child, covering it up, making a pact, hiding the body and making it to the restaurant in matter of 3-4 hours at most as if nothing had happened.

Well a child vanishing in these circumstances is an unlikely situation from the start, regardless of who was responsible.

Four months actually. Even if it was five months, that is well within the timeframe for drug testing:

3rd of May to the 24th of September closer to 5months. The twins had their hair cut during that time period also not all drugs are detectable after a few months .

I'm almost sure he mentions in it in the Netflix Documentary too. He says the dogs in themselves cannot be relied upon as evidence, but they can give investigators a lead in where to look....or something similar.

In this case, they took DNA from where the dogs indicated and nothing conclusive was found at all.

The DNA thing is a red herring. As you say, the DNA discovered was less than a single human cells worth and could have come from any of the McCanns and even unrelated people. You are correct; In the PJ official files, Grimes does state that barking isn't evidence:
    It is my view that it is possible that the EVRD is alerting to cadaver scent contamination. No evidential or intelligence reliability can be made from this alert unless it can be confirmed with corroborating evidence.
    http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/MARTIN_GRIMES.htm
    Can the dna evidence be retested given we probably have better science and techniques available now?

No, the DNA was destroyed by the testing and there was too little of it to be of any use anyway.
    Seems it is a blogger making the claim with no back up .

Did I claim otherwise? However, see the above link to where Grimes does actually say something very similar.

cnocbui wrote:
    Did I claim otherwise? However, see the above link to where Grimes does actually say something very similar.

I read what Grimes said and it is not the same as the blogger you quoted claimed. Similar does not mean the same.

3rd of May to the 24th of September closer to 5months. The twins had their hair cut during that time period also not all drugs are detectable after a few months .

Hair grows from the root, so hair cuts are largely irrelevant when it comes to drug testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Can't link off my phone but not terribly difficult to Google it. As an aside must be something good about UK trained sniffer dogs. Another team of British sniffer dogs were used again to search areas around P de L in 2014 .

The McCanns didnt request the dogs. They reportedly were actually a bit nervous about the introduction of the dogs in the search.

Gringo180 wrote:
    The McCanns didnt request the dogs. They reportedly were actually a bit nervous about the introduction of the dogs in the search.

Best you tell the Guardian newspaper so.

Best you tell the Guardian newspaper so.

The Portuguese head detective said so. They requested the help of the dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Gringo180 wrote: »

I'd be surprised if they did order cadaver and blood dogs as they had a deep belief that she was still alive, but then again nothing would surprise me in this case.

Gringo180 wrote:
    The Portuguese head detective said so. They requested the help of the dogs.

As I said the Guardian newspaper carried an article claiming the McCanns sought the sniffer dogs.

The cadaver dog barked at the villa the McCanns stayed in after the abduction. It barked at a kind of tv unit that was closed and when the detective opened it Maddies little teddy bear was in it. Thats absolutely crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Something Else
    Calltocall wrote:
    What? I don’t follow you, I’ve said they gave the opportunity to someone with bad intent by leaving their room unlocked, that was their critical mistake, and do you know why they made those decisions?? Imo it was Because they were negligent, because they didn’t think there was someone waiting to abduct their child. They shouldn’t have done that but it doesn’t make them murderers. Also a note was left in the reception area which stated the time they would be away from their kids and also the nights they were away from their room, doesn’t take a genius to figure out someone who wanted to take a child had all the info he needed. And they’re not fairytales btw the charity collector was reported by witnesses, also do you know there were at least 6 sexual assaults against british children that occured in the algarve area in holiday villas by a lone intruder at night, 3 in praia da luz, one in 2005 in praia da luz that involved a man that snuck into a ten year old girls room, no one was ever apprehended. Not fairytales.

They felt it was safe enough to leave the children unattended for short periods of time. This is understandable given the particular location and circumstances although ultimately proved to be disastrous for the family. Clearly, there were no warnings in place from either the police or the resort staff as to possible risks to children at that time. Why would there have been? The majority of child abductions tend to be carried out by a disaffected parent or carer of a child who may have an underlying mental illness or be experiencing difficult domestic circumstances say, for example, a separated father who has restricted access to his child. The instances of child abduction and trafficking carried out by organised criminal gangs are rare although probably the most likely cause in this instance - the disappearance of Madeleine. The next most likely type of culprit would have been a lone, opportunistic type of predator with a sexual motivation and probably a local.
    The individual you mention in your post was arrested, charged and subsequently died but was proven not to be linked in any way with the McCann case.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

chicorytip wrote: »
    They felt it was safe enough to leave the children unattended for short periods of time. This is understandable given the particular location and circumstances although ultimately proved to be disastrous for the family. Clearly, there were no warnings in place from either the police or the resort staff as to possible risks to children at that time. Why would there have been? The majority of child abductions tend to be carried out by a disaffected parent or carer of a child who may have an underlying mental illness or be experiencing difficult domestic circumstances say, for example, a separated father who has restricted access to his child. The instances of child abduction and trafficking carried out by organised criminal gangs are rare although probably the most likely cause in this instance - the disappearance of Madeleine. The next most likely type of culprit would have been a lone, opportunistic type of predator with a sexual motivation and probably a local.
    The individual you mention in your post was arrested, charged and subsequently died but was proven not to be linked in any way with the McCann case.

I think the individual you are referring to is Euclides Monteiro, he was an ex ocean club worker who was sacked by the hotel for stealing, had a drug problem and was a suspect in the cases that I mentioned however he was ruled out as a suspect in those cases through a dna sample, they have never caught anyone for the assaults I mentioned. He was a suspect in the mccann case as his phone was picked up in the vicinity of the hotel on the night in question and police couldn’t understand why he was in the area as he was from lagos however he had no form for sexual assaults just breaking and entering, he died in 2009 I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Something Else

I got as far as your second sentence. The fact that you think what the mccanns did , by leaving their 3 children under the age of 3 was “ understandable “ means that I won’t be reading anything else that you’ll ramble .. shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

before that documentary I would have said you'd need a whole body of evidence to convince me anyone except the parents did it. After that documentary its just cemented the belief a bit more.

sedating your kids to go get pissed with your other doctor friends is pretty abhorrent behaviour on its own, let alone what happened after.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

They felt it was safe enough to leave the children unattended for short periods of time. This is understandable given the particular location and circumstances although ultimately proved to be disastrous for the family. Clearly, there were no warnings in place from either the police or the resort staff as to possible risks to children at that time.se.

I most certainely is not understable in that location or in any other location . That particular location was an unlocked apartment opening on to a public road . I doubt very much you would leave your credit card exposed in it .
    And sensible caring parents dont need warnings about the risk of leaving three very young children alone . Thankfully most parents wouldnt dream of it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

hawkelady wrote: »
    I got as far as your second sentence. The fact that you think what the mccanns did , by leaving their 3 children under the age of 3 was “ understandable “ means that I won’t be reading anything else that you’ll ramble .. shocking

To be honest. I was pretty shocked the last few days as the amount of people who think like this.

I was always under the assumption it was the one thing everyone agreed on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

before that documentary I would have said you'd need a whole body of evidence to convince me anyone except the parents did it. After that documentary its just cemented the belief a bit more.

sedating your kids to go get pissed with your other doctor friends is pretty abhorrent behaviour on its own, let alone what happened after.

The documentary told you that they sedated the kids? Interesting. What evidence did the documentary offer to support this allegation?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement