Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S8

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Did you get it OTA? Im still waiting.

still waiting on vodafone ireland too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Yeah just picked up a work S8 today, nice phone, but wondering when the rollout will happen.
    Asked 3 and they told me PIE was released last yr in July :facepalm:
    Ill just keep refreshing the OTA page then so, haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

coach22 wrote: »
    still waiting on vodafone ireland too

Im with VF also. My device is unlocked tho so I thought the update would be there waiting to be installed but no sign yet.
    From what I'm reading about it, I'm in two minds about installing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

ShaneU wrote: »
    Thank you, had to scrape out the back of the port and i'm back to fast charging again :D

Had the same problem on my plus and the misuses 8. Once the dirt was out it was sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Yes, I'm on eir but the phone came from Germany (if it makes any difference)

Haha my phone is a german contract phone ironically enough too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Finally got it this morning on vodafone. It's a big change all right. Will take a bit of getting used to

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s8/SM-G950F/

Only Vodafone have it. Released yesterday so they should get it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Not sure about the s8 but fast charge on my old one plus 3 needed both a fast cable and power block.

Had to get a new cable and clear out the charging port again with a needle and a rocker blower to get it going with fast charge again. Thanks for the tip

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

ShaneU wrote: »
    Thank you, had to scrape out the back of the port and i'm back to fast charging again :D

this is a common problem it seems,

same issue here with 8+

I will do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

They've messed was the nav bar for no good reason. I used the new gestures for a day before giving up as they just wouldn't work for me consistently. Now I've gone back to the nav bar which works fine but they've removed the option to hide it by default and swipe up to have it shown. So every single app now has less screen real estate, no idea why they've done this.

• Advertisement

morritty wrote: »
    https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s8/SM-G950F/
    Only Vodafone have it. Released yesterday so they should get it today.

See there is a generic UK/Ireland code up there now. Wondering if that means 3 / Eir and others will have this

See there is a generic UK/Ireland code up there now. Wondering if that means 3 / Eir and others will have this
    Thats XEU firmware, Pie is rolled out to unlocked phones purchased direct from samsung UK/IRE.

Thats XEU firmware, Pie is rolled out to unlocked phones purchased direct from samsung UK/IRE.
    Pardon the ignorance, but would this then be the build that 3/Eir use to compile their own locked version of the code?

EDIT : Confirmation from 3. Pie should rollout next week and is under testing.

I would assume that is the case. but Android won't allow you to easily update to an unlocked non carrier firmware.

It can be done by flashing the firmware and you would get OTA updates when Samsung UK/IRE releases it. I haven't done that myself.

What I can say is, I got the Eir update for my s9+ 2 weeks after the unlocked version came out. 3 and Vodafone came a little bit earlier than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Just update to Pie.

The notification drag down from the top is bigger and im not fond of the icon pack. I may change those.

I do like the dark mode though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Can you change the icons? Back to something a little less childlike? It feels like they were designed for children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭jones

Still waiting on pie update with one UI with three hopefully be in the next few days I literally check it every day ha

nee wrote: »
    Can you change the icons? Back to something a little less childlike? It feels like they were designed for children.
    Yep, grab a launcher like nova launcher, download an icon pack you like and open it up and apply to nova.

I had a bixby button remapper prior to Pie that worked fine. Doesnt work anymore so need to figure a way to disable.

I had a bixby button remapper prior to Pie that worked fine. Doesnt work anymore so need to figure a way to disable.
    You cant disable it, You can change to double click to activate bixby, or if you update bixby you can now remap it to an app you have.

• Advertisement

nee wrote: »

Should also be able to select the Oreo Icon pack through the Theme store for free, if you wish to keep the rest of the Samsung Launcher experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Selling an immaculate Black S8+, 64GB, unlocked to all networks with a Spigen case if anyone's interested..... PM me.

Must stick it up on Adverts soon.

You cant disable it, You can change to double click to activate bixby, or if you update bixby you can now remap it to an app you have.

I'll have to wait for someone to create a new remapper then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Ive updated to pie there with 3,checked software updates and it was there

Cotts72 wrote:
    Ive updated to pie there with 3,checked software updates and it was there

Is it definitely a three phone? G955F3IE4CRL3 is what I'm on. 3IE being the three version

jones wrote: »
    Is it definitely a three phone? G955F3IE4CRL3 is what I'm on. 3IE being the three version
    3IRL will have the update out next week. It's in testing at the moment according to them.

Notice my Google Assistant doesn't work all the time since the update, so may try clearing the cache.

One of my biggest grips, is they moved the clock to the left side of the notification bar, apparently this is to benefit phones with notches. However, I am use to seeing notifications on the left side, so this is distracting for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Notice my Google Assistant doesn't work all the time since the update, so may try clearing the cache.

One of my biggest grips, is they moved the clock to the left side of the notification bar, apparently this is to benefit phones with notches. However, I am use to seeing notifications on the left side, so this is distracting for me.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that annoys!

Thank god you can bring back showing notifications on the lock screen instead of those stupid icons, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

3IRL will have the update out next week. It's in testing at the moment according to them.

thanks for that info....did you contact them to find out ??....i presume, so, that the previous poster who is on 3 and got the update is on a phone he bought independently from the carrier ?

• Advertisement

dougm1970 wrote:
    thanks for that info....did you contact them to find out ??....i presume, so, that the previous poster who is on 3 and got the update is on a phone he bought independently from the carrier ?

That's what I was thinking too on sammobile the three release isn't out yet so I'm assuming the other poster just has a three sim in a different CSC phone

Advertisement