Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

The one gun i need as a 492 storm is avenging herald...i have never seen it drop....
    If i have to do tyrant mines again with people who have no clue im gonna go mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/sony-apparently-grants-refund-requests-for-anthem-playstation-4/

This blew up on Reddit apparently and has been picked up in the media. It doesn't ring true. Sony allowing refunds, no questions asked sounds hokey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

gimli2112 wrote: »
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/sony-apparently-grants-refund-requests-for-anthem-playstation-4/

This blew up on Reddit apparently and has been picked up in the media. It doesn't ring true. Sony allowing refunds, no questions asked sounds hokey.

Yeah, I call bullsh*t. I can't see a platform allowing refunds. There have been much worse launches than Anthem and those games didn't allow refunds.

One of the recent Assassins Creed games rings a bell but I can't remember which one it was.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I got Ralners Blaze, combine that with Avenging Herald and Raptors Dead Eye = everything dies.

No luck with getting a ralners blaze yet myself but this dropped lastnight

Anthem-Screenshot-2019-03-04-11-08-03-63.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

ZiabR wrote: »
    Yeah, I call bullsh*t. I can't see a platform allowing refunds. There have been much worse launches than Anthem and those games didn't allow refunds.

One of the recent Assassins Creed games rings a bell but I can't remember which one it was.

Fallout 76 on PS4, Sony issued refunds no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Fallout 76 on PS4, Sony issued refunds no problem.

Anthem looks like a game of the year winner compared to the disaster that was Fallout 76.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Ralners Blaze is one of the best guns if not the best gun in the game IMO, I use it on my 3 javs without fail. Its just so universal..... The fact you can prime a target with a gun gives you so many options in regards to build. And it hits like a truck with predictable recoil, plus with a decent roll its godlike.

Have to say have my 3 javs all at 490s and masterworked I have only got 1 legendary to drop in all the time playing the game....grrrrrrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

1. Assassin's Creed Unity. :eek:

No mans sky got instant refunds on PSN.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I only have one legendary and I swear to god its actually broken.

It fires about 15 feet to the right of the cursor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I hit level 30, finished the campaign, got my interceptor to 400 AND maxed out my Arcanist rep.
    I did it. I can play the game now. :pac:

Enjoyed it so far, even the meddling in peoples lives at Fort Tarsis.
    Would like if it was more stable though.

Two questions. I searched Youtube, Reddit and the internet in general but couldn't find an answer.

1: What would the best method for leveling my other Javelins be?
    Gave them some of my Interceptors cast off weapons and boosted them up to roughly 100 power.

2: What power level does my Interceptor need to be before I can start running GM1 strongholds?
    Only have two Masterworks and they're both weapons.

• Advertisement

1. Just give them your best weapons to raise power level, also you might have some universal components that work on all javelins, do a few contracts and you will get plenty of epic gear in no time maybe 2 or 3 runs and your well on your way.

2. Your fine running GM 1 at 400 even lower if your a colossus.

Your at the stage in then game where you will start to get plenty of masterworks, your guaranteed atleast one from GM1 strongholds and legendary contracts, i get plenty from freeplay world events too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Settled into a rythem with the game now,log on,do 3 legendary contracts,one GM1 run of tyrant mines. A bit of free play when i have a bit of extra time.

Dont really feel the need to grind out the absolute best gear yet.

Looked at levelling alts tonights,lack of common material hinders it,need more to craft level 30 gear for the alts but not much drops now im past that point.

Easy remedy is just to play with the alts but up till now ive just been levelling them via gear:P

Dcully wrote: »

Your at the stage in then game where you will start to get plenty of masterworks, your guaranteed atleast one from GM1 strongholds and legendary contracts, i get plenty from freeplay world events too.

I have been rewarded quite a few aswell but they all seem to be weapons. I am yet to get anything armor or mod related.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

How many of those games had a chance to brick your PS4 by having the game corrupt your hard drive however?

Yes; if you're on PS4 and the games crashes there is a risk it will corrupt your hard drive and potentially brick the PS4 console due to it. Slow clap for the coding team at Bioware for that one.

Nody wrote: »
    Yes; if you're on PS4 and the games crashes there is a risk it will corrupt your hard drive and potentially brick the PS4 console due to it. Slow clap for the coding team at Bioware for that one.

Slow clap for Bioware???

How about Slow clap for Sony... Absolutely laughable/shocking and unacceptable that a software crash can render PS4 console useless.

Instead of focusing on a game crashing, how about focus on Sony's short comings.

I have had countless games outside of Anthem crash and freeze my Xbox 360/One and One X, and not one of them has bricked my console.

I have been rewarded quite a few aswell but they all seem to be weapons. I am yet to get anything armor or mod related.

I think i heard somewhere on a stream or a video strongholds only drop masterwork weapons, i could be BS however as i dont run them often anymore as it seems faster just to do contracts and freeplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Slow clap for Bioware???

How about Slow clap for Sony... Absolutely laughable/shocking and unacceptable that a software crash can render PS4 console useless.

Instead of focusing on a game crashing, how about focus on Sony's short comings.

I have had countless games outside of Anthem crash and freeze my Xbox 360/One and One X, and not one of them has bricked my console.

Ditto for my PS4 alot of crashes over the years from launch day nothing bricked. Your logic does not seem valid there.

It's a Bioware testing issue not Sony. Clearly the game was not tested enoungh on the PS4 and slipped through.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Have there been any confirmed cases of consoles actually being bricked, as in, by the actual definition of the word?

So far I've read a few stories about needing to power on the console via the physical button on the console, needing to unplug it and/or leaving it unplugged for awhile before doing the same and in one case, needing to re-install the system due to the console crashing but in no case has a console appeared to be irretrievably bricked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Slow clap for Bioware???

Thank you for proving my point; no other known game has caused this issue yet Anthem does. That points to a problem with Anthem rather than the console and last time I checked Sony did not program Anthem and hence it's Bioware's **** up to own. The source of the problem is Anthem; blaming Sony because someone manages to mess up their software with poor coding is like blaming Microsoft that viruses can delete your hard drive on a PC. As a side note it appears to be connected with the day 0 patch and the memory leaks it created in the game on all consoles; once again Bioware **** up by poor programming.
    gizmo wrote: »
    Have there been any confirmed cases of consoles actually being bricked, as in, by the actual definition of the word?
    Well confirmed in as far as at least one user stating it has happened to them ; yes there has been. As I know of no one visiting said person in real life there's no verification beyond the user claim however.

Terribly useful video for any player, im over 60 hours played and learned stuff from this video and post.
    For example did you know acid damage is not elemental it is physical ? read on :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/atthll/mythbusters_and_mechanics_not_explicitly_stated/

• Advertisement

Thank you for proving my point; no other known game has caused this issue yet Anthem does. That points to a problem with Anthem rather than the console and last time I checked Sony did not program Anthem and hence it's Bioware's **** up to own. The source of the problem is Anthem; blaming Sony because someone manages to mess up their software with poor coding is like blaming Microsoft that viruses can delete your hard drive on a PC.
    It's not that straight forward. The source of the crash is most definitely Anthem, however, the handling of that crash is done by the PS4. Given the variety of issues being experienced by people after the crash, it would indicate that this process itself isn't entirely reliable.

In terms of scope and the problems being identified, you can have a quick google and find several instances of games such as Black Ops 4, Rainbow Six Siege and others causing PS4s to crash and ending up needing to be recovered in similar ways. The difference here is the Anthem crash appears to be considerably more widespread so we're seeing a wider variety of outcomes, including more examples of the worst.

In any case, it appears to be too early to point fingers at the exact cause but I'd strongly wager we'll hear more later today.
    Well confirmed in as far as at least one user stating it has happened to them ; yes there has been. As I know of no one visiting said person in real life there's no verification beyond the user claim however.
    Said user has also said they're not tech savvy so more than likely hasn't explored the various options available for remedying the situation. Bricking is a very specific thing and goes beyond the need for a hard reset or OS re-install.

gizmo wrote: »
    In any case, it appears to be too early to point fingers at the exact cause but I'd strongly wager we'll hear more later today
    See updated post; so far everything points towards the day 0 patch's memory leak issue which affects all versions of the game as the most likely source of the issue. The only factor being how much memory you got until it hits the limit and crashes (i.e. 32GB PC users doing nothing on their PC has the same issue but it simply takes longer to leak 32GB compared to a PS4 but the crash will come eventually no matter what).

See updated post; so far everything points towards the day 0 patch's memory leak issue which affects all versions of the game as the most likely source of the issue. The only factor being how much memory you got until it hits the limit and crashes (i.e. 32GB PC users doing nothing on their PC has the same issue but it simply takes longer to leak 32GB compared to a PS4 but the crash will come eventually no matter what).
    Again, I'm not in any way questioning the source of the crash, that's definitely Anthem but the console should, in theory, handle this more gracefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I understand that most of you are putting the blame firmly in Bioware's court but I just don't see it that way. I have completed plenty of software development projects over the years and this is where the Q&A team would come in.

Sony should be involved with all software that they are allowing to be used with their hardware. Presumably their Q&A teams cleared the game, and all subsequent patches to be used and it is Sony's OS that is crashing from the game. The worst thing that should ever happen when software crashes is that the software hangs (but not the hardware) or you crash back to the desktop, where you can relaunch that application.

A full system brick shows serious flaws in Bioware's software AND Sony's OS and Hardware. That and the fact that the Sony Q&A team are clearly not testing correctly before approving patches.

While I admit the issue does sound like a memory leak or the likes, linked to Bioware's code, there is just no way a memory leak or software crash should have complete control over hardware. Some of the blame has to lie with Sony.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd be very surprised if the game itself could fully brick any console. A console or two might fail while playing Anthem, but it's just as likely that it would have failed on any other game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if the game itself could fully brick any console. A console or two might fail while playing Anthem, but it's just as likely that it would have failed on any other game.

(source)
    My PS4 just hard shutdown while playing Anthem, then I saw this post. It then had issues restarting. It'd come on briefly then shutdown a couple times.
    I was alone, in a dungeon in freeplay when the game froze then the PS4 shutdown. Before anyone says, this is not a heat problem (at least in my case). Shutdowns due to heat have their own specific error code.
    Also, my PS4 is 'somewhat' modded for extra cooling. I've re-applied Thermal Paste to the APU. Applied Thermal Pads to the Memory Chips. Have a custom top shell for extra ventilation and a small fan blowing over the chip.

I got System Software Error CE-36329-3 when my PS4 finally turned back on. It did a System Storage check and then gave me an error code, then afterwards repaired my SSD because "it was unplugged improperly". I've never had this sort of issue in any game I've played, never had a game shutdown my PS4, never had a system software error, nothing like that.

Edit: Confirmed by myself, my brother and another person in the comments, this can also occur if you shutdown your Console while Anthem is still running. After doing so, sometimes when you try to turn your Console back on, it will not respond to 'controller-input' power on. Then when touching the power button, it will have the same power cycling issue and subsequent system check and error message.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I think it's more the case it's causing a hard shut down. Anytime a disc gets stuck in the machine or hangs for some reason and I lose patience and do a hard reset, it's always heart in mouth time to see if the thing boots back up.

I think it's highly unlikely to brick the machine but there's always a chance.

Anthem Database very useful if you want to know if you have all skills,components,weapons needed etc because when you get all components you need from legendary contracts its best to stop doing them and just craft using materials and the blueprints you got for each.

http://anthemarchive.com/#!

• Advertisement
Advertisement