Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Played the demo and could see the "endgame" problems coming a mile away coupled with loot identity (or lack thereof) from what I see every weapon looks the same. Fair play if you are having fun, but how any one can give this a pass and be an apologist for it in its bare bones state is beyond me. It has less content than Destiny 1 and people are still paying top dollar for it?? No wonder companies keep doing this **** every year, we are enabling them

• Registered Users Posts: 27,968 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Played the demo and could see the "endgame" problems coming a mile away coupled with loot identity (or lack thereof) from what I see every weapon looks the same. Fair play if you are having fun, but how any one can give this a pass and be an apologist for it in its bare bones state is beyond me. It has less content than Destiny 1 and people are still paying top dollar for it?? No wonder companies keep doing this **** every year, we are enabling them

Less content than Destiny when it launched or less content than where Destiny finished three years later?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Less content than Destiny when it launched or less content than where Destiny finished three years later?

Less content than when Destiny 1 launched....and thats bad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Thats simply not true. Destiny 1 had nothing at launch. Division 1 had nothing at launch. Anthem has very little aswell.

I am not for one second defending Anthem's launch but people really do have short memories when comparing Anthem to other games when they launched.

If Bioware and EA stick with Anthem, (and the general consensus is that they are going to stick with with it into the future) it has the potential to become a very very good game.

The launch has been light on content, to light to be fair but I am still enjoying playing it. Its a good laugh with a group from 2-4 players.

The next 3 months with make or break Anthem. They need to release a steady flow of content and improvements.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

There is no way you get a feel for endgame from a demo.
    No weapons are not the same at all , please explain.
    Less content than destiny 1? It has more endgame than destiny and 1 and 2 had at launch plus it has a clear roadmap ahead.
    Endgame is light on content only if your putting in hours every day but its a hell of a lot of fun plus it has more endgame @ launch than D1 or 2 and the division had at launch.
    I have 45 hours played and only now am i approaching finishing off just one class/javelin, three more to go if i so choose and they all play very differently.

Is the game perfect? far from it, the campaign and its issues are extremely frustrating but thankfully those issues are largely non issues during the endgame loop.
    The endgame while enjoyable needs more variety and activities if people want to play for hours on end, this will come and quicker than some expect too.
    The devs are allover reddit etc responding to questions and issues which can only be a positive, already we have had a few patches.
    If the roadmap actually happens the game will be in a great state.

Personally my €13 for a month on origin access was more than worth it.
    I probably wont keep my sub or buy the full game just yet as i have other looter games that really scratch that itch.
    Also the division 2 is out soon although im not sure it will be looter to save all looters.
    I will be keeping a close eye on how the game develops, having experienced the game i can only imagine how good it may become if the nail down more endgame activities and address the loot issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Completed a GM2 stronghold last night with randomers, took over an hour.

God damn it was hard, I am 477 Epic.

Got 2 crap masterworks from it :(

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Completed a GM2 stronghold last night with randomers, took over an hour.

God damn it was hard, I am 477 Epic.

Got 2 crap masterworks from it :(

My advice would be to hold off playing GM1 - GM3 until at least next week. They are making changes to the way loot is awarded in an upcoming patch. They are also fixing alot of the inscriptions on items and also developing a mechanic that will allow players to re-roll the stats on awarded items.

Bioware are listening and they are bringing alot of needed and wanted changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,968 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

There was very little in Destiny at launch. The story was about 12-15 hours, 5 strikes (+1 PS exclusive) and PVP, I think. The Raid was launched after a few weeks.

It was also sitting at poor enough reviews for a while but bungie slowly built up to a great game overall. I'd guess in three years time we'll be looking back at a similar cycle for Anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

ZiabR wrote: »
    Thats simply not true. Destiny 1 had nothing at launch. Division 1 had nothing at launch. Anthem has very little aswell.

I am not for one second defending Anthem's launch but people really do have short memories when comparing Anthem to other games when they launched.

If Bioware and EA stick with Anthem, (and the general consensus is that they are going to stick with with it into the future) it has the potential to become a very very good game.

The launch has been light on content, to light to be fair but I am still enjoying playing it. Its a good laugh with a group from 2-4 players.

The next 3 months with make or break Anthem. They need to release a steady flow of content and improvements.

Shigeru Miyamoto: A rushed game is forever bad

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

TitianGerm wrote: »
    There was very little in Destiny at launch. The story was about 12-15 hours, 5 strikes (+1 PS exclusive) and PVP, I think. The Raid was launched after a few weeks.

It was also sitting at poor enough reviews for a while but bungie slowly built up to a great game overall. I'd guess in three years time we'll be looking back at a similar cycle for Anthem.

Vault of Glass came out 7 days after the game released. My concern with Anthem is that their piece of major aspirational content isn't coming out till May. What's coming between now and then better be Impressive.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Link is not working for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

ZiabR wrote: »
    Link is not working for me?

Try here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

This is slowly turning into the no mans sky thread at launch.

A lot of people disappearing up their own arses with their air of moral superiority.

EoinHef wrote: »

A lot of people disappearing up their own arses with their air of moral superiority.

Wouldn't be concerned with all the drama I just want a Ralners Blaze rifle :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I'm loving the combat, went in with my eyes open to the games problems.

Those saying it has less than Destiny did at launch don't remember how little there was.
    The raid didn't release right away so endgame was endlessly grinding strikes to try and get good gear.
    Lootdrops were terrible, anyone remember the lootcave exploit? :pac:
    I only stopped playing that a few weeks ago.

Nowhere near endgame, so I can't comment on that but why the people that dislike Anthem and the people that don't feel this need to have a go at eachother is beyond me.

The game might fail, it might recover. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

I dont get it? What is it about Anthem and people being lambasted for not agreeing with its practices or content? It was ok to call Destiny out at launch, it was agreed Division was lacking at launch, and widely agreed upon (seeing as you bring it up) that No Mans Sky did not deliver at launch either. Yet if someone takes a shot at Anthem it's like "No No No...you leave Anthem alone". I don't get it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Dcully wrote: »

Nice one, only 81 more to go, also the Quickjoin only seems to work on Easy with missions not bugging out.

I feel like an actual god when I join level 1s and 2s to get my 25 completed.

Also Buzz Lightyear Colossus :D

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/av40xr/a_quick_guide_on_how_to_make_your_javelin_look/

I dont get it? What is it about Anthem and people being lambasted for not agreeing with its practices or content? It was ok to call Destiny out at launch, it was agreed Division was lacking at launch, and widely agreed upon (seeing as you bring it up) that No Mans Sky did not deliver at launch either. Yet if someone takes a shot at Anthem it's like "No No No...you leave Anthem alone". I don't get it?

Might have something to do with your other post. Because you dont like the game you see the rest of us a mugs for paying money for it and proceed to say were some how enabling gaming industry garbage.

Id ask you,if im enjoying the game how does any of what you said apply?

Criticism of the game is fair but you want to criticise people for playing it,thats too far imo.

Thats how it went in the NMS thread so thats why i drew the comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

but why the people that dislike Anthem and the people that don't feel this need to have a go at each other is beyond me

there's a bit of tribalism when it comes to games akin to football. when someone says my thing is better than your thing it can kick off. I almost posted earlier in defence of Destiny/the Division but the reality is the criticism was apt.
    The division and destiny really clicked with me but for different reasons. A lot of it is subjective but people naturally get defensive when there's criticism of something they like.

anyhow I've never not played a game because someone else didn't like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Might have something to do with your other post. Because you dont like the game you see the rest of us a mugs for paying money for it and proceed to say were some how enabling gaming industry garbage.

Id ask you,if im enjoying the game how does any of what you said apply?

Criticism of the game is fair but you want to criticise people for playing it,thats too far imo.

Thats how it went in the NMS thread so thats why i drew the comparison.

I always wonder about people who fanboi hard for companies, every criticism is an attack on them.

It's great for EA and the other unscrupulous publishers out there as no matter what the state of the game or how predatory they might be they will always have lemmings who will not only pay for crap it but will defend them down to the ground.

If your having fun that is great but it doesn't mean the game isn't fundamentally flawed and that by purchasing early your helping support such practices.

Just because you spent money doesn't mean you can be up your own arse and decide who does or doesn't get an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Look back and find an example of anyone who is enjoying the game 'fanboi hard' for EA. It hasn't happened. What you have primarily is 2 groups, both recognising the flaws the only real difference being one can put up with them for the sake of the core gameplay and one can't . Neither is wrong, or being a fanboi or hater. The only issues are coming from people who do not own and therefore have not played the game at all trying to consistently push an opinion that is not even theirs...that's it, vapid, pointless, useless as being without any personal context is without any weight. If you do not play the game yes you can have an opinion on the facts that led you to not get it, but to think that opinion has as much as or more value than that of those who have personal experience and then call those in that group who do actually like it mindless fanbois? Seriously? Mindless would be the term I'd apply to anyone who's opinion is formed exclusively by 'influencers' they don't even know personally just because they are on youtube or another platform and then use those same sources as proof of that opinion's validity, it's circular logic at best. Thought Fashion.

I mean if your so into drinking the kool-aid from a company who have terrible practices and don't understand when people say that buying the game is facilitating this bad practices to continue then yes i would say the shoe fits.

Not all had to buy the game to play it, as if you have origin access you can effectively rent it.

Calhoun wrote: »
    I always wonder about people who fanboi hard for companies, every criticism is an attack on them.

It's great for EA and the other unscrupulous publishers out there as no matter what the state of the game or how predatory they might be they will always have lemmings who will not only pay for crap it but will defend them down to the ground.

If your having fun that is great but it doesn't mean the game isn't fundamentally flawed and that by purchasing early your helping support such practices.

Just because you spent money doesn't mean you can be up your own arse and decide who does or doesn't get an opinion.

Good job,way to totally miss the point. The criticism i objected to was at the players of the game,not the game itself or EA. Ive said the game has flaws,as have many others. Personally i can just get past them as i enjoy the gameplay.

So maybe direct your criticism toward the game and not people who are enjoying it?

Its pretty obvious theres been major bad feeling toward EA lately,most of it deserved imo,but not everyone is on a crusade to s**t all over everything they touch. That might not suit the agenda of some but ill continue to try judge games objectively,if i like them ill play them.

Also paying for a game i enjoy,weather you enjoy it or not is not flawed logic,if i enjoy it is it not worth the money to me?

I didnt buy the game to support EA,i got it because i wanted to play it and im enjoying it. But i suppose that matters little to those on their crusade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I mean if your so into drinking the kool-aid from a company who have terrible practices and don't understand when people say that buying the game is facilitating this bad practices to continue then yes i would say the shoe fits.

Not all had to buy the game to play it, as if you have origin access you can effectively rent it.

I've enjoyed most EA games I've played (although to be fair that's still not too many). I'm going to continue spending money on things I enjoy until they do something genuinely awful. Comments like drinking the kool aid make what could be valid criticisms come across as a petty rant.

They're a company who's primary interest is making money, not a group of supervillains. That's not to say I agree with a lot of things they do, because I don't agree with a lot of it. I'm still going to judge each individual game on its merits though rather than boycott a game for no reason other than EA bad.

Good job,way to totally miss the point. The criticism i objected to was at the players of the game,not the game itself or EA. Ive said the game has flaws,as have many others. Personally i can just get past them as i enjoy the gameplay.

So maybe direct your criticism toward the game and not people who are enjoying it?

Its pretty obvious theres been major bad feeling toward EA lately,most of it deserved imo,but not everyone is on a crusade to s**t all over everything they touch. That might not suit the agenda of some but ill continue to try judge games objectively,if i like them ill play them.

Also paying for a game i enjoy,weather you enjoy it or not is not flawed logic,if i enjoy it is it not worth the money to me?

I didnt buy the game to support EA,i got it because i wanted to play it and im enjoying it. But i suppose that matters little to those on their crusade.

I haven't missed the point as much as you have, not everyone likes the model of a live service of delivery for games meaning that games are shipped half finished.

If you want to enjoy it then thats on you go and enjoy it but dont get butthurt when people take issue with the fact the game is in a shoddy state and that it will continue in this manner as long as people buy them.

I see the same online in other places, the butthurt fanboys who cannot have a mature discussion about the state of the game. Its far easier to write it off as a crusade and continue to be a lemming.

I've enjoyed most EA games I've played (although to be fair that's still not too many). I'm going to continue spending money on things I enjoy until they do something genuinely awful. Comments like drinking the kool aid make what could be valid criticisms come across as a petty rant.

They're a company who's primary interest is making money, not a group of supervillains. That's not to say I agree with a lot of things they do, because I don't agree with a lot of it. I'm still going to judge each individual game on its merits though rather than boycott a game for no reason other than EA bad.

Please do keep drinking the kool-aid but don't get butthurt when others want to discuss the way the game was launched/its live services. As said above you see it as a petty rant because most fanboys cannot take criticism the game they are currently investing allot of money into.

I don't believe i have ever said that EA are a group of supervillains that must be you projecting. I would say though the targeting of kids and exposing them to gambling through loot boxes is fairly villainous but hey its all business.

I haven't boycotted the company either, as i have many EA games but i am not going to blindly purchase something that is sub par as it just motivates EA to keep delivering unfinished crap.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2019/02/25/is-ea-going-to-stick-with-anthem-long-term-or-ditch-it-like-andromeda/#4667b7d1ac15

This is primarily why i have an issue with getting too invested in Anthem, after its dodgy launch the question is will EA stick to it as they have a long history of dropping under performing IP.

If anthem goes there is a good chance that bioware is gone, which is a shame as its a decent studio.

I haven't missed the point as much as you have, not everyone likes the model of a live service of delivery for games meaning that games are shipped half finished.

If you want to enjoy it then thats on you go and enjoy it but dont get butthurt when people take issue with the fact the game is in a shoddy state and that it will continue in this manner as long as people buy them.

I see the same online in other places, the butthurt fanboys who cannot have a mature discussion about the state of the game. Its far easier to write it off as a crusade and continue to be a lemming.

For the last time,i didnt object to your opinion on EA or the game. What i said was calling players who have bought the game apologists,fanboys etc was too far imo. By all means attack the game but not the people playing it. Understand?

Also calling people fanboys,butthurt,lemmings is not condusive to mature conversation in my experience,that could be your problem:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Pretty noticeable difficulty spike in this, even the basic side missions have ramped up.
    Starting to feel squishy now.

Advertisement