Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Personally I find its just easier to play the game, not see what someone on youtube or twitch thinks to form my opinion.

Just play it, i skip over most of the I HATE EA posts on this thread and just play the game.

Its a decent game I have gotten my monies worth of €1 per hour played per money spent.

I would like Ralners Blaze tho, but thats a in game thing, majority of this thread would have no ****ing clue what that means yah know because of the I HATE EA thing.

kinda feel glad for starting the Star Wars/Respawn thread now, maybe they will go there now and we can discuss how the **** i can get Ralners Blaze?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

EoinHef wrote: »
    For the last time,i didnt object to your opinion on EA or the game. What i said was calling players who have bought the game apologists,fanboys etc was too far imo. By all means attack the game but not the people playing it. Understand?

Also calling people fanboys,butthurt,lemmings is not condusive to mature conversation in my experience,that could be your problem:P

That is exactly what has been happening here and in other places online, people irrationally angry because of the critique of the game because they cannot accept it has flaws and people are disappointed in it? Do you understand where this point is coming from?

When you talk about people disappearing up their own arse its hard to take anything you say as serious. Just looks like someone too into the game horrified that others could criticize their pet project.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

You seem to have quite the fixation on 'Butthurt' and 'Fanboy', who hurt you Calhoun...

Nice deflection :) i just don't like it when fans of series cannot let discussion happen because they themselves are loving it.

Like it or not anthem will be talked about from a wider perspective because its the first game from EA to go full-on into live service and have a staggered launch as they did. Its also the first game released by bioware since Andromeda which resulted in their sub studio getting shut down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Tbh I don't see anybody being a fanboy, most people who have spoken favourably about the game have been just as quick to highlight it's flaws.

What I have seen is a bit of an intolerance from people who disagree with the live service concept and a view that those who enjoy it are supporting bad practices. Live service games/MMOs have been around for donkeys.

You buy into a product that will get updated for the foreseeable future, it's not like people have bought into a single player game where we have been promised the rest of the story at a later date. If anything this is one of the least offensive examples of the genre I've seen in a while given that all playable content won't cost players a penny if they so choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Calhoun wrote: »
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2019/02/25/is-ea-going-to-stick-with-anthem-long-term-or-ditch-it-like-andromeda/#4667b7d1ac15

This is primarily why i have an issue with getting too invested in Anthem, after its dodgy launch the question is will EA stick to it as they have a long history of dropping under performing IP.

If anthem goes there is a good chance that bioware is gone, which is a shame as its a decent studio.

I don't think Anthem will be dropped, but what I don't know is just how much money EA are willing to put into it, considering all of the money they have already spent.

That being said, we do know that we are at least going to get to June with new content being added monthly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Loot patch today or tomorrow. Sounds good.
    Although it'll probably mean farming MW items again but I'm ok with that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/avm9yn/anthem_loot_update/

Noxin wrote: »
    Loot patch today or tomorrow. Sounds good.
    Although it'll probably mean farming MW items again but I'm ok with that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/avm9yn/anthem_loot_update/

This is good news.

ZiabR wrote: »
    I don't think Anthem will be dropped, but what I don't know is just how much money EA are willing to put into it, considering all of the money they have already spent.

That being said, we do know that we are at least going to get to June with new content being added monthly.

I hope they do and they give bioware a chance to shine, EA at times aren't always so rational. I would have bitten the hand off them for Andromeda DLC but they cancelled it out right.

• Advertisement

goon_magee wrote: »
    Tbh I don't see anybody being a fanboy, most people who have spoken favourably about the game have been just as quick to highlight it's flaws.

What I have seen is a bit of an intolerance from people who disagree with the live service concept and a view that those who enjoy it are supporting bad practices. Live service games/MMOs have been around for donkeys.

You buy into a product that will get updated for the foreseeable future, it's not like people have bought into a single player game where we have been promised the rest of the story at a later date. If anything this is one of the least offensive examples of the genre I've seen in a while given that all playable content won't cost players a penny if they so choose.

What you see as intolerance is criticism of the state of the game at launch and how it was launched, hence why we are where we are. How many MMOs are you currently playing or subscribed to?

I currently have a sub on wow, ff14 and Eve anddabble in GW2, so I am no stranger to the concept. I can tell you that any game that I play on a live service that is delivered in an unfinished state is open to allot of criticism.

So enjoy the game all you want just respect my decision to also critique it and question the impact the rollout of this game in a live service without the foundations being right is having.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

started this yesterday, was off sick and put a good 8 hours or so into it. played up to the first stronghold and a mission or two beyond it.

unbiased impressions -

Opens strong, flying feels cool, the world looks great, went with storm javelin, and have gotten some pretty cool abilities. Playing the missions on hard difficulty by default as easy felt lacking.
    Tutorial wise I feel like they could have done a little more with regards explaining the ins and outs of your suits abilities, your very much left to figure it out for yourself. not sure how combos work, some times it pops up, more times it doesn't.
    Fort Tarsis - its like a different game that's been sandwiched into it. Conversations seem meaningless enough for the most part, and all the voice actors have this weird delivery where its like they're talking / responding too fast.

It might become clear at the endgame, but the launch bay area - it feels like at some stage this will become similar to the tower in destiny, removing the need to plod around fort tarsis in first person perspective?
    I'm happy enough to keep playing, hard to tell yet what kind of staying power it'll have, but I'm enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Calhoun wrote: »
    What you see as intolerance is criticism of the state of the game at launch and how it was launched, hence why we are where we are. How many MMOs are you currently playing or subscribed to?

I currently have a sub on wow, ff14 and Eve anddabble in GW2, so I am no stranger to the concept. I can tell you that any game that I play on a live service that is delivered in an unfinished state is open to allot of criticism.

So enjoy the game all you want just respect my decision to also critique it and question the impact the rollout of this game in a live service without the foundations being right is having.

Lapsed Final Fantasy 14 player, played Final Fantasy 11 extensively, lapsed WoW player and have played more hours of the Division/Destiny than I care to admit.

You are linking two unconnected things here, the intolerance I see and attitude others have mentioned, has nothing to do with you critiquing the game, it has to do with the attitude and insults you have projected against those that are enjoying it and supporting these so called bad practices. Fans have welcomed criticism, they haven't welcomed insults and continuous spouting of terms like kool aid and butthurt and fanboi. You can't seem to separate the two concepts though and seem to think that people not standing for your immaturity and pettiness is a rejection of game criticism. Myself, and many other fans have welcomed commentary as we recognise the flaws, go back and have a read. Though no doubt you will manage to somehow warp what others have said to further your agenda/perception that fans won't stand for any criticism.

Anyway, the thread has been derailed enough with this sh1te, let's get back to providing constructive commentary, fans and non-fans alike.

goon_magee wrote: »
    Anyway, the thread has been derailed enough with this sh1te, let's get back to providing constructive commentary, fans and non-fans alike.

Agreed my original point before we went down this rabbit hole was that i hope they don't abandon it because it could spell the end for bioware which is a decent studio.

I really hope in the coming updates that they expand the story and the lore, for me that is biowares forte and where they can excel. I know with SWTOR it can be hard to adapt a single player story to an MMO audience but hopefully they will have learnt from that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

It might become clear at the endgame, but the launch bay area - it feels like at some stage this will become similar to the tower in destiny, removing the need to plod around fort tarsis in first person perspective?
    Nice to have something away from the drama to talk about but yep you will barely need to go near tarsis at all thankfully as everything you need for going on missions accessing vault forge etc are in the loading bay.

Back to the drama :) my issue with those hating on the game on here is they are forming an opinion based on some clueless mis-informed youtuber making a super negative video to get clicks and even worse then forcing this opinion on those playing the game without even playing it.

The journey to unlocking endgame is a fcuking pain so i agree with those complaining about the game over this period 100%.
    The problem is a game like this only really starts at endgame despite what the misinformed might think.
    Most of these misinformed reviewers and youtubers have not got anywhere near endgame so it makes you wonder about those taking their word as gospel before they embark on their crusades.

As for the story in an endgame focused game? i barely remember the story of diablo3 etc as ive put in so many hundreds of hours since at endgame it all feels irrelevant, same for most looters i play ,some dont even have a story just straight into endgame.

I have not read one single hate post in here from anyone who got to endgame, it has issues ofcourse [which are being addressed very swiftly ie new loot changes coming today] but none of the fcuk ea ,bioware suck so the game sucks blah blah blah! :P

Dcully wrote: »
    Nice to have something away from the drama to talk about but yep you will barely need to go near tarsis at all thankfully as everything you need for going on missions accessing vault forge etc are in the loading bay.

Back to the drama :) my issue with those hating on the game on here is they are forming an opinion based on some clueless mis-informed youtuber making a super negative video to get clicks and even worse then forcing this opinion on those playing the game without even playing it.

The journey to unlocking endgame is a fcuking pain so i agree with those complaining about the game over this period 100%.
    The problem is a game like this only really starts at endgame despite what the misinformed might think.
    Most of these misinformed reviewers and youtubers have not got anywhere near endgame so it makes you wonder about those taking their word as gospel before they embark on their crusades.

As for the story in an endgame focused game? i barely remember the story of diablo3 etc as ive put in so many hundreds of hours since at endgame it all feels irrelevant, same for most looters i play ,some dont even have a story just straight into endgame.

I have not read one single hate post in here from anyone who got to endgame, it has issues ofcourse [which are being addressed very swiftly ie new loot changes coming today] but none of the fcuk ea ,bioware suck so the game sucks blah blah blah! :P

What is the story/lore like on end game? i know i keep asking about story but its one of the things i am very passionate about when it comes to games and with bioware i have high expectations.

Im not seeing much story at endgame at all,maybe its there and im missing it as ive no interest personally in lore at endgame.
    Im finding a lot of codecs but i dont read them .
    Ive subbed to wow for every expansion since release all those years ago and havent a clue about or care about its lore so im the wrong person to be asking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Agreed on the endgame being the focus in a game like this but at the same time, if they're going to put a story in at all it would be nice if they could at least do it well.

Yes i agree but i just wish they left it out at this stage because its what is attracting all the drama and criticism.
    Its why ive said a few times on this thread to anyone on the fence, do not buy this for a story driven experience.

Back to the game, just a heads up for anyone anyone running the luck stat on gear i read they have stated you only need 90% and stacking more than that will see huge diminishing returns.

• Advertisement

I think they will always have the story/lore thing hang over them because of who they are.

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing as they have the potential to Hoover up allot of the people leaving wow .

Is there a raid equivalent at end game ?

Cataclysm`s are coming ,its their raid type content i believe.

Cataclysm`s are coming ,its their raid type content i believe.

It is, but they are only releasing one Cataclysm in May. What they actually need to do is release 3 Cataclysms and about 7 more Strongholds.

3 x raids and 10 x strongholds would give players meat to sink their teeth into.

Releasing no more strongholds and only 1 Cataclysm within a 3 month window just wont cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Someone mentioned a number of posts back that this was a new chase for the shiny coupled with some of the concerns put forward by people on both sides of the fence is the main reason I decided against buying the game.

I grinded Destiny 1 during the dark early days and I just haven't the time to go through all that again. I may not have a jetpack but I've an extremely floaty Warlock.

That being said I hope the game succeeds and is continually supported.

NB: is "grinded" even a word.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

NB: is "grinded" even a word.

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c77e8006547325973549c24

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The one thing you will see repeatedly from those who overall like the game is it is purely for the actual gameplay, everything else is <=Meh . So primarily end-game is about removing that meh and getting right into the meat of it (well after the loading screens :) ).
    The second end-game improvement is loot excitement. The loot as you play is very badly handled, there was no single moment up until the very end for me where any single item made me excited, they were all small incremental improvements to the previous that looked and behaved similarly. Then probably about 10 hours into what would be considered end-game I got my first Master works, after those 10 hours in hard strongholds and freeplay 3 MWs popped for me in one normal Stronghold. They were great, looked unique(ish) had some well thought out talents and perks. Then nothing again for about another 5 or so hours. Move up to GM1 and they finally started popping again,including 1 legendary so far. Great stuff. And makes the lack of this kind of loot design and progression in the early game such an utter failure.

That's end-game here for me no extra story, no exclusive content (yet) just a more refined experience imho that is a lot more fun than the intermediate work.

Another patch

Hey Freelancers,

This morning we will be deploying a patch with the following changes:

The tethering timer for missions has been increased. Players should now have more time to catch up to their Squad before seeing a countdown timer.

The Swarm Tyrant encounter in the Tyrant Mine Stronghold can no longer be reset by the entire Squad exiting to the main menu and rejoining the session in progress.

Players are no longer able to reopen chests that have already been looted in Strongholds.

NOTE: This patch does not include the loot updates that were mentioned HERE last night. The loot updates will still roll out later today (Feb. 28) or tomorrow (Mar. 1).

Good stuff. More positive changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Only glanced at it earlier, so my Handgun that gives +18% damage to my LMG which I dont use will give me plus +18 to my handgun ? But I have to get the handgun again.

Is that correct?

• Advertisement

Well when the loot patch drops anything you already have will be as it was before the patch so yeah you have to go again.

Advertisement