Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

We were competitive... and then Limerick stepped it up a gear.

Kelly wasn't offering anything so I can understand taking him off. In saying that though, Blanchfield hasn't done anything since he came on.

Walter is playing good. And Donnelly is good too but wasted in the full forward line

I wouldn't say limerick exactly stepped it up we missed 2 scorable frees and then 2 poor mistakes which led to goals and we're rightly punished now the confidence is completely gone. The decision making and composure is poor all the hard work gets done then the simple tasks go astray

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Limerick schooling Brian Cody and kk in their own backyard

Words you don’t hear often

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

Physically Limerick are throwing Kilkenny around the place, they done the same to Tipp last week to be fair too.
    But even skill wise they seem to be ahead of Kilkenny too.

conor05 wrote: »
    Physically Limerick are throwing Kilkenny around the place, they done the same to Tipp last week to be fair too.
    But even skill wise they seem to be ahead of Kilkenny too.

Kilkenny lack any power all over the pitch probably bar Walter. They have no physicality at the back or up top. Really poor under a high ball and can't deal with movement. Gillane looks the real deal very physical and plenty of pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

People are going to judge the players on this and their in game management has been shocking but the blame for this is entirely at the feet of the management. No gameplan and a complete inability to affect the game in front of them other than make a sub.

We're still lined up as a rigid 6 up front. Ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Garyp88 wrote: »
    To be honest up until the 2 goals I thought kilkenny were competing well Walter has been a good addition. I stand by what I said 2 weeks ago Kelly is an average free taker and offers nothing from play and was withdrawn. The second goal was an absolute embarrassment the distribution and place balls are a real worry

The limerick lads are so much faster in everything they are doing today. Their speed and support out of defence had us running around in circles. They pulled our backs everywhere yet we continue to just lump it up in hope. Why are we not instructing our forwards to pull their backs out looking for good ball but the other side is we have to deliver ball so much better.
    I know it's just the league but a big lesson today and we have to learn from it.

What's more worrying is how much we miss and value tj from place balls the saving grace is I hope the Ballyhale lads can strengthen the team and bridge a few gaps

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Lets call a spade a spade lads. No more excuses about they are only young. FFS Limerick won an All Ireland with young lads.
    WE ARE NOWHERE NEAR THE STANDARD. Even with Buckley, Hogan and Reid.
    It was the same two weeks ago. Out fought out skilled out everything.
    I would have Limerick, Galway and Clare as the top 3, followed by Tipp, Cork and Wexford next. Kilkenny, Waterford and Dublin towards the end. I'm not too sure we are better than Waterford either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭brookville

People are going to judge the players on this and their in game management has been shocking but the blame for this is entirely at the feet of the management. No gameplan and a complete inability to affect the game in front of them other than make a sub.

We're still lined up as a rigid 6 up front. Ridiculous.
    completly agree with this we were like wild sheep at times running around while they had gillane up top getting quaility ball.We lost all shape in the secound half the 2 goals were killers.we didnt threaten a goal which is dissapointing.i wouldnt be too critical of our fb line very hard to mark their fowards with all their movement and space in front but i think its great learn for tommy and delaney.Both made a few bad mistakes but look they have to learn we know the level we gave to get up to we have an awful amount of work to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Lets call a spade a spade lads. No more excuses about they are only young. FFS Limerick won an All Ireland with young lads.
    WE ARE NOWHERE NEAR THE STANDARD. Even with Buckley, Hogan and Reid.
    It was the same two weeks ago. Out fought out skilled out everything.
    I would have Limerick, Galway and Clare as the top 3, followed by Tipp, Cork and Wexford next. Kilkenny, Waterford and Dublin towards the end. I'm not too sure we are better than Waterford either

Wexford really. When did they become good. Kilkenny and Waterford miles ahead of wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Wexford really. When did they become good. Kilkenny and Waterford miles ahead of wexford.

Kilkenny will struggle to beat Wexford in league and championship, that’s a fact

Wouldn't be sure about that heading down to Innovative park come summer

One thing I noticed down in Ennis was the warm up difference between Kilkenny and Clare. Kilkenny were very traditional, hitting a few balls between eachother and running in a line with a few handful of cones. Clare on the other hand had a intricate warm up session with about 50 cones.
    Kilkenny are still very one dimensional. As much as he has done for us, I just dont think Cody will get us to the required standard. Is he just too stuck in his ways?

One thing I noticed down in Ennis was the warm up difference between Kilkenny and Clare. Kilkenny were very traditional, hitting a few balls between eachother and running in a line with a few handful of cones. Clare on the other hand had a intricate warm up session with about 50 cones.
    Kilkenny are still very one dimensional. As much as he has done for us, I just dont think Cody will get us to the required standard. Is he just too stuck in his ways?

I think you have a point to be honest the game has evolved the last 4/5 years and more emphasis is based around strength and conditioning. Most counties look really bulky and confident winning balls and running teams ragged. Kilkenny look very light and struggle to dominate physically. If you can't compete with the demands your not going to do alot. I think cody has to either adapt to today's standards or have a decent plan b. Take the Puck out if you haven't the physical presence to win your own ball it's just going to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭droppingball

You definitely didn't see any cones never used them, rackard just throws a few balls out. Wouldn't put it down to warm ups. Cody does leave it to the players too much.

All teams are pulling their half forwards out the field, we seem to be the only team where the backs actually follow them. Everyone else leaves their backs mind the house. Gillane is good enough without giving him all that space. No need for panic but I think we will be competitive with a better plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

That was as bad a performance I have seen from the senior team in Nowlan Park in a long, long time.

Limerick were so comfortable and were only in second gear for most of the match.

We seem to be stuck in the stone age compared to the evolution of other counties. I'm afraid cody has to either move with the times or walk away because it's poor if is ego and stubbornness is stopping the team from developing. There's no strategy and no organisation it's been the same the last 3 years. He's been a fantastic manager the best ever but times are changing and we can't deal with it

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭droppingball

We seem to be stuck in the stone age compared to the evolution of other counties. I'm afraid cody has to either move with the times or walk away because it's poor if is ego and stubbornness is stopping the team from developing. There's no strategy and no organisation it's been the same the last 3 years. He's been a fantastic manager the best ever but times are changing and we can't deal with it

Very reactionary there, we were very close to limerick and galway first day last year, it is only February.

Get lads back, get Walter and padraig and other lads games and alter the game plan and we will harder to meet. Still won't win the all ireland but calling for cody is way over the top.

Very reactionary there, we were very close to limerick and galway first day last year, it is only February.

Get lads back, get Walter and padraig and other lads games and alter the game plan and we will harder to meet. Still won't win the all ireland but calling for cody is way over the top.

I'm not calling for him the fact I said the game is changing and we are not that's why we keep getting beat, was dismantled today the same as we was by Galway in the replayed leinster final. Cody must know the strengths and weaknesses but no progress is being made. I hope he can change it but he seems reluctant which is ridiculous or arrogant. The warning signs have been there a while

I'm not calling for him the fact I said the game is changing and we are not that's why we keep getting beat, was dismantled today the same as we was by Galway in the replayed leinster final. Cody must know the strengths and weaknesses but no progress is being made. I hope he can change it but he seems reluctant which is ridiculous or arrogant. The warning signs have been there a while

I'd say he wants to leave on a high, but I don't think it will happen for him with our current players or maybe it's not the players but the game plan.
    I think this will be his last year if there is no progress than All Ireland quarter. If we get to semi than he might stay on.
    We do have a natural successor waiting in the wings. We all know who I'm talking about. I think he would get more out of our current players. Let's wait and see. Cody would be pushed to go that's for sure

• Advertisement

I'd say he wants to leave on a high, but I don't think it will happen for him with our current players or maybe it's not the players but the game plan.
    I think this will be his last year if there is no progress than All Ireland quarter. If we get to semi than he might stay on.
    We do have a natural successor waiting in the wings. We all know who I'm talking about. I think he would get more out of our current players. Let's wait and see. Cody would be pushed to go that's for sure

Exactly he doesn't deserve to be pushed with the service he's given he's the greatest of all time. There just seems to be no progress along with when something doesnt work we carry on doing it like the Puck outs against clare. Watching other counties we seem to be lacking the physical side. The skill and work rate is there but no movement and poor tactics. Watching the forward lines of Cork, clare and limerick are a joy. Physical players, fantastic movement and capable of scoring from anywhere. Maher and leahy are out muscled easy, mossy hasn't hit the heights of his defence but against Waterford but hope he comes good, I like Ryan and donnelly hope they fill out there's plenty of competition and some good talent with better tactics and bulk up we wouldn't be far off

Kilkenny miles ahead of Wexford?

Maybe a few years ago but currently and since 2017 Wexford certainly do not fear Kilkenny. They have beaten us as many times as we have beaten them.

No team fears playing Kilkenny anymore. Limerick made a holy show of them today.

I think TJ Reid masks a lot of KKs problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Not many positives to take from today to be honest.

Limerick were so impressive in fairness to them.

I agree with previous posts highlighting Cody's tactical shortcomings. He owes us nothing and will always have our respect and gratitude but for the sake of Kilkenny hurling perhaps the best thing would be for him to step down at end of season. Limerick were so tactically superior to us today. We continued to lump balls up to or forwards who were outnumbered and outfought again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Village87

3 subs by HT. Missing TJ and Richie Hogan. Who are 32 and 31 this year. Really need some hurlers to step up this year as in 2/3 years time we could be worse than today.
    We will be ok this year when we have everybody including the 2 mentioned and Buckley back, Eoin Murphy, Padraig and Wally Walsh all excellent, few lads around them will step up. But the lads 5/6 years younger than these are really struggling. That gap of no Leinster in u21 for 4/5 years is really starting to show.

Village87 wrote: »
    3 subs by HT. Missing TJ she and Richie Hogan. Who are 32 and 31 this year. Really need some hurlers to step up in 2/3 years time.
    We will be ok this year when we have everybody including the 2 mentioned and Buckley back.

We will be competitive in the championship if TJ, Richie and Buckley can perform like they usually do.

People say we weren’t far away from Limerick last year, only for Eoin Murphy had the game of his life against Gillane Limerick would of hammered us out the gate!

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

3 subs by HT. Missing TJ she and Richie Hogan. Who are 32 and 31 this year. Really need some hurlers to step up this year as in 2/3 years time we could be worse than today.
    We will be ok this year when we have everybody including the 2 mentioned and Buckley back, Eoin Murphy, Padraig and Wally Walsh all excellent, few lads around them will step up. But the lads 5/6 years younger than these are really struggling. That gap of no Leinster in u21 for 4/5 years is really starting to show.

Fogarty and Morrissey were injured

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Village87

Fogarty and Morrissey were injured

Morrissey was doing ok. O Donovan was running midfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

The players aren't a patch on 10 years ago. As a neutral observer he's getting the best out of what he has with regard to work rate etc. No tactics in the world will beat teams who are well superior. Kilkenny players are lightweight compared to Galway and Limerick these days. They may develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

For me all going well up to 2 terrible goals.within a few minutes we went to pot.kelly very poir leahy hit and miss on frees and maher must plsy midfield.add in tj richie ger and cilluan also joey and we will.bd very competitive when it counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Morrissey was doing ok. O Donovan was running midfield

No he was running the half back line because that's where he played from. Mossy was detailed to mark him and didn't know whether to sit or push up. He was completely lost midfield.

I've defended Murphy in here previously but thats only if he plays in the corner. He was a shambles today. How he decided repeatedly it was a good idea to follow Hayes or Dowling or Boylan 20 yards into midfield and watch puck out after puck out go over his head is beyond me. How nobody on the line thought it wasn't something that needed pointing out is worse.

How we let O Donovan drop in as a 4th half back and played with a 3 man full forward line AGAINST THE WIND when we couldn't win a ball on the half forward line is beyond me. Just utter stupidity. If nobody on the line is going to make that call then someone on the field has to realise this and move.

That's the concern. Todays result can be written off. We weren't going to win an All Ireland before today and we're not going to win one now. The concern is that once again we showed an inability to adapt. The second half was just 40 minutes of pure panic hurling with no plan other than lash it forward and hope for the best into a Limerick back line physically stronger and more dominant in the air than us.

Our only plan seems to be cross field ball into the corner which at this level simply isn't good enough.

Everyone in the crowd moaning about the short puck out as if it is the root of all evil especially after the goal despite the fact the short puck out wasn't the problem, Tommy Walsh going across his goal and hanging his full back with a shocking hand pass was the problem. The short puck out won't work for us if we play in the traditional shape and a team goes man to man on our backs as there's no overlap. Contrast Limerick in the second half playing a 2 man forward line inside the 45 with the rest of the forwards in midfield allowing spare men off the shoulder for every man who gets his hand on a ball. Constant options wherever a man turns.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement