Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭brookville

Village87 wrote: »
    Massive match in Thurlus next week now. Tipp will be up for this one after losing yesterday and Kilkenny humiliating them in the league final last year. Cody going to have to change around a few things
    ladt 2 matches look to be very difficult alright.We looled clue less yesterday especially in the 2nd half half.We have being here before during the league hopefully we respond.It will be intresting to see how we react after this and what changes we make we seem to be down a few bodies.Im hoping we learn from this yesterday and it can be a turning point for our season.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭thelostboys23

Kelly was injured prior to taking the last free. He signalled to the line before taking it and they took him off after it....He pointed to his groin area....

Didn't see that thanks would explain his missing it so.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Henry would bring in fresh ideas and understands the modern game.

Again so, What evidence have you that Henry can bring fresh ideas and has brought fresh ideas? Henry was not involved in Shamrocks management of the Under-21 team in 2017 or before. Shamrocks did not become world beaters overnight.

So other than a hunch what evidence have you, oh and leave aside the fact you are the one of the ones who has wanted to get rid of Brian Cody with years.

Village87, I suggest you read what you have answered to my quote. Your answer has no relevance to the question which was for mullinr2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

A point i brought up here many times before, Kilkenny just don't seem to have the skill levels of other teams. Without naming names a lot of Kilkenny hurlers would struggle with the running style that Limerick can bring to a game when needed. Kilkenny lads seem to panic on the ball, cant break a tackle and then hand pass in desperation then, first touch is ,off some are very slow striking. Padraig Walsh can vary his game, go short, go long, solo and draw the man when needed, most others just way off that level. Limerick and other teams can do this at there ease

Cobblers

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Lots of good points being made here, It seems to be the players are lacking abit of confidence and belief, it’s only when we go behind we really start to get a run on teams for the most part. The younger lads are definitely good enough but they don’t seem to belief it. I know their young and learning and hopefully in the summer they’ll be better prepared. Puck outs are a disaster we either hit them short to the corner backs or launch em down to lads who are just standing there in every other county the forwards are moving why arnt ours? Watching limerick and Wexford and other teams play you wouldn’t know where lads are playing but with us it’s clear as day. Ryan donnolly and leahy are great stick men but their tackling is very poor. We should use leahy like Wexford use o Connor or how cork use fitzgibbon. He scored 0-3 yday and 0-4 off the bench against limerick last year and they were all uncontested that’s a good sign of moving into space getting the ball. Donnolly out in the half forwards is much better he’s great vison and just Better there. If Ryan has space and high quality ball into him he’ll cause damage. Looks like Cody is trying to find a corner forward for championship.

We are lacking physically but we’re lacking aggression too. I don’t think Deegan is the awnser at the 6 but we’re stuck enough. Come championship tj will be after doing a lot of hurling and there’s no guarantee Hogan will come back to his best either, to me that’s more worrying but still hopefull he will. Tj was always going to be missed he’s also a leader and so is Buckley that should also be remembered.

Looking forward to tipp next week it’s always a belter of a game and you’d suspect both teams will be well fired up after last week and it’s Cody against heedy again. Hopefully for once we can leave space In front our full forward line and protect our backs abit better. Suspect there will be changes. Hopefully a lad that takes the frees for his club is starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

KK played in 3 minor finals between 08-10, winnning two and adding another in 14. Two u21 final appearances in 2012 and 2017. Can anyone tell me why a hurling empire like them hasn’t developed players and skill like we are seeing in other counties? Growing up; goals and moments of magic made me love Kilkenny, that’s unrealistic right now.

Cast your mind back to 2015, kk were top dogs- it’s been some fall. The tipp defeat in 2016 has knocked them back some bit. But , it is only the league. Kk will die with their boots on come summer as we know with Cody. On their day, they could beat anyone but deep down right now, teams seem to have to much for them in the home stretch. Teams can get at them. That competative edge will always be there but it will be a right struggle on current form for this crop to get out of Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Yesterday was certainly a poor performance from the lads and we are not really helping ourselves with our delivery of ball out from the backs. Just one passage of play summed it up for me. For the 1st goal Delaney, albeit in his 1st senior game at full back completely stood off his man and gave him the time to gather and leave him for dead. The aggression was just not there from any of our players. I would say we won 10% of our delivery into our full forward line. This just won't cut it.
    If we start with diagonal balls into oncoming forwards then we will have so much more possession to create scoring chances.
    We have to stop playing as individuals and take more time in picking lads out with direct fast ball. This includes murphy in the goal as we are just not strong enough in the aerial game at the minute. We didn't trouble the limerick goal at all yesterday and lads have to be cuter in what they do. Mossy for all his hurling is never a midfielder.
    Our play is more often than not funnelled into the centre where we should be using the space on the wings to open up the play. This will leave gaps for our midfielders and half forwards to run in to but we have to start using our heads.
    To tipp on Sunday i think we will use this wake up call to work better as a unit.
    The lads will know this and I hope cody will send out the strongest team available.
    I personally think not fit enough as we were left for dead many times yesterday.
    Conor Browne lost possession at one stage and seemed to have given up the chase on his man.
    It was a tough start for Delaney at 3 but his pace and will to get out with his man will need to improve. I for one certainly hope it does.

E Murphy
    Paul murphy
    Huw Lawlor ( Delaney if Lawlor injured)
    Tommy Walsh
    Conor Delaney (enda Morrissey if Delaney at 3)
    Paddy deegan
    Padraig walsh
    JamesMaher
    Conor fogarty
    John Donnelly
    Liam blanchfield
    Richie Leahy
    Billy Ryan
    Walter Walsh
    Mossy keoghan

Don't know how the following are with injuries, fitness.

Ger aylward
    Richie hogan

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Yesterday was certainly a poor performance from the lads and we are not really helping ourselves with our delivery of ball out from the backs. Just one passage of play summed it up for me. For the 1st goal Delaney, albeit in his 1st senior game at full back completely stood off his man and gave him the time to gather and leave him for dead. The aggression was just not there from any of our players. I would say we won 10% of our delivery into our full forward line. This just won't cut it.
    If we start with diagonal balls into oncoming forwards then we will have so much more possession to create scoring chances.
    We have to stop playing as individuals and take more time in picking lads out with direct fast ball. This includes murphy in the goal as we are just not strong enough in the aerial game at the minute. We didn't trouble the limerick goal at all yesterday and lads have to be cuter in what they do. Mossy for all his hurling is never a midfielder.
    Our play is more often than not funnelled into the centre where we should be using the space on the wings to open up the play. This will leave gaps for our midfielders and half forwards to run in to but we have to start using our heads.
    To tipp on Sunday i think we will use this wake up call to work better as a unit.
    The lads will know this and I hope cody will send out the strongest team available.
    I personally think not fit enough as we were left for dead many times yesterday.
    Conor Browne lost possession at one stage and seemed to have given up the chase on his man.
    It was a tough start for Delaney at 3 but his pace and will to get out with his man will need to improve. I for one certainly hope it does.

E Murphy
    Paul murphy
    Tommy Walsh
    Paddy deegan
    Padraig walsh
    JamesMaher
    Conor fogarty
    John Donnelly
    Liam blanchfield
    Richie Leahy
    Billy Ryan
    Walter Walsh
    Mossy keoghan

Ger aylward
    Richie hogan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭brookville

i wouldnt be that critical of our full back line yesterday i thought they done ok considering what space was in front of them was madness.We really needed a few leaders to stand up yesterday and tell and guide lads.I think delaney should be given another few matches at 3.It was obvious the size difference between the teams we definitly seem to be a bit behind the top teams.
    mossy wasnt affective yesterday but i dont think he'll work corner foward.we need good finishers inside with good first touches and speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

Why in the name of God would Henry take the Kilkenny job now.he has a team of young guys who have just put back to back u21.tj still unplayable at club level. They could go and put 4 or 5 kk championship together and a few paddys
    Day outings. His chance will come but he is a shamrocks man first.

Agree with this, Ballyhale have a bucket load of young talent (do they ever not) that Henry has tapped into to get them county, Leinster and possibly all Ireland success.

He will defo stay as Ballyhale managers for 3-5 years.

When a lot of them Ballyhale lads are around the 23- 24 age mark he might take the Kilkenny job.

Evan Shefflin
    Eoin Cody
    Adrian Mullen
    Darren Mullen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Topcat32

E Murphy
    Paul murphy
    Tommy Walsh
    Paddy deegan
    Padraig walsh
    JamesMaher
    Conor fogarty
    John Donnelly
    Liam blanchfield
    Richie Leahy
    Billy Ryan
    Walter Walsh
    Mossy keoghan

Ger aylward
    Richie hogan

The Limerick game was disappointing but we were missing Joey Holden Cillian Buckley, TJ Reid, Richie Hogan, Colin Fennelly, Ger Aylward, Adrian Mullen and Huw Lawlor. I think all 8 would start if fit. It's a lot to absorb for a panel that is generally inexperienced and somewhat lightweight at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

conor05 wrote: »
    Agree with this, Ballyhale have a bucket load of young talent (do they ever not) that Henry has tapped into to get them county, Leinster and possibly all Ireland success.

He will defo stay as Ballyhale managers for 3-5 years.

When a lot of them Ballyhale lads are around the 23- 24 age mark he might take the Kilkenny job.

Evan Shefflin
    Eoin Cody
    Adrian Mullen
    Darren Mullen

100% and two of those lads are his nephew's
    He is time enough getting involved when all the guys he played with have moved on.
    Let the 4 lads mentioned above find their feet.
    If their is a vacancy and I don't think theiris

• Registered Users Posts: 49 scrawnyass

Kilkenny will be there or thereabouts when Championship rolls around. Everyone knows this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Village87

scrawnyass wrote: »
    Kilkenny will be there or thereabouts when Championship rolls around. Everyone knows this.

They will be as Leinster is weak compared to Munster. Beat Dublin at home first up and Kilkenny at worst will be in an All Ireland QF. A Leinster team have not won an AI u21 since Kilkenny 2008. Leinster counties have never been as weak

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

They will be as Leinster is weak compared to Munster. Beat Dublin at home first up and Kilkenny at worst will be in an All Ireland QF. A Leinster team have not won an AI u21 since Kilkenny 2008. Leinster counties have never been as weak

What has under 21 got to do with it? "Leinster" counties have won 3 out of the last 5 All Irelands. Go back to the mid to late noughties before Galway came into Leinster you trying to tell me Leinster was stronger then?

What has under 21 got to do with it? "Leinster" counties have won 3 out of the last 5 All Irelands. Go back to the mid to late noughties before Galway came into Leinster you trying to tell me Leinster was stronger then?

I was referring to the traditional Leinster counties, Kilkenny, Wexford, Dublin, Laois, Offaly

I was referring to the traditional Leinster counties, Kilkenny, Wexford, Dublin, Laois, Offaly

Galway is part of Leinster now so you can't exclude them. Wexford are at their strongest since the mid to late 90's, Dublin are well ahead of where they were 12 to 15 years ago and Offaly and Laois are not even competing in the the Leinster Championship!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Don't you love the "I know more than you" competitions that go on in here when KK get beaten.

Its actually funny the carry on of some of the lads trying to analyse the match ,and then the analysis of their analysis ….. and then the analysis and the …….. etc etc...

Jesus lads yee don't know it all. Other peoples opinions count too ….

We were wayyyy off the pace, skillwise, tactics , effort. Not good enough at all.
    A short summer in store for us.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

greenspurs wrote: »
    Don't you love the "I know more than you" competitions that go on in here when KK get beaten.

Its actually funny the carry on of some of the lads trying to analyse the match ,and then the analysis of their analysis ….. and then the analysis and the …….. etc etc...

Jesus lads yee don't know it all. Other peoples opinions count too ….

We were wayyyy off the pace, skillwise, tactics , effort. Not good enough at all.
    A short summer in store for us.

How short are you predicting? Baring in mind that a win at home to Dublin and away to Carlow would probably be enough to qualify us in third.

Skills?
    What skills in particular are people saying that we are off the pace?
    Maybe rather than the generalisation people would name the skill and give an example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Skills?
    What skills in particular are people saying that we are off the pace?
    Maybe rather than the generalisation people would name the skill and give an example.

Hand pass, fielding high ball, finding a team mate, some lads need more than one attempt to rise the sliotar.

( Speaking of skill - How good was Barry Murphys point in the second half when he chased the KK player (cant remember who it was) , hooked him, rose it in one go, and struck it over the bar - A great score)

Also, wasn't it strange to see a jersey without a sponsor on the front of it ? a throw back to the 80s :)
    original.jpg

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Hand pass, fielding high ball, finding a team mate, some lads need more than one attempt to rise the sliotar.

( Speaking of skill - How good was Barry Murphys point in the second half when he chased the KK player (cant remember who it was) , hooked him, rose it in one go, and struck it over the bar - A great score)

Also, wasn't it strange to see a jersey without a sponsor on the front of it ? a throw back to the 80s :)
    original.jpg

Be curious to know why JP cut his ties with Sporting Limerick considering it was his baby. Apparently Adare Manor (owned by JP) sponsor their training gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I think the Limerick jersey without the sponsor looks really good and classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Skill wise I don't think there was much of a difference. Actually Kilkenny caught more high ball than Limerick. And Kilkenny won most of the messy rucks.. The hand passing and stick passing of Limerick was much better . Their power was superior aswell. Dan Morrissey is in some shape..unbelievable condition. Kilkenny are a bit off in strength and Conditioning in comparison.
    For me the biggest difference was confidence. Kilkenny have very little and it's getting drained more and more. Codys fantastic management of great players doesn't transfer as easily to good to average players. Some of these young guys need to be left on even when they aren't playing well. The template of whipping guys off isn't working right now. Imagine the peace of mind a kid gets when being told ..'you 'll play at least 50mins today so relax '.
    Kilkenny could beat Limerick if they meet them again. It's obviously possible they could get another pasting too. What I think the major issue is, is there isnt 3 top performances in a row in that team. And that's ok.
    A word on Limerick. They are good. As a county they are abit of an anolomy. With the rugby and sport in general being held in such high regard. Limerick people have a wierd collective memory of that great team of the 1930's and the battles with Kilkenny. So they remember Mick Mackey and Jackie Power and the relentlessness of that era so the winning sits easier with them than it does with say Clare . Their backroom team looks like it's on a different planet to Codys. It's like a professional team coming to play ball. Cody needs a bigger backroom .

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭therealdonster

C__MC wrote: »
    KK played in 3 minor finals between 08-10, winnning two and adding another in 14. Two u21 final appearances in 2012 and 2017. Can anyone tell me why a hurling empire like them hasn’t developed players and skill like we are seeing in other counties? Growing up; goals and moments of magic made me love Kilkenny, that’s unrealistic right now.

Cast your mind back to 2015, kk were top dogs- it’s been some fall. The tipp defeat in 2016 has knocked them back some bit. But , it is only the league. Kk will die with their boots on come summer as we know with Cody. On their day, they could beat anyone but deep down right now, teams seem to have to much for them in the home stretch. Teams can get at them. That competative edge will always be there but it will be a right struggle on current form for this crop to get out of Leinster.

Other counties adapted to Kilkenny. The sweeper system is a direct response to us. We have always had the most skilful players, especially forwards and the sweeper was created as a mechanism for nullifying us.

One thing which never seems to get pointed out is the fact that of all of the recognised hurling counties we have the smallest population. If you break the numbers down to males of playing age then the numbers are staggeringly low, which makes our 36 All Irelands all the more remarkable. All of this without a big urban centre and all the amenities that go with that (university, industry etc). When it comes to hurling, we are the people and always will be.

I think when it comes to championship we will be there or there abouts.

Handpass - I'll give you that, If you read my post from yesterday I mentioned it. But I also gave a reason of how it needs and can improve. All our players can handpass a ball. Mossy Keoghan gave a nice handpass to James Maher for a point in the first half. But its not the handpass itself that is the issue, is it? Its the execution of it. Now more than ever it takes two to make a good handpass because unlike James Maher receiving the ball standing still, the handpass now has to be given on the run to a player taking it on the run in the same direction. This has now become a basic and it goes back to the clubs who are responsible for the basics. How does your own club coach the handpass for example?. I'm sure like pretty much every club in the county. It is being coached with two players running in the opposite direction and handpassing as they head to each other. How often in match does this happen? Really doesn't happen that a teammate comes at pace in the opposite direction to you. The handpass now needs to be coached with two lads moving in the same direction with the receiver moving faster.

Finding A Team Mate: Its a vague enough skill, but maybe our players are more used to having their team mate run towards them in the opposite direction? But I would have said this comes down to tactical teamwork. If all the players are in the wrong place or moving the wrong direction, to me your skillset would be highly challenged. If you consider it a skill, that's fair enough too, but that's one of reason why I'm asking for examples of skill so as we all interpret the same. Off the pace as regards skill was a very general statement. There was no point in disagreeing for the sake of it without specifics.

High Fielding - Could not agree here. Take two of youngest players on Sunday, Tommy Walsh and Michael Carey. Both outfielded their direct opponent in the air. You might reconsider this one.

Rising the Ball - Again couldn't agree. The pace of the game and the rucks means that you could pick on any player from any county including flavour of the month Aaron Gillane and show examples of where they couldn't rise the ball first time. Rucks are part of the game and the ball has to stay in until somebody manages to get it to hand and that rarely happens first time. I would be worried if you come back with an example of one of lads failing consistently to rise the ball when nobody is on him, but I don't recall any of them.

Handpass - I'll give you that, If you read my post from yesterday I mentioned it. But I also gave a reason of how it needs and can improve. All our players can handpass a ball. Mossy Keoghan gave a nice handpass to James Maher for a point in the first half. But its not the handpass itself that is the issue, is it? Its the execution of it. Now more than ever it takes two to make a good handpass because unlike James Maher receiving the ball standing still, the handpass now has to be given on the run to a player taking it on the run in the same direction. This has now become a basic and it goes back to the clubs who are responsible for the basics. How does your own club coach the handpass for example?. I'm sure like pretty much every club in the county. It is being coached with two players running in the opposite direction and handpassing as they head to each other. How often in match does this happen? Really doesn't happen that a teammate comes at pace in the opposite direction to you. The handpass now needs to be coached with two lads moving in the same direction with the receiver moving faster.

Finding A Team Mate: Its a vague enough skill, but maybe our players are more used to having their team mate run towards them in the opposite direction? But I would have said this comes down to tactical teamwork. If all the players are in the wrong place or moving the wrong direction, to me your skillset would be highly challenged. If you consider it a skill, that's fair enough too, but that's one of reason why I'm asking for examples of skill so as we all interpret the same. Off the pace as regards skill was a very general statement. There was no point in disagreeing for the sake of it without specifics.

High Fielding - Could not agree here. Take two of youngest players on Sunday, Tommy Walsh and Michael Carey. Both outfielded their direct opponent in the air. You might reconsider this one.

Rising the Ball - Again couldn't agree. The pace of the game and the rucks means that you could pick on any player from any county including flavour of the month Aaron Gillane and show examples of where they couldn't rise the ball first time. Rucks are part of the game and the ball has to stay in until somebody manages to get it to hand and that rarely happens first time. I would be worried if you come back with an example of one of lads failing consistently to rise the ball when nobody is on him, but I don't recall any of them.

Look Paul Murphy is an all star corner back but he genuinely is struggling in all the points you mentioned above. Limerick were very successful on puck outs because Paul Murphy followed his man and created the space for Limerick to run into. If it happened once fair enough but it happened over the course of 70 minutes. Murphy does not look for a clever option he just strikes 90 yards when he can, hitting the opposition keeper or a spare back who can can start another attack from there. Clare got a goal last week from this and i stated it here and got shot down straight away.

Look Paul Murphy is an all star corner back but he genuinely is struggling in all the points you mentioned above. Limerick were very successful on puck outs because Paul Murphy followed his man and created the space for Limerick to run into. If it happened once fair enough but it happened over the course of 70 minutes. Murphy does not look for a clever option he just strikes 90 yards when he can, hitting the opposition keeper or a spare back who can can start another attack from there. Clare got a goal last week from this and i stated it here and got shot down straight away.

Unfortunately, you really do struggle to comprehend what the discussion is about. I think you want to post something so as you can knock something or other Kilkenny, so you pick a post, any post, quote it and write what is in your head, relevant or not. In summary, above you have decided Paul Murphy is a Skill-less hurler. Whether you meant to or not, I'm not sure. You do have a long list of negative posts though. If we proceed on this we are saying Paul Murphy is the bar for measuring all our county hurlers. Does that make sense?

I certainly would not agree that Paul Murphy is Skill-less. His ability to pick up ball from rucks is top class. He has a huge strike on the ball. His high fielding can be brilliant as seen in the Cork match only 3 weeks ago. He is a tiger driving on to mid height balls and controlling them at pace. I would be worried about our sport if a man who has 4 AIs, 4 Leinster, 3NHL and 4 All-Stars is deemed skillless. That would be a huge reflection on every other player from every other county who hasn't that amount of awards.

Now if you said, his decision making can be questionable. Then we have some common ground. Is decision making a skill? Wouldn't disagree. But is it the type of skill posters say is "off the pace" rather than mechanical skills. "off the pace" suggests physical rather than mental. Those posters and yourself might need to clarify because the solutions are not same, are they?

The poster I replied to said it was a general Kilkenny issue. You've picked a single player and that's fair enough, but should the discussion be about individuals or the overall picture. I'm more inclined towards discussing the limitations in our club coaches and the contribution of the lack of football as I posted yesterday. (BTW nobody has disagreed with it, or maybe they felt it merited no response) You are in the Brian Cody out camp which is a very specific agenda and doesn't allow for discussion because your only supporting argument is a match loss which is just as easily balanced by a match win. My points do not go away no matter who is manager unless the clubs by in.

I presume you are coaching in your club or maybe at county level even. What approach are you taking to set your players up for the modern inter county game?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Unfortunately, you really do struggle to comprehend what the discussion is about. I think you want to post something so as you can knock something or other Kilkenny, so you pick a post, any post, quote it and write what is in your head, relevant or not. In summary, above you have decided Paul Murphy is a Skill-less hurler. Whether you meant to or not, I'm not sure. You do have a long list of negative posts though. If we proceed on this we are saying Paul Murphy is the bar for measuring all our county hurlers. Does that make sense?

I certainly would not agree that Paul Murphy is Skill-less. His ability to pick up ball from rucks is top class. He has a huge strike on the ball. His high fielding can be brilliant as seen in the Cork match only 3 weeks ago. He is a tiger driving on to mid height balls and controlling them at pace. I would be worried about our sport if a man who has 4 AIs, 4 Leinster, 3NHL and 4 All-Stars is deemed skillless. That would be a huge reflection on every other player from every other county who hasn't that amount of awards.

Now if you said, his decision making can be questionable. Then we have some common ground. Is decision making a skill? Wouldn't disagree. But is it the type of skill posters say is "off the pace" rather than mechanical skills. "off the pace" suggests physical rather than mental. Those posters and yourself might need to clarify because the solutions are not same, are they?

The poster I replied to said it was a general Kilkenny issue. You've picked a single player and that's fair enough, but should the discussion be about individuals or the overall picture. I'm more inclined towards discussing the limitations in our club coaches and the contribution of the lack of football as I posted yesterday. (BTW nobody has disagreed with it, or maybe they felt it merited no response) You are in the Brian Cody out camp which is a very specific agenda and doesn't allow for discussion because your only supporting argument is a match loss which is just as easily balanced by a match win. My points do not go away no matter who is manager unless the clubs by in.

I presume you are coaching in your club or maybe at county level even. What approach are you taking to set your players up for the modern inter county game?

Did he say Paul Murphy was "skill-less"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

From an outsider looking in , Paul Murphy isn't the player he was. I consider him fantastic coming straight onto a medium to high ball. His decision making is poor. A low ball in and he's all at sea. None of that is new. He's always been poor on a low ball in. It's the hardest thing to tackle anyway..any challenge on the likes of Mulcahy looks like GBH. What has deteriorated is his recovery. He used to be able to have a second go on the corner forward but he can't anymore.
    I think Kilkenny have bigger problems than Paul Murphy in the fullback line. I'd stick with Huw Lawlor at full..he looks the most sensible bet. The biggest issue is letting the oppositions wing backs have free reign to hit in diagonal low balls. No defensive line since the great Chicago Bears team of the 70s could cope with that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement