Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Trampas wrote: »

I dont see anything wrong with what Kuch did, he actually gave the guy more than they agreed and then when it turned viral offered him 3 times more again.

Non-story.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I would totally carry Kuch's bag for 5k a week. 1/4 million a year ;) Thats a fine salary! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nah he won 1,300,000 million, he gave his caddy 5k. He's already a multi millionaire the money means very little to him. The standard rate for the caddy is 10%. Now he's not the regular caddy so 5% would have been decent. He gave him 0.38%. It was a tight arse move.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Rikand wrote:
    I would totally carry Kuch's bag for 5k a week. 1/4 million a year Thats a fine salary!

So would I but what's that got to do with this story?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Nah he won 1,300,000 million, he gave his caddy 5k. He's already a multi millionaire the money means very little to him. The standard rate for the caddy is 10%. Now he's not the regular caddy so 5% would have been decent. He gave him 0.38%. It was a tight arse move.

This has painted the god loving golly gosh golfer as a right tight ass, Especially if his one time caddie is a pro caddie normally and would expect the normal win ratio that caddies get, never heard of him but I'd doubt he would try it on with the likes of Stevie Williams,Colin Byrne etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

So would I but what's that got to do with this story?

Earlier poster clearly made reference to Kuchar now struggling to get a caddy

Nice to be watching golf and not have to listen to mark roe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Remind me wrote: »
    Nice to be watching golf and not have to listen to mark roe

Is it back on?

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    This has painted the god loving golly gosh golfer as a right tight ass, Especially if his one time caddie is a pro caddie normally and would expect the normal win ratio that caddies get, never heard of him but I'd doubt he would try it on with the likes of Stevie Williams,Colin Byrne etc

The caddy agreed to a fixed amout before the tournament and kuchar gave him more than that anyway. I'm sure the caddy would have been delighted with 5k instead of 5% if kuch had missed the cut.

He got more than the standard temp caddy, more then he agreed to work for and was offered 3 times more again.

I reckon kuch gets a new caddy before yer man gets a new bag. No player wants that hassle, might as well have the greatest kiwi sportsman ever on the bag.

Is it back on?

Yeap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭bren2001

GreeBo wrote: »
    The cash agreed to a fixed about before the tournament and kuchar gave him not than that anyway. I'm sure the caddy would have been delighted with 5k instead of 5% if kuch had missed the cut.

He got the more than the standard temp caddy, more then he agreed to work for and was offered 3 times more again.

I reckon kuch gets a new caddy before yer man gets a new bag. No player wants that hassle, might as well have the greatest kiwi sportsman ever on the bag.

He got far less than the standard temp caddie. Peter Lawrie discussed this on Golf Weekly. On European Tour events there's typically a sign informing temp caddies of the typical arrangement of 10%.

Kuchar entered last minute. Had no realistic reason to believe he was going to win. Somehow won the tournament and pocketed 1.3 million (ok there's taxes and other costs too). That caddie had something to do with that. I think it's an absolute disgrace to only pay him the 5k. 5% to him and 5% to his regular caddie seems fair to me.

It’s going off at 11, golf channel not continuing the coverage.

golf
    bren2001 wrote: »
    He got far less than the standard temp caddie. Peter Lawrie discussed this on Golf Weekly. On European Tour events there's typically a sign informing temp caddies of the typical arrangement of 10%.

Kuchar entered last minute. Had no realistic reason to believe he was going to win. Somehow won the tournament and pocketed 1.3 million (ok there's taxes and other costs too). That caddie had something to do with that. I think it's an absolute disgrace to only pay him the 5k. 5% to him and 5% to his regular caddie seems fair to me.

"I've done enough tournaments and had enough weekly caddies and I'm very clear about what the payment will be. And we had an arrangement Tuesday that David was okay with, and I thought Sunday he was very much okay with it."

No one forced the caddy to carry.

"An additional $15,000 was offered, but Ortiz said he turned it down because he believed he deserved another $45,000. “No thank you. They can keep their money.”"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Annoying coverage is stopping so early... for us. Just saw the following on the Golf Channel's Facebook

"First-round coverage of the Genesis Open continues exclusively on PGA Tour Live on NBC Sports Gold!"

GreeBo wrote: »
    golf

"I've done enough tournaments and had enough weekly caddies and I'm very clear about what the payment will be. And we had an arrangement Tuesday that David was okay with, and I thought Sunday he was very much okay with it."

No one forced the caddy to carry.

"An additional $15,000 was offered, but Ortiz said he turned it down because he believed he deserved another $45,000. “No thank you. They can keep their money.”"

Ultimately, Kuchar honored their agreement and in fact gave him $1000 more.

However, the $15,000 was offered only very recently. It wasn't offered by Kuchar himself but his management team. It was hush money as there was a non-disclosure agreement associated with it. For a man who's won over 40 million in prize money, this is awful publicity for him and his management team clearly agree. It's just stingy. He deserves the bad press he's getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Bag carrier signed up to a low-risk easy money contract ensuring he gets paid regardless of win or not. The world doesn't work the way he wants it to. You have to take risks to get big money. If a taxi-driver drives me to a business meeting where I sign a multimillion contract. I'll not be giving taxi-driver 45grand tip.

LOL. Kuch will never have a worry trying to find someone to carry his golf sticks around a course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Bag carrier signed up to a low-risk easy money contract ensuring he gets paid regardless of win or not. The world doesn't work the way he wants it to. You have to take risks to get big money. If a taxi-driver drives me to a business meeting where I sign a multimillion contract. I'll not be giving taxi-driver 45grand tip.

LOL. Kuch will never have a worry trying to find someone to carry his golf sticks around a course :)

I mean that's not the point. Of course Kuch will always find a caddy. Doesn't mean its not a dick move and won't stop the deserved negative PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

RoadRunner wrote:

Well the guy who drove Kuchar to the course doesn't deserve a percentage but the caddy is usually considered part of the player's team.

First Up wrote: »
    Well the guy who drove Kuchar to the course doesn't deserve a percentage but the caddy is usually considered part of the player's team.

Usually, except never for a temp caddy for Kuchar.
    They had a contract which was more than met.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I'd be definitely on the side of it being very tight by Kuchar.

• Advertisement

Kuchar to give El Tucan the 50k by the looks of it:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PGATOURComms/status/1096524302738968579/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

bren2001 wrote: »
    Kuchar to give El Tucan the 50k by the looks of it:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PGATOURComms/status/1096524302738968579/photo/1

Damage limitation at this stage.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Jesus american apologies are such overblown melodrama fests. Just send the guy the 50k cheque you should have given him the day of the event and all sorted. “Not who i am or what i represent.” Well, evidently it is on both counts or you wouldn’t have had to be shamed into such an abject, cringe inducing apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Jesus american apologies are such overblown melodrama fests. Just send the guy the 50k cheque you should have given him the day of the event and all sorted. “Not who i am or what i represent.†Well, evidently it is on both counts or you wouldn’t have had to be shamed into such an abject, cringe inducing apology.

Not his finest moment for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I fear that caddy will struggle to actually get another gig.

Short term thinking by the caddy who has now gone from the positive of been part of a win to been potentially been percieved as an awkward guy.

The problem seems to be that the caddy didn't negotiate the right deal.

What he should have done was learnt from that mistake and drive on.

The outcome should have been that David should have been "that guy that ended Matts 4 years without a win" situation.

Now it's "the guy who threw a strop over money"

The caddy probably deserved more then he got.

But in the context of the original deal - a win wasn't expected.

It would have been a reasonable weeks work on the original deal.

Long term the benefit of simply been associated with the win could outweigh by a long shot getting paid a sum of money NOT in the original deal.

Coming at this from a viewpoint of been concerned for the caddys future

I think you’re mistaking the guy for a regular tour caddy who would have had experience of lifting pro bags and making these deals. He was/is a local bagman who earns/ed typically 100-200 bucks per round when he managed to get work.

I’d say wealthy americans visiting that club would love nothing better than to have a local celebrity carry their bag and to give him a generous tip. So he’ll do alright out of it I imagine.

I think you’re mistaking the guy for a regular tour caddy who would have had experience of lifting pro bags and making these deals. He was/is a local bagman who earns/ed typically 100-200 bucks per round when he managed to get work.

I’d say wealthy americans visiting that club would love nothing better than to have a local celebrity carry their bag and to give him a generous tip. So he’ll do alright out of it I imagine.

See its the fact that he normally gets much less money that makes his stance harder to understand.

Old diesel wrote: »
    See its the fact that he normally gets much less money that makes his stance harder to understand.

I guess in the heel of the hunt he’s got his 50 grand (we assume that’s what it was) and will go back to his original gig, as he always intended to do, so I don’t see it as being particularly complex from that pov.

This has obviously all played out for several weeks behind the scenes, with back and forth between the sides. I honestly don’t know where it hasn’t occurred to the golfers side to come to conclusion this guys been a bit cheeky, demanding 50k (less than 4%) of the cut, well let’s just give it to him and get him off our backs. No more is heard of it.

Instead they dig their heels in, this chancer is trying to blackmail us, we had a deal, i already gave him more than we agreed (1k)....who does he think he is etc

Did they ever stop for a moment and think how those optics were gonna play out?

• Advertisement

I guess in the heel of the hunt he’s got his 50 grand (we assume that’s what it was) and will go back to his original gig, as he always intended to do, so I don’t see it as being particularly complex from that pov.

This has obviously all played out for several weeks behind the scenes, with back and forth between the sides. I honestly don’t know where it hasn’t occurred to the golfers side to come to conclusion this guys been a bit cheeky, demanding 50k (less than 4%) of the cut, well let’s just give it to him and get him off our backs. No more is heard of it.

Instead they dig their heels in, this chancer is trying to blackmail us, we had a deal, i already gave him more than we agreed (1k)....who does he think he is etc

Did they ever stop for a moment and think how those optics were gonna play out?

Yes Kuchar doesnt look the best either

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement