Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This is just a personal statement and not intended as offensive, but Kerry accents (many Munster accents actually) really hurt my ears. I doubt I’ll be able to tolerate Donaghy even doing basketball (which I’m hugely interested in and is barely covered in the Irish media) for that reason.

Does that mean he will be using those Basketball American-isms when discussing GAA? :D

Like the Cork fella 'Tim McCarthy' who commentates on Basketball

'Down town charlie brown' is my favorite one of Timmy's.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Not as much as Andrew Scott IMO
    lvmval78lrimguej2do3

He doesnt have the geansai though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

I'm not sure what it is about the whole show that has turned me off. Hard to put my finger on it because there are still certain times that it's very good (Paper review with Kimmage being one example). But here are just a few things:

The whole Gerbrandt Grobler witch hunt by them (primarily Ger Gilroy)
    The Boyle Sports endorsement, especially when taking into account their holier-than-thou attitude to most topics(again, primarily Gilroy)
    The golf podcast was a big favourite of mine but Fionn Davenport & Peter Lawrie have dragged that down to a level that is impossible to enjoy. There is a smugness there that I just felt uncomfortable listening to(maybe it's just me). Also it was difficult to hear Joe at times, like he was too far away from the mic or something. Turning up the volume was a pain because the others were then too loud.

And then there is Dave McIntyre. Again, maybe it's just me, but I have an inexplicable dislike for him. It was bad enough when it was just listening to him, but now when I watch the show on Youtube having to look at him too makes me nearly come out in a rash!! If I had one word to describe him it would be "condescending".

Wednesday night rugby. I like Eddie O'Sullivan, but Ruari O'Connor? Somebody tell him he is on the show to entertain the masses, not bore us to death.

Someone will obviously say "why listen then"? Well I like my sport and there aren't many alternatives. Also sometimes they come up with superb bits and pieces. ROG on OTBAM yesterday was brilliant for instance.

I was a big fan of McDevitt & Co on Newstalk before they left so I've started to listen to their Podcast in the last 6 months or so and there is no comparison with regards to their content and delivery of said content. It's a much more listener friendly affair and the lads seem to be able to deliver quality content without seeming to try too hard to be edgy or anything.

Look, it's not the worst thing in the world or anything but the presenters, the vibe, the smugness etc has just really started to grate with me over the last 12 months or so. Maybe I've just outgrown it. Maybe I'm in a complete minority and that's OK. I'm not trying to tell anyone what to listen to or what not to listen to. I'd just be interested to know if it's just me that has had this feeling about OTB for the last while?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Dave McIntyre as a commentator is so annoying. I hate that thing he does where he exaggerates parts of sentences...

Like..."The ball is coming across and it's really FIZZED across the box". His voice goes coarse or something, can't describe it really. Can't stand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I love the SW accent. Still don't listen to most of the show because of the regular presenters but will definitely tune into the star.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

I don't listen to this often but I agree, Gilroy and McIntyre are awful! McIntyre is the kind of fella who thinks they're an expert on everything, he's never wrong! Gilroy tries to make jokes and they fall flat. Again, I don't listen that often but Molloy is very good and I don't mind any of the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Brexit down the pub league starts tonight lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

The whole Gerbrandt Grobler witch hunt by them (primarily Ger Gilroy)

The morning show is difficult to watch when he's on it. Sitting in the corner, making smart, smug, condescending "jokes" about the sports headlines. The underlying social justice crusade also has a lot to with Gilroy as well. They would be better off just keeping him off air to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The morning show is difficult to watch when he's on it. Sitting in the corner, making smart, smug, condescending "jokes" about the sports headlines. The underlying social justice crusade also has a lot to with Gilroy as well. They would be better off just keeping him off air to be honest.

So underlying that only some can see it...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The underlying social justice crusade also has a lot to with Gilroy as well.

Doesn't include gambling though funnily enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

So underlying that only some can see it...

Do you think the show is as good as it has ever been?
    As good as the previous incarnation with Ken and Eoin?

I agree with the above poster that Ger would actually be better behind the scenes at this stage. That way he seems to belittle certain things with a little sarcastic snigger or throws his hands up in the air annoys me.

Don’t get me started on that car crash of a poscast they started recently. All the dads on it? Give me a break. I watched one episode recently and it is bad, i mean really bad

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Wednesday night rugby. I like Eddie O'Sullivan, but Ruari O'Connor? Somebody tell him he is on the show to entertain the masses, not bore us to death.

O'Connor knows his stuff so I don't mind him. He's there as the Irish Times ban meant no more Gerry Thornley or Gavin Cummisky.

Look, it's not the worst thing in the world or anything but the presenters, the vibe, the smugness etc has just really started to grate with me over the last 12 months or so. Maybe I've just outgrown it. Maybe I'm in a complete minority and that's OK. I'm not trying to tell anyone what to listen to or what not to listen to. I'd just be interested to know if it's just me that has had this feeling about OTB for the last while?

I basically a a stage ahead of you I just got sick of it last year was my final year listening to it, which was only off and on, they annoyed me.

Back in the early days of OTB and Newstalk I was an avid listener. I would be annoyed if I missed it in case there was something good on it.
    The vibe was fresh and new, there was good chemistry between the presenters and they sounded like they were having the time of thier lives.

Now I am completely gone off it is stale and lacking in ideas or stuff that makes me sit up and take notice. and back in the early days of OTB I would put it on. My father My father (now in his mid 70s) was not impressed and described it as fellas trying to be 'clever-clever' which amused me at the time as I thought he did nor 'get the show'.
    I know the presenters have changed since the early days, but now I understand his point completely.
    Maybe I am now officially an auld git who knows guff when he hears it? :D

As for the smugness I don't know about the rest of them presenters it may not have happened overnight. But Ger Gilroy was always a smug, sarcastic, know-it-all git. A fella who has an inflated sense of his own importance, that did not happen overnight it was always there.

But besides him the show used to be grand in the early days, people had genuine fun on it, and it transmitted to the listeners, even that is gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Doesn't include gambling though funnily enough.

I haven't heard Declan Walsh on in a while. I wonder did they have a difficult conversation?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

CatFromHue wrote: »
    O'Connor knows his stuff so I don't mind him. He's there as the Irish Times ban meant no more Gerry Thornley or Gavin Cummisky.

Thornley and G Cummiskey (along with the other Irish times sports staff) do Irish Times podcasts now. Well worth a listen.

Thornley and G Cummiskey (along with the other Irish times sports staff) do Irish Times podcasts now. Well worth a listen.

The amount of people doing podcasts now is incredible. Could be listening to some show and, even one on 2FM or Today FM where they don't discuss specific topics and you'd hear them mention "Oh yeah, we discussed this on the podcast".

I wonder is it a fad or is it something which is here to stay. They are very cheap to produce. I listen to Bill Burr's and he records it twice weekly from wherever he is with just a microphone and laptop software.

Surprising to see radio figures still grow as well as the growth of this medium.

The amount of people doing podcasts now is incredible. Could be listening to some show and, even one on 2FM or Today FM where they don't discuss specific topics and you'd hear them mention "Oh yeah, we discussed this on the podcast".

I wonder is it a fad or is it something which is here to stay. They are very cheap to produce. I listen to Bill Burr's and he records it twice weekly from wherever he is with just a microphone and laptop software.

Surprising to see radio figures still grow as well as the growth of this medium.

I think eventually they are bound to overtake radio as they are convenient can be listened to when people want to.
    But crucially they are not constraint by normal broadcasting standards so presenters can be more forthright and the vibe is more casual.
    Plus as you say anyone with an opinion and a microphone can produce one if they wish.
    Bill Burr just uses it to let off steam normally an unscripted rant.

I think eventually they are bound to overtake radio as they are convenient can be listened to when people want to.
    But crucially they are not constraint by normal broadcasting standards so presenters can be more forthright and the vibe is more casual.
    Plus as you say anyone with an opinion and a microphone can produce one if they wish.
    Bill Burr just uses it to let off steam normally an unscripted rant.

Yeah, I'm not so sure if they'll overtake radio. I think radio still has the potential to be more up to date where as I find I skip past some episodes of a podcast if a few days have gone by. Often relevant, in terms of current affairs topics or sports discussions.

Their definitely a good development out of the whole internet technology and social media vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,595 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I think an unexpected side effect of listening to so many podcasts these days is I can't stand the constant ad breaks on OTB anymore.

I used to barely even notice it, but now it seems so intrusive.

I know you can podcast it, but I mean when it's on the radio.

On the other hand, the live element - reacting to what's happening right now - is sadly missing from other podcasts.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I think an unexpected side effect of listening to so many podcasts these days is I can't stand the constant ad breaks on OTB anymore.

I used to barely even notice it, but now it seems so intrusive.

I know you can podcast it, but I mean when it's on the radio.

On the other hand, the live element - reacting to what's happening right now - is sadly missing from other podcasts.

What I find when listening to podcasts, I abhor the advertisement piece where they read something from their sponsor. I can't listen to it and look for the phone to fast forward or I pull my headphones out for a minute if I'm on the bike.

I can tolerate ads on the radio, probably because I'm used to them. If I am in the car, I do flick over during ads though.

(Tough world for stations when we don't want to pay for content or to hear ads :) )

• Advertisement

OTB Viewership up 2K on last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

OTB Viewership up 2K on last year.

The YouTube Channel?

Or comparing the Radio program only?

naughtb4 wrote: »
    The YouTube Channel?

Or comparing the Radio program only?
    Radio program, in the Indo.

If it's anything like the video previews and reviews they used to do on IT website then I'd listen listen for the comedy value alone. GT frothing at the mouth in that indecipherable rugby code of 'physicality at the breakdown', 'front foot rugby', 'go forward ball' and Cummiskey like a nodding dog next to his idol, agreeing with everything he says. The first time I saw them together I thought it was a piss take.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

CatFromHue wrote: »

I was wondering what happened them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

Another dull Paper Review.

Is there ever a mention of Eamon McGee that doesn't include that he is an atheist?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Another dull Paper Review.

Is there ever a mention of Eamon McGee that doesn't include that he is an atheist?

Paper review shouldn't be on the program anyway.
    It's a sports show not a journalism show.

My watching of the paper review depends on who's hosting it - basically just Joe Molloy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Have they not updated any podcasts the last few days or is it just me? One of them seems to have turned into a History on NT podcast which I never subscribed to

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

In house unfunny banter has made them unlistenable

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement