Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The ginger mini-Gilroy from Kerry is coming in for some stick from the English after Saturday's game. Can't blame them to be honest. Exposed as a spoofer but sure it's all clicks for OTB I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slcehgz2Lhk

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The ginger mini-Gilroy from Kerry is coming in for some stick from the English after Saturday's game. Can't blame them to be honest. Exposed as a spoofer but sure it's all clicks for OTB I suppose.

Utterly cringe inducing especially when you consider the result yesterday .

The Irish rugby media remind me of the English national soccer team press to an extent.

Full of arrogance, hype and bluster.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Utterly cringe inducing especially when you consider the result yesterday .

The Irish rugby media remind me of the English national soccer team press to an extent.

Full of arrogance, hype and bluster.

Let's be honest, these guys are simply tubes, they know little about sport and are just repeating what more knowledgeable folk are saying.

Ger especially has a very slappable face (maybe thats just me?)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

NIMAN wrote: »
    Let's be honest, these guys are simply tubes, they know little about sport and are just repeating what more knowledgeable folk are saying.

Ger especially has a very slappable face (maybe thats just me?)
    The smuggest man in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭17togo

The smuggest man in Ireland.

In fairness to Ger in that video he tried to call Eoin out on the smugness and cockiness! Christ I really enjoy it when the rugby team get beaten like that. The media coverage of them has completely turned me off rugby over the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

17togo wrote: »
    In fairness to Ger in that video he tried to call Eoin out on the smugness and cockiness! Christ I really enjoy it when the rugby team get beaten like that. The media coverage of them has completely turned me off rugby over the last few years.

I lost all respect for Ger Gilroy when he brought on the rape crisis centre the night that Paddy Jackson was found not guilty. The inference being that Gilroy himself had decided that they were guilty and the story should be covered as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭17togo

I lost all respect for Ger Gilroy when he brought on the rape crisis centre the night that Paddy Jackson was found not guilty. The inference being that Gilroy himself had decided that they were guilty and the story should be covered as such.

Oh I know, generally he's painful. Just in this case he actually tried to hold a debate by calling out the bull****. The only other journalists/broadcaster I've seen trying to do that is Ewan MacKenna and he gets attacked for doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

17togo wrote: »
    Oh I know, generally he's painful. Just in this case he actually tried to hold a debate by calling out the bull****. The only other journalists/broadcaster I've seen trying to do that is Ewan MacKenna and he gets attacked for doing so.

MacKenna was having a field day on Twitter yesterday :D
    Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

MacKenna was having a field day on Twitter yesterday :D
    Legend.

His "Does this mean we aren't World Champions anymore?" was perfectly written to provoke a reaction.

His "Does this mean we aren't World Champions anymore?" was perfectly written to provoke a reaction.

Everything he has written was to do that. And by God he's getting some amount of bites on the line.

• Advertisement

Enjoyed the paper round today. Primarily covered the rugby and it just shows that 80 minutes is a long time in sport. From Grand Slam Step 1 before the game to the articles and points highlighted after shows just how things can change.

Stockdale not offloading early enough, Aki's passing being behind players, Henshaw somewhat clueless about full back duties and so on it really can turn quickly. (This was obviously McKenna's point in the Autumn).

I hope it does turn out to be a wake up call that we are not going to stroll to a 6 Nations and go in to the World Cup as second favourites.

Also interesting story at the end of the paper round about Naomh Éanna GAA Club in Belfast and just what they had to do to stay in operation throughout the troubles. Their club house, located in a primarily Unionist area of Belfast was burnt down 13 times throughout the troubles and one of their members was the last catholic killed in the conflict. I bet those players don't have to be reminded what it means to wear the jersey.

Edit
    From the club website.
    1981 – Liam Canning, 19, shot dead by off-duty UDR member.
    1991 – Colin Lundy, 16, burnt alive at home in a sectarian arson attack.
    1993 – Sean Fox, 72, club President tortured and shot at his home 200 yards from clubhouse by UVF.
    1997 – Gerry Devlin, 36, senior team manager shot dead by LVF outside club gates.
    2002 – Gerard Lawlor, 18, senior team midfielder shot dead in the last murder of ‘The Troubles’.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I heard that Wexford couldn't field the full 15 for a camogie league match and were bet out the gate by Galway. Wonder if the SJWs on Newstalk will be fighting for the equal coverage of this?

Cannot believe that any senior inter county team couldn't field a full 15. Bad enough when it happens to clubs.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    I heard that Wexford couldn't field the full 15 for a camogie league match and were bet out the gate by Galway. Wonder if the SJWs on Newstalk will be fighting for the equal coverage of this?

Cannot believe that any senior inter county team couldn't field a full 15. Bad enough when it happens to clubs.

Apparently Galway had to go to 13 for the second half to even it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

They chose to go to 13 as they were hammering them in fairness to them. Fairly farcical stuff for a county in the all irelnd final less than 10 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

Cliona Foley & Andy McGeady together.

That's dull radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Cliona Foley & Andy McGeady together.

That's dull radio.

Can't stand listening to Cliona Foley. Has me reaching for the off button.

Kieran Donaghy is joining the OTB team. Joe had him on tonight discussing it.
    Not a bad selection in my view, he has interest in a wide range of sports (particularly basketball) and he is not afraid to express an opinion. Joe mentioned him being on in the morning and also on a dedicated football show as well as appearing on the night show with Nathan and Joe from time to time.
    He also mentioned a Pardon the Interruption type show which is something from ESPN where two guys (Tony Kornheiser and Mike Wilbon) discuss key topics within a specific time frame and roll from one to the next. Be interesting to see how that develops.

Not a bad selection in my view, he has interest in a wide range of sports (particularly basketball) and he is not afraid to express an opinion. Joe mentioned him being on in the morning and also on a dedicated football show as well as appearing on the night show with Nathan and Joe from time to time.
    He also mentioned a Pardon the Interruption type show which is something from ESPN where two guys (Tony Kornheiser and Mike Wilbon) discuss key topics within a specific time frame and roll from one to the next. Be interesting to see how that develops.

Sounds a good idea so long as it isn't as shouty as the US version. Good to see Donaghy on too, always found him a good listen.

the likes of the cliffords, the geaneys, the galways, the dublins, the Mayos the...

I'm not going to listen to that sh1te for too long.

the likes of the cliffords, the geaneys, the galways, the dublins, the Mayos the...

I'm not going to listen to that sh1te for too long.

Sure, some hate everything about the show now and still listen....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Can't stand listening to Cliona Foley. Has me reaching for the off button.

“It’s a really lovely piece”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I liked Padraig Amond on tonight. Good on him he's getting some exposure maybe gets himself looked at by bigger clubs. I'm a fan of Cunningham but at the start of the interview he was staring at the desk looking like he was reading the question off a sheet or something. I thought it looked a bit rude to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,595 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I reckon Donaghy will be a very strong addition.

Fair play, hope it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Not true in my case. I have stopped listening completely.
    I just lurk (on here now) to see if there is anything new or worthwhile on it these days.
    I don't seem to be missing much from the looks of things.

I bet I could give a list of all the things that annoyed me about the show and they still would not have changed in a years time?
    It seems like it is going to be as is for a decade or so at least.
    Maybe I have just outgrown the show and can't stick listening to them.
    I don't know. But I get my sports info from other sources now. Do I really want to suffer listening to opinions of people I don't value? Or stuff I have heard before.
    Or people trying thier damndest to be' interesting'/'clever'/'smug'.
    Then throw in forced 'banter', throw in a bit of cliches, an agenda or two, a bit of waffle and that's the show.

I looked at Eoin Sheahan's rugby clip from this post:

Anyway, an aside.

If anyone has watched he 'Ballad of Hugo Sanchez' Or 'Club de Cuervos' on Netflix there is a whimpering sycophantic character called 'Hugo Sanchez' who works for a fictional football club in Mexico.
    He is the PA to the fictional football clubs chairman.

Club-de-Cuervos-Presents-The-Ballad-of-Hugo-S%C3%A1nchez.jpg?resize=650%2C366&ssl=1

hugosanchezcover.jpg

To me Eoin Sheahan is an Irish version of Hugo Sanchez, he is the image of him except for the ginger loaf on him.

TVFSyRC.png

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

PTI is my favourite talking heads show. I can only see the OTB version going one way......and it's not good. Kornheiser and Wilbon are serious journalists with long careers in the print media with respected US newspaper giants; they have incredible chemistry, are naturally funny, and balance each other brilliantly - a wonderful on-screen pairing. I can't think of 2 Newstalk OTB broadcasters who can match them in any way. The one thing they have in their favour I guess is there's not many here who would be familiar with PTI, and wouldn't have anything similar to compare it to.

Missed Wednesday Night Rugby tonight as I was tied up with something else so going to listen to it now. It and the Monday version are my only regular OTB listens in recent times....I used to be a few hours a night but I've lost the stomach for it in recent years TBH. Oh and I listen to the Sunday Paper Review....depending on who the guests are.

I don't listen anywhere near as much as I used to. There's no law saying that I can't tune in when I've run out of podcasts. Just caught the interview last night, was hoping the announcement was Woolly coming back but alas no.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

More superficiality. Whatever about O'Driscoll's standing as a genuine rugby great with a calm natural understanding of his intricately officious chosen sport and Kilbane's affable disposition and bland bbc safe affectation, this fella is a hard sell. Better player than wooly and a far better standing in gaeldom but is a desperate ear grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

This is just a personal statement and not intended as offensive, but Kerry accents (many Munster accents actually) really hurt my ears. I doubt I’ll be able to tolerate Donaghy even doing basketball (which I’m hugely interested in and is barely covered in the Irish media) for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

That's it, won't be tuning in again. I hate the kerry accent, hearing the ad with him in it gives me a headache.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

[QUOTE=gormdubhgorm;109356105
    If anyone has watched he 'Ballad of Hugo Sanchez' Or 'Club de Cuervos' on Netflix there is a whimpering sycophantic character called 'Hugo Sanchez' who works for a fictional football club in Mexico.
    He is the PA to the fictional football clubs chairman.

Club-de-Cuervos-Presents-The-Ballad-of-Hugo-S%C3%A1nchez.jpg?resize=650%2C366&ssl=1

hugosanchezcover.jpg

To me Eoin Sheahan is an Irish version of Hugo Sanchez, he is the image of him except for the ginger loaf on him.

TVFSyRC.png
    [/QUOTE]

Not as much as Andrew Scott IMO
    lvmval78lrimguej2do3

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement