Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I really enjoy the Saturday afternoons with Nathan, Johnny Ward and Dan McDonnell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

I'm waiting for the day when aggrieved men stop complaining that women are advocating to improve their lot and form groups with other men to lobby campaign and fight for change. Because, like it or not, there is a lot of evidence of women doing just that to improve their circumstance.

Yeah but we are talking about what is presented as a fight for equality and fairness. There is a difference between a legitimate fight for equality and fairness and lobbying for preferential treatment.

There is no point in having a men's group in the current media environment. The media is of the same thinking as Gillette. White straight males are the source of all oppression, not the victims of oppression.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I've no issue with a female presenter on Off The Ball. I do have an issue with Cliona Foley as I don't think she's a talented presenter.

This

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ahwell

It's not just a presenter issue with OTB. Since April 2002 there has been only two female members of Newstalk's sports department that I know of. Sinead kissane had a role in OTB briefly at the very beginning and since very recently Sue Murphy(Does the TV review on The Hard Shoulder) joined the sports department. So for 15 years or so, the entire department - presenters, producers, researchers and sports bulletin readers have been entirely male. The person who has done most of the hiring in that department over that period is Ger Gilroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I really enjoy the Saturday afternoons with Nathan, Johnny Ward and Dan McDonnell.

Agree always good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

BOD is a terrible analyst, always playing it safe

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Most annoying pundit/analyst used regularly by OTB?

I gotta go with Daniel Harris. An absolute pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

Podcasts seem to have stopped working again on Podcast Addicr

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Graham Hunter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Who's your favourite pundit/analyst used regularly by OTB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

deisedude wrote: »
    Podcasts seem to have stopped working again on Podcast Addicr

Noticed that too, not syncing with iTunes either. Thought they were a bit late to post on their website too. Could've sworn when I looked last night that neither of this week's Football Shows were up but both are there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Why is it OTBAM is available on Spotify but none of their other shows are?

redbuck wrote: »
    Graham Hunter.

I was having coffee with (insert famous footballer here) recently and...yawn...an egomaniac if ever there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

BOD is a terrible analyst, always playing it safe

Not sure what he adds tbh, very vanilla.

I bet he doesn't come cheap either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I hadn't listened to OTB in a long time, tuned in there a few minutes ago to get an update on the Champions League. What I heard was the latest incarnation of OTB in a microcosm. Joe Molloy on his soapbox pontificating on the morals and ethics of horseracing. I should have known better than to tune in. In fairness to Dan McDonnell, he was having none of it and made some good counter points.

I hadn't listened to OTB in a long time, tuned in there a few minutes ago to get an update on the Champions League. What I heard was the latest incarnation of OTB in a microcosm. Joe Molloy on his soapbox pontificating on the morals and ethics of horseracing. I should have known better than to tune in. In fairness to Dan McDonnell, he was having none of it and made some good counter points.

#Thoughts and prayers.
    Hope you get through it.

Mod note
    take a day off from the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Ger Gilroy on about how he can't enjoy Ronaldo's big performance due to the fact that he's involved in a big rape trial.
    This never once entered my mind until he said it.
    Do people actually feel this way or it just him trying to basically plant seeds in others?

#Thoughts and prayers.
    Hope you get through it.
    Ah there we go, right on cue...as usual, I might add :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ger Gilroy on about how he can't enjoy Ronaldo's big performance due to the fact that he's involved in a big rape trial.
    Do people actually feel this way or it just him trying to basically plant seeds in others?

It never crossed my mind until I read this post.

That's just Ger, loves being so PC

• Registered Users Posts: 19,595 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

What time was that at?

Be nice to hear someone talking about what a sham of a sport horse racing is in amongst the saturation of Cheltenham b*llocks this week.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    What time was that at?

Be nice to hear someone talking about what a sham of a sport horse racing is in amongst the saturation of Cheltenham b*llocks this week.
    Around 9pm-ish. Tbf, there is probably a debate/discussion to be had on the topic, in particular the gambling element that is inextricably linked to racing. But it just kinda annoyed me this evening that, having tuned in for the first time in a long time, I heard Joe rambling on about it. I guess the irony isn't lost on them having Boylesports as their main sponsor.

Ah there we go, right on cue...as usual, I might add :rolleyes:

Tell me about it.

Around 9pm-ish. Tbf, there is probably a debate/discussion to be had on the topic, in particular the gambling element that is inextricably linked to racing. But it just kinda annoyed me this evening that, having tuned in for the first time in a long time, I heard Joe rambling on about it. I guess the irony isn't lost on them having Boylesports as their main sponsor.

They had a jockey on on Tuesday who had been riding a horse that afternoon at Cheltenham which had fallen, gotten injured and had to be put down.

He was fine with having the discussion about the morality of horse racing. Made the point that cows, pigs, sheep are bred to be slaughtered and that something like 0.2% of horses are put down in this way so while it is not ideal, it is a relatively rare occurrence and acceptable that they continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

They had a jockey on on Tuesday who had been riding a horse that afternoon at Cheltenham which had fallen, gotten injured and had to be put down.

He was fine with having the discussion about the morality of horse racing. Made the point that cows, pigs, sheep are bred to be slaughtered and that something like 0.2% of horses are put down in this way so while it is not ideal, it is a relatively rare occurrence and acceptable that they continue.

Are you running a PR exercise on behalf of Newstalk?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

bloody hell, he came across as a complete tool there. why did he want to talk about horse welfare during the football show, and not say, on Friday when they talk about horse racing with racing experts? it's almost as if he's afraid to debate with someone who knows what they're talking about.
    neither a football man nor a horse racing man..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

the allegation has taken the gloss off him for me.

as for BOD I like him. I'm not sure where exactly he fits in as he's a bit of an analyst a bit of a pundit and also a not that long retired player but I enjoy what he has to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

bloody hell, he came across as a complete tool there. why did he want to talk about horse welfare during the football show, and not say, on Friday when they talk about horse racing with racing experts? it's almost as if he's afraid to debate with someone who knows what they're talking about.
    neither a football man nor a horse racing man..

It was with Johnny Ward, a big Horse man. About 9 mins in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y9LX5fBJjs&t=475s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

bloody hell, he came across as a complete tool there. why did he want to talk about horse welfare during the football show,

I tuned in for the first time in about a month, to try to get the score for the Liverpool match, which it too them an age to move on to. When I heard Joe saying "Well, it's the choice of the jockey to take part in the race, but the horse has no choice in the matter", I thought it was Oliver Callan doing a parody.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Mod Note

Try keep the thread on track, no personal attacks of other posters, just report it and we'll deal with it.

thanks.

• Advertisement

Mod Note #2

BPKS's post deleted and infracted.

It doesn't matter how many time people register their disapproval of moderation; the same rule applies across this website: there is a particular Forum for doing so. It isn't here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement