Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ahwell

NIMAN wrote: »
    Well, that's just like.. your opinion man!

True, but the difference in the number of listeners that both shows have would suggest that I'm far from being alone in that opinion.

Don't sound like any of the lads that I know:
    - they talk about women's sports.
    - they don't curse.
    - they have all subscribed to the charter of liberal views that are a pre-requisite for all NT staff.
    - they are afraid to mention if a female sports star is hot, but have no problem saying that a male sports star is hot.
    - they are more interested in the social justice element of sports, than the actual sports themselves.

It seems to me the only thing that they have in common with the lads that I know would be:
    - they are very supportive of the betting industry.
    - their boss is a completely self indulgent, pain in the h0le.
    No offence to your mates, Jeremy, but maybe there's a reason they're not on the radio
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do see what you mean though, it isn't the typical chat you'd get around a group of lads in the pub. But it's a live broadcast and it isn't aimed solely at men.

I'm with you on the swearing. Cannot for the life of me understand why sports presenters have such aversion to the good-old Anglo Saxon. There's nothing in legislation or in the BAI codes to prohibit it. At that time of evening, you'd think it just wouldn't be an issue.

No offence to your mates, Jeremy, but maybe there's a reason they're not on the radio
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do see what you mean though, it isn't the typical chat you'd get around a group of lads in the pub. But it's a live broadcast and it isn't aimed solely at men.

I'm with you on the swearing. Cannot for the life of me understand why sports presenters have such aversion to the good-old Anglo Saxon. There's nothing in legislation or in the BAI codes to prohibit it. At that time of evening, you'd think it just wouldn't be an issue.

Gilroy throws in the odd swear to show he's down with the younger lads. Nothing makes me want to turn off the radio more. Reminds me of my posh cousin (not really posh, but they had notions) who used to deliberately try and swear when he came to our house years ago, but it always sounded so contrived and wrong coming out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

When I saw the Stephen Doyle guy interviewing John O Shea earlier this is all I could think of. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Might be going out on a limb but I reckon that Stephen Doyle fella likes Oasis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Morrison J wrote: »
    Might be going out on a limb but I reckon that Stephen Doyle fella likes Oasis.

I am of the same opinion detective. Add in Paul Weller, The Verve but not Blur. :D

He's mod for it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I suppose it's about having a bit of class and decorum.

It's national radio, not some sort of working man's club.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

[/B]

I suppose it's about having a bit of class and decorum.

It's national radio, not some sort of working man's club.

Aye. I prefer it when they keep the swearing to a minimum. It is national radio after all. The odd time is OK and it can work. E.g. Pat Kenny uttered an expletive a few weeks back when talking about the children hospital debacle and it kind of summed up the whole situation. In cases like that, it's fine.

But constant effin and blindin' in what might pass in some circles for "lads banter" just comes off as cringe.

As always, everything in moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

And that of the IMRO Radio Awards judges it seems.

Sure is there anyone working in radio in Ireland that doesn't have a couple of those? They hand them out like Smarties at a children's party.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmCsPjLaSA0 Really enjoyed this tonight, Molloy is def a United fan anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Sure is there anyone working in radio in Ireland that doesn't have a couple of those? They hand them out like Smarties at a children's party.

Do they? Do they give multiple of the same award to different people at the same time each year?

Ireland is a small market, sure, but complaining about people being recognized within it seems like sour grapes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Norm Peterson

Do they? Do they give multiple of the same award to different people at the same time each year?

Ireland is a small market, sure, but complaining about people being recognized within it seems like sour grapes.

I don't think he's complaining just pointing out the award itself is rather meaningless considering the lack of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Really enjoyed this tonight, Molloy is def a United fan anyway.

He mentioned it plenty of times he used to be a massive Utd growing up, really showed last night alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He mentioned it plenty of times he used to be a massive Utd growing up, really showed last night alright!

Never seems all that into football really compared to his interest in golf. Probably just a very casual fan who reemerged last night. There's a fair few of them around today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

He mentioned it plenty of times he used to be a massive Utd  growing up, really showed last night alright!

Never seems all that into football really compared to his interest in golf. Probably just a very casual fan who reemerged last night. There's a fair few of them around today.
    Golf is defo his main love but he's a big soccer man from the one time I met him. played LSL as well

• Registered Users Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Ivan Yates just said that OTB is going to have female only presenters and contributors tonight to celebrate International Womens Day.

We might finally find out the truth about Joe (Joan?) Molloy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

I think having a female presenter tonight for International Women's Day really tells you all you need to know about OTB and their social justice ideals. They have never had a full time female presenter on OTB, but still like to portray themselves as feminists by giving them the one day of the year. Absolute tokenism. And they themselves then take the moral high ground, calling for every other organisation to be more supportive of women.

I think having a female presenter tonight for International Women's Day really tells you all you need to know about OTB and their social justice ideals. They have never had a full time female presenter on OTB, but still like to portray themselves as feminists by giving them the one day of the year. Absolute tokenism. And they themselves then take the moral high ground, calling for every other organisation to be more supportive of women.

I think reaction to OTB's promotion of anything to do with women tells you all you need to know about some people and their views on anything relating to equality.

See reaction to the Sunday show presented by women on Nollaig na mban and the 20x20 initiative for further evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I think reaction to OTB's promotion of anything to do with women tells you all you need to know about some people and their views on anything relating to equality.

See reaction to the Sunday show presented by women on Nollaig na mban and the 20x20 initiative for further evidence.

Not really. I advocate equality between the sexes but I couldn’t give less of a sh1t that there are few women presenters in sport. If there were more, I still wouldn’t care. On that note, you have to laugh at the SJW agenda to get more women into radio presenting, university professorships etc yet I dont hear too many calls for more bin ladies, women plumbers or bricklayers. I do wonder why that is.....

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Not really. I advocate equality between the sexes but I couldn’t give less of a sh1t that there are few women presenters in sport. If there were more, I still wouldn’t care. On that note, you have to laugh at the SJW agenda to get more women into radio presenting, university professorships etc yet I dont hear too many calls for more bin ladies, women plumbers or bricklayers. I do wonder why that is.....

Have you heard the ad where there is a female ESB network apprentice talking about how much she enjoys her career choice? There is a male version also. Why do you think they have both ads?

I think you are choosing to believe that anyone who talks about promotion of females for anything is a SJW.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Have you heard the ad where there is a female ESB network apprentice talking about how much she enjoys her career choice? There is a male version also. Why do you think they have both ads?

I think you are choosing to believe that anyone who talks about promotion of females for anything is a SJW.

Exactly what this is.

People (vast majority are old, male dinosaurs) don't like that wimmens are doing anything other than making sandwiches.

OTB let Cliona Foley present for international women's day, so f*cking what. 'Hysterical' is a word often associated with women, but you just need to read this thread whenever OTB promote women's sport to find out who the real hysterical ones are.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Of course.....an ESB advert invalidates that, in all countries. How many of her are there in the ESB? Never use the exception to disprove the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    On that note, you have to laugh at the SJW agenda to get more women into radio presenting, university professorships etc yet I dont hear too many calls for more bin ladies, women plumbers or bricklayers. I do wonder why that is.....

I had to leave early the other week for a job that I was working on. I pulled in to that new petrol station on the N7 near Kill going towards Dublin. At 5am there were about twenty people, all men, queued up with coffees, dressed in heavy coats and luminous jackets readying themselves for a bitterly cold day on the buildings. I didn't see any women picketing for equality there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I had to leave early the other week for a job that I was working on. I pulled in to that new petrol station on the N7 near Kill going towards Dublin. At 5am there were about twenty people, all men, queued up with coffees, dressed in heavy coats and luminous jackets readying themselves for a bitterly cold day on the buildings. I didn't see any women picketing for equality there.

That's because this whole movement only applies when it suits.

That's because this whole movement only applies when it suits.

Is it so unreasonable that women would look at careers which might be, to both genders, appealing than some others and look to increase their representation within it?

Building/trades work is predominantly male (for whatever reason, the physical strength of individuals is an element). Beauty salon work is predominantly female (again likely that more have a basic interest in it and use it more than male) that will likely always be the case.

But that doesn't mean that careers where women do want to get in to cannot be identified as having a skewed representation.

It only makes sense to give out about women who do this if there is a comparable career that men feel largely excluded from pursuing due to a predominance of women in the role.

I'm waiting for the day when aggrieved men stop complaining that women are advocating to improve their lot and form groups with other men to lobby campaign and fight for change. Because, like it or not, there is a lot of evidence of women doing just that to improve their circumstance.

(I'm not trying to be childishly argumentative here, I have a problem with excessive cries of feminism which I think fail to see the improvements which have been made and that equality must be equality. I would rather not see women only awards in androgynous type categories such as business performance or medical/scientific etc. I am against quotas in politics (as there are so many examples of women making grounds in this area anyway) and I think single fathers rights have a long way to go to reflect the reality of the 21st century)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Is it so unreasonable that women would look at careers which might be, to both genders, appealing than some others and look to increase their representation within it?

Building/trades work is predominantly male (for whatever reason, the physical strength of individuals is an element). Beauty salon work is predominantly female (again likely that more have a basic interest in it and use it more than male) that will likely always be the case.

But that doesn't mean that careers where women do want to get in to cannot be identified as having a skewed representation.

It only makes sense to give out about women who do this if there is a comparable career that men feel largely excluded from pursuing due to a predominance of women in the role.

I'm waiting for the day when aggrieved men stop complaining that women are advocating to improve their lot and form groups with other men to lobby campaign and fight for change. Because, like it or not, there is a lot of evidence of women doing just that to improve their circumstance.

(I'm not trying to be childishly argumentative here, I have a problem with excessive cries of feminism which I think fail to see the improvements which have been made and that equality must be equality. I would rather not see women only awards in androgynous type categories such as business performance or medical/scientific etc. I am against quotas in politics (as there are so many examples of women making grounds in this area anyway) and I think single fathers rights have a long way to go to reflect the reality of the 21st century)

What about primary school teaching for men? Down to 15% now, I dont see any recruitment drives. In fact the only time I heard the INTO talk about gender equality was when one of the candidates for presidents said she should be voted for because she understands women teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Faugheen wrote: »

OTB let Cliona Foley present for international women's day, so f*cking what. 'Hysterical' is a word often associated with women, but you just need to read this thread whenever OTB promote women's sport to find out who the real hysterical ones are.

I've no issue with a female presenter on Off The Ball. I do have an issue with Cliona Foley as I don't think she's a talented presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Faugheen wrote: »
    Exactly what this is.

People (vast majority are old, male dinosaurs) don't like that wimmens are doing anything other than making sandwiches.

Youre right. Every old man I know is the same, with the exact same opinions.
    Quality post!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

What about primary school teaching for men? Down to 15% now, I dont see any recruitment drives. In fact the only time I heard the INTO talk about gender equality was when one of the candidates for presidents said she should be voted for because she understands women teachers.

There is absolutely nothing stopping men from becoming primary school teachers.

The INTO want there to be more of a gender balance, but I think to push these matters further there would need to be some kind of coherent lobby group.

I know lads that went into primary teaching. Some dropped out, others didn't and love their job.

Men are more than aware that it is an option post-leaving certificate, so there is nothing blocking them from applying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

There is absolutely nothing stopping Women from becoming Politicians.

The Government want there to be more of a gender balance, but I think to push these matters further there would need to be some kind of coherent lobby group.

I know Women that went into Politics. Some dropped out, others didn't and love their job.

Women are more than aware that it is an option post-leaving certificate, so there is nothing blocking them from applying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement