Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Every time I switch on Off The Ball, they seem to be talking about rugby.

I mean, I know they're not. They cover loads if stuff.

It just seems like every time I turn it on, they're talking about rugby.

This is rugby country....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Positive/Negative of the provinces and national team doing so well at the moment Donie.
    Expect it to get even more attention next week ahead of 6N.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,602 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Positive/Negative of the provinces and national team doing so well at the moment Donie.
    Expect it to get even more attention next week ahead of 6N.

Suppose it is that time of the year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It’s always that time of the year.

It’s always that time of the year.

It's never going to be too far away this year.

Jan - ERC/Pro 14/6 Nations preview
    Feb - 6 Nations
    Mar - 6 Nations
    Apr - ERC/Pro 14
    May - ERC/Pro 14
    Jun -
    Jul -
    Aug - WC Preview/Pro 14
    Sep - WC Preview/Pro 14
    Oct - WC/Pro 14
    Nov - WC/ERC/Pro 14
    Dec - ERC/Pro 14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The official launch for the 6 Nations was on this week so lots of interviews and coverage of that. It'll be pretty rugby heavy for the next 2 months.

Probably be a bit more GAA as well from now on with the leagues starting this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

Rugby is not as mindlessly frequent as it is on 'Game On' which spends swathes of its meagre time (by comparison to OTB) discussing the utterly futile pro-14 as well as other elements of the nouveau riche marketers choice of sporting pursuit. Hugh Cahill's Godfather Donal Lenihan can be 'try'ing but Bernard Jackman's simple witterings pollute the airwaves far too often. The comparison with OTB is of a more proportioned coverage with better contributors like Keith Wood. However it's still intensely frustrating to hear the continual torper surrounding 'Irish rugby' especially via Gilroy or his many mini me's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

https://www.offtheball.com/events/off-ball-show-live-build-cheltenham-association-bulmers-323783
    Barry Murphy from AprMatch will be there alongside Ger Gilroy, Johnny Ward, David Brady, Kate Harrington, Nina Carberry, Oli Bell (ITV Racing Presenter) and Vogue Williams along with LIVE music too

is vogue williams into the horses???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

She is addicted to publicity, no other reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭gluppers

They know what side their bread is buttered on

Rugby pays the bills unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

gluppers wrote: »
    They know what side their bread is buttered on

Rugby pays the bills unfortunately

Why is that as a matter of interest? (Not disagreeing, just wondering)

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭howareyakid

An increase in rugby discussion isn’t that unsurprising I suppose. Public interest has never been higher as evidenced by the TV ratings for last year’s Six Nations and All Blacks game.

I like the way they felt obliged to tell us (in brackets) the relevance of the commentator, yet completed neglected to indicate in what possible way Vogue Williams is relevant to a Off The Ball sports show.

Is it because she's on a travel show with Tommy Bowe? Is that all is takes these days? (Or do they share an agent or something?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

her and Kilbane are DJing after the event for the people there, nothing to do with the actual sports bit.

her and Kilbane are DJing after the event for the people there, nothing to do with the actual sports bit.

Oh, well then.

That sounds f*ckin fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Kevin Kilbane and Vogue Williams.

going by the stage name KillWill.

I like the way they felt obliged to tell us (in brackets) the relevance of the commentator, yet completed neglected to indicate in what possible way Vogue Williams is relevant to a Off The Ball sports show.

Is it because she's on a travel show with Tommy Bowe? Is that all is takes these days? (Or do they share an agent or something?)

I'd say it's purely to attract a different sort of crowd. A wider reach so to speak.
    The outside broadcasts are fast becoming something I wouldn't go to if I got tickets for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

They probably discuss rugby so much on OTB because they also have the rights on TV3 so the more they can keep reminding you about the rugby the more likely you'll want to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

You have to chuckle at Kimmage's rudeness or abruptness. Whatever you want to call it.

Himself and Gary O'Toole were doing the papers talking about Joe Schmidt articles today in the build up to the 6 Nations. O'Toole spoke for a couple minutes about one article and was then about to mention another when Kimmage grumpily jumped in.

"Are you going to let me talk about Joe Schmidt or what?"

O'Toole meekly "Oh, sorry".

Made me laugh out loud.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Not the first time Kimmage has had a rip at Neil Francis's writing. I'd agree with PK in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

What’s the story with kimmage and O’Toole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I was wondering who that megabore was, assuming he's the one banging on about northside/southside, Declan Rice and so on like that fella you'd avoid in a pub.

Off teh Ball can really struggle when it's an international or FA Cup weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I find Kimmage one of these people where his opinion is right and everyone else is wrong. Journalism is about putting an opinion out there and some people agree some disagree. I remember a while back on the paper review he decided the show wasn't going to talk about a certain subject (I cant remember what it was) and Molloy said we have to. Kimmage decided he was making the decisions on what the subject is. Then he decides to say this is "****ing bull****" live on air. The guy is an ego maniac. Its his way or the highway and no one should dare have a different opinion which contradicts the very platforms he sells himself on i.e. differing opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

I find Kimmage one of these people where his opinion is right and everyone else is wrong.

In a world where everybody in the media has the same opinion about everything, Kimmage is a breath of fresh air. Most people who are on reviewing the papers are afraid to say a bad word about any of their colleagues. But Kimmage says what he thinks. He is certainly not right all of the time, but at least you know that you are getting his honest opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

Irish rugby get a free ride they never get criticised compared to the GAA or soccer lads

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

humberklog wrote: »
    Not the first time Kimmage has had a rip at Neil Francis's writing. I'd agree with PK in this case.

Neil Francis is very insecure when it comes to other sports

I was wondering who that megabore was, assuming he's the one banging on about northside/southside, Declan Rice and so on like that fella you'd avoid in a pub.

Off teh Ball can really struggle when it's an international or FA Cup weekend.

I prefer these weekends when they actually discuss more interesting topics in sport or explore something deeper.

Personally I'd prefer if the newspapers was live every week and there was never more than one live EPL game commentary broadcast on any given Sunday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

You have to chuckle at Kimmage's rudeness or abruptness. Whatever you want to call it.

Himself and Gary O'Toole were doing the papers talking about Joe Schmidt articles today in the build up to the 6 Nations. O'Toole spoke for a couple minutes about one article and was then about to mention another when Kimmage grumpily jumped in.

"Are you going to let me talk about Joe Schmidt or what?"

O'Toole meekly "Oh, sorry".

Made me laugh out loud.

There's a bit of tongue in cheek about them. Later on in the show Joe was reading an article out loud and the camera panned back to them and they were trying not to laugh at something.

Even the bit were Kimmage was giving out about Francis's article O'Toole wished his old school, and their opponents, well in their game!

• Advertisement

In a world where everybody in the media has the same opinion about everything, Kimmage is a breath of fresh air. Most people who are on reviewing the papers are afraid to say a bad word about any of their colleagues. But Kimmage says what he thinks. He is certainly not right all of the time, but at least you know that you are getting his honest opinion.

I am always happy when I turn on OTB on a Sunday and Kimmage is doing the papers. As people have said, most of the contributors to this segment are quite dull and never say a bad word about anything that's written as they probably know all the other journalists. With Kimmage, you get the sense that he doesn't care. His contributions are always whole hearted and worth listening to even if like his attack on Dublin last year (or the year before) are silly and ill informed.

However, there is a side to Kimmage that is not very nice. It's clear he has a massive ego and the bull**** he perpetuates (all the time!) about suffering for his craft is grating. I find a lot of his stuff in the Sindo of late are just Q and As or rehashed quotes which he always manages to portray as works of art he has agonised over for weeks. I think a lot of his BS is self serving in that regard.

That and the fact that he is quite clearly a bully. His background as the guy who spat in the cycling soup and became a pariah in the sport and then his training in old school journalism have created a really objectionable and bullying personality. His arrogance at times in telling Joe Molloy he is not doing his job right and outright bullying him live on air is an expression of the culture he has been a part of and probably his personality.

While I do like listening to him, I don't like him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement