Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I agree with the above

Dislike him personally but he can be entertaining in small doses. He’s always spoiling for a fight.

Regarding his journalism I find him very average but he seems to have a huge opinion of himself.

I can imagine him demanding to be the top paid sports journalist in Ireland and anything else is an insult to him.

Like a lot of bullies though, I’ve noticed a number of times that when ppl stand up to him he backs down.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I am always happy when I turn on OTB on a Sunday and Kimmage is doing the papers. As people have said, most of the contributors to this segment are quite dull and never say a bad word about anything that's written as they probably know all the other journalists. With Kimmage, you get the sense that he doesn't care. His contributions are always whole hearted and worth listening to even if like his attack on Dublin last year (or the year before) are silly and ill informed.

However, there is a side to Kimmage that is not very nice. It's clear he has a massive ego and the bull**** he perpetuates (all the time!) about suffering for his craft is grating. I find a lot of his stuff in the Sindo of late are just Q and As or rehashed quotes which he always manages to portray as works of art he has agonised over for weeks. I think a lot of his BS is self serving in that regard.

That and the fact that he is quite clearly a bully. His background as the guy who spat in the cycling soup and became a pariah in the sport and then his training in old school journalism have created a really objectionable and bullying personality. His arrogance at times in telling Joe Molloy he is not doing his job right and outright bullying him live on air is an expression of the culture he has been a part of and probably his personality.

While I do like listening to him, I don't like him.
    I agree with the above

Dislike him personally but he can be entertaining in small doses. He’s always spoiling for a fight.

Regarding his journalism I find him very average but he seems to have a huge opinion of himself.

I can imagine him demanding to be the top paid sports journalist in Ireland and anything else is an insult to him.

Like a lot of bullies though, I’ve noticed a number of times that when ppl stand up to him he backs down.

I can understand both of the above views but I wouldn't quite see him that way. I think the Paul we see now is a product of the environment he has worked in for the latter part of his career.

Rarely has anyone wanted him shining a light on practices or perceptions of a sport. He doesn't make up the facts though, he just points them out. Many of those who ridicule him are those who profess to do what he does but fall short in reality. This is evidenced with the likes of fellow journalists laughing at him as Lance Armstrong tried to belittle him all those years ago. Or sporting administrator groups proclaiming player welfare but not being willing to tackle drug use. This hypocrisy, repeated time and time again has turned him in to the grumpy guy we view him as today.

He is most remembered for being a grump but he also writes positive stories as well but they don't get anywhere near the same attention.
    Too many journalists are more akin to paid supporters and write only about the positive. Sport is evermore becoming more cynical, hypocrytical and biased towards potential for money to be made, and those involved in the practices of such traits want less Paul Kimmages if possible.

Kimmage is a rarity but we need journalists like him (and his protege (of sorts) Ewan McKenna).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I would rather nail my dick to a ceiling fan than listen to John Duggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Forgive this stupid question, but why does the football show not run after 9 on a friday? I always assumed that with the matches on a Sat then this was the best time to have the show?

I would even be up for putting Johnny Giles out to pasture as he has become annoying and bloody repeditive at this point and offers nothing in his piece. Maybe end thursdays show at 9 instead of fridays?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I always thought it was that the listener numbers would drop after 9 on a Friday so they put on the Irish speaking show, which I presume they have to do contractually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I don't get why Off the Ball don't cover NBA, I'm sure more people watch it than a good few things that they hark on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,594 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

There was a glorious time back in the golden years of OTB, when they had both US Murph and Ken Early's football show on Friday nights. (And then Splanc afterwards, which they are obliged to do, but is still a good show).

They dropped it, partially because the team was way smaller then, and the weekend sports shows were not under the OTB banner. So they thought 3 hour shows 4 days a week was enough. It never made sense to me, as pointed out above, surely Friday evening is the best day of the week for a weekend preview.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I don't get why Off the Ball don't cover NBA, I'm sure more people watch it than a good few things that they hark on about.

I see another poster already commented about US Murph so I won’t repest that.

It pops up occasionally. The Ringer’s John Gonzalez was on I would say around October/November and while he’s good (he’s on Yhe Ringer NBA Show Podcast) whoever he was talking too knew as much about basketball as Johnny Ward did hosting Wednesday Night Rugby last night. So it was terrible. Basically NBA For Dummies. I’d rather they did nothing than crap like that.

If you want some good basketball podcasts to listen to, drop me a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They probably have no knowledge of the game themselves, it's tough to cover something when you don't know what you're talking about.

Plus to be honest I don't really think the NBA has much of a market here in Ireland. I'd very rarely come across fellow fans.

They probably have no knowledge of the game themselves, it's tough to cover something when you don't know what you're talking about.

Plus to be honest I don't really think the NBA has much of a market here in Ireland. I'd very rarely come across fellow fans.

You can take that to the bank re. the current crop for sure.

I know a young Brian O'Driscoll used to attend Killester Men's Games back in the day so he probably knows more about the game than the regular hosts.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

They Barely cover GAA its all rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

sure Joe ****s himself when he has to talk about anything other than golf!

An awful lot of their rugby coverage is terrible. I listen to Monday and Wednesday night rugby (for Eddie I’Sullicam and Keith Wood) and that’s it, or at least that’s all I seek out. I can’t listen to O’Driscoll as he’s a cliche machine and he’s so afraid of doing or saying anything that would damage his “brand” it’s the personification of blandness.

It seems like from mid-May to September the only thing on OTB is GAA though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Nathan really is a painful listen, usually switch off when he is on

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

cmac2009 wrote: »

Disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

There was a 25 minute interview with Colin Fennelly only today.

This time of year is basically peak season for rugby coverage though. For GAA it's the Summer.

There was a 25 minute interview with Colin Fennelly only today.

This time of year is basically peak season for rugby coverage though. For GAA it's the Summer.

Pretty remarkable statement by Colin on his 6 year army career.
    'There was actually zero job satisfaction,' he said.

'If I had to talk about my years in the army - and I was there for six years - I couldn't tell you one thing I did in it that was in any way beneficial for me or for anyone else.'

Was enough to bring the Defence Forces to issue a statement countering it.

sure Joe ****s himself when he has to talk about anything other than golf!

He talks with interest about Rugby (he is presenter of Virgin Media Irish rugby coverage) and soccer does he not?

Don't know what he could say to keep some happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Nathan is the best of a mediocre bunch for me! Really can't stand Gilroy or Adrian Barry (whenever he is on). Joe is fine, that new lad (Eoin I think) is a bit bland too.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

He talks with interest about Rugby (he is presenter of Virgin Media Irish rugby coverage) and soccer does he not?

Don't know what he could say to keep some happy.

It's only the drama queens exaggerating to make a point about a sports presenter that may or may not have a favourite sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Nathan is the best of a mediocre bunch for me! Really can't stand Gilroy or Adrian Barry (whenever he is on). Joe is fine, that new lad (Eoin I think) is a bit bland too.

I think the point that was made here before was very valid. Most of these guys are guys who have an interest primarily in radio and sports is secondary. Nathan in particular would strike me as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I don't mind Nathan. Think he's one of the more likable of the OTB crew. He indulges Giles' nonsense a bit too much though but that's another story.

I think the point that was made here before was very valid. Most of these guys are guys who have an interest primarily in radio and sports is secondary. Nathan in particular would strike me as such.

He does the Off the ball show and also does quite a lot of football commentary, some on TV as well as the live EPL games on the radio.

He was also joking recently about how sad he was to be constantly monitoring Declan Rice's social media feeds to see how he responded to the FAI's post wishing him a Happy Birthday which was accompanied by a picture of Rice wearing an Irish jersey.

That sounds like someone with a fairly strong interest in sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

Nathan is known for his assertiveness and being quick to self-promote emerging from the clinical morgue that is today fm sport to push himself into sports commentary. Irrespective of his actual commentary abilities the sheer frequency of premier league football means he's no daw clearly. Its a constant stream. Having come from making tea in Galway Bay FM to commentating on premier league football games is quite the story all the same especially in the insidious vacuum of Irish sports media. His accent and delivery isnt great. He's full sure that he's great but then again if more people showed similarly ballsy assertiveness than the paucity of the actual present 'talent' might be replaced by someone who's actually talented. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Nathan is known for his assertiveness and being quick to self-promote emerging from the clinical morgue that is today fm sport to push himself into sports commentary. Irrespective of his actual commentary abilities the sheer frequency of premier league football means he's no daw clearly. Its a constant stream. Having come from making tea in Galway Bay FM to commentating on premier league football games is quite the story all the same especially in the insidious vacuum of Irish sports media. His accent and delivery isnt great. He's full sure that he's great but then again if more people showed similarly ballsy assertiveness than the paucity of the actual present 'talent' might be replaced by someone who's actually talented. Just a thought.

By reading your post I get the impression that either yourself or a friend/relative knows Nathan personally/professionally... there seems to be a bit of a chip on your shoulder...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

What day and time is the Crappy Quiz on?

What day and time is the Crappy Quiz on?

Usually Friday and I think any time between half seven and eight.

That's one thing that has never been the same since Parkinson was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭jam17032010

I always found him to be a good commentator. I'm not sure what the problem with his accent is?

I also haven't noticed him over using english cliches like "my word". Fine if your english, but irish commentators who use them should be flogged.

Now, the eir Sports commentator with the english accent is grating.

That seems like a very personal attack on the guy. I'm sure he's ambitious but you can also guarantee that he works very hard and has done to get to the position he is in.

In a former life, I did some work in the media, and while many of the people involved would sell their grannies to get on TV/radio/in a paper etc, there are plenty of very good people involved too. And the one thing I took from it is that you have to work hard and make lots of sacrifices to get anywhere, and even at that the pay is not good and the demands are horrible. The best or the hardest workers usually get to the top.

Don't know Nathan personally, but a friend of mine who is a sound judge of character does and he speaks highly of him so that's good enough for me. I also like his commentaries even if I have noticed that he is catching the overly excited and self satisfied bug off Ger Gilroy of late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Joe Molloy gives me the creeps on TV. Just a processed presenter and no charisma.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement