Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just been out for my early morning walk... windblown rain in my face, all the ocean shrouded in rain-haar.... Bracing is the word and I really enjoyed it... "down for the day" the old ones would say.. accidental rhyming there... ;)

VERY glad I went out when I did... deluging here now and dark... west mayo offshore ark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

KingJeremy wrote: »
    Seriously though...DOES anyone know why the seasons are taught as they are in school here & not as they should be (in line with the meteorological season)?

Because seasons taught in school are the Celtic seasons. Winter being Nov Dec and Jan. Spring feb March April etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

The muck is back. Go away, nobody missed you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Absolutely bucketing down here, yesterday's sunny day already seems so long ago

Absolutely bucketing down here, yesterday's sunny day already seems so long ago

" Ah yes, I remember it well!" and the same here,,, a deluge of epic proportions.

Back to hibernation, me thinks! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Bucketing in Dublin 16 too now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrendous day here at Dunshaughlin. Pouring rain, dark, heating and lights on.

If this is how the majority of February is going to play out then just fast forward me to May.

I'm really not enjoying Winter 2018/2019.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this mornings GFS is an incredibly mild outlook into the far reaches of FI.

The ensembles are showing temperatures of between 0 and 10C at 850 hPA, if high pressure and sunshine combined with winds up from the Canaries or Sahara desert during some of those days, temperatures of 15 or 16C wouldn't be out of the question.

If it's not going to snow, i'd settle for very mild, dry and sunny, rather than all the muck of the next 7 to 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    this mornings GFS is an incredibly mild outlook into the far reaches of FI.

The ensembles are showing temperatures of between 0 and 10C at 850 hPA, if high pressure and sunshine combined with winds up from the Canaries or Sahara desert during some of those days, temperatures of 15 or 16C wouldn't be out of the question.

If it's not going to snow, i'd settle for very mild, dry and sunny, rather than all the muck of the next 7 to 10 days.

Wouldn’t be that sunny though except for England. Would be cloudy crap especially for the west.

Damp in Dublin 3 as was expected.

The outlook isn’t too bad for my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Was an awful morning in cork city. Really heavy rain (heaviest I've seen in quite a while). Been a mix of drizzle and rain since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

been lashing up North all morning, tho` see a clearance in from the West just now...
    .btw is there a problem with Netweather Radar? Don`t have that overlay of precipitation etc, just the bare map??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain seems to have passed, for now, in Dublin 16. 2.4mm Melting! 11.4c atm.

rain stopped here too, hopefully can catch a quick walk in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A dark miserable day in Castlebar with continuous rain since early morning, close to 10mm so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lashing in cork city again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,095 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Drier ,brighter conditions not far off the west coast now.

Gav's latest video looking at the ECM models for the rest of February now show a mild theme dominating throughout February. He describes all the long range models over the past 2 months as an 'epic fail'. I couldn't agree more. I get the feeling many people are done with this winter and just want to move onto Spring/Summer at this stage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Gav's latest video looking at the ECM models for the rest of February now show a mild theme dominating throughout February. He describes all the long range models over the past 2 months as an 'epic fail'. I couldn't agree more. I get the feeling many people are done with this winter and just want to move onto Spring/Summer at this stage.

Yep completely agree on both accounts!

Drier ,brighter conditions not far off the west coast now.

Indeed yes! Thank you!

At this stage in the season, I agree. Even one model that was showing a mild and zonal Winter (German DWD model) was very wrong and there has been a lot of anticyclonic influence, just not in the position to delivering cold weather.

Roll on Summer.

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote: »
    At this stage in the season, I agree. Even one model that was showing a mild and zonal Winter (German DWD model) was very wrong and there has been a lot of anticyclonic influence, just not in the position to delivering cold weather.

Roll on Summer.

I think we're all thinking the same way. At this stage I don't care if there's no more frost or snow in the charts till November 2019. It's time to stick a fork in this winter and focus on looking forward to the Spring and Summer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I think we're all thinking the same way. At this stage I don't care if there's no more frost or snow in the charts till November 2019. It's time to stick a fork in this winter and focus on looking forward to the Spring and Summer.

And roll on Winter 2019/20 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Now that the long ranges have flipped- surely we can expect the mother of all late Feb cold spell :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Ye do remember that one of the greatest winter spells of the last century was in the last year and started on 28 February (i.e. still 23 days away)? Moreover it was sufficiently cold on St. Patrick's day that there was widespread sticking and lasting snow for many? Even forgetting Patrick's day, are you happy that the much maligned long term guidance can now be counted on to be accurate for 23+ day's time, simply because it is showing mild weather as opposed to cold?

I get the frustration but the stick a fork in it stuff is ridiculously premature.

Ye do remember that one of the greatest winter spells of the last century was in the last year and started on 28 February (i.e. still 23 days away)? Moreover it was sufficiently cold on St. Patrick's day that there was widespread sticking and lasting snow for many? Even forgetting Patrick's day, are you happy that the much maligned long term guidance can now be counted on to be accurate for 23+ day's time, simply because it is showing mild weather as opposed to cold?

I get the frustration but the stick a fork in it stuff is ridiculously premature.

I'm more annoyed by everything that went wrong this winter than anything else, it's been a very disappointing winter for many of us.

It's been the winter of constant downgrades and long term models being way off mark. It's also been the overall lack of sun, which has been very poor even by Irish winter standards.

Far too much cloud and damp muck throughout this winter, I can't even think of one day where the ground has been totally dry since December 1st. There were many dry days second half of December and first week of January, yet the ground remained damp from endless cloud and mist.

At the moment snow is looking unlikely for the rest of February, but a major model shift could bring some before 28th February, but at this stage i'd be happy to wait till next winter.

Snow probably will make it's return in March, which could bring a cold start to Spring. I'd be happy to see even a 1 day snow event in March as seeing any sort of snow in Spring is a bonus.

Just started lashing in Dublin 13 after a mostly damp day with some peaks of sun in the cloud.

Slightly off topic but did my first mock exams today. It was English.

A comprehension on paper 1 referenced the December 2010 big freeze in Ireland and one of the essay choices was:

"Write a newspaper article on the importance of preparing for all kinds of weather."

What are the odds? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Just started lashing in Dublin 13 after a mostly damp day with some peaks of sun in the cloud.

A comprehension on paper 1 referenced the December 2010 big freeze in Ireland and one of the essay choices was:

"Write a newspaper article on the importance of preparing for all kinds of weather."

Oh wow Sryanbruen I didnt even think of you when I read it (womans heating packed in or smth) but now you mention it it's like it was written especially for you lol. I teach English in Donegal and was supervising in the hall during it so got a look at it. . How much extra paper did you need? 😠good luck in the rest of the exams ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭esposito

Just a pity it wasn’t the real thing in June! But still, great to get a topic like that.

Ouch- Kermit might have to open a thread soon.

ECM1-72.GIF

• Advertisement

Ouch #2

ECU1-72.GIF?05-0

Advertisement