Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I would not be surprised to see 60-80mm of rainfall in Castlebar next week, we have had over 150mm of rain for the last five years in February, I wonder if we will beat the 274mm in 2002 or the 265mm in 2014 after a drier than usual January.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Still don’t get why everyone loves the snow and cold. As a motorcyclist and someone who also goes running every day, even this cold is a nightmare...The snow is just a disaster for me.

Can’t wait for the mild weather to resume on Monday!

I bike 365 days a year it's my transport missed only two days because of snow last year that was because of the red weather warnings no work.
    Black ice is the biggest danger usually on back roads that don't get gritted.
    Very close second is strong winds at night very hard too judge.
    Heading to work tonight Will take my time.
    Experience and reading the roads is a must.look during the day too see what stays wet and avoid using the breaks ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

YanSno wrote: »
    Very unsettle week coming up as i mentioned a while ago we had a very dry end of December and start of January, we are going to play catch up with rainfall. LP will keep barrelling through until around the middle of February where we might have a dry settled period after that it's back to Zonal. Teleconnections not showing any signs of anything cold in the horizon

Got to hand it to you, you've been bang on the money. Fair play.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sounds like we'll be back to a re-run of November and early December in terms of rain and mild temperatures for the forseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Very unsettle week coming up as i mentioned a while ago we had a very dry end of December and start of January, we are going to play catch up with rainfall. LP will keep barrelling through until around the middle of February where we might have a dry settled period after that it's back to Zonal. Teleconnections not showing any signs of anything cold in the horizon

So you’re writing off the last month of winter then. Wonderful....
    Do you think it will be a cold March like 2013?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

This winter really is the gift that keeps on giving........

D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

I hope you are sticking around for Summer Yan and your not just a winter thing

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

game over for snowbies, was there a worst year than this for even potential easterlies.

game over for snowbies, was there a worst year than this for even potential easterlies.

This year is up there with the horror winters of the 90s and early 00s.....

D

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

March It's so far out but if you want my opinion here you go. Going by my climate cycle data i noticed a strong connection with March 2013 also Artic surface area is currently corresponding to that so I certainly think it will be cooler than average. That's just my opinion am still learning about the irish climate for the last 12 years. Before i moved to Ireland my interest was in the tropics, cyclones and warmer climate that's where am from. There a great deal of interconnection between the northern and the southern hemisphere from my experience. I will stick around now that i have a bit more time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

derekon wrote: »
    This year is up there with the horror winters of the 90s and early 00s.....

D

Derekon you should work for met eireann your analysis of the different weather charts have being spot on so far this winter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Maybe not as bad but still pretty disappointing and terrible - 2016/17 which frequently had phantom easterlies on model output.

I wasn't here for it but I heard 2014/15 was pretty bad also in the forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Gonzo wrote: »
    sounds like we'll be back to a re-run of November and early December in terms of rain and mild temperatures for the forseeable future.

I assume its all that frigid air over the US pouring into the Atlantic thats causing the jet to fire up again??

Snowc wrote: »
    Derekon you should work for met eireann your analysis of the different weather charts have being spot on so far this winter :)

Aw Shucks.......

D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I think people are slightly overstating how disappointing the forecasts have been this year compared to others - we've had lots and lots of worse years where there were potential events that just shifted west in the last few hours. This year has fairly consistently killed off most potential before it even makes it out of FI!

Or maybe that's more disappointing for some - the lost thrill of the last minute runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

It's beautiful and very frosty in Dublin 5. If we don't get any more snow then this will be my most snowless winter since at least 2013-14 (and poorest winter)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Corofin co galway 02/02/19 08.55 temperature 0°C
    W8IrRWy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

I'm enjoying this cold snap. But to me it's no more than what a normal winter should be. Respectably low temps and lovely to come inside and feel the rush of heat in a warm home and tucking into a nice hearty soup. Back to the usual never never shyte next week I guess.:( Like a mini heat wave in summer it was nice while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Stunning day here in the north east, clear blue sky, crisp air, and the sun is shining, hate thinking that the atlantic muck is back next week

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Stunning day here in the north east, clear blue sky, crisp air, and the sun is shining, hate thinking that the atlantic muck is back next week

amazing day as well in south Meath, The thin layer of graupel from yesterday morning is still on the ground in the shade. I took advantage of the past 2 days and went for lots of walks. We could have done with cold, dry days like these after Storm Emma to enjoy the snow last March.

The outlook looks grim and unsettled so make the most of the last hour of sunshine today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The French models are now showing very or extremly windy in the NW and across Northern counties in the early hours of Mon Morning. Looking like Orange warning . Note that they are on their own with this wind strength. The others not showing it as strong. Will see if they are showing the same in the morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

French models back in line with the others this morning, just a run of the mill wet and windy night now.

Back to normal already across the country. 10C in south-western areas, frost long gone. Temperatures here in Meath 6C and rising. Will we see another frost before March 1st?, looking at this mornings GFS even a frost seems out of the question over the next 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gonzo wrote: »
    Back to normal already across the country. 10C in south-western areas, frost long gone. Temperatures here in Meath 6C and rising. Will we see another frost before March 1st?, looking at this mornings GFS even a frost seems out of the question over the next 2 weeks.

we have 4 here a/c to met.ie site

west mayo offshore

Bliss that that terrible cold has eased.. heavy rain now

Graces7 wrote: »
    we have 4 here a/c to met.ie site

west mayo offshore

Bliss that that terrible cold has eased.. heavy rain now

plenty of mild on the way, especially from next Friday. Temperatures could potentially reach 15C by the middle of the month if the very mild charts verify. February could turn out to be the mildest month of this winter if the current GFS charts verify. Our record high for February is 18.1C, we are unlikely to reach as high as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭squarecircles

anyone else notice bluebottles buzzing about the place,theres one buzzing around me as i type.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

anyone else notice bluebottles buzzing about the place,theres one buzzing around me as i type.

Did ya take out the bins?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

They like raw meat. Rotting raw meat.

horrible day in south Meath, damp wet mild muck. I'm glad I made the most of the last 2 days, possibly the only 2 really decent days of this winter so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Gosh this winter is so gloomy. So many days with horrible cloud down to the ground and mist.
    It would depress you.

Advertisement