Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    horrible day in south Meath, damp wet mild muck. I'm glad I made the most of the last 2 days, possibly the only 2 really decent days of this winter so far.

Not bad in Dublin 13, good sunny spells. A far cry from yesterday's glorious sights though. It has generally been alright since mid-January here with a dramatic improvement in sunshine from the horrible muck of December into the first half of January.

The first two days of February have already had more than 20% of December's total sunshine at Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The weather in this country is gas...the mild air arrives in the winter the majority of the time...and the cold air comes when its spring/early summer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    horrible day in south Meath, damp wet mild muck. I'm glad I made the most of the last 2 days, possibly the only 2 really decent days of this winter so far.

Same here, was out on the bike earlier and it felt cold to, fire is lit

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The end of the NAO forecast is interesting :D

nao.sprd2.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ECM ensembles for second half of February are starting to show more signs of northern blocking compared to yesterday. Of course that could not mean anything, but it's a microscopic sliver of hope that maybe something interesting might happen in the last 10 days of this month. However it does look like very little will change in the next 10 days or so with mild conditions dominating for the first half of February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Burundi service resumed in Letterkenny, pouring rain all afternoon. Rapid thaw underway now, footpaths are lethal with compacted ice but should hopefully be gone by morning

Edit: Just reread that, not sure how my phone managed to change normal to Burundi!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS from earlier very uncertain with what happens after next weekend. Anything could happen, the currently very mild GFS operational is in no way a guarantee of mild conditions for most of February. The GFS ensemble members really divided between very mild conditions lasting and quite a cold pattern developing mid month.

Will be interesting to see how the charts play out over the next week. Could we see a colder theme emerging from next weekend?

Latest chart for my home town of Dunshaughlin shows how uncertain things get after next weekend.

ens_image.php?geoid=64969&var=201&run=12&date=2019-02-03&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Depressing grey days with little or no sunshine for the foreseeable future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Lovely spring (like) morning in Dublin 5. Chilly enough, sunny and the birds are singing everywhere. :) . I wish the ground was drier but whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Lovely morning here in Castlebar with mostly clear skies and nice sunshine coming through now. Best day of the coming week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Some day out !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

km79 wrote: »
    Some day out !

Beautiful. Amazing what a blue sky does for the mood.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

km79 wrote: »
    Some day out !

Lovely Spring day out there!

Very nice day with lots of sunshine. February has certainly started off in a brilliant way.

https://twitter.com/snowbiewx/status/1092466574441803776?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Just back from a walk, and what a great evening it is out there

Great to see a real stretch in the evenings now as well, today was the first time leaving work where there was still some daylight in the sky. Only another week or two of living in perpetual darkness from Monday to Friday!

Here's a picture I took of Clontarf Golf Course at around 9:45am.

KoAu4bn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Just thinking here...shouldn’t this thread no longer be valid now that we are in spring? As per what is taught in the Irish national school curriculum: February 1st is thee first of spring....

KingJeremy wrote: »
    Just thinking here...shouldn’t this thread no longer be valid now that we are in spring? As per what is taught in the Irish national school curriculum: February 1st is thee first of spring....

This is a weather forum. Meteorologically, Winter takes place from December 1st to February 28th/29th.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    This is a weather forum. Meteorologically, Winter takes place from December 1st to February 28th/29th.

Absolutely 100% agree! Just baiting to see if I could get any nibbles.
    I lived the first half of my life in Australia where of course the seasons were opposite:
    Summer = 1st December to 28/29 Feb
    Autumn = 1st March to 31st May
    Winter = 1st June to 31st August
    Spring = 1st September to 30th November

I never understood why they didn’t follow the same dates here, just flipped.
    Anyone know why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Oh not this again!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Oh not this again!

Relax, I’m just messing with ya! Didn’t realize it was such a trigger :eek:

Relax, I’m just messing with ya! Didn’t realize it was such a trigger :eek:

Glad to hear it was a joke because I do find it annoying when people say it for real :pac:

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Glad to hear it was a joke because I do find it annoying when people say it for real :pac:

Me too!! I work in a Montessori and our theme this week is “Spring” ... I’ll have my teeth worn down to nothing by Friday with all the gritting of them :D

Seriously though...DOES anyone know why the seasons are taught as they are in school here & not as they should be (in line with the meteorological season)?

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

12 degrees tomorrow, herself will be in racing gear.

Seriously though...DOES anyone know why the seasons are taught as they are in school here & not as they should be (in line with the meteorological season)?

It makes sense in this country to be fair, we have an extremely nondescript climate where temperature in mid summer can sometimes be comparable to mid winter and there's typically little noticeable difference between November and February so it makes sense to align the seasons with the sun rather than temperature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Enjoying the mild weather in Dublin the last few days. As I'm settled back into a routine after Christmas and even running outside again, snow at this point would be disruptive and unwelcome therefore. It seems all is right with the world again given we've had our typical bland, mild and wet weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

yesterday was sheerly lovely. A sunny glory and calm and with still a snap in the air, A transitional day between the seasons; one foot in each!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Friday is looking tricky with some nasty winds possible.

Advertisement