Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

It feels like a cynical corporate rehash of season 1

Almost like it was designed by machine learning or something

Data
    Season 1 -> Audience like
    Season 2 -> Audience dislike

Question

what do?

Answer
    Remake Season 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Keplar240B wrote: »
    It feels like a cynical corporate rehash of season 1

Almost like it was designed by machine learning or something

Data
    Season 1 -> Audience like
    Season 2 -> Audience dislike

Question

what do?

Answer
    Remake Season 1
    Seems to be the case all right but it's not necessarily a bad thing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Was Season one even that good? The ending was such a let down for me. I think people were blown away by the pseudo intellectual ramblings of Matt McConaugheys character that they confused it for greatness. The story stared well but it really went nowhere in the end. Dare i say it but I think I preferred season two more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

4: I kinda wanted to see what was gonna happen there. Although, I imagine it'll just be everyone staring dumbfounded. Maybe there'll be a gunfight.

Given racism is a theme in this season, I'd say the native american might be the one to get done. He's going away for killing this guy with a claymore anyway. Either that or the kid.. but the kid is looking unlikely.

As for who did it, the mother and her cousin dying like they did raises their suspicion for me. She died in Vegas and he was found murdered from what I can tell. Was there some debt he was in and forced her to help out with? Did he take advantage of the family? But then, who killed the boy? Was it a cover up by the mayor guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Just a heads up for everyone that episode 5 will be released online tomorrow because of the Superbowl so you should probably download it early to avoid spoilers. If there even are any, the show is moving slowly but I expect it to pick up soon.

As for what's going on. I think the owner of the chicken factory where the mother used to work is actually the real father of Julie. We know Lucy, the mother, was cheating on the husband for years and it strikes me as being a little unusual that the owner wanted to set up a reward for the missing kids when the mother had stopped working there nearly a year ago, especially since he's on Safari in Africa. I wouldn't believe for a second that the owner of a major factory would take time out of his holiday to set up a reward for the missing children of a former worker, especially so quickly after they disappear.

I'm not sure if he has anything to do with it but if I had to follow that logic I'd say he had a falling out with the mother which led her to get fired from the job and she probably tried to keep Julie away from him. Since the kids mentioned going to see an "aunt" I'd say the owner has a sister who was close with Julie, so she was probably the woman sitting in the brown sedan car that keeps getting mentioned. I'd say she tried to kidnap Julie but didn't care about Will since he's not blood related so probably killed him by accident during the kidnap because he was trying to save his sister. Or maybe they intended to kill Will and leave the dolls around as a warning to the mother to keep her mouth shut. Especially since they found the dead body of the uncle in the quarry. I'd say he was probably passing the factory owner information on the kids and how to lure them to a secluded spot by spying on them through the peephole in the wall. He probably tried to blackmail the owner for money and got killed instead.

I think the setup comes after this, maybe from the Native American who probably found Will but knew if he reported it he would be blamed because the people were already wary of him approaching the kids. So he tried to give him a dignified resting place until the cops found him. I think that's what we are going to learn in the next episode when they interview him or search his house after the claymore explosion. They'll have him on murder charges anyway so he might be thinking I might as well tell them I moved the body. And that's where they set him up.

Anyway I'm rambling. I'm actually enjoying it for all the slowness. It definitely echoes season 1 more closely and I think the killer will be a big well connected local figure. Which is why I think the chicken factory owner is a bigger piece in this.

• Advertisement

That's the best theory I've read so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

That's the best theory I've read so far

Cheers! I try to always pay attention to the little stuff. Also just to add something I forgot, when they ask if the owner had kids, the manager said he had a daughter but that he lost her a few years ago i think. So that might either be a reference to Julie or simply showing why he would go so far to make sure he doesn't lose another daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

For anyone watching it on Sky, I checked the TV listings and Episode 5 will be shown in the early hours of Monday morning (as per usual).

There's a good few reasons to be suspicious of the mother (Lucy Purcell) and I'd be surprised if she turns out to be completely innocent.

The father (Tom Purcell) on the other hand seems like a decent enough bloke i.e. I don't he was involved in any of it.

Regarding the peephole in Will's bedroom, it appears either that Lucy's cousin Dan O'Brien was spying on Julie or else Will and Lucy were using it to pass notes to each other (remember that Hays found notes in the bedroom).

In the 2015 timeline... Do we know if Julie Purcell is still alive? Or Tom Purcell? We know that Lucy Purcell died of an overdose in Vegas in '88.

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Cheers! I try to always pay attention to the little stuff. Also just to add something I forgot, when they ask if the owner had kids, the manager said he had a daughter but that he lost her a few years ago i think. So that might either be a reference to Julie or simply showing why he would go so far to make sure he doesn't lose another daughter.

For what I can remember... the owner had lost a granddaughter and that's why he set up the children's charity. During that scene we see a photo of a young girl on the wall of the office, who I presume is the granddaughter (who had long blonde hair.... hmmmm)

Something smells foul with Hoyt Foods and it isn't just the chicken :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I like the slow pace, don't see what's wrong with actually building the story rather than having to give a "payoff" after 3 or 4 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

I like the slow pace, don't see what's wrong with actually building the story rather than having to give a "payoff" after 3 or 4 episodes.

I half agree but True Detective always sprinkles some action or plot twists throughout its arcs as well. The tracking shot or "at the end of every road" monologue in season 1 or thye man with birdmask scene in sesaon 2. The viewers have been told what an unstoppable badass purple hays is for 4 hours. We need to see it. And we will...... the claymores are primed and ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

Im enjoying this season as well after the car crash that was season 2. This is a welcome return to form. The racial undertones stuff is being handled with a surprisingly delicate touch - I mean season 1 was great but not subtle about anything really. The sense of place is palpable as well. I really feel like we are getting a feel for this small community. The three time shifts are handled excellently.I remember something Mathew Wiener said in one of his early madmen commentaries. 1960 is more like the 50s vis a vis fashion, music and social mores than the 60s because every new decade is really a continuation of the former decade for a while before it changes into the new zeitgeist. 1980 in Arkansas feels and looks a lot more like the 70s than the 80s and ditto for the 1990 scenes which feel and look very 1980s - and this is a small thing but is as it should be. Hays backstory is great and I cant believe that I didnt see it coming that Henry became a cop as well. I also think Amelia is a fascinating character and much stronger female cast then in previous shows.

there's slow pace and then there's relative nothingness.

veering towards the latter in episodes 3 and 4.

on past seasons, season 2 is not as bad as was said at the time, and season 1 not as good as was said at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

5: Well! That first scene! The episode was a bit more frontloaded with a fair amount of background story development later. The acting of senility that played out in the last scene was well done.
    Slydice wrote: »
    4: I kinda wanted to see what was gonna happen there. Although, I imagine it'll just be everyone staring dumbfounded. Maybe there'll be a gunfight.

Given racism is a theme in this season, I'd say the native american might be the one to get done. He's going away for killing this guy with a claymore anyway. Either that or the kid.. but the kid is looking unlikely.

As for who did it, the mother and her cousin dying like they did raises their suspicion for me. She died in Vegas and he was found murdered from what I can tell. Was there some debt he was in and forced her to help out with? Did he take advantage of the family? But then, who killed the boy? Was it a cover up by the mayor guy?

so that's the native american, everyone staring dumbfounded and then the gunfight out of the way.

More clues pointing to the sister and cousin being in Vegas. The phone call .. while it might feel pointed at the father .. had her not say him directly.. so when she was saying you.. it sounded like she was pointing to the "Establishment" .. the cops who work for the Mayor. He's still been showing up a fair amount too.

Strange if they gave it away so early though unless the point is the 3 timelines rather than the mystery. So it could all be a red herring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭moby2101

Just watched #5.

Superbly acted by Ali and Dorff(where has be been all these years, seems like he disappeared)...,,,,
    But it’s painfully slow.... starting to loose interest in that I think the ending is predictable enough. Hopefully I’m wrong and it’s going to be GREAT 🤣

so the end of episode 5 there - the two auld lads are set to solve it all in the present even though one of them is going the process of losing his memory?

ep 5 was a big improvement over 3 and 4 tho imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,689 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Has this aired here yet? Thought it was only out Sunday night in US. Might be worth throwing spoiler tags on until it's aired to be safe?

Eod100 wrote: »
    Has this aired here yet? Thought it was only out Sunday night in US. Might be worth throwing spoiler tags on until it's aired to be safe?

out early this week 'cos it's superbowl Sunday

glasso wrote: »
    out early this week 'cos it's superbowl Sunday

Ah thought when I looked HBO had it tonight and thought earlier streams had been out or something.. still tomorrow here yeah?

• Advertisement

Fantastic acting by the two at the end. Is this Dorff's "McConaissance" ??
    Another slow burner episode for me (for the most part).
    Loved the 'lights off' link between the past/future. Fantastic time cross over.
    Did not love the fact it took them ten years to realise that
    the bag had been planted / there was no wear and tear from the explosion on it. talk about being sh*t detectives!!
    :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Fantastic acting by the two at the end. Is this Dorff's "McConaissance" ??
    Another slow burner episode for me (for the most part).
    Loved the 'lights off' link between the past/future. Fantastic time cross over.
    Did not love the fact it took them ten years to realise that
    the bag had been planted / there was no wear and tear from the explosion on it. talk about being sh*t detectives!!
    :p:p
    To be fair, he says there was never a trial. Assuming the two lads weren't present for the clean up, one being wounded, the other dealing with the aftermath of shooting a guy, someone else may have been in charge of bagging the bag.

errlloyd wrote: »
    To be fair, he says there was never a trial. Assuming the two lads weren't present for the clean up, one being wounded, the other dealing with the aftermath of shooting a guy, someone else may have been in charge of bagging the bag.

I know, but they were working on the case back in 80,
    surely they would have seen THE main piece of evidence that condemned Woodard.
    Found it a bit unbelievable to be honest that it took ten years to click. Was expecting more of a revelation (something else) when Hays was staring at the scene photos.
    Even the VW guy they visited in the kitchen says theyre sh*t detectives if they have to come back to him ten years later!!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Interesting story on the laptop ;)

Dx-LfPVX0AEQW7h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 60,419 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I have always liked Dorff and he is a standout for me in this.

Great episode. Did Hays' wife Amelia write the mystery note?! He found similarities between her book and the note. Bizarre. But Hays says later to Roland that Lucy Purcell, mother of the missing children, wrote the note!?

I'm almost as confused as Hays.

Just watched those bits again. Amelia was quoting Lucy in the book.

Slydice wrote: »
    5: Well! That first scene! The episode was a bit more frontloaded with a fair amount of background story development later. The acting of senility that played out in the last scene was well done.

so that's the native american, everyone staring dumbfounded and then the gunfight out of the way.

More clues pointing to the sister and cousin being in Vegas. The phone call .. while it might feel pointed at the father .. had her not say him directly.. so when she was saying you.. it sounded like she was pointing to the "Establishment" .. the cops who work for the Mayor. He's still been showing up a fair amount too.

Strange if they gave it away so early though unless the point is the 3 timelines rather than the mystery. So it could all be a red herring.

I'll have to watch it back but think Lucy (assuming it is her) said something along the lines of "that man who says he's my father". You'd assume that was her actual rather but who else could she have seen on tv? I don't think Hoyt (who some speculated might be her real father) did TV ads so was assuming it was the press conference. That would leave her actual father or someone else. I dunno why but I've a feeling the Attorney General has something to do it but maybe that's just remembering a similar connection in S1.
    Whatever about whether Lucy's mothers death was an actual suicide, did they say whether O Brien's death was suicide or murder? It sounds like Hays and West may have killed someone. Unless I'm reading too much into their last conversation. Possibly him or is that too obvious?

We never found out what happened to the father after 90. We know Roland helped him sober up and get his life back on track....but everyone else we know what happened to after that. Uncle dies in the quarry, the mother dies in Vegas...but what happens to the father? They talk of "killing" a man, or doing wrong by someone....or are least that is the sense i get from their conversations...so im wondering...apart from framing woddard, do they also have a part to play in another innocent mans downfall?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Nothing better than looking forward every week to a good TV show, which this isn’t. It’s bang average with lots of actors mumbling their lines.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

To be fair it reeks of mediocrity the magic is gone. Time is a flat circle and all

Advertisement