Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

The opening 2 episodes were brilliant, Ali is absolutely top notch playing the increasingly confused older version of himself, the daughter is dead too right?

Reckon the wife/teacher is involved in the disappearance, and the daughter now lives with the uncle who was questioned about the magazines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

The opening 2 episodes were brilliant,

Spoilers?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

jones wrote: »
    Spoilers?

The episodes have aired so spoilers are fair game, as per the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

What's the deal with episode two?

Was it an online one episode ahead thing?

I'd rather not watch it if it means a two week gap between episodes at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Cina wrote: »
    What's the deal with episode two?

Was it an online one episode ahead thing?

I'd rather not watch it if it means a two week gap between episodes at some point.

Both shown on Sky Atlantic last night.

If anyone wants to watch first few episodes but not stream, Now TV have it and do a 2 week trail. Just have to remember to cancel after the trial obviously.

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    Both shown on Sky Atlantic last night.

If anyone wants to watch first few episodes but not stream, Now TV have it and do a 2 week trail. Just have to remember to cancel after the trial obviously.
    Ah cool, so it was a back-to-back opener then. Thanks.

The opening 2 episodes were brilliant, Ali is absolutely top notch playing the increasingly confused older version of himself, the daughter is dead too right?

Reckon the wife/teacher is involved in the disappearance, and the daughter now lives with the uncle who was questioned about the magazines.

Ah that would make sense about Hays' daughter.

Thought first 2 episodes were interesting. Thought it was a bit mumbley at times so hard to catch dialogue. The switching of chronological order was a bit confusing in 1st episode but think it worked better in the 2nd. Guess it could be deliberate to portray present day Hays' confusion.

It did remind me of the 1st series with the weird dolls and sense of foreboding.

Interesting where will they go with it. Seems to be bringing in themes of racism, war, powerful public figures etc so deals with a lot.

Guess the deposition is used to bring us back to past and with questions over handling of it originally, Hays will try help find out what happened but will struggle with his memories, but other than that pretty open as to where it can go next in remaining 6 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

Really loved the first 2 episodes so far, acting is Really good and love the weird cult vibe to it.
    (Absolutely hated season 2, thought VV's "acting" was some of the worst tripe ever to be seen on t.v.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Really loved the first 2 episodes so far, acting is Really good and love the weird cult vibe to it.
    (Absolutely hated season 2, thought VV's "acting" was some of the worst tripe ever to be seen on t.v.)

Totally agree. And his missus too, they were both embarrassingly bad. To this day I don't know how I managed to watch it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

Totally agree. And his missus too, they were both embarrassingly bad. To this day I don't know how I managed to watch it all.

It was shocking to me, these people are paid millions and fair city wouldn't be as bad at times! I was in the same room as the series being played but spent the time on my phone after the first few episodes as it was total trash to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I think I blocked out much of season 2 but I think most of the blame was the mish mash of directors used. That dude from Fast and Furious really shouldn't be let anywhere near this kind of stuff. One scene I cannot forget is the last of the 1st episode I think where the camera circle panned around all the characters. It looked like a child shot it as a scene for Marvel movie.

TBF, I think VV grew into the roll and played it well towards the end but Colin Farrell, imo, carried the first half of the season. I'm no fan but he was dynamite in the roll in the early episodes. VV's wife was shocking alright and the other two were pretty mediocre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

Eod100 wrote: »
    Ah that would make sense about Hays' daughter.
    Hay's daughter is dead? So he can't remember she's dead?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

I think I blocked out much of season 2 but I think most of the blame was the mish mash of directors used. That dude from Fast and Furious really shouldn't be let anywhere near this kind of stuff. One scene I cannot forget is the last of the 1st episode I think where the camera circle panned around all the characters. It looked like a child shot it as a scene for Marvel movie.

TBF, I think VV grew into the roll and played it well towards the end but Colin Farrell, imo, carried the first half of the season. I'm no fan but he was dynamite in the roll in the early episodes. VV's wife was shocking alright and the other two were pretty mediocre.

S2 was pretty rushed and characters were under utilized. Honestly it shouldve just been about Ray and Frank at most. The atmosphere was bland and generic, some cool overhead shots but mostly lacking the genius direction of Fukunaga.

Thankfully Season 3 so far is much better. Saulnier directed both episodes and he’s made some very good gritty crime movies.

Unfortunately rest of the episodes have a mish mash of directors. It can still go downhill but so far S3 is a solid 9/10

Degag wrote: »
    Hay's daughter is dead? So he can't remember she's dead?

Yeah that's what op said. I hadn't picked up on it tbh! Yeah focus on photo where she looked younger was a hint I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 29,679 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

If all episodes were out, I would gladly sit down and watch them all, has me hooked already.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Excellent stuff so far, looking forward to next week. Didn't feel the 2 hours going last night at all, they went too fast! Mahershala Ali was fantastic. I also have the impression that Hayes's daughter is dead and that he may be in the early stages of dementia or something along those lines.

I did like Season 2. I watched the first episode of season 2 a few years ago when it first came out and didn't go back to it for a few years. I only watched it in full just before Christmas when I got a cheap Now TV subscription. The plot was very dense I thought and I had to watch the odd explainer video on Youtube as I was going but once I got my head around it I did enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Yeah got the vibe hays daughter is dead too..."she's living in LA". Also he mentioned his two kids to the interviewer in Ep1 and the son gives him a weird look.
    Memory loss/ dementia is such a great plot device...allows the director to completely fluck with our heads.
    Acting is top notch. Ali knocking it out of the park.
    The girl had a drawing of a marriage scene in Ep1 when they go through her room....probably completely off but the dolls reminded me of the bride!

Enjoyed the first two episodes.

Just scanning the rotten tomatoes critic summaries seems to praise Ali but indicate that season 3 overall plays it too safe. probably as a reaction to season two.

Watched the second episode last night.

It's much better than S2, although that doesn't say much, because I reckon staring at a wall for an hour whilst bashing my head with a hammer would've been better than S2.

Does seem to be very similar to S1 at times, though, a bit too similar. Multiple timelines, where it's set, the dolls/cult theme, murder of children, partner detectives with different outlooks, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Wasn't a big fan of it as the consensus is here. Just strikes me as a poor man's S1. At least s2 tried to be different, although fecking it up

• Advertisement

Unearthly wrote: »
    Wasn't a big fan of it as the consensus is here. Just strikes me as a poor man's S1. At least s2 tried to be different, although fecking it up

does seem that they are playing it a bit too safe as I read from rotten tomatoes. don't expect there to be a pedo ring tho in the end - that would be too similar.

thought that the start was fairly solid though but I expect that to tail off a bit. hopefully it won't turn into a complete guessing game about what the lead character can actually remember correctly due to his dementia. I suspect that that could be tiresome after a while.

season 2 is not as bad as people say imo - did come good towards/at the end (aside from the trite sentimental bit about Colin Farrell's character having a posthumous baby with Rachel McAdams)

Unearthly wrote: »

But after being burned by s2 I think they were always gonna go back to what made is successful. Don't think format was gonna vary wildly but think plot and characters will make it's own thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Love it. Yeah it's similar to season one but that's not a bad thing. Great cast too, and I like the three eras thing - great hair and make-up job of "olding" him up. "Memory" is the obvious motif and looks like he's slipping into dementia.

Don't know that his daughter died for sure. Thought it seemed like she left but there's a big secret as to why.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Anyone here feeling the need to scratch that second season itch go watch LA confidential (1997) Its one of the source materials for season 2 and Is similarly part of the ‘True Crime’ literary adaptations.

3 detectives, corruption, sex traficking, and lots of action. Similar beats and great acting all around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭steve_r

Watched the first 2 episodes and really enjoyed it. Mahershala Ali is an amazing actor.

Was suprised at how negative the avclub review of it was. I get that it's similar to Season 1 - but how exactly is that a bad thing? S2 tried to be different and didn't succeed, in fact I can barely remember any of S2 from a plot perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Watched the first 2 last night and love it, impossible to figure out where the storyline is going with Julie but dying for next week!

steve_r wrote: »
    ? S2 tried to be different and didn't succeed, in fact I can barely remember any of S2 from a plot perspective.

true - . all I really remember is Rachel McAdams prancing around in her undies and the surreal Vince Vaughan death scene in the desert.

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Anyone here feeling the need to scratch that second season itch go watch LA confidential (1997) Its one of the source materials for season 2 and Is similarly part of the ‘True Crime’ literary adaptations.

3 detectives, corruption, sex traficking, and lots of action. Similar beats and great acting all around

given that this was one of the best movies of that decade and by now renowned as a classic I imagine that most people have seen it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Love it. Yeah it's similar to season one but that's not a bad thing. Great cast too, and I like the three eras thing - great hair and make-up job of "olding" him up. "Memory" is the obvious motif and looks like he's slipping into dementia.

Don't know that his daughter died for sure. Thought it seemed like she left but there's a big secret as to why.

Yeah, thats the best "old man" make up job I've ever seen on TV. I had to look closely to make sure it was the same actor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Yeah, thats the best "old man" make up job I've ever seen on TV. I had to look closely to make sure it was the same actor.
    It really is excellently done. Even the most top quality programmes don't usually get that right. Not easy of course. Although Christian Bale in Vice looks similarly well worked on.

Advertisement