Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

My theory is do they, or more specifically, hays botch the investigation on purpose to covered for somebody?....dare not speak its name!
    Or does Roland pull rank as lieutenant and send and innocent man down?
    Was thinking there a big ass mother flucking gun in the bag, gonna go all Vietnam on the guys that beat him up.
    Loving the season so far, but found his episode a small but hard to understand with some of the mumbling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Personally I think the show is ok. It’s definitely not brilliant or must watch imo. The next episode really needs to have something big happen, a good set piece or a major revelation would be nice. Anything to break up the standard TV fare of ‘lead characters child goes missing in supermarket only to be found a few minutes later’ or ‘local hicks beat up local oddball.’

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

errlloyd wrote: »
    It seems that they do botch it, but that the incentive for botching it is giving the DA / Police Commissioner a big win in election year. They probably botch it by setting up that Native American guy. A popular fall guy in their small town. I am not sure what was in the bag he was carrying, it did look like a body bag, but that would be too obvious.

Yeah I was thinking it looked like a bag of guns or something. Dunno how it would be a body of the Purcell kid is meant to be alive. Unless there's another victim.

Personally I think the show is ok. It’s definitely not brilliant or must watch imo. The next episode really needs to have something big happen, a good set piece or a major revelation would be nice. Anything to break up the standard TV fare of ‘lead characters child goes missing in supermarket only to be found a few minutes later’ or ‘local hicks beat up local oddball.’

Agreed. A bit too much hyperbole about it. Hopefully won't end up being a Fargo season 3.
    Personally don't care for the dementia / unreliable narrator device too much. Next episode needs to be a good one.

Fairly mixed episodes. Good parts alright but do think it is a bit derivative of 1st series. Hopefully picks up in next few episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The last two episodes are not really doing it for me. It is waaaay to vague in parts. There does not seem to be any glimpse of a sub-plot. No pay-offs and more mystery created. As I said in an earlier post it is simple to create a mystery, the art is how to deliver the reveal. I am not getting any pay off as a viewer at all. I will finish it, but if the ending is that we never find out where the girl is, while not finding out who killed the boy..... I would imagine that I will end up ****ing my widescreen out the window, it has happened before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 mistearious

Ep 3 and 4 .

Yawn....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    The last two episodes are not really doing it for me. It is waaaay to vague in parts. There does not seem to be any glimpse of a sub-plot. No pay-offs and more mystery created. As I said in an earlier post it is simple to create a mystery, the art is how to deliver the reveal. I am not getting any pay off as a viewer at all. I will finish it, but if the ending is that we never find out where the girl is, while not finding out who killed the boy..... I would imagine that I will end up ****ing my widescreen out the window, it has happened before.

Maybe go for a walk instead!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Like others have claimed it’s good but nothing special. It has tried to aling more with the feel of the first season to try and recapture some of the magic but it feels generic in this regard.

It’s watchable but a little flat with no real momentum. I am only watching cause of what the first season was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Not liking this season at all I'm afraid.

The ending to 4th episode was decent though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭CiaranW

Anyone else find it real hard to hear what they are saying?
    It's like they are talking under their breath at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

CiaranW wrote:
    Anyone else find it real hard to hear what they are saying? It's like they are talking under their breath at times.

There was 2 parts last night when we had to throw on the subtitles, the '90 investigation scene where they were assigning jobs and the scene in present day where he was surrounded by the Vietnamese guys were very hard to understand but its a common issue on all episodes I find

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

I think it's gonna be a disappointing ending. I mean we know from previous episodes already they don't find the girl or killer of the boy. Or worse it was all in his head all along

E mac wrote: »
    I think it's gonna be a disappointing ending. I mean we know from previous episodes already they don't find the girl or killer of the boy. Or worse it was all in his head all along

Unless they do in the present?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

CiaranW wrote: »
    Anyone else find it real hard to hear what they are saying?
    It's like they are talking under their breath at times.
    There was 2 parts last night when we had to throw on the subtitles, the '90 investigation scene where they were assigning jobs and the scene in present day where he was surrounded by the Vietnamese guys were very hard to understand but its a common issue on all episodes I find

It's a constant struggle for me to understand them. The accent and the amount of mumbling makes it tricky. I struggled with Season 1 as well though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I think it's really good but the bar was set so high by season one and I don't think it's possible for anything to match it, so anything is gonna be something of a disappointment or anti climax really.

I don't mind the vagueness once it builds to something - I like a sense of mystery.

But yeah the muttering and mumbling (and having to rewind and turn up the volume too high or put on subtitles in some people's cases) this season and season one, can be very grating - pretty disrespectful to the audience too. It's possible to sound authentic and still be coherent (I mean it is the case most of the time).

Eod100 wrote: »
    Unless they do in the present?

possibly in which case the son might yet have a big part to play

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Did anyone else find the scene with the children's mother and the wife/teacher difficult to watch? Her top wasn't exactly flattering.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭CiaranW

There's a subtitles button!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

If they pull that one, there will be no going back. I would imagine that it gets solved in the modern timeline. Still a lot of mystery
    surrounds where the wife is now, what is the story with his daughter? Also where is Roland West ?
    I was hoping for these reveals last night, if they are not coming in the next episode it has the potential to become complete garbage.
    Who cares about the Indian bloke, he is obviously the red herring at this stage?

I started watching a whodunnit called " Mosaic" starring Sharon Stone of all people. I have only watched 2 episodes, but it is better. It might be a cheaper production but at least it has me guessing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

sabat wrote: »
    Did anyone else find the scene with the children's mother and the wife/teacher difficult to watch? Her top wasn't exactly flattering.
    Kinda more focused on other stuff besides her (teacher or mother?) top! Yeah it was difficult to watch the mom turn on the teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Still a lot of mystery surrounds where the wife is now.

His wife is dead sure. Think that was revealed in the first episode.

On the mumbling thing, found it hard in episode three to hear some of it. But watched with the headphones in last night and it was grand.

Why didn't they scrutinise the children's dodgy uncle when they disappeared?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭jv2000

I have to say that this reminds me a lot of Sharp Objects in terms of the pacing of the story. In any given episode not a lot seems to happen but there are subtle layers there. In the age of phones and iPads it is unfortunately one of those shows where you need to give it your full attention - a crazy thought indeed!

I am not sure how this story will pan out, I am interested in it though and generally like the characters. Whilst the scene between the mother and teacher was a tough one to watch it was actually the one scene where I felt like we were about to make a breakthrough.

I am shocked that Hayes has not read his wife's book fully yet, there could be something in there that could spark some inspiration for solving the case - she clearly did her own investigation independent of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Why didn't they scrutinise the children's dodgy uncle when they disappeared?

I found that a bit odd as well. Hayes & Roland seemed content to let him go after the Will's funeral... He did have an alibi but still. When the investigation opens back up again in '90 the current whereabouts of the uncle is a focus again

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Who cares about the Indian bloke, he is obviously the red herring at this stage?
    I'm guessing he becomes the fall guy for the murder of the boy.It was mentioned in one of the episodes they got the wrong man originally something to that effect

yabadabado wrote: »
    I'm guessing he becomes the fall guy for the murder of the boy.It was mentioned in one of the episodes they got the wrong man originally something to that effect

I thought they were about to pin it on the teenage boy in the latest episode

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Im really liking it ok not as good as the first season but really good all the same cant wait for the next episodes.

I thought they were about to pin it on the teenage boy in the latest episode

Not sure they think it's him or just putting pressure on him to tell then when he saw the kid last. Thought uncle's body was found in a quarry years later. Unless he was released later if new evidence came out. I've a feeling it's someone else altogether that they got convicted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Agree about the last 2 episodes being weak. There was no mystery or suspense or much else other than a meandering story jumping between timelines. It's gotta be missing the Fukunaga effect. It has the feel of series one with none of the punch.

Nic Pizzolatto and Daniel Sackheim directed the last two episodes. They direct the rest of them. :(

Advertisement