Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

glasso wrote: »
    given that this was one of the best movies of that decade and by now renowned as a classic I imagine that most people have seen it tbh

Stop being obtuse. Im just recommending a similarly good movie

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Stop being obtuse. Im just recommending a similarly good movie

and I was just pointing out that everyone has most likely seen this movie which you were recommending to watch.

tbh I wouldn't even say that it's of the same mood.

something like Zodiac (which also most would have seen I would guess) would be more similar in terms of a movie with similar atmosphere and structure imo to seasons 1 and 3 (even though the killer was never conclusively identified). there are too many action scenes in L.A Confidential to be similar to seasons 1 and 3 and the majority of it takes place in a continuous timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

and I was just pointing out that everyone has most likely seen this movie which you were recommending to watch.

tbh I wouldn't even say that it's of the same mood.

something like Zodiac (which also most would have seen I would guess) would be more similar in terms of a movie with similar atmosphere and structure imo to seasons 1 and 3 (even though the killer was never conclusively identified). there are too many action scenes in L.A Confidential to be similar to seasons 1 and 3 and the majority of it takes place in a continuous timeline.

Hence why sk8rboii said to scratch the season 2 itch. ;)

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Hence why sk8rboii said to scratch the season 2 itch. ;)

oops! my bad on that one!

wouldn't have thought that anyone would have a T D season 2 itch.

well then Zodiac for 1 and 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sorry if its been asked but is this one ep a week or has it all been dumped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Thargor wrote:
    Sorry if its been asked but is this one ep a week or has it all been dumped?

First 2 have been aired. Rest are one a week I think

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Those 2 episodes were top quality! Mahershala Ali outstanding as usual!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Slydice wrote: »

If you've seen him in Green Book (he's a very good actor - even more so in that movie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭Glebee

Going to wait for at least five episodes to air before I get stuck into this. Seems like a good start though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Mc Love wrote: »
    If you've seen him in Green Book (he's a very good actor - even more so in that movie)
    And in Moonlight.

Can't wait to see Green Book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Slydice wrote: »

I don't watch drama on Tv. I was flicking the other night and stumbled on episode 2. This guy was a tour de force and pulled me in. I set the box to record the series and read the plot of the first episode on wikipedia.

When all is done, I'll get hold of series 1 and 2 (I gather they are self-contained).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I have not seen much of Marshal Ali besides this and the first season of Marvels Luke Cage in which he was by far the best thing about. He is a fantastic actor.

Really enjoying season 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

• Registered Users Posts: 85,887 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

steve_r wrote: »
    Watched the first 2 episodes and really enjoyed it. Mahershala Ali is an amazing actor.

Was suprised at how negative the avclub review of it was. I get that it's similar to Season 1 - but how exactly is that a bad thing? S2 tried to be different and didn't succeed, in fact I can barely remember any of S2 from a plot perspective.

He is turning into one of this generation's best and likely to pick up another Oscar too this year for Green Book

I was very impressed by the first two episodes, hope the series is just as good

Small bit off topic but saw Green Book last night and yes, he is excellent in that too.
    Fantatsic actor .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Small bit off topic but saw Green Book last night and yes, he is excellent in that too.
    Fantatsic actor .

Thanks for the heads up. Just watched that and it's the best feel good movie I've seen in years! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Thanks for the heads up. Just watched that and it's the best feel good movie I've seen in years! :D

Agreed, wonderful movie, the two leads were fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Bingewatched the three episodes there.
    Would keep going if they were all up. It’s very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Third episode is top notch. Great season so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Just finished episode 3 just now. It is definitely worth checking out. However they are going to have to give us some payoffs soon. I suppose the strength of any whodunnit or crime drama is to give the viewer a few clues. I did find episode 3 a bit vague and very lateral, it seemed to raise more questions and a few possible red herrings.
    When he found the toys etc, when were they found on the 1980's timeline? Days, hours after he found the boy?
    The detective was very friendly with the dad, who appears to have found god, is this significant with the praying hands on the kid?

Overall it is pretty good, I just hope it has a decent ending. It is easy to raise a mystery, but as a viewer I need my reveals...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    The detective was very friendly with the dad, who appears to have found god, is this significant with the praying hands on the kid?

I got the impression the detective turned out to be his AA sponsor, and there's a bit of God in the AA.

Agreed this episode not quite as good as the first two. There were times I thought season one dragged (heresy, I know) and this was a little reminiscent of it. Still holding me fairly tight though

Episode three was a bit of a snoozefest I thought. I'm not sure what it accomplished.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Did anyone see any significance in the ending?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Loving this so far

Eod100 wrote: »
    Did anyone see any significance in the ending?

no, other than the obvious fact that the guy was going to work on the case in the 1990 timeline when they found the girl's fingerprints.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

no, other than the obvious fact that the guy was going to work on the case in the 1990 timeline when they found the girl's fingerprints.

I was more thinking when his wife appeared in that dream. Something about what he found in the woods? Must watch it back

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

3: That episode was well done. I was on edge in some of those scenes! Especially when he imagined the wife talking to him. Then jumping around in time. It feels like it's giving us a similar experience to the old man trying to piece it together. I wonder if he's forgotten some sort of complicity.

Did they botch/sabotage the investigation? Thats the feeling i got from the interviewer and the ghostly wife appearance. Obviously we know the person they put behind bars is due to walk...but did they set him/her up i wonder?
    Old Hays is piecing together the truth and it seems like hes not gonna like what he finds. Touching on suicide with the gun.

Edit: does it all point to the wife, as previously suspected? Hays finds something that links her to the murder/woods..maybe in the 90s and buries it. It wasn't a black man the old guy saw but a black woman..?? Also anything in the fact there were 3 kids in the beetle but they only showed them interviewing 2. The shots of the 3rd guy are all blurred out, face obscured. All speculation of course!

Did they botch/sabotage the investigation? Thats the feeling i got from the interviewer and the ghostly wife appearance. Obviously we know the person they put behind bars is due to walk...but did they set him/her up i wonder?
    Old Hays is piecing together the truth and it seems like hes not gonna like what he finds. Touching on suicide with the gun.

Edit: does it all point to the wife, as previously suspected? Hays finds something that links her to the murder/woods..maybe in the 90s and buries it. It wasn't a black man the old guy saw but a black woman..?? Also anything in the fact there were 3 kids in the beetle but they only showed them interviewing 2. The shots of the 3rd guy are all blurred out, face obscured. All speculation of course!

don't see it that the wife was involved, especially seeing how she wrote the book about it.

the investigation - they mentioned that they got the wrong guy so it wasn't very effective and if it wasn't botched / unsolved would be no story for the series :)

although I don't think that she died slipping off a slide in school playground either - maybe she was getting close and got whacked as she was investigating it effectively herself also - we'll see.

hopefully there might be a bit of plot progression in the next episode!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It seems that they do botch it, but that the incentive for botching it is giving the DA / Police Commissioner a big win in election year. They probably botch it by setting up that Native American guy. A popular fall guy in their small town. I am not sure what was in the bag he was carrying, it did look like a body bag, but that would be too obvious.

Advertisement